Is Humvee a capable offroader? i know its primarily used as a militry a to b transport vehicle...

is Humvee a capable offroader? i know its primarily used as a militry a to b transport vehicle,but is it a decent enough offroader for the military in offroad conditions?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=CXvxIy4YupI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The H1, yes. The others, no.

They're pretty Damn capable. But also limited by the independent suspension all around. Even with the hindrance of an independent suspension They're much more capable than nearly any other stock vehicle

Yes, these things can go all kinds of places.

They are more than just transport. They are used in scouting too, which is the last place you want to be caught on a road or in the flat open.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=CXvxIy4YupI

Yes very capable. But they are also very wide. Usually can't fit on regular trails or third world roads.

Yes. Source: I've driven those bastards over all kinds of crap.

they were designed to fit in yuroshit train tunnels

which are bigger than roads

Yeah and they're a hell of a lot of fun when you can get 'em off the beaten track. Think of them being more of heavy duty pre-runners than mountain conquering safari vehicles.

I've been to a few 3rd would countries and I've never seen a road more narrow than a humvee.

They were design to drive in the tracks of tracked amored vehicles.

No. Routinely beaten off-road by Land Rover, at least when raced in Iraq.

>limited by the independent suspension
>hindrance of an independent suspension
And a big beam axle trailing on the ground is so much better?

Wrong, tripuck. They were designed to fit in the tracks cleared for armoured vehicles.

That goes without saying.

I think they're a blast to drive off road. Pretty damn big when driving on road, but totally doable.

I'll also add that I'd probably just recommend an old Jeep for most people.

That you're wrong? Yeah. The tripcode says that easily.

Yes, but also not road legal and you aren't allowed to cross the border with a surplus vehicle. It's expensive to get them up to par, so get a tow vehicle if your state doesn't allow them to be legalized.

Go on steelsoldiers and get to learning if you still want one.

H1 is Hummer, not a humvee

They are ok, if you realy want a big ofroad vehicle i suggest a Unimog.
A unimog has more ground clearance due to its portal axes, a better power/weight ratio and isnĀ“t as wide as a tank.

You do know that the H1 and the Humvee were nearly identical right?

In appearance, yes

what exactly was I wrong about?

FRAME
L
E
X

Yes, but some of it's features do limit how you can use it.
The independent suspension with portal boxes keeps the differentials up and out of the way but limits suspension travel.
The extra gearing in the portal boxes is great for crawling, but limits top speed and kills fuel economy at highway speed.
The wide track and low COG cuts down on rollover risk but can be a limiting factor if you're trying to fit it down tight ATV trails.
The weight allows it to dig down and bite solid ground, but can also cause it to sink and bottom out if there's nothing to bite to.

Humvee and Hummer are essentially the same thing. One you just have to put together yourself.

AM General HMMWV - Original Military "Hummer"/"Humvee" nicknames.
AM General Hummer - Civilian Hummer.
Hummer H1 - Hummer is now a brand under GM, heavily updated upscale interior.
AM General Humvee C Series - Civilian "kit car" Hummer. AM General no longer has rights to "Hummer" name.
AM Mobility V1 Gorilla HMMWV - Rerelease civilian model, based on current generation military model. AM Mobility has no rights to "Hummer" name.