/egg/ Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

spiderbot edition
previous ded: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for retards:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of Ded Earf
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena 2
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMade

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named. The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>Hearthstone, found in the hearthstone general, /hsg/, not in this general.

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Spengies Server Pasta (never forget)
pastebin.com/uPudaAyJ

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B5CdbqtIMPsUdm5UQmRVUzhXYzA/view
reprap.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=gB9n2gHsHN4
npr.org/sections/krulwich/2011/05/02/134597833/cosmonaut-crashed-into-earth-crying-in-rage
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for only you can fight the green menace

second for /seg/ will rise again

second for you gave me a heart attack, thinking they had managed to infiltrate at the perfect time again.

>Eventually they will find it
Ah no, that's something you should never think when someone's playing a game.
If everything has just stopped progressing (e.g. they can't use the thing you just built) and they are under the impression that it cannot be fixed (e.g. they miss the rotate button), then they will very quickly lose interest and stop playing (i.e. there is no 'eventually').

Especially if they are stupid.

They could make a UI that informs the user where the planet is, so they can go, also leaving them in a nearby area, isntead of leaving them in front of it.

Naah, where is the INSTANT, FAST PACKED ACTION? Where is the INSTANT GRATIFICATION?

>mfw I'm playing the new pokemon and they pull this shit with EVERY feature
>mfw I understood the feature the moment they flashed the text for the name of the fucking thing
>mfw I just want to play pokemon with my gf and make perverted comments about the waifu of the week

The only people you can catter with difficult stuff are coders in shit like spengos programing block, or any other coded API.

Games with elongated series like pokemon really need to add a tutorial skip function at this point.

I'm 92.6% sure elite dangerous does this, though it rarely comes up with how slowly planets orbit.

What about the more challenge based engineering games like Besiege? Or is that the exception?

Give 'em the most retard-friendly UI physically possible and they will still fail to find something.
Might as well have a useful interface for the less retarded audience. Idiots being idiots, they will buy it anyway.

I fucking guarantee the kiddies playing for the first time would just hit skip so they could jump straight into getting fucking wiped out by a Rattata or some shit, get frustrated and quit, bitch to their parents and then we end up here again.

So speaking of programming games using
>java
How hard would it be to convert some of them into C/C++?

Also speaking of programming, why didn't nobody make a C+ already?
Something that is 100% C compatible (C++ isn't), has all of C++ good stuff and none of the bloat/shit?

Never tell them directly it's a skip, just ask if they've played before.
Most kids don't think past 'no I haven't/yes I have' and won't realise it's a skip function.
Kids are dumb.

>have you played before?
>YEAH I SAW MY BROTHER PLAY ONCE

Just place the "skip tutorial" checkbox in the options.
They never check the options, or if they do, it's usually the graphics tab to change everything in "ultra" for muh 9001fps super hi-res cinematic experience.

Look at the games... they are pure empty sandboxes, machinecraft, besiege, they are so complex that there is no substance to use what you created asides from those challenges,
A middle ground could be FTD, or Chode, they have some stuff that is really complex and its not scripting, they have stuff to do, but the technical part is only on a few aspects, and the substance is also the half of what you could do with them.
the other side is spengos.
Even if you do a wall of scripting, you will end up WASD your shit or self operating stuff, and the substance is almost enough to have some fun doing something.

That sounds like a good idea.

I think Besiege would benefit from the system LogicBots (for example) does, where you can do the mission however but there are several extra objectives like budget/part limits. Currently you can just plaster your machine with sawblades or cannons, and inventiveness is completely up to you.

For the latest 'kill the mortal fools'-type mission, I just made an armoured saw thing that I call 'Lawnmower'.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B5CdbqtIMPsUdm5UQmRVUzhXYzA/view

avorion for all eggmen

That would be good
Maybe to punish the fools who don't check options when they start games, have a character say 'oh by the way tutorials can be skipped using the options menu' but only after they've finished the tutorials

So, in CHODE, if I want to make a sanic fast projectile do I go railgun or coilgun?
What variables affect the effectiveness of a substance as coil wire, anyway?

railgun

Nice, thanks.

Thank you user, your vigilance is inspiring. Make /egg/ great again!

I'd say the middle ground is somewhere around Spengies - a sandbox for the most part, but you can/have to use and possibly adapt your creations to complete certain task, be it fighting off pirates or mining asteroids.You are free to approach that task as you see fit, as long as things get done.
Plus there are some not-sandbox elements like the aforementioned fighting action and resource management with logistics involved, which serve as a nuclei for the oversaturated creativity solution to crystallize around, for the more goal-oriented of us.

I wish I could afford a 3d printer for real life /egg/ing

>A large alien fleet warped in!
>Pirates are attacking the sector!
>Sector is under attack by an opposing faction!

I guess I'm building my ship in another sector.

You can build one. Should be cheaper, albeit it requires some actual effort on your end.
reprap.org/

Railguns seem to be the easiest way to get super sanic speed projectiles. 8.6 km/s is my best so far, but I've seen other people do better.

yeah the dev should definitely lower the frequency of those random attacks. the faction wars cause some major lag for some reason and the clueless aliens and pirates jumping into the warzone just make it worse

>the faction wars cause some major lag for some reason
Perhaps its the large amount of shit everywhere, and the amount of AI actors.

Before the efficiency bugs were partially fixed, there was a railgun with a velocity of a few megameters per second (Light is about 300 megameters per second)

FYI the dev has planned to add safe space sectors for building and logging out with your fagbus.
Sources: my ass and avorion.net/news.

Yeah, I think I saw that once somewhere, this 50+ km/s gun from the forums still works though, I reduced it's weight by replacing the titanium armor. I'm assuming that if a kinetic weapon is hitting it then something is already wrong.

At this point I won't need the nuclear shell anymore, I feel.

I just tried playing Empyrion after a few months break. I chose the desert starter planet since Aqua was just too easy.
On the first night, after 30 minutes of gameplay, I had THREE troop transports landing in my base (in addition to drone attacks). Chaingun troops that killed me in 2 seconds, among with like half a dozen of overseers.

Is this a fucking bug? I had absolutely no chance and literally ran out of ammo. I just had time to set up my first assembler and mine some iron, and I'm familiar with the game.

Oh and 10 seconds before an attack a meteor storm destroyed my base core, because why the fuck not.

I always thought Empyrion was too easy since the only attacks I got was like 2 drones every 15 minutes, and now suddenly I had a troop transport coming every 2 minutes right after game start. This can't be right. Couldn't even survive with save scumming.

You chose to build your base near three troop transport spawners and faced the consequences.

mpfags not ded yet

busses are for fags

>using solar panels
>not polluting for the sake of polluting

Is it okay to be aroused by pictures of huge factories?

youtube.com/watch?v=gB9n2gHsHN4

>Rest Stop
. . .
>Rest Stop
Station grouping when? Even (O)TTD has it.
>Our system thinks your post is spam.

glad you like it

its still in beta :v)

>empty space in spengies is a voxel
Does that mean we could generate an infinitely large cave map without it impacting performance?

No, because of their retarded optimisation, it'd all load in at once.

Hiigaran battlecuiser is at about 70% complete now.
Despite the huge size the thrust is still amazing.
It takes a shitload of computer core blocks to reach another upgrade slot, I might have to fill the empty space inside with simple hull blocks.

Recording REMcast now, send in your questions if you're hot enough.

REManon here

I am currently masturbating furiously while recording the next REMcast.

Post sadpandas for me to fap to during this recording.
My favorite tags include MILF, absorption, bee girls and prolapse.

avorion was a mistake

will your game be as shit?

You lads have given a pretty clear roadmap of things you want to/are going to do, plus your streams are pretty informative.

No questions anymore.

my fetishes don't include scat

My faith in humanity is somewhat restored.

Better get some mechanics before your ship falls into pieces.

ETA on gravity
Do you plan on balancing the game around mass? It seems likt it's the best way of stopping cheese, by making stuff just weight a lot. Gunbeds can't be gunbeds without stupid heavy suspensions.

I wonder if there are stats available for the weight of various mounted weapons and their drive equipment.

Are you going to add a game mode where all the enemies are anime girls and you have to build bondage and fucking robots to defeat them?

You think someone reaching that level doesn't know about the crew?

>shitload of guns produce shitloads of recoil
>gunbeds literally rattle themselves apart
>if not, all the necessary structure reinforcement will make them nigh-immobile thanks to the added mass
>if not, they will have the maneuverability of a passed out drunk
>if not, such massive ships will need a lot of thrust and thrusters, which adds even more mass, as well as heat management and energy or fuel requirements, should there be an appropriate system in place
>in the end a vicious cycle forms that kills any potential gunbed
Add in heat system for the energy weapons and it's perfect.

Just water sports.

>On the Mikoyan MiG-27 the GSh-6-30 had to be mounted obliquely to absorb recoil. The gun was noted for its high (often uncomfortable) vibration and extreme noise. The airframe vibration led to fatigue cracks in fuel tanks, numerous radio and avionics failures, the necessity of using runways with floodlights for night flights (as the landing lights would often be destroyed), tearing or jamming of the forward landing gear doors (leading to at least three crash landings), cracking of the reflector gunsight, an accidental jettisoning of the cockpit canopy and at least one case of the instrument panel falling off in flight. The weapons also dealt extensive collateral damage, as the sheer numbers of fragments from detonating shells was sufficient to damage aircraft flying within a 200-meter radius from the impact center, including the aircraft firing.

Mass and recoil-centric balance is the best balance. Just tweak weights until wheels can't carry heavy armor AND a tank cannon, 5+ roadwheels are needed for a heavy tank, and fitting a huge gun to a fast light aircraft becomes all but impossible.

OINK

It looks like some effort was put into building a pretty cool ship with its own theme for the small bit to the right, then they just said "fuck it, I need more power"

Pretty sure it's a randomly generated one.

Is REM gonna be arena only, or will there be spaces like in Machinecraft where we will be able to compare our autistic creations?

>Implying you're not a shill trying to break /egg/
Fuck off.

>Machinecraft

Will REM have gas?

>Corrosive gas that melts through armour if exposed to for too long
REManon please

>That entire quote
Jesus fucking piss the Russians are crazy

Nah they just suck at engineering or just don't care.

Only a Russian looks at a list of these technical problems and says "da, is good".

russian engineering is either totally indestructible or pure garbage. no in-betweens

Thank you for your questions

and shitposting

REMcast soon.

Can it still fly? Can it shoot enemies of the motherland? Da? Then shut up on dick and get in the fucking MiG, Sergei.
Victory first. Safety is overrated.

Someone post the story about the Russian astronaut who sacrificed himself because they were gonna send a younger guy up in some deathtrap, but the guys in charge insisted on going through with it.

>Russian astronaut
autism status: TRIGGERED

All according to keikaku.

>Bee girls
>Not superior tiles.
Faggot.

>not nakadashi futa loli female:robot
fucking step up

I got you fampai
npr.org/sections/krulwich/2011/05/02/134597833/cosmonaut-crashed-into-earth-crying-in-rage

>shits fucked
>like really fucked
>guys
>guys
>IS OF GOOD DAY TO MAKE SPESS FLIGHT COMRADE
>no seriously this shit is more important than your fucking retarded nationlis-
>YOU ARE OF SIBERIA FOR DISOBEY

This is why I'm terrified of Russia.

It was him or Yuri Gagarin, the first man in space

He knew he would die, but did it not to save his own hide, they wouldn't have put him to the gulag.

what engineering game will let me repair and replace broken parts of my machine?

What do you mean specifically?
>Pic related
Holy fucking kek is that real?

Of coursh

>you're fired

Fucking.
Ace.

Yep

On January 27, 2017, the President signed an Executive Order regarding immigrants and refugees from certain Muslim-majority countries. The order has now been challenged in a number of jurisdictions. As the Acting Attorney General, it is my ultimate responsibility to determine the position of the Department of Justice in these actions.
My role is different from that of the Office of Legal Counsel (OLC), which, through administrations of both parties, has reviewed Executive Orders for form and legality before they are issued. OLC's review is limited to the narrow question of whether, in OLC's view, a proposed Executive Order is lawful on its face and properly drafted. Its review does not take account of statements made by an administration or it surrogates close in time to the issuance of an Executive Order that may bear on the order's purpose. And importantly, it does not address whether any policy choice embodied in an Executive Order is wise or just.
Similarly, in litigation, DOJ Civil Division lawyers are charged with advancing reasonable legal arguments that can be made supporting an Executive Order. But my role as leader of this institution is different and broader. My responsibility is to ensure that the position of the Department of Justice is not only legally defensible, but is informed by our best view of what the law is after consideration of all the facts. In addition, I am responsible for ensuring that the positions we take in court remain consistent with this institution's solemn obligation to always seek justice and stand for what is right. At present, I am not convinced that the defense of the Executive Order is consistent with these responsibilities nor am I convinced that the Executive Order is lawful.
Consequently, for as long as I am the Acting Attorney General, the Department of Justice will not present arguments in defense of the Executive Order, unless and until I become convinced that it is appropriate to do so.

Statement on the Appointment of Dana Boente as Acting Attorney General
The acting Attorney General, Sally Yates, has betrayed the Department of Justice by refusing to enforce a legal order designed to protect the citizens of the United States. This order was approved as to form and legality by the Department of Justice Office of Legal Counsel.
Ms. Yates is an Obama Administration appointee who is weak on borders and very weak on illegal immigration.
It is time to get serious about protecting our country. Calling for tougher vetting for individuals travelling from seven dangerous places is not extreme. It is reasonable and necessary to protect our country.
Tonight, President Trump relieved Ms. Yates of her duties and subsequently named Dana Boente, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, to serve as Acting Attorney General until Senator Jeff Sessions is finally confirmed by the Senate, where he is being wrongly held up by Democrat senators for strictly political reasons.
"I am honored to serve President Trump in this role until Senator Sessions is confirmed. I will defend and enforce the laws of our country to ensure that our people and our nation are protected," said Dana Boente, Acting Attorney General.
Also he fired the director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement a little bit after.

I think it ignored the spacing, I added the last sentence on about the ICE director

Have an overheating Nintendo Switch as payment

>overheating
How. I can overclock my 3ds and not even get warm, how do you fuck up this badly?

Retards put their consoles in places with zero airflow next to other electronics and the entire place becomes this murderous oven.

Because Tegra X1 uses around 30 watts when fully clocked. Under the kickstand it's a deadzone for air circulation, and the SD card slot directly transmits heat from the board to the plastic.

It's a fuckin oven.

Alright. Playing Empyrion and just realized that the goddamn Epsilon Outpost I've been reclaiming has been giving me fucking SMALL Steel Blocks.

I can build new goddamn small vessels with this shit. I can't cannibalize this directly into a new base, goddamn it. Who thought this was a good idea?

What the everloving fuck?