I am buying a new car with stick and will attempt to bring it home without ever having driven a manual

i am buying a new car with stick and will attempt to bring it home without ever having driven a manual

what is a list of things that could go wrong?

1. you die
2. someone else dies
3. all of the above

pretty good outcomes iyam

Stalling in traffic. That's about it

If you ask the dealership, they might be able to teach you

Lol I'm also looking into doing this
But I'm thinking I'll have someone drive it home for me so that I can just practice while comfy at home

Why don't you people use the 2nd page of Google Images. This picture literally comes up every fucking day.

Look, I love T-Swift too, but posting her here with all of your posts is just as bad as tripfagging and it's really creepy and doesn't make us look good

But-but-but-but... designated shitposting threads.

Also:
>reaction images

You would really need to ham it up to fuck up the tranny/clutch.
Just take it easy. if you stall just stay calm and try again.
Try practicing in the dealership's parking lot before hitting up the roads.
And you can get in an accident and die, but that's a risk we all take when we drive, regardless of transmission.

>that fucking steering wheel
what kind of shitbox is that

>designated shitposting threads
kek, I guess that makes sense. Carry on

Hill starts will be very annoying even with the parking brake. I would advise planning a route with no hills and a LOT of backroads.

Why don't you just get your friend to drive it back for you so you don't sit in traffic embarrassed.

I call her Taynger.

That's what I did. I just got my brother to drive it home. A few hours later I was driving around our neighborhood. In a couple of days, I was comfortable driving in traffic. Within a week, I was a pro.

It's called avatarfagging and at least in the olden days would get you warned/short-term b&.

Don't try to rush the clutch.
That's about it, really.

MFW learnt with a 3.08 final drive

If I can do 1st that revs out to 90km
/50mph in a old crunchy t56 with more notches than a tablorone bar and a heavy duty clutch u will be fine.

>Expect to stall alot
>Practice hillstarts
>Learn bite point
>Learn shift points
>Do mad 1-4th gear ripshifts like a mad man

My mom has one of these appliancemobiles with the Manuel transmission and I honestly could never learn how to drive it smoothly. Feels awful

I was in the same situation so I brought my friend who can drive stick

Got gud

Git gud

Manual is easy

- you will stall (likelihood: it will happen several times)
- you will burn out the clutch (likelihood: if you're an idiot, maybe)
- you will roll backwards into someone (likelihood: if you're an idiot, maybe)

Before moving:

Practice how much pressure you need to put on the accelerator to keep the RPMs between 1500-2000.

Once you are comfortable with that, press the accelerator down keeping it between 1500-2000 and while depressing the clutch pedal, slowly lift it up.

OR

In first gear, slowly lift your foot off the clutch pedal and the car should start moving by itself, if you feel the car is shuddering then push the pedal in and remove your foot more slowly.

It's not avatarfagging if each one is a reaction image.
>loopholes

First you're going to stall it 17 times at the dealership trying to get it in first gear and the entire staff will notice and gather around to laugh hysterically, then you roll back into a pickup truck with a winch on the front at the first red light and smash your entire trunk causing $2000 in damage.

Lmao that's actually happened to me one time when this Chinese BMW 5 series driver downtown a few days ago. Literally no damage was done to my frankenstein trucc whilst his bumper probably needed to be fixed for something stupid like $2000 and painted for like $500.

No one laughed though. He got out and I just looked at him and was like "yeah bruh my vehicle's fine. no need to take insurance, we're good. whatever"

i bought a 40 year old beater motorcycle in a town 50 kms away and learned to drive it on the way home

you'll be fine

I did this with my current car.
I lived. Only stalled a few times trying to pull in for gas but it was mostly highway driving otherwise.

So you plan to buy a car without test driving it?

Can there be a more cucked thing to do?

Don't do it.

Where do you live? Maybe some user can do it for you. I could barely get around the parking lot when I started. I can't imagine dealing with traffic lights never using my left foot to drive before.

>one week
>pro

W E W L A D
E
W

L
A
D

Driving manual isn't that hard. He's exaggerating, but within a week anyone's at the very least competent.

I did exactly that
Stalled twice
Not bad for having only driven manual on a public road for about 5 minutes in my life beforehand

It's actually one of the hardest things anyone can do in regards to car ownership.

Look, I own a Hyundai with 136 hp, and let me tell you it is absolutely enough for my needs, especially being a manual. It had to replace the clutch after the first month, but after that I started to get the hang of it.

OP should consider an auto for now.

You should check the tires pressures user.

go on a monday morning

take the slowest, least trafficked route

avoid highways, bridges, and any hills

drive slow

if you want, leave the blinkers on so people will stay the fuck away from you

practice somewhere close to the dealership

it's not a good idea

In all of my driving lessons I stalled like 5 times total. Mastering manual is difficult, but getting good enough is something almost anyone can do.

Huh. Why?

Pro was a strong word. I got much better over time, but within a week I didn't have any anxiety about heavy traffic or hills or anything and could do it without stalling or clutch dumping.

best way to learn

has good tips

expect to stall, and recover as quick as possible.

when you're learning, more gas is always the answer.

>manualfags can't even drive on hills
I'd feel bad but it's all your own fault

yea why did i think of this. why wouldn't they teach you.

Two ways to think about this.
1. You can over-inflate the tires, which will make them lose grip more quickly. The idea being, if you let the clutch out too quickly your wheels will spin instead of the car stalling.
2. Deflate the tires a bit. This gives you more grip and allows you to use the clutch a little bit less. Also better if the car is more powerful.

Once you have spent some time with the car and feel it all out, you can change tire pressure how you like. Personally, I run pretty high pressure in the back, to get the rear more loose, while keeping the front tires under-inflated by about 10 psi for ultimate grip. I also run a few psi higher on the left side to support my body weight better and even out the handling.

Wait, they didnt teach how to drive manual while getting licence on burgerland?

Maybe because they sell cars and don't run a driving school?

If it's not busy and the lot jockey is cool, he might tho. BJs go a long way.

very bad idea

you're never going to learn how to drive a manual without stalling at least a dozen times, then you'll learn the limits of your clutch and when you should push the clutch back in to correct before a stall occurs.

just tow it if you really don't have anyone to teach you. Took me a couple days of practice over a weekend before I started commuting with the manual car I just bought.

Okay I get this but why did you respond to the tayposter.

What if I don't have tyres? :^)

Do it OP.
Just do it.

It's not that hard. You'll get a feel for it.

Read about it before you buy it.

Hopefully when you buy it, you can drive it to some empty/slow streets and get a better feel for it before you're in traffic.

You'll get nervous, you'll be intimidated, you'll be a lot more critical of everyone elses driving. And it'll persist for your first few months of driving.

It's a perfectly fine idea.

The main issue most have with a manual is learning how by driving it like a faggot.
It's very easy to drive a manual as fast as possible, it's much harder to drive it slow and smooth.

Basically just launch the thing and shift close to redline. You can learn smooth and steady driving later, and you won't look like a tard stalling it everywhere

Ignorance of your inability is your greatest asset. Just think "drunk hillbillies can do this, and I can't?"

>things that could go wrong?

Lots.

Do you have a buddy that ca drive stick? And a couple of hours in an empty parking lot? Have him drive the car from the dealer to the empty lot. An hour or so of practice away from traffic will get you good enough to drive stick in most places (but not San Francisco) passably.

Take buddy out for steak and beer for the effort.

>Steps to git gud at stick
>Written by a drunk burger

Step 0(Empty space)
>Find an empty parking lot or somewhere with lots of space for you to fuck around
>Even better if it has a flat section and a slight hill somewhere
>Find spectators so they can laugh as you fail to do the next steps

Step1 (Learn bite point)
>let out clutch slowly till car starts to creep forward
>Get car moving on flat surface without using throttle
>Do this without stalling out

Step 2 (Throttle control)
>Now that you know where clutch grabs
>Same as step one but use throttle this time
>Slowly add throttle as you are letting clutch out (how much throttle depends car to car)
>Repeat until you can go from stopped to moving without being jerky as fuck

Step 3 (Hill Starts)
>Learn to do step 2 while on an incline without rolling backwards
>This is pretty much the same as step 2 but you will roll backwards if you are not fast enough
>add throttle while getting to bite point quickly

(Bitchmode Hillstarts)
>Usehandbrake to prevent rolling backwards
>Same as step 3

Step 4 (Downshifting)
>Learn what the RPM difference between gears
>Learn to blip throttle for desired RPM
>Match RPM with gear you want
>Go down 1 gear (5th-4th/4th-3rd)
>I'm almost a racecar driver mode down 2 gears on one blip
>Practice till you can do this not jerky as fuck

Step 5(Pracetice Practice Practice)
>Go drive
>Go drive more
>Keep doing all these things till you can do them without thinking about it

Step 6 (I'm fucking Dagumi now)
>Now that you can drive and are not jerky as fuck
>Heel Toe Dopwnshift
>Same as step 4
>Left half of ball of foot on brake
>While pushing brake either roll side of foot to blip throttle or twist and use heel to blip throttle (depends on car and pedal distance/setup) do whatever works for you there isnt a right way to do it
>Get the gear you want
>you now down a gear/slowed down and ready to go WOT out of the turn.
>foot off brake and onto throttle

15min and you will be good enough to stall your way home

I did this with my car. Watch some YouTube videos. Stalled a lot but it's much more fluid once you're actually driving on the streets. I would just drop the clutch sometimes when I was stalling more than twice and my car is still good 22000 miles later.

tbqh using the handbrake for a steep hillstart (like in sf) is totally fine. Besides, most of the people there don't even know what a manual is and will ride your ass as close as possible

>using the handbrake for anything other than parking and snow drifts
Please don't be that autist that does it for hill starts.

Non Veeky Forumstist here.
What is autistic about it?

don't worry about it op

just keep the revs up and you'll never stall.

Don't floor it and pop the clutch though, you'll shit yourself.

I've been driving stick shift for over 5 years, and have never ever experienced any condition where that would be any bit of value to me.

>be on hill
>foot on brake
>let off clutch
>it grabs
>get off brake
>onto gas
>clutch all the way out
>we're on the road again

why would you ever want to complicate that simple process by using a parking brake?

I did literally this exact thing two weeks ago.

What I learned:

>You'll stall
>Once you get moving it's retard level easy
>You'll learn quickly (I'm no Dagumi yet by a long shot but it took about a week before I could commute to work without having to think about it)
>Rev hang sucks a fat cock

Stuff you should do:

>Either give it a lot of gas and release the clutch quickly (jerky but you'll get moving) or give it very little gas and release very slowly (You'll stall a bunch till you learn to do it right). Don't mix and match, that's how you ruin your clutch.

>Make sure your transmission is covered under warranty

>Bring a friend who can drive a manual.

because the process is made easier? anyone who implies that using the handbrake is more complicated is actually incapable of using their hands

Sounds stupid and unnecessary to me.

>change the entire process of launching because of an incline
ANYONE WHO IMPLIES IT'S MORE COMPLICATED IS AN AMPUTEE

I would add that you can keep your foot on a brake pedal while you're letting the clutch out until the point where it's about to stall. Lessens the time you could be rolling back.

it's a bit more advanced but it's much better for me than letting the brake off immediately and rushing because that's when you could mess up and throttle beyond 2K-3K rpm.

They usually will if you ask politely and BEFORE you buy the car. Then they will sell the car easier

This OP. If you know this and do one of these two things you will be fine. Also try not to take hilly roads

If that push-up bra gets any higher she's gonna sufficate.

Also stop avatarfagging no one cares about ur ebin Tay Tay

The WRX shift knob actually looks pretty good and it gets the sitck-shift idea across very well, that's why people keep using it.

I love this picture, it's my car.

Whereas being on Veeky Forums makes you look like a fuckin' rock star.

I did exactly this with my golf r. The worst was getting out of the dealership because it was on a pretty steep incline leading into busy traffic. I stalled twice trying to get out. After shifting into 2nd, I felt much more comfortable. I stalled once or twice starting from stop lights the rest of the way home.

The simplest tip is to avoid busy traffic to avoid getting rear ended and stopping on steep slopes (take a different route if needed).

> be on hill
>foot on brake
>let off clutch
>it grabs

wut? Don't you need be rev the engine a bit and get the biting point before moving off? Wouldn't your method have the car rolling back a bit before moving forward?

but everyone says not the ride the clutch

what user described is the same shit as starting the car on flat ground, except you have your foot on the brake while you're letting off the clutch at first.

sometimes you just have to ride on the clutch like when you're creeping, as long as you're not an idiot with it

My brother wanted to learn manual on a new fiat 500 that he planned to buy, and when he told the seller this she drove us to an empty parking lot and gave a lesson/test drive there.

Dont stare at the tach
Do it by ear and feel and you wont stall a bunch of times

i dont think you should be allowed on Veeky Forums if you cant drive manual. i say we ban fatty americans entirely.

apparently not

>be fat ass 300lb american
>drive subcompact
>is manual

check mate yorup

This

If you're patient and ride the clutch a bit to understand it for about a week, it becomes natural. Took me a week to get, extra week to understand hill starts well (with my fucked handbrake). Only stalled about 2-3 times total and I'm Asian

If I engaged the clutch without applying the throttle on a hill in my shitbox hatchback, I'm pretty sure I'd go backwards.

>without applying the throttle
no one said that

the point is that you can start letting the clutch out while your foot is still on the brake then switch to the throttle when you're at the bite point

now if you instead let your foot off the brake while you're still trying to feel the bite point, you're already rolling down the hill

is there gonna be an interwebs fight f a m? you better watch out

you mother fucker

you could have too much fun and die