>GT86 has 200hp
>People complain that it's slow

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/kqhHPssCXMA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Sports_800
youtu.be/3ZbGdkyrAis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Welcome to Veeky Forums

Whats the weight difference again? Honda has been squeezing out 200hp engines since the 90s

it's slower than a fuckin yaris

>GT86 was literally built to be the spiritual successor to the AE86
It wasn't. Toyota just saw an opportunity to cash in on the publicity they got from Chinese cartoons. If anything, it was the spiritual successor to the RA63 or RA64 Celica.

This. We got fuckin v6 accords with almost 300hp nowadays. 130hp was the equivalent of around 275 today.

Only Veeky Forums complains it's "too slow". Even though they can't seem to get a FWD shitbox or a sub 200hp Subaru around a turn without almost going off a cliff or going sideways into a tree.

100% of 200hp is still faster than 25% of 500hp in the turns.

It's still a V6 accord

Lol no it isn't

T. Past Yaris owner

What is this meme. You get more efficient power when there are less gears, so ideally you'd want an FF layout with a transverse mounted engine to get "100% of the horsepower". Learn2car

EAT SHIT

>100% of 200hp is still faster than 25% of 500hp in the turns.

what is this autism

my 325hp car still corners faster than my 60hp car

its called throttle control. my car with power can actually pull out of the corner. it has wider tires and can enter the corner harder and can brake later and more effectively

my 60 hp hatch has better suspension geometry, is lighter, and has a lower center of gravity. it still will never be faster than my 300hp car anywhere outside of rough country roads where i can't use the power anyway. and its still slower even then

60hp is not 200hp my friend

see

Looks like a cheap pile of shit

think hes saying that driver skill is way more vital than hp

if that driver can go full throttle around corners in a toyobaru whats to say he cant go more than 25% throttle in a mustang gt350?

The GT86 weighs at least 250kg more. That's like having an ae86 and having it full with people. If you've ever driven a really light car (below 1000kg) you know how much difference that makes.

AE86 is slow too.
AE86 also in a decade where NOTHING had decent power.

>2,400 compared to 2,800 lbs
>130hp compared to 200hp

Or in developed world numbers, 138.06 PS/g compared to 159.41 PS/g. Comparing stock to stock, the AE86 has a superior power to weight ratio.

>implying people who wanted to go fast didn't upgrade their internals or swap to a beefier motor

Oh please.

>cartoon about how driving skill is more important than what car you drive
>even if you drive some shit tier corolla you can overcome this by using super secret advanced racing tecniques
>faggots think tagumi keps winning because of the ae86

hmmm

He only wins because he closes his headlights to go mach 5 speed due to aerodynamics. He's done this his whole career, yet Wings, who also had an 86, didn't figure it out, despite clearly saying "why is he turning his lights out?"

Have you seen a "Mustangs leaving car show" crash compilation?

Just because you play Gran Turismo with no traction control doesn't mean you can perfectly control a 500+hp RWD car in real life.

he only wins because the writer is a hack who wrote a dictionary example of a gary stu

while still being slow af

I thought that was Bunta. Initial D can be summarized in one of several ways.

>Takumi is able to catch up to faster car by closing his headlights
>Takumi can't catch up to the car, but the car happens to have some design flaw that contributes to its demise, like fucking leaves

I wish the show focused more on other characters, it's such a brilliant example otherwise. Fucking hell, maybe instead of Wings, who was barely talked about yet hyped up like he's god, he should've raced against Itsuki as the finale, the benchracer who eventually decided to git gud and deal with his 85.

I've seen 86s at the track schooling guys in wrx's and m6's. Heck, I think there's a few videos of guys in an frs wheeling in traditionally faster cars with an instructor sitting shotgun.

It's a fun car with some of the best steering feel short of a lotus, it's liveable, it has plenty of cargo room. It's fun to drive.

>it's fast around a track guys I s-swear
>there's videos but I didn't post any links because they aren't real
top kek, please stop trying so hard

They're fucking slow. Deal with it.

I believe you replied to the wrong person

>be the 80's
>nobody made forged internals for the 4age until the 90's outside of trd for race use in their own cars.

>engine swaps
>in the 80s
>no

>buy used toyobaru for $13k - $18k
>buy jackson racing supercharger for $4k
>injectors, headers, clutch, oil-cooler for custom dyno tune

youtu.be/kqhHPssCXMA this?

That's $25k for a car with no warranty, has to run premium minimum, and you just made it more nose heavy. And you still have to get rid of the Prius tires.

have you seen videos of toyobaru drivers spin out at autox events? lmao

>put some E85 in that shit ((& tune for it duh)) & you're approaching 400whp
definitely not

>FA20
>400whp

enjoy windowing your block

>needing e85 for 400whp

there's the problem.

>dude just slap a supercharger on a engine with 12:1 compression

The GT86 weighs 50% more.
I don't understand why people don't just buy Miatas.

>gt86 designed to be an affordable and comutable coupe with good handling
>HHUR WHY AINT IT FAST!!!???

I could just get a JZX100 for less with the same power and weight. Just tune, new turbo and strip the interior.
Oh wait Murrica can't obtain them yet

i'll admit, E85 & a supercharger on a toyobaru is a bit excessive, the ~300whp you get from a supercharger & some bolt ons + a tune is more than enough to have a good time. BUT, it's still an option if you want more power.

400whp with E85 would definitely be pushing the reliability to its limits, you probably wouldn't be having a good time being worried about blowing the engine all the time.

jackson racing's supercharger gives you about 8psi maximum at redline, & about 12psi with the upgraded pulley. yeah, you have some additional failure points but i believe there's a warranty on the supercharger & it's not nearly enough boost to fuck your shit up that prematurely (unless you don't have supporting mods/if your tune is fucked).

Yfw swapping in a 20 year old 2jz with stock turbos puts out more power.

How Toyota has fallen.

A straight horsepower comparison across eras is almost always misleading, thanks to a little thing we automotive aficionados call "curb weight."

Or better yet
>buy junkyard ls
>get a couple of buddies and swap it over the weekend

you'll have more power and you'll get rid of the shit tier subaru engine

e z p z

>corolla with good power to weight and good reliable engine
>vs
>sports car with shit power to weight and shit unreliable engine
what the fuck was toyota thinking?

Why stop there. You know the old supra will pull more lateral G's right?

Give a supra a set of toyo proxes or ad08r's and it will pull over 1.2G's in corners. Most people have no idea how good they actually handle.

It gets even funnier when you consider a NA supra is faster than the 86 in a straight line.

You can literally buy a NA supra for 10k here in aus, spend another 10k on mods to make it handle really fucking good and you'll still come out spending less money than a 86.

Reason i'm posting this is because i see cunts claiming it's the "spiritual successor to the supra" which is fucking garbage, a NA supra is better in every fucking way despite being heavier. Superior chassis rigidity, superior suspension geometry and more torque low down.

And the funniest thing? For the price of a 86 you can get a turbo supra, which will spank the living fuck out of it.

teaming up with subaru was a mistake

it was probably a good idea on paper, i just can't believe they actually sold the car with that piece of shit in it
>look at these dyno results fong the engine is performing like shit right in the middle of the rev band
>ting tong bing bong we cant redesign it xd sell it anyway

kek! I'm dead!

>>injectors, headers, clutch, oil-cooler for

Except for the fact that the people building the car drove the AE86 in order to capture that driving feel.

>Drinking the marketing koolaid
I bet you think the 86mm bore and stroke were selected as a homage to the AE86's chassis code, too.

You're beyond retarded. It's NOT the spiritual successor to the Supra. How fucking dumb are you? It's the spiritual successor to the AE86.

>onlydrivesinstraightlines

It's not marketing retard. No, they were not selected from the AE86 chassis code. Rather selected from the NAME OF THE CAR ITSELF, TOYOTA 86 86 86 86 86 86 86 86 86 86 86 86 86 86 86.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that a square 2000cc 4-cylinder engine would be 86.025x86.025mm

Some of you guys need to actually go out and drive it. It really is as slow as the memes say

Most modern successor cars end up bulkier and heavier so even if they have more power they don't feel sporty in the same way anymore. Good example is the Golf GTI

I don't think you understand that that the engine had to be proportioned correctly just to get that 86mm.

How many other NA 2.0Ls in production make 200hp?

I can't think of any.

Ting tong Bing bong

>proportioned correctly

yeah like 86mm bore x 86mm stroke. its a square 2.0l 4 cyl

>hurr
>durr

>assmad toyobaru owner assmad btfo

If the 86 is so shit why did it beat all the other hardtops in motortrends latest comparison? It only lost to 2 seater verts. One of them was 92k.

The 86 is not the godmachine that o wanted, but that doesn't mean it's shit.

>toyobarufags will defend this

nope
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Sports_800

also needs new half shafts lay shaft

After going to autocross a few times, it was usually the Gt86s that did consistently well. Mustangs were generally spinning out a lot.

I also learned that people spend way too much on civics.

>geometric compression = thermodynamic compression

The variable timing on cars today can do a lot avoid high pressures on compression.

They hinted at the imprezza being something important but they never really did anything in it.
>final race
>dagumi in the 86 with the good engine
vs
>BUNTA IN THE IMPREZZA

OH FUCK

check this out it's slower than a Veloster
youtu.be/3ZbGdkyrAis

Well the veloster makes 210hp stock for the Turbo model

>AE86 also in a decade where NOTHING had decent power.

This.
AE86 was released in 1983, it had 130hp.
Top supercars released in 83 were:
>1983 Ferrari 308GTBi Quattrovalvole
which had a staggering 230hp
>1983 Porsche 928S
with it's legendary and monstrous 236hp

Even at the end of decade, the fastest supercars rarely broke 350hp

Now GT86 has 200hp, but supercars are creeping on 1000, or some are past that.
You can get sports sedan with 500hp

notice the diffirence?

Daily reminder; the GT86 haa set a new benchmark for slow.

>that poor C5 at 8:40

>the American obsession with horsepower because all their enthusiast driving on public roads consists of pulling away from traffic lights

Top supercars in 83 had around 350hp.

At the end of decade, the fastest supercars broke 450hp.

In relation to the average car in most of the world the 86 doesn't have much less power than the Corolla Twincam did.

S N A P O V E R S T E E R L E A F

>the european obsession with excuses because their entire idea of car culture revolves around a $2000 budget from the time theyre 16 to the time theyre 35

Whut? The 1978 BMW M1 had 277 hp and the 1984 BMW E28 M5 4 door saloon had 307 horsepower and those weren't even the most powerful production cars during the period.

Because Motor Trend is biased and bribed shit

if youre going to be painfully slow you can at least look good while youre going slow in an old car from the 60s-80s

The 86 doesnt accomplish that either. it looks like garbage

The 86 is not ugly, holy shit the hate for this car is unbelievable

Kek, €2k wouldn't even get you car insurance here.

It's just a meme at this stage, albeit a shitty one.

The new 86 looks like shit. The original GT86 is beautiful.

Welcome to the world of online car "enthusiasts"
>hurrr modern cars are too powerful to enjoy on the roads
>can't drive them hard without endangering everyone
>too isolated
>too much tyre, can't do mad skidz
>want a car that is fun, not stupidly fast point to point

Toyota release a car that is plenty quick enough for road use with skinny tyers that you can rag everywhere and not kill yourself in and is cheap
>hurrr its slow
>[insert normal car here] is faster whats the fucking point
>needs 500bhp to be fun
>Toyota are retards

In short, people love to complain about cars they have probably never even sat in.

people should be happy that based toyota has blessed us with an affordable sporty reliable rwd coupe

The GT86 looks like a really fun car, and I would love to own one. I don't really want to try and build up something that is well beyond my driving skill anyway. I just enjoy cars that are relatively affordable, relatively reliable, and fun to drive. Toyota seems to have done super well in that respect with the 86.

I would gladly turn my AW11 into a weekend car and daily this instead. Makes me kinda sad to see so many people so ready to hate on good engineering and fun-spirited cars that Toyota puts out, just because it's not a dyno beast out of the box.

>>hurrr modern cars are too powerful to enjoy on the roads
>>can't drive them hard without endangering everyone
>>too isolated
>>too much tyre, can't do mad skidz
>>want a car that is fun, not stupidly fast point to point
No these are things that GTBRZ fags say to justify their overpriced slow piece of shit

It has been a recurring theme on car forums for a long time. Especially when the E60 M5 would take you to driving ban speeds at the top of 3rd so couldn't be exploited on public roads without the risk of serious consequences, then the F10 came out and was even faster and even more accessible. The whole German power race with RS Audis, M BMWs, and AMG Mercs drew a lot of criticism and people were wanting fun cars that could be driven hard that wouldn't take you to stupid speeds in seconds. Why do you think so many people fawn over MX5s and MR2s?

Hell, I bet most v8 muscle cars can hit 60mph in first gear. Where is the fun in that?

Sure they set good lap times, but you will never be able to push the car to the limit on public roads unless you want to risk getting a felony.

You can drive the 86 to the limit on a daily basis.

Let's not forget that the Japanese market AE86 GT weighed 2,006 lbs.

>still doesn't understand that the entire engine block has to be proportioned correctly to get the 86mm
It just doesn't "happen". That had to proportion it correctly. You can have a square engine that's 50x50. Square doesn't automatically mean 86x86. Stop spreading your autism.