What is it that makes someone a pseudo-intellectual?

What is it that makes someone a pseudo-intellectual?

Other urls found in this thread:

archived.moe/his/thread/1647249/#q1648177
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Disagreeing with someone on Veeky Forums

wrong.

Pseudo-intellectuals.

Being a dilettante who takes a bunch of half-understood 'facts' of whatever field and cobbles them together into a "holistic" worldview that you then peddle to people through marketing your own image

Classic image.jpg

Close-mindedness

>My claim is that there are right and wrong answers to moral questions, just as there are right and wrong answers to questions of physics

>Just as there is no such thing as Christian physics or Muslim Algebra, we will see that there is no such thing as Christian or Muslim morality.

>Despite our perennial bad behavior, our moral progress seems to me unmistakable.

Which way am I supposed to read this, I don't understand twitter.

Anyone that says something I don't like.

Top to bottom, see the timestamps.

>My claim is that there are right and wrong answers to moral questions, just as there are right and wrong answers to questions of physics

>Just as there is no such thing as Christian physics or Muslim Algebra, we will see that there is no such thing as Christian or Muslim morality.

>Despite our perennial bad behavior, our moral progress seems to me unmistakable.

Did Sam Harris actually say that? What a dumbass

fucking savage

Sam Harris > anyone else
Dude is a mudda fucking Phd Neurosurgeon clearly not a dumb fuck like you

Arguing with buzzwords rather than concepts

here is the answer since you missed it last time

archived.moe/his/thread/1647249/#q1648177

Just don't leap to conclusions.

If you're not sure about something, look it up. There is nothing wrong with being an auto-didact, but you have to accept you aren't on the same "wavelength" as the academics and need to carefully explain your ideas and root them in common knowledge as opposed to just blabbling away willy nilly and creating your own obscure vocabulary.

A person who is a psuedo intellectual thinks they know everything and spout off cliche ideals concepts or follow whats trendy in the time they live

Basically they follow one doctrine of thought like the perople who follow the canon of known academic knowledge and tell you why its only right or the guy who never went to college and tells you why all academia is wrong

a real intellectual says i have no idea about anything let me go learn about it

then if asked says here's what i believe based on what I know and i still have no idea

he's pretty good.

I'm a pseudo-intellectual, ask me anything.

If you criticize Sam Harris on a & Humanities board.

not enough drug use

This is fairly accurate.

I'd also add that this general comes from the desire to appear intelligent rather than any actual desire of knowledge or search for self improvement.