Is it possible for electric cars to have manual transmissions? Would there be any advantage in having it?

Is it possible for electric cars to have manual transmissions? Would there be any advantage in having it?

Other urls found in this thread:

fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/october/insight-how-the-cars-have-changed/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes
No

Please elaborate

higher top speed
single speed is limited by the maximum RPM of the motor

Of course there would be. Electric motors deliver huge torque from zero and a across a large band, but eventually even their torque drops to inefficient levels, especially at high speed when you need more power to overcome drag, plus a different gear ratio would decrease wear. For electric cars with a high top speed multiple gears or a variable transmission would actually be useful.

Yes, it's possible.
No, electric motors turn at arbitrary speeds and have no 'power band' as such. You'd lose power through more drivetrain components, and be hauling around extra weight.

9,7:1 ratio was a mistake

Formula E cars have gearboxes, but it's high end racing it's semi auto w/ paddles. I assume lower gearing would improve charge distance if motors are spinning slower, but then again I don't know much about how E cars work.

I always thought that a single dedicated crawler would be beneficial in trucks if an electric dump truck were to come along.

I know all of you are going to say that there are electric busses and shit but they don't carry over double their tare weight, restarting on hills that normal vehicles struggle on.

Though to be honest a much more powerful motor with a load sensor that limits power the lighter it is would probably be easier. The engineers would have to weigh up the pros and cons of a low range vs x-box heug power.

I live on a small "eco-friendly" island and we have some hills that the electric side by sides can't make it up with 4 people in but the gassers can because they have a low range.

the only advantage would be higher top speed, so no

Here is an article about the powertrains used in Formula E cars and how they've changed over the three seasons.
fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/october/insight-how-the-cars-have-changed/

Just like with conventional engines you're basically bridging the gap between the speeds the motor is most effective/efficient and the speeds you need the wheels to turn. It all depends on the characteristics of your motor and what you want the car to do.

There are like a million different electric motor designs so you can probably find one that needs whatever transmission you want.

Wouldn't this help overheating and range too?

>is it possible
you can put a manual transmission behind everything that makes a shaft spin, so...
>mfw this board

A bunch of the haul in the mining industry are basically diesel generators powering electric motors at the wheel. Insane twin turbo V16 diesel generators and electric motors the size of a small car but the idea is really the same.

Basically you can do whatever you want.

well, DC motors have stupid torque down load then quickly lose it, so you (could) potentially do a stick shift by controlling what's essentially various levels of overdrive on a DC motor?

it'd be like every time you drop a gear you go right back to peak torque every time

Electric motors drive the axles directly with NO transmission, though sometimes a reduction gear is added.

A "Manual" electric is a waste of time and a stupid idea.

Not really and no.

>1:
no, that's just some retarded designs

>a waste of time and a stupid idea
>better for crawling up hills and top speed
are you a retard

>HEY GUYS WHY YOU NEED GEARS IN YOUR AUTOMOBILES YOU WANNA GO FASTER THAN A HORSE OR SUMPTIN

yes that's pointless, nobody in the world drives faster than 70mph or needs to quickly accelerate past that, as we are all americans

>electric motors turn at arbitrary speeds and have no 'power band' as such.

They don't though... DC motors are the torque monsters you're thinking of, They start to loose power at higher rpm's. AC induction motors like Tesla use don't have much torque and get all their power from the crazy high rpm's and a big gear reduction.

Put a pair of vice grips on a drill motor shaft and try to hold on,easy, Now do it with the gearbox attached and see what happens. That's where the "instant torque" comes from.

Gearboxes are one of the most difficult to engineer systems on a car. Difficult to tune, ultra precision machining, lots of tiny pieces to assemble, they really are an engineering nightmare.

And that's where Tesla saves their money. They have no changing of gears in their transmission. Only a gear going into the rear differential. If they included a transmission, the electric car would fix a lot of their problems (range, low top speed, etc.) But they cost money, money which is in tight supply when the cost of the battery alone is $10k.

so electric isn't the future yet and probably never will be, got it

brb converting my car to E100

why would you have gears fro something that doesn't need it?

it would be a extreme disadvantage if anything

he was talking about a manual, it's pretty fucking pointless in a all electric car where an automat would be more beneficial

Technically literbikes don't need gears, but hey, they have them anyways because why the fuck would you waste your expensive ass wheel spinner by limiting it to one gear ratio

>Start in second
>Stay in second all day
>top speed: 100+mph

an automatic isn't beneficial for anything except being lazy or really bad at driving

are you sure you didn't mean semi-automatic?

inb4 CVT

>tork monster DC motor kills it in 1000 miles

uh oh, here comes the manual defense force

Please explain why everyone in motorsport shifts their own gears. Oh right, because a computer can be programmed to maintain fuel efficiency and usable power, but can't go fast around a track unless you go full AI mode and have it drive itself (at the point where it knows where you are on the track and what's next it might as well).

Automatic gear shifts are for lazy/incompetent commuters and entirely automatic cars

Please note that I never said anything about automatic clutches.

The things turning the wheel, operating the brakes, and changing the gear ratio should all be the same brain if a car is to perform at its best.

there are automatics that are better than manuals

they shift quickly and smoothly, face it, manuals are outdated as fuck especially with paddle shifters

I'm glad this thread went from ignorant electric motor idiocy which triggers me considerably to ignorant manual vs automatic idiocy which I am relatively immune to.

this statement is 10 years old
manuals are cool and i hope they stick around but the #savethemanuals movement is full of blind elitism like this

Shift times have nothing to do with what is deciding when to shift. Do you even know what you're talking about or did you see that a DCT (with the gears being manually selected, operating as an SMG) beat out a sportscar with a standard gearbox on a track and "figger" "well huh, muh bimmer shifts itself all the time, guess autos are better round a track hyuck"

Also there are quite a few racing spec manuals that shift as quickly and smoothly as DCTs while being half the weight and a quarter as complex.

There's no saving the manuals. They're already saved.

Manual gear selection is king when human drivers are involved. Anything else is gimping the car to make up for the possibility of the driver being so fucking shit at shifting that they'd do even worse, which is great for low performance applications like street driving but pointless in an actual sportscar used for carsports.

In season 1 5spd was mandatory, now they can have whatever they want, some still ise the 5spd other use a 2spd and some went 1

Because the rules stipulate they have to.

>Automatic gear shifts are for lazy/incompetent commuters and entirely automatic cars

And manuals are for boiracers...how`s your cheap manual honda rusting anyway?

Formula 1
>Semi-automatic gearboxes are permitted but automatic gear changes and Constantly Variable Transmission (CVT) systems are not.
Indycar
>Gearbox: XTRAC #1011 gearbox
>Six forward gears, one reverse gear, Mega-Line Assisted Gear Shift (paddle-shift)
WEC
>The number of forward gear ratios must be less or equal to 7.
>Each individual gear change must be separately initiated by the driver and, within the mechanical constraints of the gearbox,
>Continuously variable transmission systems are not permitted to
transmit the power of the power unit defined in Articles 1.16 and