Hi Veeky Forums. I just bought a Trans Am with a carbeurated SBC 305...

Hi Veeky Forums. I just bought a Trans Am with a carbeurated SBC 305. I can get it to turn over but can't get it to start, not sure when the last time it was started. It is getting spark, when I press the gas it squirts fuel into the carb so I assume fuel isn't an issue, and I checked compression on all cylinders and they were 150ish. It turns over but won't fire. What should I try next? The car is a 1990 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am with an 80's 305 swapped in. Thanks!

You sure its jetted properly? Maybe the A/F is way off.

I'm not sure. The original carb is sitting in the passenger seat and an aftermarket Holley carb is in it's place. Not sure it has ever run with this carb. Can/should I switch the jets from the old carb to the new?

See, the problem is it's got a 305.

Drop a 350 in there.

probally stale fuel. fuel goes off if car has been sitting longer than 6 months easy way to tell: throw some gas down the carb. if it fires fuels your problem. and if it is drain lines and tank and replace fuel filters.

Tried gas down carb as well as starting fluid, didn't seem to make a difference.

Picking up a 350 tomorrow and rebuilding, but would like to get it running on the 305 for now

M8 try and get a 400 or 455 Pontiac engine to drop in. The 305 is a shit engine that Chevy made.
Keep your blue heritage.

check the spark plugs, might be dirty, also have you checked spart properly, ie taken a ht lead of the spark plug and held it against the block while turning it over? other than that, maybe timing is out badly. also check the firing order on the distributor

>Picking up a 350 tomorrow and rebuilding
ATTABOY

For starters put your money into the head and carby, thatll give you the most room for improvement down the road. You can look online for help getting the most power out of it, theres plenty of 400HP builds for $1400 or less floating around

Checked for spark on all cylinders and it was good. I'm going to try new plugs and check firing order tomorrow, any other suggestions?

>305
Wheres the other 45?
ya better find it faggot

Why is everyone so triggered by the 305? It is a great engine for what it is.

small bore size

>1990 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am with an 80's 305 swapped in
>has spark
>has fuel
It's out of time. Get cylinder 1 on TDC compression stroke (remember there are two TDC's per cycle but only one on the compression stroke) and check rotor is pointing at number one. Correct as necessary and also triple check firing order. Once you're sure check it again.

>for what it is
Its a shitty underpowered chevy engine that they slapped in Trans ams after 79. Roger Smith was an idiot.

You're making me jealous opee. Can't wait to pick mine up

Welcome to the club bro

Does it have old gas in it? If not, and you are SURE the carb is ok then is probably right.

Check timing - does it backfire through the carb?
Check distributor
Get fresh plugs - are they correct for the engine? Might spark but not enough to fire

>great engine for what it is
It is literally the gimp engine they put in to meet fuel economy and emissions standards. You can't put any heads that flown well on it because small bore. It will always be shit. It's even more infuriating because Chevy could have put in a 302 made from a 327 block/283 crank and choked it to get the same effect, but they had to be stupid.

>327 block

You're a fucking wop.

These fellas get it.
Also ignition upgrades are best bang for the buck. I had an 85 Camaro, about 100 freedom points you can get a coil and a module(looks like pic related,under your distributor cap, under the stuff under the cap) will solve a few problems.
Have fun br/o/thu
Psst, you will learn more with a 305 than a dozen civics and a million bench racers()
,isnt that what being an enthusiast is all about?

>being this fucking retarded

when was the last time AutoX a Truck posted here? he was making like 350 hp from a 305

Timing could be way the fuck off, too. Like 180 out, even.

Verify timing by setting TDC.

Also, if it is in time, the guy that posted the ignition module is probably on the right track.

There's only 4 things that make an engine run: air, fuel, compression, spark.