I'm thinking of buying 10K CAD (Which would be around 400oz considering the actual spot price) worth of silver before...

I'm thinking of buying 10K CAD (Which would be around 400oz considering the actual spot price) worth of silver before the end of 2016.

I can hold this investment in a long term.

Is that a good idea?

maybe if youre building a fucking wall lol

I'm pretty sure if it is made of silver, my wall will get stolen pretty quick.

BUILD THE WALL

Don't buy it for investment, buy it for security. I would go with gold personally, because its much easier to trade. Coins are better than bullion imo, due to being more recognized.

Why not gold?? Much better desu. Daily reminder that there are silver mines in Australia right now which are on hold because it is not profitable enough to mine it because silver is soo cheap. The moment it goes up they can just start them again and the price will go down. Gold does not have the same issues and is a better safe heaven.

>precious metals prices right now

Do it now unless you want to wait to see if it drops more but I'm of the mindset that its better to be safe than sorry. Holding long term like you say is the only sure way because of how the markets are rigged and that the Fed knows things are inevitably fucked. We also have a gold president coming into office who is aware of the Fed's shenanigans.

Join us in the 21st century and buy some BTC, grandpa.

No its a horrible investment. Physical metals are the worst investment possible because the supply is constantly increasing the and the worse the economy gets the more people will be selling gold and silver.

Go for it mate, don't listen to the idiots here who think you should buy high and sell low, they love their day trades but they have no sense of long term trends, how to take advantage of over/under valued assets that will shift value from one to the other.

> Supply is constantly increasing

What is an industrial metal, to the retard on Veeky Forums, 20 points?

OP said Silver not Gold & the supply of currency increases at a far higher and more accelerated rate than the supply of precious metals, stop being silly and do your homework.

I don't advocate buying metals as an investment, nor even as a store of wealth (and I own 5oz of gold and 12 lb of silver: less than 2% of my assets).

That said, if you're going to to metals ALWAYS buy coins as says. Bullion, especially in larger quantities, is a real PITA to sell because it has to assayed/etc and the market is very thin. Coins are easily recognizable and easy to trade. You need to think about the situation where you would want to trade them. Who wants a 10lb bar of silver?

I would cost average over time, maybe 2k on the dips over a year or so.

Or if you are brave, look at the technical charts and try to predict a good entry point for going all in.

Why wouldnt you recommend it as a store of wealth?

Of course not. But it doesn't mean you can't dabble with paranoid fantasies of global market failures.

At the very least you will be able to hand a chunk of metal to an heir and let them deal with it. My dad did it to me.

Because if shit gets that bad you will want to be independent of the markets and have other sources of independence. A generator and 500 liters of fuel is worth much more than some metal coins. A source of pure clean water is worth much more than some coins. A shed full of rice and dried meats is worth much more than a brick of gold.

It's a matter of deciding how fucked is "fucked up". And any scenario I can come up with that tanks the US dollar to garbage (as my great grandparents dealt with in 1920s germany) always entails ability to produce and take care of yourself.

>the worse the economy gets the more people will be selling gold and silver.
I think this is possibly the most retarded thing I've ever seen posted on Veeky Forums and that is frankly a remarkable achievement. Well done!

he's right.

the point of having gold and silver is to hedge against inflation. It doesn't hedge until you sell it. You sell it when the currency is worthless.

so when the economy takes a shit is exactly when people will start spending precious metals.

>Is that a good idea?

Probably not.

I would (and have) put my money into dividend paying market etf's instead.

Physical metals have problems, you pay more for them, you have to put them somewhere they won't be stolen, and they sell below market price. Also if the world goes to hell I would rather have ammunition.

The markets could tank and silver could skyrocket, who the fuck knows, I don't see it happening.

>You sell it when the currency is worthless.
If the currency is worthless then you don't sell at any price. At that point Gold becomes a store of value and a protector of wealth. Why would you sell all your Gold if the Dollar (for example) is collapsing and experiencing Hyperinflation? That's the worst time to sell.

>so when the economy takes a shit is exactly when people will start spending precious metals.
That's why every recession, investors flock to Gold? Righto.

>Why would you sell all your Gold if the Dollar (for example) is collapsing and experiencing Hyperinflation?
because when dollars don't buy anything gold still does.

>That's why every recession, investors flock to Gold?
how many have you lived through?

I just don't buy metals so no. easy as that.

Personally I think that silver is undervalued. It's worth a purchase, but personally I wouldn't keep more than 30% of my portfolio in precious metals.