Should I buy a third generation Mercedes ML? Specifically looking at something like this:

Should I buy a third generation Mercedes ML? Specifically looking at something like this:

>ML 350 BlueTec AWD
>around year 2012
>around 30k

It would probably replace my wife's auto v6 mustang (got it from her parents). We are looking for a comfy car for running errands, doing things on the weekend and taking our son places. I like that the car is diesel because we would be more likely to drive it often.

The AWD is important as we live in the PNW, it is always raining or even snowing as we live on a steep hill. Also want something this size, recently got stranded at ikea when some furniture barely fit in my hatchback. The GL class seems like overkill in size though.

typical cuck listening to his wife
>"hunney we need da big safe car because muh babby!!!!!"

wrong, she doesn't want to buy a car at all. I am the one who is looking for cars.

fuck off neet

Pretty much this.

get a c-class wagon.

You can't afford a new Mercedes and you definitely can't afford a 5 year old one. Use your head and buy a slightly used Equinox/Explorer for 15-20k.

not enough trunk space

whats wrong with having a bigger car? yes it handles worse and gets worse economy, but that is the trade-off for more space and having something larger.

oh and sorry you are poor

>a comfy car for running errands, doing things on the weekend and taking our son places

OK so what thought process takes you from here to "i need a 6000 lb gigantic monster SUV"

Don't waste your money or the space on the road, just get an E class wagon or something ffs

>E class wagon

again, not enough space

my wife is a physician, I also make more than her. I just like buying used, seems to save money.

>e class wagon
>not enough space
I believe you're looking for a box truck.

Nice. Lease a new one then. Used MB are money pits.

I have nothing against wagons, the majority of my cars have been wagons I just want something bigger

I thought the reliability was pretty good out of the german cars. Also we drive very low miles a year so a lease seems like we wouldn't get the value out of it.

>pretty good out of the german cars
>value out of a status symbol
wew. good luck man. enjoy.

Just ignore these retards, they're all poor as fuck teenagers and have never owned anything less than 20 years old

Prius v. Awd is a meme.
Or a tahoe/Yukon if you want power and reliability at the expense of mpg.

and ESPECIALLY don't listen to this idiot. anyone who says "____ is a meme" is guaranteed clueless

he isn't as clueless as someone who can't recognize a humblebrag thread. if op is set on a mb he should fuck off and buy one instead of pretending to want opinions.

>Prius v. Awd

What?

>buying a 5 year old used mercedes, not even a cool one
>"humblebrag"

jesus christ, you get jelly easily you poorfag. Pathetic

I do want opinions, this isn't even an expensive car, you can buy a WRX for the same price range.

I spent a hour the other day talking with a buddy who into cars about this situation. I am not set on the car but I like Mercedes out of all the German cars. I like Lexus but they are super boring in comparison.

It's pretty painfully obvious which people replying have never touched a vehicle like this in their lives.

In my 3 years working at my dealership I've driven dozens of these ML's in all different configurations and would be happy to answer any questions you have OP.

One thing to keep in mind is these newer diesels aren't like the diesels of yore. Where Mercedes diesels of the 80's and 90's built with less emissions related restrictions were practically bulletproof, I find in my experience that our customers who purchase modern diesels of any german luxury brand usually find themselves in the shop more often and leaving with bigger bills than their gasser counterparts.

The payoff however is obviously better fuel economy and more torque, so consider your needs and what is more important to you.

If you live somewhere with a cold climate, I highly recommend finding an ML with a heated steering wheel.

Also for everyone who won't stop suggesting getting a wagon instead, shut your hipster mouths. I daily a wagon and I love it, but it's not perfect. taller items fit better in SUV's, and SUV's in the same class as the ML have way better towing capabilities. I would understand if he was looking at something like a GLK, a wagon would be a good alternative, but an ML is a totally different class of vehicle.

>like Lexus but they are super boring in comparison.
you're looking at a cuck suv. what you mean is the badge doesn't say niggerrich like the ML. that's fine but lets not pretend that this thing is some spirited driving machine.

Interesting, I just assumed the diesels would be equally reliable if not better. i wonder if diesel is still a good option given we don't drive much.

I am mostly curious if this particular generation is reliable (for mercedes) and if there is anything I should look to avoid when buying used.

Since you have driven them, how do you feel the drive is compared to other cars in this class? Any specific model configuration that you like? I would like to stay with the least powerful / best MPG and I'm hoping that is still fun for what it is.

Thanks for the heating steering tip. My hands are freezing all the time.

Ok, then is the GL a cuck SUV? I like that one too but almost feel it is too big for my needs. Honestly open to suggestions for alternative luxury SUVs.

I want something that is moderately reliable but has interesting aesthetics and is decent to drive. I am obviously not buying for performance so I want something that looks nice and also feels and performs solid while still being enjoyable to drive for the the class.

>mercedes
S or G class
anything else is blue collar class poseur

Yes, OP. Get your hands on a G 63 6x6.