What should I know if I want to buy a mid 80s Monte Carlo? Or maybe a Grand National?

What should I know if I want to buy a mid 80s Monte Carlo? Or maybe a Grand National?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yPw1iJXAH6I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

don't buy one from a nigger unless you want to fix the whole damn thing up.

what about a boomer nigger? nigger who knows what he gots.

at that point you're just asking to get your shit fucked up, senpai.

Seatbelts are annoying as hell. They cut right across the base of your neck on the left side and will rub it raw. These are the cars that seatbelt clips were invented for.

Also, SS Monte is expensive for what you get which is a slow pile of junk. Responds to mods well though. Grand National is also expensive. Best deal is going to be 86-87 Regal T-type Turbo but it doesn't have the "look" that the GN has.

You're not going to get a decent Grand National for under 10k. And T-types are rare.

Personally, of the G-bodys, I'd go for the Monte Carlo, El Camino, or Cutlass Supreme.
No matter what, the V8 engines are shit. The engines are a 305 5.0L V8 in the Monte and Elco, and a 307 5.0L V8 in the Cutlass.
They're all shit engines.
With the Chevy's, you want to swap in a Chevy 350 small block.
With the Olds, you want to swap in either the Chevy 350 (you'll need Monte Carlo parts for this), or the Oldsmobile 350.
I'd just go with the 350 since performance parts for the Oldsmobile V8s, from what I can find, are few and far between

Thanks.

If you put in a nice V8 and a nice manual transmission, what sort of gas mileage would you get?

This
I owned an 87 LS with the 305 and I was in the process of getting a 327 to swap when I got rid of it
The stock engines are garbage in the Olds and Monte, but if I was going to get a G-Body it would be either the El Camino or the Cutlass because the Olds had the better interior than the Chevy's due to Bucket seats, the Monte I had was a split bench which really sucks if you have to drive down windy roads

tl;dr Consider the Olds, El Camino, and Monte only because Monte's were plentiful and you can always mod the interior, swap the powertrain, Hotchkiss suspension etc etc

T-types aren't rare. You can find them several times easier than GN's.

Actually, OP needs to drive some and decide what he likes best. I'm betting that once he drives a Turbo Buick he won't even think about the others.

>I'd just go with the 350 since performance parts for the Oldsmobile V8s, from what I can find, are few and far between
IMO it's worth scavenging to find speed parts just so you can say you've got an actual Rocket 350 instead of taking the easy route and using an SBC like literally everyone else.

dont worry about miles per gallon, its smiles per gallon thats important

>If you put in a nice V8 and a nice manual transmission, what sort of gas mileage would you get?
It HONESTLY completely depends on which engine and which manual transmission.

If you swapped in a 350 V8 (for example, a vortec 5.7 from a late 90's GM truck) with the T5 5 speed from a late 80's Camaro, you could expect 13-14 mpg city, and high teens, low 20s highway,.

If you swapped in an LS V8 (say a 5.3 from a 1999+ GM truck) with a T56 6 speed manual from a 1998+ Camaro or Firebird or 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO, you could expect low 20's in the city and high 20's, possibly low 30's on the highway.

...also the gearing in the rear end.

I think that goes without saying when you convert an automatic only car to a manual.

Plus, the stock 10 bolt rear axles were weak stuff.
If you're going through with this, might as well get a custom 12 bolt from Moser Engineering.

GN is just an appearance package like the b body impala SS

>yfw

Regal T-types go for way less

>swapping a V8 into a grand national

Shit, nigger, at that point you just need to buy a regular regal.

It's been done. U mad?
youtube.com/watch?v=yPw1iJXAH6I

The Impala SS was just an appearance package? Shit, I always thought it got extra goodies compared to the Caprice like the Marauder and the Grand Marquis pair.

>U mad?
I'm pretty mad

>caring what other people do

Yup. The Impala SS came with nothing you couldn't get on a normal Caprice beyond the wheels, paint, and front bumper. Oversimplified but still.

The Grand National was also an appearance package mainly consisting of badges and black paint. The Grand National appearance package could only be applied to the Buick Regal T-Type though so it always came on the performance model. Want a Grand National in an actual color? Buy a T-type and swap the badges.

>80s T5

This guy has no idea what he's talking about, 80s turd gens only came stock with the 305 because the T5 couldn't handle the (laughable) power of the 350 at the time. 80s T5s are glass.

T5s are also incredibly easy to rebuild and have numerous upgrade kits.

LS Swap all the way, if you are going to go through the trouble don't waste your cash oh a mid 80s block. Get everything you need from a wrecked van/truck