Other urls found in this thread:

goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/7122985B6A0A1758CA257FDB00055FC6
zeperfs.com/en/duel4069-5619.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>TFW turbos were just a meme
>TFW """engineers""" were wrong about them increasing fuel economy
>TFW you'll see N/A cars in droves with fewer ecoboost shitters

:)

They will once the peak oil fad wears off. Turbos are for little kids/weaboos. Once Chad starts to want a car that responds to the accelerator the whole thing will fall over.

I'm personally disappointed in companies like porsche adopting them when their entire design philosophy is built around naturally aspirated.

>he actually believes this
>he actually thinks ICE cars won't be continually choked by emissions laws
>he actually believes that ICE cars wont eventually be made obsolete entirely
>he seriously believes he wont have to drive a soulless EV
Must be nice to be that naive.

>>tfw naturally aspirated cars are gone and they are NEVER EVER coming back
mazda has said time and time again that downsizing engines and slapping turbos on them is a half assed attempt at meeting test regulations which results in shit performance in real world scenarios

turbos are for performance models
larger displacement na is best for real efficiency

goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/7122985B6A0A1758CA257FDB00055FC6

I believe that once water injection will be mainstream (no pun intended) high compression NA engines will become the norm. The m4 gts has already demonstrated that WI can be done in larger production runs.

I'm sure if they did the same amount of research and development on naturally aspirated engines they would be clean as you like.

Cars aren't the main culprit the green lobby should be chasing, just the easiest target.

If it bothers you that much just get a classic/older car...

Good luck getting an older car in 20 years when they are banned.

>muh throttle response
>what are superchargers?

Once they fix other forms of transport the normies will just take the train/bus.

Never going to happen, a car has versatility that public transport will never be able to match. If you need to get to bumfuck no-where 100 miles away at 2am on a Sunday, it's a 2 hour drive at most in a car, in public transport it's literally impossible.

Coldside superchargers, so hot right now.

>superchargers
>good throttle response
hmm

LS masterrace here, LT isnt going anywhere either.

Nothing wrong with non downsized turbo engines.

Sadly Hybrids will kill any benifits FI cars have when it comes to packaging and shit like that.

Fucking stupid regulations hopefully in a decade when china just copies all the cars we can just direct import them and fuck these local laws right out the door.

no engineers knew there was no benefit except for fooling test into thinking they were getting better numbers.

Overworking tiny engines with turbos is the way to game the MPG test. So it's not going away as long as there is profit in slapping up a higher MPG number on the sticker but in the hands of users, it performs terribad for MPG.

The car's engine was designed for the MPG test and not for gaining those stated MPG in actual use.

>banned
Nice meme. The second they breathe the word, the Troubles will look like a gang fight.

You need to lobby for more realistic emissions tests. Surely even the greenies would want that, and we can sneak vee aytes back in to the mainstream.

Fear not, OP!

Based Lexus is here to save the day with a brand new 2018 model

naturally aspirated engines could only be SO good. We had pretty much reached the pinnacle of their effectiveness with the LS7 and the F20 (S2000). They had plateaued and it was time for us to move on to the next phase.

good theyre shit compared to turbo

why would grandfathering laws go out the window

emissions and no ability to be modernized to be autonomous

those are two reasons i can think of

With water injection or cooled EGR we're not going to see more NA cars.

And somehow Mazda decided to put a 2.5L turbo I4 in a crossover. Seems legit.

Water injection has almost no benefit in NA engines. Bosch has said as much.

Turbo does have benefits, it's just that you need to be insanely light on the throttle to see them.

Direct import into the US isn't viable unless it's 25 years old.

>tfw you bought the last model year of your ideal DD before they switched to CVT and soon tarbo bullshit

>tfw y'all want NA cars but at the same time shitpost on gems like the GT-86 and BRZ twins and Miatas being gay and slow according to Veeky Forums

Stay buttmad and cucked.

GT86/BRZ would have been fine if they used a 2.3-2.5L.

2.0l on premium gas just to be slower than an old integra for $30k is just stupid.

got two words for you
range anxiety

we currently exist in the prime era for NA

Car manufactures are so cucked it's unbelievable. Instead of basing your design on turbo they should base it on N/A and then modify it for Turbocharging. This way you get good torque at lower RPM and speed when boost kicks in.

>muh lap times
>muh comparison to used cars
>comparing a FRONT WHEEL DRIVE car to the BRZ/FRS
holy shit i hope theres a window nearby because you need to jump out of it ASAP

It's not even about lap times. I do not want a car where I have to pin the peddle to the floor for 5 seconds straight just to pass a car beside me on the highway.

If I wanted a car like that I'd buy a Celica.

How long do these puppies last anyways, before they have to be replaced/rebuilt?

100-150k

And they cost just as much just for the turbo as an entire NA engine

I'm looking to enter the turbo game. Opel offers a turbo version of their Adam.
>1.4 16V NA - 100hp
>1.4 16V turbo - 150hp

Jeez, never thought that one of those can boost power that much.

What the shit are you talking about? As long as you replace it before it blows up and takes the engine with it, even a recent OEM turbo kit for a German car is a grand or less.

It's about you all being mentally ill.

God has provided you a right hand and a left foot, guess what you have to do when you want to overtake someone:

>press the clutch pedal
>select a lower gear which gives high rpm
>release clutch
>floor the accelerator pedal
>???
>SUCCESS

The GT-86 has the same torque at the wheels of a 2.0 turbodiesel such as the Golf; you can overtake with simplicity everybody if you're not racing or going at crazy speeds.

>tl;dr: KYS

If a sports car that's all about handling can produce a decent laptime, what fucking use is it? Enjoy getting passed by a minivan on the highway and a fucking Pigdog Korean car on the track.

My current DD has a faster 0-60 so I won't believe you.

>It's about you all being mentally ill.
Do you even pay attention to what you type. You're literally screaming and pointing your finger at everyone saying they're the crazy one, not you. Seek help, you seem to base your entire self worth off of a car.

>this picture
>this entire post
pure, unadulterated autism

You seem upset, I would be too if I was you.

>judging cars by 0-60 time

What are you? 16?

No, I just know how slow my current car is and wouldn't want something even slower that costs $30k.

>on Veeky Forums
>bench racing 200 hp shitboxes
>autistically screaming at anyone who likes a car they don't

Sounds about right

>judging cars by performance benchmarks
No no, you're right, how it FEELS is what's important, which is apparently objectively slow.

The new TVR t37 will have an NA V8

TFW driving one of the greatest naturally aspirated engines ever made.

The throttle response is amazing.

>objectively slow

zeperfs.com/en/duel4069-5619.htm

So apparently a Bmw 120d is slow and so is the 123d with 204 hp and 400 nm of torque.

Please, get back to the real world.

>assblasted toyobaru fan
>implying lap times aren't valid when every delusional 86 driver talks about walking your car around a track
>implying FWD cars 20 years older aren't faster and don't handle comprably when it comes to feeling

>these uneducated niggers are too poor to buy a god tier chassis & swap in a god tier engine

how does it feel to live in a cardboard box under a bridge?

How does it feel to ruin a car changing its character and all the featured it has been ingeenered for?

You are worse than those animals, just buy an used cuckvette.

>So apparently a Bmw 120d is slow and so is the 123d with 204 hp and 400 nm of torque.

Did you really just try to make the argument that a diesel engine is fast because it has more torque? You don't know how torque, horsepower, or diesel and gas engines work, do you? Yes, those cars are also slow.

How assblasted can you be.

They literally made those cars so they would be affordable to buy used and mod the shit out of. That's why they put a poop engine in it.

This, no replacement for displacement

>so they would be affordable to buy used and mod the shit out of. That's why they put a poop engine in it.

Great, so they made a car that you can't do shit to the engine to without it blowing up. That's a great enthusiast car. Enjoy your stupid high compression, lower power, and premium gas for lmao 165 WHP.

>2.5L turbo I4
that isn't a particularly small engine

Meanwhile the motorcycling community is experiencing the best time to be alive in the history of humanity with every type of bike imaginable available for purchase right now.

Stay cucked cage fags

>"this car is too slow"
>"no i don't want it to be faster"

homeless AND mentally disabled, wow.

>I guess a 200hp diesel engine is slow
Yes, in the real world and bench racing.

nice way to spend more to be slower than a modified FA20 while sounding like shit

I own a C5 you retard, it already has an LS in it and it was $14k not $30k.

>ha ha yeah the car is horrible
>but if you're willing to tear the drive train out and replace it with a superior one then it can be good
Or you know just buy a Corvette. You're not helping anything with these autist posts.

That's fun coming from a person living in a state where police actually shoots you for doing everything, speeding included (bonus if you're a nigger).

>complaining that cops shoot niggers

You really should move to Sweden.

so edgy

>leaf springs
>fisher price interior
>general motors build quality

i don't know if you noticed buddy, but everything that comes out of general motors that isn't a v8 is complete garbage. yes, including your shitbox.

there's a reason why people swap in ls engines, & don't go buy a gm product. literally every other manufacturer can build a better overall car, but gm makes good v8s & just good v8s.

congratulations, you paid $14,000 for a drivetrain. go find something that isn't trash to swap it into.

does sweden even have a black person?

There is way to much shitposting on such a slow board. You're so upset you can't even form coherent arguments.

Nope, because such a thing doesn't exist

>comparing Vette plastic interior to an equally plastic GT86 interior

You aren't doing yourself any favors here.

Saw the Fatt Marah video on this, it's cool it has an NA V8 and it looks really cool, but it's just a fat cruiser Lexus. Call me when Audi, BMW and Merc are using NA engines again.

>Poverty: the post.

>Direct import into the US isn't viable unless it's 25 years old.
Nothing wrong with older cars.

The one thing Mazda was utterly lacking was a "premium" engine in N/A since the diesel couldnt make emissions due to our shit tier fuel (without aftertreatment). Such engines would go into high end soccer mom vehicles and 6's. Its a pretty sweet turbo engine none the less.

At best it will get a displacement bump of 200cc like the S2000 before it. The MX5 2.0 needs premium anyways and all S2000 owners put the best shit in due to ethanol fuckery.

>no engineers knew there was no benefit except for fooling test into thinking they were getting better numbers.

That's right. The main benefit is the mileage test the EPA uses. A large part of the test has fairly even terrain and that's where the mileage gain is achived. It doesn't really improve real world fuel economy except in certain unrealistic city conditions. Where it does work is for steady freeway miles under cruise control. It fails for city driving, hilly terrain, and stop and go traffic.

Without a turbo it would be dogshit for a crossover. The turbo is what makes it bearable.

Mazda uses cooled EGR to reduce the amount of on boost enrichment though.

>Without a turbo it would be dogshit for a crossover.
It's just you now have engines that wear out much sooner. ""Let's have a 50cc engine but turbo it up in our M1 Abrams Tank"" How long do these 1.4L turbo engines last in GM midsize cars? It's like the customer is sacrificed in order to gain MPG credits for the company to avoid EPA penalties.

They never increased fuel economy and everyone knew that. It was just a way to exploit the EPA's testing methodology.

>yfw a 1.6l turbo makes the same hp/tq figures a a 7l AMERICAN v8 from 20 years ago without needing to bullshit the gearing for mpg ratings.
>yfw the cars are smaller and lighter as a result

It's called progress grandpa.

>How long do these 1.4L turbo engines last in GM midsize cars?
What happens to these hard-running engines is they they need a new head gasket sooner or later. It's not the type of bulletproof engine for a car meant to last 15 years before you get another car.

Electronic valve control is the future.

Mercedes hasn't got their version problem free yet.

I thought the idea was to be off boost when driving around town

probably only runs 8 lbft of boost
bearing failure ?

>mazda has said time and time again that downsizing engines and slapping turbos on them is a half assed attempt at meeting test regulations which results in shit performance in real world scenarios

They aren't the only ones saying that. Review publications have made similar but more polite comments about engine longevity of the small engines being run hard for most of its life if the car is driven only in the city.