2 years ago decide to start automotive course in technical college

>2 years ago decide to start automotive course in technical college
>Finish
>just had interview at tire shop

Did I fuck up Veeky Forums?

Gotta start somewhere.

> 2 Years in automotive training
> Applied at a tire shop

I appiled everywhere from oil change/emission to diesel jobs.

The tire shop was just the first to call back.

>tire shop
pretty sure you can get that job with zero training my dude

like said, you can likely get that position with zero experience, however don't get discouraged because the work experience you are going to gain plus your training is going to make you more attractive to employers in the future.

>paying for automotive classes
I never payed a dime for an automotive course to get where I'm at. All it was, was Experience
Experience
Experience

Like a retail passenger tire shop or a commercial big rig/heavy equipment type joint?

Retail.

well i had no idea how lenient some places would be about having 0 experience because everyone pounds the you need college for everything meme into your head.

Fuck I havent seen this in a long time

>Did I fuck up Veeky Forums?
If it's a place like Costco then you can move sideways in that corporation. They do pay a living wage and benefits for their full time employees.

you gotta start somewhere OP. learn how the trade works and then learn what sort of skillset you need to move to where your heart lies.

>Did I fuck up Veeky Forums?
Some shops pay for additional cert training.
If your shop does after you first prove you can last 3 months, then that is good. Getting certs shows other employers you are able to keep advancing and have initiative.

Nothing wrong with taking that job in the meantime as something to put on your resume and get some spending money while you look for something better and more suited to your qualifications

i mean im in a fine arts university program so no you're going to make money unlike gay old me

No, keep moving up and working. Learn and network from your job. Its always a process and you must not stop/give up on yourself

Was it UTI?
Because UTI is criminal in that it teaches you nothing, charges you a fuckton for it, and no place will hire you.

West georgia

He's righr just got a job a a firestone very little experience

I applied to a kaufman tire and im really just worried about looking like a fucking retard if i do get the job.

I got a UTI once. Burned like a bitch everytime I took a leak.

What the fuck were you doing for 2 years? Did they teach you nothing?
Not that it matters, any mongoloid can change a tire.
When I went to school to be an auto tech employment in the industry was mandatory. So I literally had no knowledge or experience but I got through it and so will you. Just man up and don't be afraid to ask questions.

The class covered everything from electrical to A/C to transmission and engines. I do regret no seeking out maybe a part time job while there because I kinda freaking out now.

You mean the school helps you get employed part time while you take classes?

>techinical college
so itt tech

No, a technical college.
Not "technically college"

ITT Tech is not a real technical college. Technical colleges are similar to community colleges but have a lot of vocational training such as automobile repair. That is capital facility intensive. ITT Tech is not capital or facility intensive like a real vocational school.

>2 years of school
>tire shop job

gr8b8m8r88/8/

2 year degree?
What kind of diploma did you get?

Just an automotive technology diploma stating i completed this 2 year course.

I applied to a bunch of places though i was kinda hoping for a diesel job

>diesel

You are on the right track my fellow georgian. Amass a small tool collection while at your first tire/lube joint. Don't stick around there too long. 6 months to a year and you should be looking for greener pastures. By that time you should be able to go to a ta, loves, or other tire and lube truck joint. After a year or so there look for a dealership or fleet job. Truck fleet work is fucking gravy if you can find a good place to work for (lots of fleet employers are willing to pay good overtime especially in the agriculture field), but you won't get the kind of experience you would at a dealership.

The diesel industry generally pays hourly so don't fuck yourself by working for commission or flat rate.

I worked at a goodyear for 3 months out of school and then worked fleet at a cotton gin which was an awesome but not great paying job. After 3 years there I went to my current job which is a kw/mack dealership. I make roughly $50k/yr and have 3 days off every week. I've learned so much here but I'm really longing for another fleet job.

>Truck fleet work is fucking gravy

This is actually really good advice.

I worked at a Ford Stealership for 5 years, and hated it. Between shop politics, being flaterate (especially deep in the salt belt where you need the hot wrench on 3 year old cars) recalls and warranty work (that almost always pay shit) and all the other BS it was pretty bad.

Never thought I'd turn a wrench for a living again but I've been working for a small privately owned fleet (~25 trucks) and it's a such difference experience. Ya there's days you have to jam to get something back on the the road or go on a roadcall, but over all it's a much more laid back working environment. Pay is much better, and it's hourly. Only downside is everything is much bigger and heavier.

Damn user. Now im itching for that diesel even harder.

How was it when you first started? I mostly made this thread because I have a paranoia about taking a couple extra seconds to find the drain plug and getting laughed at. You have anything like that or is this just pre job jitters?

Like I said fleet work is pretty chill. My intro as a diesel tech was at a cotton gin as a "mechanic helper". I had a great mentor who was really patient with me and wanted to see me succeed. Starting any new job is a little unnerving, but with any common sense you should have the capability of succeeding. I mentioned ta and loves be a use they only do relatively minor service procedures and it will allow you to get your bearings in a relatively safe environment.

didn't go to college now started working at a detaling shop
currently getting trained on polishing, dent pulling, applying nano coating etc
get to drive sick cars like the new s63, x6m etc
its pretty nice

hey guys I was reading through the thread and you said that doing diesel work is easier than regular Mechanic shit, how do I get into this field? I was gonna go to a tech school to do Mechanic work (because I don't know the insides and out of an engine) and if it's better and easier to do diesel I'd rather go that route, any advice would be dope I have until April to turn in my application for school

I wouldn't say diesel is easier per se. It's a generally better paying route, but it will put more stress on your body. By in large trucks are designed to be more serviceable than passenger vehicles meaning you won't run into that one bolt you have to remove the passenger fender well to get to, but everything with diesels is bigger, heavier, and dirtier. You really want to have a decent amount of muscle mass in order to perform most jobs.

To give you an idea of what you will be working with the brake drums weigh close to 100 lbs. The clutch weighs 150-200 lbs. Cylinder heads can be 175-500 lbs. And many of these components will have to be removed by hand.

With the advent of diesel particulate filters you will get to enjoy using compressed air to blow soot directly into your lungs which personally is a favorite pastime of mine.

If you don't want to be physically exhausted after a day of work don't go into the diesel field.

well I mean it sounds like a good workout along with good pay I presume and huffing soot is like free drugs so why not