I'm looking for a second car for weekend cruising and occasional competition (autocross, drag racing, rallycross...

I'm looking for a second car for weekend cruising and occasional competition (autocross, drag racing, rallycross, track days, etc.). I've decided on either a 1992-1995 Corvette LT1 or 1998-2002 Camaro LS1. 6-speed either way. Which should I buy?

Perhaps this?
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6008219694.html

Other urls found in this thread:

sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5990692055.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

man those catfish sure are fucking ugly

The LT1 is a better sounding engine but that's about all it has going for it over the LS1. Too bad the LS1 Fbodies have such an ugly front end.

I definitely prefer the looks and chassis of the Corvette over the Camaro. But an LS1 Camaro is far cheaper than an LS1 Corvette and it's around the same or even cheaper than an LT1 Corvette.

The LS1 is a great engine. Very easy to get lots of power out of it for not too much money.

But you do live in California so you will be quite limited on what mods you can do to it.

Corvette is a sports car

its better for your purpose

miata

True, fortunately there's a huge aftermarket for that engine so I should be able to find enough go-fast parts with E.O. numbers to meet my power goal. Bolt-ons, cam and tune should do the trick. If I went LT1, I'd eventually buy the AFR Eliminator heads, which are smog legal.

not sure how youre going to make a corvette/camaro autocross, drag race, rallycross, and take it to the track

True, but they're more expensive. The best I can find in my area right now is
sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5990692055.html
and it costs more than the LS1 Camaro and the hood is fucked up (look at the driver's side fender), which would be expensive to repair/replace because fiberglass.

Fuck off faggot

Definitely fuck rallycross.
It looks fun but you need a dedicated car for that.

If you build a car to an autocross class you'll end up with a track-able car.

If you're modifying your car at some point you'll have to choose between drag racing and auto-x/tracking.

I don't know if it was just a thing with my Camaro but I had an LT1 throw a crank bearing at 80k miles which required a full rebuild.

That blows, man. From what I've read in forums, I don't think that's a common issue with the LT1 (like the IMS bearing issue in Porsche engines) but hey, I could be wrong. I guess that leaves a good excuse to upgrade your engine while you're inside it, right?

I own a 98 ss. Got the meme magnaflow and intake from an ls6 and it's alright. For the same price I've built a c5 a6 2.7t that has more power and a lot quicker

The money spent preparing and building the Camaro will be wasted when you realize a stock 120k mile C5 Corvette will blow it away all around.

Get a Corvette/350Z/S2K or look for a used WRX with a blown motor to build and swap in.

I'd figure out how to swing a C5 vette somehow.

But if you must get an F-body, get a Trans Am

>But if you must get an F-body, get a Trans Am
Paying the f-body meme tax

don't do that they cost way more

>S2K swap

>sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5990692055.html

Well-maintained C4s are still competitive at autocross events surprisingly. On a road course, you better know what you're doing, and have some good tires/brakes/fresh suspension, or you'll be giving the point-by a lot with only 300hp.

I'm pretty most C4s you find will still on the same 20+ year old shocks and bushings, and it will suck on a road course.

Quite a few C4s competed at my local autocross last season and they did very well, almost to the point of dominating.

C5 isn't in my price range. They're literally double the cost of a Camaro LS1.

Bumping for a yes or no on the Camaro

There's gotta be some front-end mods you can do to get rid of that ugly front bumper.

I don't think it's that bad. I guess you can use a 1993-1997 front clip if you want.

Before I picked up my c5z I had a 2000 z28. Can't speak on the c4, but the vette is a completely different type of vehicle (muscle/pony vs sports). You get a beefy rear end in an f body and it will take a lot of abuse. You do hard launches on stock 10 bolt with 6 speed and it will explode. What is your budget op?

>You get a beefy rear end in an f body and it will take a lot of abuse. You do hard launches on stock 10 bolt with 6 speed and it will explode.
Fucking this.
That 10 bolt is known for blowing with stock power in manual cars.
Replace it with a 12 bolt, 8.8", or 9".
I really would like to upgrade shit on my '99 Z28, but oh well.

Not the one you linked to. It has shit wheels, cant tell if they are aftermarket or dipped OEMs. Who takes interior pics of a car in the dark.

Keep looking.

They look like dipped OEM.

A FUCKING FISH

Problem you'll have is a lot of f bodies are driven hard. Especially up north where you're at. But there also should be an abundance to choose from I imagine

GET THIS FUCKING CUNT OFF THAT CAR REEEEEEEEE

the catfish is cool, but the ws6 is cooler. get the ws6

mx5

My budget is about $6000 for the car itself. But the cheaper the better.

For $6000, just look for a WRX with a blown motor and swap a built one in, alternatively a cheap 240SX/FC RX7.

A F-Body/Mustang can't turn, it grips well and can go fast but won't give confidence when cornering and takes a ton of work to feel as good/fast as a stock worn out sports car.

A Miata takes a good amount of work to go fast in a straight line (200-250whp, turbo kit).

A 350Z could work if you find a supercharger kit.

LS1.

If there is ONE thing gmc has done right, its the LS1. The thing is damn near bullet proof and your able to pull out more power with investing very little.

So... Corvette then?

Dude lol what is your fucking obsession with the corvette?

Pretty much, if you can find a decent C5 or at least LT1 C4.

The interior sucks and it rattles and the wiring isn't the best but it's fast and handles well.

That's the topic of this thread... Camaro LS1 vs Corvette LT1. So I'm not sure why you're talking about jap crap like the Miata and 240sx.

what were they thinking when designing this infernal machine? what was going through their minds as they turned a decent looking car into a hideous abomination?

>Not rallying your LT1 camaro

You're gonna be slow but guaranteed to be sideways.