Most reliable atomotive gasoline engine ever built in the world: - AMC 242

Most reliable atomotive gasoline engine ever built in the world: - AMC 242

Most reliable automotive diesel engine ever built in the world: - Cummins ISB 24v

Why do people think Japanese cars are superior again? Is it only because of the 80's when America was actually shitting out crappy cars?
Why are so many people stuck in the 80s?

>AMC
>Reliable
Kek

>citation needed

People are routinely getting 500,000+ miles out of their 1GR-FE Tacos and FJs. I've heard of some oil pump failures, but it's always been a result of dinguses not changing it regularly or running the wrong oil (hurrr durrr muh Rotella in everyting)

Most Toyota's are maintained extremely well and get used as grocery getters. meanwhile Domestic fleet trucks and company trucks get used and abuse with little maintenance and still hit those miles.

>AMC shitheap
>not the downright legendary Volvo Redblock
What the fuck, OP?

>80hp from 900lbs of cast iron

It better be reliable... Too bad it's useless and weak.

>What is a tacoma

A modern GM or Ford is just as reliable if maintained properly. Technically more reliable as they get abused more with less maintenance.

It's 2017, Pretty much anything new is reliable now if you take care of it.

Most ignorant post ive heard all day

>AMC 242
>Most reliable automotive gasoline engine

Hold my thermostat real quick

>not the 6bt
kys niggerkike

do you know what a genuine non-chrystler AMC 242 motor is capable of?

Its the only known gasoline engine to regularly hit 400k only with minor oil changes, and even missing a few of them

>t. Toyota fanboy.

Get your head out of top gear's ass and stop drinking the Toyota Koolaid. This is how it works in the real world.

>Toytas are grocery getters and get well maintained, muh American trucks take way more abuse and do just as well.
>a modern furd or gm will last just as long!
A Modern truck doesn't have 500k/300k, older trucks do, a tacoma regular out does a ranger and most gm's from the late 90s early 00s it's not just a meme tax to why old Toyta trucks are still worth money.. It's beacuse they last longer blow for blow and take just as much abuse as cheap to make cheap to repair fleet trucks.

Lol assmad

Even older Toyota's last so long because they're maintained well. They only resell so well because people are fucking stupid enough to pay $7k for a barely rolling 20 year old piece of rust.

Youre high dude.
Also running a few miles on a cold engine, shutting it off to go to work or get groceries, then running a few miles home before the engine reaches running temps is WAY hard on them. They just keep going.
Dont act like this doesnt happen. I do it every day

People are stupid, but they sell for that much because they regularly go longer than 500k,with like a change of trans fluid once every 300k, which is a shit load more than I can say for any "work force" truck, please stop trying to desperately defend a position that's incorrect, it's okay to stop replying anytime now.

>useless
it'll get your fat ass to work and back, won't it? get the fuck outta here.

>Tacomas and FJs are used as grocery getters

How about no. If anything, you'll see more 1500s and F150s as grocery getters you low-test idiot.

>It's 2017, Pretty much anything new is reliable now if you take care of it.

in a perfect world, yes. but GM and Ford make disposable shit heap trucks, that's why they're so cheap. because guys don't keep them more than a few years, and fleet trucks are broken/rusted/busted before their engines reach 200,000 miles

stop advocating for shitboxes, it makes you look like a poor idiot

the only FJs i've seen have been driven by women out shopping

you do realize that the target market of tacomas are grandpas wanting to buy mulch and the target market of FJs are dog-owning yuppies who don't like subarus, right?

>Most reliable atomotive gasoline engine ever built in the world: - AMC 242
WRONG
22R/22RE/2RZ/3RZ basically any of the pre 2005 Toyota R engines are indestructible.
>Most reliable automotive diesel engine ever built in the world: - Cummins ISB 24v
Ok you got me on that one.

>truck
>cheap

Sorry mate, but Nissan's TB trumps anything AMC, even the objectively better 1FZ is still a safer bet in the middle of nowhere... And why would you choose an ISB over a 12 valve B series? Let alone the plethora of Perkins, Deuts, Isuzu and Caterpillars that take that mantle?

Also forgot to mention the diesel version of Nissan's TB42... the TD42. I'd sooner count on one of those than an ISB.
But Perkins 354 still takes the cake.

the nissan VQ engines have to at least get a mention in the discussion, i'm no expert but i know they have a great rep

>Useless and weak.

Slap a turbo on it and it Will take you to Mordor, fully loaded with hanger.

Nissan oil burners?
Really?
Nissan builds shit engines.

Not that guy, but if you are literally talking about Nissan oil burners, again, the TD42 is hard to beat for the application of light commercial vehicles.

>Cummins ISB 24v

Is that 4 valves per cylinder... with pushrods?

How do you think 90% of highways trucks have their valvetrain configured?

FYI the cummins ISB is both the most reliable automotive diesel engine ever built and the most reliable engine ever built period.

[citation needed]

pretty sure the 7.3 International is more reliable than that Cummins.

i work for a hvac company that has a fleet of ford f150's f250's and Tacoma's. the Tacoma's break down and are in the shop just as often as the fords. they are all less than 10 years old and we put 30-50k miles a year on them.

Then that merely accounts for the fact that you're a poor idiot who frequents affluent areas.

No more than any other truck market may differ, nor any market for a similar vehicle to an FJ. But you're wrong on both accounts, and make an ass of yourself assuming such things. You should proceed to fuck yourself with a piece of broken glass.

>Its the only known gasoline engine to regularly hit 400k only with minor oil changes, and even missing a few of them
Except redblocks do the same thing. Current world record for the car with the most miles is an old Volvo that had the i4 rebuilt... every one million miles. It's over 3 mil now.

>oil burning gasket machine in anything that's not a corolla

But really it revs fun

this isnt wikipedia, fool
the ISB really is the most reliable engine ever put into any vehicle ever made

love how none of you idiots even know what an ISB is
keep researching your pretentious jap shit while the real engines remain totally outside of your cuckboy radar

no.
many more AMC 242 were made, and they were used by more people. europe does not have anywhere near the amount of people or as much people who can even afford to drive any car. america is much much larger and stronger economy. and you are confusing simplicity with reliability, they often go hand in hand, but you do not even know what makes the 242 more reliable.
please fuck off with your commie redblock lada shit. that engine is good but is less reliable by a miserable amount. but is still close

ok friendo

>you do not even know what makes the 242 more reliable.
tell us

No fuck off the isb isn't the most reliable. I would maybe go as far as to say the older 6b engines are the most reliable in a light duty application, but no fuckin way is the early ISB (or any ISB for that matter) anything above average reliability in the scope of heavy on highway diesels.

>Its the only known gasoline engine to regularly hit 400k only with minor oil changes, and even missing a few of them
You mean like the ford 4.9 inline 6, or the chrysler slant 6.

>old Volvo that had the i4 rebuilt... every one million miles. It's over 3 mil now.
It had rebuilds a little less than every million miles. So in honesty, the block made it a million miles,the things inside, not really.
A saab 900 turbo made it over a million miles on the original internals and turbo. It had about 3 head gasket changes and transmission changes.

They have rocker bridges on them, so one rocker arm acts on a bridge between 2 valves. In pic related you can sorta see it. I think I was trying to take a picture of the injector seat.

>the ISB really is the most reliable engine ever put into any vehicle ever made
Again, you still have to cite those claims.
>love how none of you idiots even know what an ISB is
I know exactly what it is and have headaches first hand with both 4 and 6 cylinder versions of the ISB in fixed and mobile plant. In terms of fool proof operation they cannot hold a candle to the B-Series they "succeeded", let alone the previously mentioned Perkins 354 (which is also often painted in yellow and sold as a Catapillar powerplants) that finds itself in an array of screening and crushing plants, screeming away at 2200rpm, sometimes with next to no load, for 10 hours a day. I'd sooner say you have no idea what an ISB is, and have only read about it in Dodge Ram sales brochures.
>keep researching your pretentious jap shit while the real engines remain totally outside of your cuckboy radar
Plenty of Isuzu, Toyota and even Nissan diesel powerplants I'd choose over an ISB.

100% this.

Fucking Perkapillars.

Funny when people find out their '3126B' or 'C7/9' is a 6.354 but. Just because it's yellow....

Hah lol. I won't complain as 90% of the time a replacement part with a Perkins serial number ends up being reasonably cheaper. The other 10% of the time only Westrac has it in stock.
I remember the time I had a pleasant surprise pre-starting a 7 tonne Cat digger, only to find it had a similar 4M40 engine to the one in my Pajero.

>Why do people think Japanese cars are superior again?
because people actually buy Japanese cars, unlike that hunk of pig iron in the OP.

*yawn*

ISB wrecks your shit

It isn't hard to get 1,000,000 miles from a 350 SBC.

This. My dad has owned so fucking many AMCs in his life and these engines don't quit. Neither of my brothers bother with oil changes anymore. They've went through transmissions in the time it took for them to change the oil, even when taking the cars to the drag strip. You'll never break one.

The 6.9 would be more reliable than the 7.3 what with the thicker cylinder walls

none of you fags even know what an ISB is

literally laughing my ass off

proof that Veeky Forums is ignorant as shit

Not N14, or NH cummins?

As for gas/petrol. might have to say 4.0 OHC aussie Ford 6 or holden/buick v6 for share factor of abuse they are given and the fucks which they do not give.

most reliable?
4.9 Ford I6
12 valve cummins

this is hilarious
the amc 242 shits all over toyota face

>American engineering
Just how biased are your sources? Americans dont even Diesel, why do you think America would build the best diesel engine?

The most reliable engines must be from old Mercedes and old Toyotas
I think the most reliable engine i know is the Toyota 3B, used in some LandCruisers and Dynas. And no, America didnt get that one (like most of the best diesels)

What did they mean by this?

The only way an ISB would wreck my shit is if it was fitted to my shit. Thankfully I don't waste my time with that modern Euro 4+ compliant rubbish.

My lexus engine, which is a Toyota 1mz-fe, has an aluminum block, aluminum heads, aluminum pistons with steel rings, a forged steel crank and a aluminum dual intake manifold. And makes 220hp and 220ftlb torque.

Also it has 230,000 miles and runs like a fuckin champ.

Your argument is invalid shithead

>Reliable
>Under performing stone age tech in an extremely low state of tune.

Pffffffffffff

>Americans dont even Diesel

Just because they're not 1.0L of displacement doesn't mean they don't exist, Europoor.

>In Europe 50% of the cars are Diesel
>In USA 3% of the cars are Diesel
And you build the better diesel engines in the world, imagine if you didnt

>implying americans can even compete in the heavy diesel sector

toppest of keks. also, Cummins is the Nissan of american diesel manufacturers, so its fitting they are putting their engines in the new Titan.

The ISB is a B series engine

You've just described a Ford 300ci six, although it's heavier.

Not him, but semantics. There's not much left of the old 2v B-series other than the origin of the engine block.

The Cummins ISB is a fairly unreliable engine with a history of ECM and injector pump issues.

>Issues with the ISB center around the VP-44 injection pump and fuel system. Loss of fuel supply is the normal cause of premature injection pump failure
>The stock lift pump supply output starts to weaken typically around 45-55,000 miles and is completely out of specified supply specifications around 65-85,000 miles.
>The indications of an internal damaged VP-44 will be loss of mileage, slight loss of power, hard starts, intermittent power loss or bucking, and P0216 or P1693 fault code which may or may not trigger the check engine light. A P0216 fault code is the result of the VP-44 injection pump not achieving pump timing value commanded by the engine ECM.
>Cummins trouble shooting and repair manuals will outline performing a lift pump pressure/volume check and replacement of the lift pump if it does not meet specifications in order to cure a P0216 fault code condition. It has been our experience that replacing the lift pump does not cure a P0216 fault code. The only way to fix the problem is to replace the VP-44 injection pump.

I quite like automotive 6BT, marine 6BTA and 6CTA with P7100 or VE pumps when your shit is not being fucked by the timing case dowel pin working free and making its way into the timing gears. You really think a Euro 4+ compliant plant with ECM/PCM control and a fuel system optimised for ULS DFO will have a longer service life than a mechanical 6NSDL-M or 8LXB?

mate, the pump has been updated, and we are not talking about engine components, we are talking about engine itself. otherwise toyota has ultimate shit engines because of water pump, alternator and starter

and its a common misconception the 6BT is more reliable than the ISB. people assume this because the 6BT seems simpler.
however both are great engines, literally the best on earth. but the ISB is actually better than the 6BT

also, Veeky Forums is full of retards. not in 8 years have i seen anyone mention the ISB
its because nobody here actually knows shit about engines

So the injector pump is not considered part of the engine to you? Interesting.

Let's all about internal components between Cummins models as you wish to cherry pick. ISB chew valve seats, KTA19 does not. ISB and ISX drop exhaust valves especially number six, KTA19 does not. ISB has had three recalls over high pressure injector pump and injector failure. KTA19 has not.

There are plenty of Toyota 2H and 1HZ in operation with 30,000 hours plus that have had no issue with jacket water pumps with MMG group across Laos, Democratic Republic of the Congo and other third world shitholes. Plenty of Yanmar 6LP over 30,000 hours that are 1HD-FT Toyota engines using the Austin jacket water pump. Useless conjecture from you.

Yes, it would seem most here do not know shit from clay regarding engines. You are living proof.

ISB is a generic mid tier engine with a history of failure. Build a bridge of failed ISB motors and get the fuck over it.

Again, I deal with everything from 12v B-series, 4 and 6 cylinder ISBs, Perkins, Isuzus and even a good old air cooled 6 cylinder Deutz in a range of fixed and mobile plant.
I'm sure the ISBs are more than adequate for a fullsize pickup truck, but they're not happy in severe duty quarrying conditions.
I'm still convinced the only experience you've had with ISBs is between Wikipedia and Ram sales brochures.

One of the best responses I've read on Veeky Forums in a while :')

what is bullshit - the post.
already called you out on your bullshit idea about th 6BT
then you go on to mention how the pump is somehow the engine. made, if the pump fails, you dont need to rebuild the engine. because the engine is not failing.

the rest of your post is such bullshit its not even funny
the ISB is by far the most reliable engine on earth.

These mental gymnastics are hilarious

>engine reliability doesn't include it's lack of ability to operate
:')

Wait a minute, do/did you by any chance own a two door JK Wrangler with one of the older 3.8 V6s?
Is this the second coming of Thracks?

Calm down champion.

It's not bullshit at all. I said ISB chew valve seats. You are welcome to have a quick look with the balls of sclera that otherwise seem to only decorate your face and see that yes, valve seat failure of ISB engines is not uncommon. Neither is dropping number six exhaust valve as seen by high failure rates of bus and RV installations exposed to high exhaust gas temperatures under load.

It is typical that yes, the high pressure injection pump is named as a part of an engine. I would be pretty miffed if I ordered an ISB 'engine' and got a short block instead. If you wanted to compare only the rotating assembly, block and heads then say so. That way we can only look at how the internal components of the ISB platform regularly fail and exclude the ECM and fuel delivery system failures that plague the platform.

This is my second post. Whomever diddled your arsehole into a rage prior doesn't mean a pinch of shit to me.

The ISB is a mediocre platform with a history of failure. Your misgivings about the reality of this are amusing at best. Get over yourself.

As an aside point, you will find that many ISB owners in busses and RV have indeed had to rebuild the rotating assembly after high pressure injection pump failure as fuel delivery pressure drops, the injection stream fails to atomise and lances the piston crown.

>the ISB is by far the most reliable engine on earth.
pls, its not a bad engine just dont try tthat hard

its just better than you would expect from an american made engine

yep. 7.3s like to cavitate if you don't keep the antifreeze 100%.

>24 valve Comeapart

>loud as fuck
>cracked blocks (also applies to 6BT lol)
>injector pump failures
>terribad autotragics
>comes in worst-looking Dodge trucks

No thanks, I'll take a 6.9 IDI.

>super reliable Stanadyne fuel pump
>super reliable Ford C6 or Borg-Warner T-18 transmission
>VEE ATE SOUND
>Comes in best-looking Ford trucks

ISB doesn't have cylinder liners. Therefore it is garbage.

DT 466, Series 60, Series 73, NH, 3306.
Now those are real engines. More reliable than your favorite little toy engine lmao

American diesel engines are shit
>too big
>shit mpg

Om617 old but undoutably one of the best diesel engines ever made

Fuck you, I laughed.

>Cummins ISB 24v

12 too many valves there hombre

The blocks are the same (or similar enough) between the old 6bt and the first ISB (which had 24 valves and the vp-44 pump). I have built 6bt motors using the more modern block, crank and pistons before and used a marine head and shitty Lucas CAV pump. Beyond that they don't share much in common.

350 and ls are reliable v8's
AMC 4.0 is a great i6
Barra 4.0 as well

On a diesel the injection system is both the most complex and most important part of the engine. To stand back and say "the fuel gear doesn't matter in a conversation about reliability" is like saying "the meat, bun, pickle and sauce doesn't matter in a big Mac" and because you've picked an actual diesel mechanic to argue with all you are gonna make yourself look like a fuckwit

Shh. They don't know the wonders of the redblock.

My old 16v 4age can't even idle becase of people running it without oil and has been gummed up with shit in the coolant by previous owners yet its been running for years of abuse any time I want it. I feel like it deserves to be rebuilt even though I am going 20v for my secondary car. I want to get an old corolla and rebuild and SC it with this old engine it deserves to live on.