I really want a two door SUV Veeky Forums. The thing is...

I really want a two door SUV Veeky Forums. The thing is, there's hot rodders blood in my veins and I want to mod it to go fast. I don't have to be the fastest but something like a v8 and a supercharger would be plenty. I don't plan on doing hardcore off road, just some light trails. I don't like getting my shit fucked up in the middle of no where. 4x4 is a big plus, but not entirely required.

My knowledge is limited. There are blazers which I could get manual trans 4x4 v6 and do a 350 swap, but thats a lot of headache, I don't have the tools or knowledge to do the swap myself. Light weight (for an suv) and cheap.

Then there is ford explorer sports, but AFAIK it's hard as tits to find a 2 door v8 (if the 2 doors even came with a v8, I'm not sure) and they're all automatics. I also don't like fords.

Also there is the yukon/tahoe, which came 2 door and with a v8, but they're heavy as fuck. Wouldn't mind trying my hands with a 6.5 diesel, but I've heard bad things about that engine, if I could even find one, they're supposedly rare. These you can find in good condition because they're all mall crawlers, but they seem to be the priciest because 2 doors are rare.

Lastly there is the classic XJ two door, can be had in manual with the godlike 4.0. There are turbo kits for it too. Problems with these are they're hard to find in good condition, they're all off road warriors with rust and shit fucked up.

I'm leaning towards the Yukon/Tahoe. Any one got any other honorable mentions? I know suzuki made some good little SUV's like the samurai, tracker, x90, but it would be hard to mod them out to be quick.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R3BGpHJ2DHA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I would get a V6 Blazer and look into anything to just make it fast without a swap. It's light as you say, might as well just do what you can with the existing motor.

Also if you're only taking really light offroading, do some off-road mods to a Forester XT? if you don't mind the carpetmuncher stigma.

I forgot to mention my budget is like 5k. Forester XT manual trans would be perfect but they're still a little pricey.

A 4 runner eh. What engines came in those? I know theres supercharger and turbo kits for tacoma's, would those fit on one of those?

Yeah 5k is a little tough for that. Might be able to find a beat up second gen. Fuckin' vape tax.

>google two door SUVs
>find an article titled "Attention Automakers: Please Stop Selling Two-Door SUVs"
>it's written by Doug fucking DeMuro

my friend has a yukon gt, it's pretty nice but the 350 is fucking gutless and it weighs a fuck ton

Get a typhoon were fast as corvetts and some Ferraris of the time or get a 1st, 2nd or third gen blazer/jimmy and make it turbo and just model the engine after what they did to this thing

I couldn't afford a typhoon, they're crazy money these days. A turbo blazer would be nice though.

The 4.3 is basically a 350 Chevy with 2 cylinders hacked off so redoing internals wouldn't be that hard then throw a nice turbo on the bitch and fly I have a 2nd. Gen blazer in 4 door variety and its speed is OK as is

inline 4 and v6 i think

>5k
Just get a bloody Blazer and then figure out what you can do about the engine as time goes on. The V6 can be made fast if you commit.

Why no k5s, broncos, or ramchargers

Throw away the 4.3 and install naturally aspirated V8 build of choice for more HP than OP will be able to use offroad and much greater reliability. OP wants turbo for the meme, not how they actually work.

There are plenty of choices. Of course do NOT make your toy your only vehicle or you will be a pedestrian quite often.

Buy a good running whatever, go over it thoroughly, then choose mods according to how you actually drive the thing instead of just throwing parts at it.

I want a 2-door SUV too. Yukon GT's and 2-door Tahoes are hard to come by now a days.

I just suggested the turbo because of how well the typhoon fit what he needed while not being able to afford siad car he can afford a turbo for the 4.3 it's self

The Explorers are terrible, unreliable, and poorly designed SUVs. Forget them completely. If you get stuck on Ford, get a fullsize Bronco.

The two door Tahoes/Yukons aren't that heavy. The entirety of the drivetrain was built to pull and stop the heavier Suburban. Throw in a $400 junkyard 454 from a 96-99 (100% bolt in) and you're making power like a supercharged 350. Shorty headers, cam, and a tune will do wonders and are all pretty cheap. Aftermarket heads can make a big difference as well, especially if you've got it cammed for top end power.

The 6.5 has a few known issues but all of them can be fixed. You can get more power out of it, but it'll never be fast. They're uncommon in the 2 doors but I wouldn't call them rare.

As far as hotrodding goes, the fullsize GM would probably be your best choice with the S10 platform lagging behind in second. For hotrodding I'd recommend forgetting the 4Runner, XJ, or anything from Suzuki entirely.

>building/swapping in a SBC
>not LS
just fuck off burbalade you fucking idiot

There is nothing wrong with the sbc other than it being old. Weight isn't a huge concern and it'll make plenty decent power.

No where in that post mentioned building or swapping in an SBC.

With the money and effort it would take to swap in a stock LM7 at 270hp you could have a 400hp big block.

Ask me about my 6.5l

I had a 2 door Jimmy S15 4x4 5 spd, Shit was pretty cash. The blazer S10/15's were under around ~3600lbs. They're sketchy with the stock 200hp. You should worry about brakes, suspension and tires before you start throwing more power into a boxy SUV. My brakes would be smoking and rims burning hot to the touch after forest road hooning sessions.

V8 swaps are supposedly pretty straight forward with the RWD models but a nightmare with 4x4.

vid related

youtube.com/watch?v=R3BGpHJ2DHA

Whats up with your 6.5?

It's getting an HX35 and Cummins intercooler for more usable power.
Mechanical injection to avoid PMD issues.
Duramax clutch fan, Cummins radiator, and high flow water pump to avoid cooling issues.
Should be a near bulletproof engine with a new crank pulley every 100k miles or so.

Literally 500 dollar swap, if you're going to build a motor don't start with old outdated shit when you can build on the new hotness

People ls swap those gmt400 2 door tahoes u know that bby?

>read article
>it's pretty much him sucking on that juicy chrysler meat non-stop

fucking hell, no wonder people hate his ass

$500 will get you a motor and MAYBE a stock harness. Then you've got a conversion harness and motor mounts at minimum that you still need to buy. I see plenty of people doing the swaps in these trucks. They usually run around $1200 with $1000 being on the cheap side for a stock swap. Just trade away a little bit of bottom end power for a little bit of top end power. You can achieve the same performance with just a (very) mild cam in the 350.

If you're replacing a 4 cyl in a coupe for conefagging, sure the LS is the better option. But this platform favors more low end power and there are great engines with far more low end power that are bolt in due to being factory options on the same platform.

Dodge Dakota with a 5.9L, then turbocharge it.

>conversion harness
What?
Stock 5.3 and stock ecu work fine
Also motor mount adapter plates are literally 20 dollars
Lol put a cam in the LS and smoke the 350, stupid to build on the 350, just stupid

>Stock 5.3 and stock ecu work fine
If you throw a 5.3 and ECU into a 5.7 truck it's not going to work without either buying a conversion harness or modifying the existing harnesses yourself. The shitty plates are around $60. Do those even line it up properly? Most of them require moving the transmission which is going to require moving the trans crossmember. Which of course is also going to move the T case which can fuck you up if it's not an electronic t case. Then there's the AC compressor. To keep that functioning correctly you need an aftermarket bracket for that as well. Then you need all extra time trying to figure out why this shit isn't working correctly and then waiting on shipping after you finally find out you don't have everything you need because everyone grossly exaggerated how easy the swap is and how little you need. The shit adds up. And unless you're shooting for well over 500hp, you'll likely not make up for the extra cost of the swap what you save in parts to get to that power. Spending $500 to save $200 isn't really saving anything.