Hey Veeky Forums, /k/ here. I asked for some help on getting a new car a few days ago...

Hey Veeky Forums, /k/ here. I asked for some help on getting a new car a few days ago, and I think I have what I'm getting, but I want to know if it's shit and I'm a moron. As a bonus, girlfriend is also getting a car, same deal.

My selection: 2015 Chevy Malibu LS, 20k mi., $13.5k
Girlfriend's choice: 2016 Chevy Impala LS, 17.5k mi., $15.5k.

I commute one hour each way, every day, all on the highway, so I wanted something comfy and reliable. She commutes 15 minutes each way on surface streets through rural nowhere, and she's been in love with the Impala forever.

Do these cars sounds good, are the prices acceptable, and lastly, do they sounds like a good fit for the driving we each do?

Thanks Veeky Forums!

Other urls found in this thread:

chevymalibuforum.com/
chevyforum.org/chevy-forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8
chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Tier_Detergent_Gasoline
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/16642612/#q16642612
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/16125351/#q16125351
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Had the impala. It was great. comfy, looks great, good mpgs, good road trip vehicle, I had the LT with the better infotainment center.

Go with the Impala.

Have you cross shopped the malibu with literally anything else?

I've driven all the mid sizes extensively and that was my least favorite. maybe the new generation is better but as it stands. It will sound like shilling but I really liked the comfort of the Fusion the best. felt the most ergonomic. Can't speak for reliability of any of these though.

>/k/ here
>are these two selections from the Hi-Point brand of cars OK?

>chebby

don't even attempt to bother, get a mazda6

>Go with the Impala.
Good to know, GF will be pleased.
Eh, not looking for anything fancy or fast, just comfy and fast enough for the highway.
Yeah, and it just barely edged out the Nissan Sentra I had my heart set on for quite some time. I'll be honest, this decision is me giving up in some ways, since I've had to deal with 5 or so cars all coming up short during my adventure for a new ride. Wasn't a fan of the Fiesta or Focus, didn't figure the Fusion would be much better.
>>are these two selections from the Hi-Point brand of cars OK?
Alright, that was good. Is Chevy that bad? I'd seen nothing but wild praise for the Impala, and the Malibu was looking good too. Should I reconsider and go back to my first plan of Sentra or Mazda3?
Would you say the Mazda3 would be acceptable? The 6 is harder to find in both good condition and in my price range, but there are 3s all over.

That's the malibu before the 2016 model with turbo, so that's good. It's a reliable engine (along with the 2016 Malibu Limited which is also N/A).

The malibu has a lot of room in it but the visibility is poor since you have the option package without the rear view camera or sensors. The newest malibu without turbo is the 2016 Limited.

Since you are commuting almost all on the highway, you will get good mileage in the 34MPG or higher if you let cruise control handle it. In the city, it could drop to 19MPG because that 24MPG or 22MPG city on the sticker is bogus and achieved with legal trickery and gaming of the EPA tests. My friend who has a 2016 Malibu Limited can't get above 19MPG or so in the city with regular 87 top tier fuel and 21 with premium top tier fuel. So from his experiment, the car seems to want premium due to the knock sensor adjustment.

The Malibu comes from GM with Continental ProContact tires for LS and LT models. Those are a great match for the car's weight and I think you'll like how it turns smartly and stops when the road is wet but not hydroplaning wet.

Yes, Mazda3 is also good.

You can also go read the malibu forums.

chevymalibuforum.com/

chevyforum.org/chevy-forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/

save your money and move. commuting that long is retarded.

In this segment, please look for a mazda6 or mazda3. They are the only ones who're trying anymore. New sentra is total dogshit but it makes them money because its boring , cheap, inoffensive. I'd say ford is pretty good too, have heard nothing but bad things about the other americans.

Chevy Shill here, dont listen to these Ford and Mazda shills. Everyone on Veeky Forums gets ass mad whenever anyone likes a Chevy. They just can't handle all the most awards commercials and real people not actor adds.

Both are good cars. The Impala will hold more resale value if you decide to sell or trade it before it hits 150k miles. After that they will be worth the same. (source, me selling chevy for ten years).

Inb4: Bailout, GTR ring times, not actors

I can confirm, I rode in my friend's new 6 and it was awesome. Looks nice too, Mazda's the only one who seems to be able to make this edgy 2010s styling work well. Interior feels MUCH nicer than anything in its class- Accord, Camry, Malibu, Altima, et cetera. Curious as to whether they're going to try their hands at full on luxury cars again.

Actually, that's exactly what Mazda is trying to do.

I don't know if they'll be able to manage it though - Lexus was really only able to shake the Toyota stigma by spending an enormous sum of money and they're currently spending enormous sums of money convincing the world that it's a brand with passion/vision.

Infiniti is struggling with it even though they're *generally* accepted as a lux brand. The prior gens from Infiniti were largely considered trashy, low class, and for wannabe's.

Acura is kind of the same... they're just chugging along as the sensible upscale vehicle.

Mazda though... I don't know what they're going to do. Even if their whole likeup is really nice, it's still kind of in that in-between zone where it's nicer than most econo-car offerings but not quite up to par with luxury brands.

They basically have to be able to compete with Audi, and that's not happening soon. Most people still associate Mazda with cheap and fun.

Thats not how fuel works, normie.

i actually like my chebby sonic, normally id never even consider a chevy but it was cheap. Just hoping the reasons i used to stay away from chevy are no longer true, mostly shit tier reliability

decently fun to drive and rides well

He's not talking about how fuel works. He's talking about how the engine retards timing as part of the anti-knock feature.

>I commute one hour each way, every day, all on the highway, so I wanted something comfy and reliable
I have a 2016 malibu ltz and it is quite comfortable once I adjusted the seats properly. I like their firmness and that works especially well once you adjust the lumbar curvature of the seat to conform to your satisfaction.

Malibu is a solid choice op, my mom drives 60k plus miles a year and her 2016 is very comfortable, has decent power, has been reliable and has good space. I enjoy driving it quite a bit even though I was very skeptical at first. You should definitely try out the Fusion as it's a bit more comfy but it's not as good an all around package as the Malibu. Mazda 6 is great but I feel like it might not be what you're looking for as a comfy, numb commuter. Mazda 6 is more involving and meant to be a more fun commuter. The Fusion is leagues ahead of the focus and fiesta so don't compare it with those. DO NOT GET THE NISSAN SENTRA. Literally get anything but the Nissan Sentra. Honestly I'd say the Malibu is your best bet and a very solid fit for how you drive and what you're wanting/looking for/your intended purposes for the vehicle.

the malibu is a giant piece of shit. shutting off engine to conserve mpg is fucking retarded

the seat belt is also basically the most uncomfortable piece of shit ever and the interior has riced out fucking blue lights everywhere

i have no idea if the impala is any better but the malibu is garbage and i hate the rental company for giving me this POS to drive for 2 days.

>Malibu is a solid choice op
no it fucking isn't

i would literally drive a 200k honda accord compared to a brand new malibu

it's the ugliest interior ive ever seen and the stop start bullshit is janky and terrible driving experience.

any fucking econobox can handle 60k a year highway miles

also the tech is so retarded that it turns off passenger airbags and makes a random alarm noise when you put a phone on the passenger seat.

shit is a horrible car and priced accordingly

Impala. Better all around package.

t. Impala LS owner

Wow, thanks a bunch man! Good stuff to know. How would you say it stacks up against the other car I'm still thinking about, the Nissan Sentra? I found a 2015 SV for ~$11K with 51k mi.. I love how both feel, but I can't decied and I've seen more complaints about serious issues for Sentras, mostly from the transmission, but it seems like most of that is people fucking up their own car.

Can't, sadly. I'm here for the GF, and to be close to both our families. Also, living anywhere near my work is way outside my price range if I want to be in non-ghetto areas.

Weird, everything Ford I've seen either feels like ass, or has more complaints than a police station in Fergusson.

Good to know I'm not just dumb. At first I thought Veeky Forums might know some horrible secret about Chevy I hadn't found out yet.

Odd you mention being nicer inside than the Camry and Malibu, they all three feel about as comfortable to me, but that's all subjective I guess. Definitely wanting the Mazda, not wanting the jump in insurance for it being a red sports car.

The seats were so nice, everything just felt comfy all around. Didn't realize there was a lumbar adjustment in the Malibu.

>DO NOT GET THE NISSAN SENTRA.
Oh shit, why's that? I know the Versa is dogshit, but the Sentra seems really nice.

And I don't need a numb commuter, I'm down for fun, I'm just not ready for a more expensive purchase. I have found affordable Mazda3s, so that'll be the new 2nd place option.

>shutting off engine to conserve mpg is fucking retarded
It's an odd choice, but more odd is that the one I test drove didn't do that at any point. Very weird. The seatbelt was alright, and the blue lights are nice, to me anyway. And yes, the Impala is better.

>turns off passenger airbags and makes a random alarm noise when you put a phone on the passenger seat.
Hahaha what? That's crazy man.

Wish me luck, going to buy something now.

>living with a gf
>making purchasing decisions with a gf
You dun goofed.

What do you drive now?

Fucking dumbass

>The seats were so nice, everything just felt comfy all around. Didn't realize there was a lumbar adjustment in the Malibu.

I have the LTZ with all the options except the low profile wheels which I refused. The baseline malibu has the basic seats which have the electric tilt and height, additional seat adjustments, but not the heated seat or adjustable lumbar.

Go to the chevrolet site and you will see the various option packages for malibu. In my mind, the upgraded sound system with 9 speakers is worth getting. It comes with a subwoofer to make sure you have a slight bottom end bass punch (the bass thump in chest cavity feeling).

My malibu is able to turn off the front passenger airbag so it doesn't blow if there is no front passenger. Don't know about your year model.

For the 2016, there is a big difference in interior looks between the base and LT1 which is where the nicer touchscreen appears. I don't know about the 2015 model. The dash appearance is quite different with the addition of cool blue lights which come on at night.

As for lights, there was a study done about cool blue lights keeping people more awake. Perhaps GM listened to that and implemented it in one car as a test. Malibu was the first GM make the years to get various changes that then went into other makes and models. So apparently some things used Malibu as the consumer test.

As for seats, the LTZ has lots of buttons on the side of the seat. The basic seat only has one button.

If you smoke, use a butane lighter. The 12V accessory power ports are only for powering accessories. They are not heat rated for actual lighters. You have to get the smoking option package to get the heat rated socket and lighter.

If you inch forward a lot before stopping, the stop/start doesn't always trigger as it thinks you might inch some more. I avoid stopping by letting off on the brake at the very end. Just hold the brake enough to stop the car but not enough to stop the engine.

99 Camry. Has a hair shy of 180k miles. It's got a few dozen issues, so it'll be nice to have a not busted car.

And hey, I like where I live, so it was a joint pick. Besides, living in the city is shitty, just outside suburbs in the country is nice.

Really good info, especially since I just bought the car. First time buying anything over four digits in price.
... Holy shit I just bought a car. Now to learn how to fix it off needed and make it truly mine. Anything Veeky Forums would recommend to mod the car for kicks?

Kill yourself. It's a shit car. Should've fixed the camry. It's a perfectly adequate car.

Lower octane fuel can pre-detonate and the computer will sense that and retard the timing to the point where knocking doesn't occur. Of course, that wastes both fuel and power (aka energy) on each stroke. To prevent the need for the computer to retard the timing, a higher octane fuel is used. The vehicle may then have a noticeable increase in MPG if there had been a lot of retarding. Some owners may experiment switching between regular 87 octane to 92/93 octane fuel to see if there is MPG improvement.

Since ethanol has a higher octane level than gasoline, it is also used as a lower-cost octane booster. Top Tier Gasoline sets a limit of 10% ethanol, so in areas with winter fuel (up to 10% ethanol), the higher octane premium fuel will use the more expensive additives to boost octane. Top Tier also sets limits on sulfur content and other contaminants that may occur from cheaper refining.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Tier_Detergent_Gasoline

Of course the higher octane fuel (aka premium) has a higher price tag. Thus, it's a toss-up whether the price difference justifies the MPG increase. Usually it does not. But if you're showing off to your friends how good your MPG is, then go for it.

>It's a shit car.
>Should've fixed the camry. It's a perfectly adequate car.
IF Taylor Swift shitted on the seats, then it's worth keeping.
Otherwise, a 180K car with multiple issues is better sold off to someone with the mechanic ability and tools to repair those.

the malibu is such a shitty car, dont even bother

The impala looks nice and would be comfy. It will also hold value better than a malibu

Get a European car or just walk. Everything else is trash.

We don't even know the issues. It's probably just wear items and OP is too much of a faggot to pay someone to fix it or attempt it yourself.

>Anything Veeky Forums would recommend to mod the car for kicks?
The OEM mudflaps from GM are $50 per pair. They do cut down a lot of the splash that gets on the side of the car. I have them on all four wheel wells.

However, more stuff for your car is not always better. For example, if you have the OEM mudflaps installed, they are hard plastic. Because they extend downwards past the metal bottom of the car, the reduced clearance to the ground means you can no longer drive the car over a small log or concrete parking block without the risk the object will hit the OEM plastic and rip it loose. That means any screws holding the flap would strip whatever they were screwed into. Similarly, if you drive off a sharp curb, it might impact the bottom of the OEM mudflap as well.

You might read past archived Veeky Forums threads on what to carry in a car besides a first aid kit such as:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/16642612/#q16642612

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/16125351/#q16125351

>IF Taylor Swift shitted on the seats, then it's worth keeping.
Finally something that most of Veeky Forums agrees with.

>the malibu is such a shitty car
In terms of new car issues the first year, the 2015 onwards malibu is doing very well compared to other cars.

People who hoon or redline a lot will affect any car though.

I drove a '15 Malibu that my work rented a while back. I was very pleasantly surprised. It was pretty fast, engine sounded great, comfy interior, quiet. I could definitely DD one.

As Malibu tires go, I have Continental ProContact 16-inch A/S tires on my 2016 Malibu. They grip the road great. I don't slide sideways like I do in the other car with Dunlop tires with AA traction rating when going around a street corner. They also have good grip when wet. As for noise, they seem okay and much quieter than the Dunlops. But I have little experience with other quiet tires. In a different thread, it was recommended to try Michelin Defender A/S as those handled like the Conti TrueContact but quieter. The True Contact is the successor tire to the ProContact.

>At first I thought Veeky Forums might know some horrible secret about Chevy I hadn't found out yet.
Chevy Malibu 2015 and 2016 Limited (non turbo) are nice solid values as cars go. Veeky Forums has some permanent chevy haters but there will always be americans that hate american cars or even hate america in general.

Older impalas get a 300hp v6 standard and you get to drive the car in intro of Drive. The only problem is that those cars tend to be used as fleet cars.

>cuc/k/ asking what boring commuters are good for him and his girlfriend

>As a bonus, girlfriend is also getting a car, same deal.
Who's selling the cars? A dealer, carmax, or a rental car agency such as Enterprise?

Looking for a new or

Ghosn is the king of cost cutting.

>Get a European car or just walk. Everything else is trash.
OP doesn't seem like he has "BMW Personality" that fits in with BMW ownership. So those are out.

Yeah, thanks for summing up the thread.

Dealer was, wet both went with our respective choices. Cars seem excellent, just hope they stay that way.

>BMW Personality
Nope, I know how to use turn signals.

They are comfy as all fuck, but apparently have some transmission issues, though those are likely from bad car owners more than anything. I almost got one.

---

Thanks everyone for the help, I'm loving the Malibu and my GF is really digging her Impala. Hopefully I'll be on Veeky Forums more often to become a better driver and car owner. Y'all rock.

Sincerely, a /k/ommando.

>I'm loving the Malibu and my GF is really digging her Impala
That's great. They are both reasonable solid cars as many owners in the dedicated malibu forums know.

you bought shit cars. please crash them and never come back.

You got triggered.
You need a better trigger guard.
OP is from /k/ so knows about trigger discipline.

>you bought shit cars. please crash them and never come back.
Go back to your basement.

>I asked for some help on getting a new car a few days ago
Hmmm, you two have bought the cars, so my input doesn't matter now. I would have said to run the VIN through at least two of those car database companies to check on the service records.

Of course, dealers typically don't report service records for used cars they are selling unless such reports benefit the dealer. They would not report things that make the car look like a lemon.

Nissan has been cost cutting the past 10 years. So they really became more of a copycat than a design leader due to cost cutting in R&D. But cost cutting also means things like the transmission became under-engineered.

Rented both. Impala was clearly better in every aspect.

>I commute one hour each way, every day, all on the highway, so I wanted something comfy and reliable.

The malibu is comfortable for that. And you don't have that fear of being killed like in a lightweight subcompact.

>BMW Personality
>Nope, I know how to use turn signals.
Ironically, my only dangerous driver experience today (monday) was with a BMW. I was turning left in the left turn signal lane. It's one of those extra wide intersections because one of the roads intersecting is actually offset by 50 feet. So that odd intersection is 50 feet wider than the usual.

As I was starting to turn left, the BMW passed me on my RIGHT. He then turned left and used his acceleration to get in front of me and cut me off. He had no turn signal. I don't know the model, but it had a somewhat wider back end (like porsche) with wide tires. And it surely had a lot more acceleration than my poor DD. That BMW driver sure had a lot of arrogance. Wasn't it spiderman that said with great horsepower comes great arrogance?

Saw the carfax, really clean on both, but good thinking!

>The malibu is comfortable for that.
Damn Skippy, I'm loving the car so far.

>Wasn't it spiderman that said with great horsepower comes great arrogance?
That was uncle Ben, close though.

>Wasn't it spiderman that said with great horsepower comes great arrogance?
Many people misquoted Spiderman. What he said in the movie was that "With a BMW, drivers have a responsibility to display great arrogance".