/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

ded edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/13EkrFt2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The threads are dying.

The update is nowhere in sight.

Has the long winter of the before-times come upon us again?

/dfg/ has died. I feel nothing.

third for elv

Like the forgotten beasts it's our cue to sink back into the earth and slumber while lesser generals frolick above

Is the rapist up to date with the current version?
Any idea when the next update will come?

No. Never.
Use dwarf manipulator through the current dfhack alpha.

Bored full plate parkour dorfs.

>dwarf manipulator
I guess it's better than managing several dozen dwarves through the vanilla UI

Also better than rapist faggotry.

Thanks! Its all from imagination, but heavily inspired by the Gothic era and general high middle ages.

>dat dwarf waifu
You da best, Drew.

I'm thinking of starting my own multi-generation fort, never done it before, usually fuck the pooch after a couple decades or sooner. Even after 12 years the FPS can become unbearable like on my current large fort.

How long do your forts usually last? How long was the longest? (For modern bloatfort) how do you keep yourself occupied for so long?

When the fuck are they releasing a non beta version of DFHack for 0.43.05 64bit?

When enough people use the alpha and they are sure nothing else is broken enough to call it an official release?

You'll never notice it isn't a full release once you disable the pre-release warning.

Cold Sleepy Day wut.

Why is Keep Man so amusing?

Reminder that this is a dfhack thing now: pastebin.com/13EkrFt2

So this means you can have a map thing point you to quests?

Means you can point to the location on the //quest// log map and tele//port// there.

Seems a bit cheaty, but that's neat still.

Eh, I can walk across a world, and have, I know how to move myself around with gm-editor in travel mode but it's a matter of figuring out where this is:
x: 11385
y: 8932
z: 0

...and if this is where you want:
x: 5600
y: 2300
z: 0

It's handy but it's a fiddly pain, mostly just use it to hop rivers.

Being able to do it with the quest map is handy, call it an enchanted map you got from a wizard if you want, who are you cheating against?

fair enough

It's damn handy and really not even remotely cheaty in the situation when you unretire and all the map is black again, you can port around and reveal it again quickly without having to guess at coordinates.

Oh I primarily rely on legendsviewer to plan out my adventures. I barely rely on the in-game map.

Well, this makes it much handier than it was.

Hell I'll probably end up whipping up a Gate script to bundle with the KSBD mod to port you around to certain locations in the world with the relevant payment.

Is there any game like DF for Android?

>tfw I refuse to make worlds any younger than 800 years because I want my dragons to be full-size.

Fucking 1000 year growth rate. At least they start at like 200 years old.

Long history VS decent FPS

Luckily I'm an adventure mode only kinda guy so I barely feel FPS loss unless I'm in very specific situations.

Just mod the growth rate?

I tried to find it but couldn't. Well at least I know its a thing now. I'll probably find it in the next comb-over.

Has toady added a way to check size and sexual orientation yet? or is it still a rapist thing?

he is a true Blockhead

Speaking of modding, took me a while to realize tissue pain was defined in the raws. Fucking pansy ass dwarves fainting after having their hands smashed by a hammer.

So, what is needed to create a new race? I want to try to make orcs but not sure how to start besides copying and renaming goblins

I found a random pool of dwarven ale in the bottom of a cave, in the first cavern layer. I stepped in it and then drank it off my boot. And now I'm dizzy and my lung function is slightly impaired. I drank a lot of giant blood before this. I also just fought I giant olm, but he didn't land any hits on me. What's causing this? Giant olm poison? Dwarven ale contaminated by cave moss?

Also I'm wearing a giant olm bone ring that I just made. Could the bone be poisoning me?

Oh maybe it was just alcohol poisoning.

>I'm an adventure mode only kinda guy

You heard me my dude

Stop playing dorf

I play elv instead because they can be CUTE!

anyone play DF on Linux?
I've just been using wine to run it on OpenSUSE because its easier than the convoluted wank you need to do otherwise.

been thinking of replacing it with Ubuntu recently though because it has far more tech support info online than SUSE does and soon my linux machine will be my only computer for a while at least and I need it to be reliable.

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:6000]
[BODY_SIZE:1000:0:25000000]
Make it like BODY_SIZE:200 or something and they'll be full grown at 200.

Wait, SUSE isn't THAT different as to not have a local version of df available, I mean, arch has a native version, and incidentally I highly recommend checking arch, the wiki is goddamn informative and though the boards are a bit assholish seeming it's partially because of "the arch way" which is basically "read the fucking manual" so they tend to cover damn near everything in anything that makes it to the official version (which is a rolling release) and usually any of the Arch User Repo (or aur) packages will be well documented too.

All right, got it.

Derped, meant this to reply to you: but I was jerking off to Arch instead. The only time my shit breaks is when I break it doing stupid shit and I've gotten good at fixing it when that happens, to the point of rebuilding my install completely from a command line back to my KDEfaggotry.

SUSE had so much stuff mixed in with the .rpm stuff from Fedora, I recall a local SUSE type of package management, and something else.

well I'm moving to SE Asia to work and want something very stable that I can easily fit if needed.
Arch is nice and I've used it before but its too much effort for my main work computer.

>embark next to volcano
>build floor out to the middle of it
>place caged cat on floor
>cave the floor in
>cat dies, doesn't reveal anything as his corpse travels down

Did toady fix this? It used to reveal the magma sea and some adamantine as the cat would stay alive. Can you kill things that are caged now?

This is some dwarfy shit I'll tell ya what

I think the cave-in might have screwed it up?

Well, a -buntu spin might work then, last one I messed with was actually Mint for the in-laws on their computer since they are from the "if it doesn't look like windows xp I'm lost" era, and Mint has some convenient xp style themes/setups so I could wean them away from shitbox decade old OSes.

I've used mint before and might go back to it because I liked Cinnamon more than Unity.

once I can ship my desktop over I'll be able to play around with less stable distros

Should I make quantum stockpiles or are they cheating?

Saving FPS by reducing item calculations in this day and age is no more a cheat than smashing garbage or dumping it into the magma sea is.

I play DF on linux. Playing it though Wine is fucking retarded. It runs with a single command on the Linux version

A dumbass dwarf climbed on top of a wall and can't get back down, now he's wasting away. what do?

Upon further inspection, that is my dumbass mayor that got himself stranded .

What distro?

It plays on Arch, it shouldn't be too hard to get it running anywhere except like... Gentoo?

Point
Laugh
Appoint a new mayor

He can totally climb down, he's just pouting.

>captain of my crossbow squad scouts out a kobold thief
>instantly lets loose a bolt
>severs his hand

poetry.

>reacher
>can't reach you

Well, there isn't nearly enough info on Servant races sadly so I went with trying to get them in a somewhat functional format, still gotta flesh out the whole "good at certain jobs" stuff, but right now I'm going with:

Goblins: not as goblin-like as you'd think if you were expecting df goblins, pretty sure they've got 4 eyes, will be the most common since they're everydamnwhere.
Kind People: the four-legged dudes with the broad heads and four eyes, Mammon is one.
Trolls: the big long-haired dudes you see in the background from place to place seemed trollish enough so I went with them.
Rootless: no clue at all, but the kinda mantis-like people are servants so I made these into a sorta mantis-person conversion for now. I'll work on getting the tasks/specialty stuff flesh out as I get the entities worked in more, but now is time for rest after all the research and fiddling around looking for that glorious moment when you load the arena and the errorlog.txt stays empty.

Naturally I'll need a fallback setup for the sense-creature icons for folks who don't want to use the tileset, but for now it's the 5 demon masks on the top, with demiurges on the right, un angel towards the lower middle, a master of cutting (and thus royalty) with her key lower left-ish, male/female humans (warm black flame=black smiley), and the four servant races (cool white flame=white smiley) above them.

>we arabian fort now

He did climb down after a while. Not before being driven to hunt for small creatures though.

Fucking Rumrusher.

I wanted to be able to jump around like a ninjer weaboo faggit and started working on turning propel into launch, Rum added a way to fling people you are wrestling with, hilarious stuff.

Then they made a telekinesis version to fling items, but you gotta tab over to the terminal instead of using a hotkey, neither of us could figure that out, so they found a way to kinda kick an item out from under you towards the cursor.

Works on minecarts too, but it might end up leading to some sort of eldritch horrors noticing due to the weird way it fucks with the universe itself.

>Hello me, always a pleasure to speak with you again.
>Ah, and how are you today, me?
>I'm ok, though I'm about to end up bashing us into a wall.
>Oh dear, that's awful.
>Yes, terribly sorry about this.
>Well, talk to you again later!

this post is trippy as fuck

So is noticing you are following yourself, and then being unable to figure out which you is you without actually checking which one gets the look cursor when you hit the key, or wiping out and trying to go catch your cart only to... almost hit yourself as you slide along the ground while walking at the same time?

>cathedral man
>keep man
>bell man
>twat!

Brilliant Drew, don't know why you did any of those, but brilliant.

>ruhroh raggy, the ruzz!
>like whoa Scoob, I think the fuzz might be us!
>rhoa...

If I make a hole from my river to the caverns will it drain at the edge or flood the entire thing?

If the edge has a tile a unit could enter/leave through it'll drain there, you can also smooth and carve a fortification into a wall to drain off the edge of the map.

What the fuck

nice. bery nice

thanks

What the fuck indeed.

At one point in the water there were two of me following me, but you couldn't see it well since they were all blue.

>kea stole [ARTIFACT]

>df 2026
>be necromancer in tower
>keaman sends his kea friends to steal your necro book
>keaman is now necromancer

fucking dorfs
when will they learn

>Toady in charge of AI

Was there booze/a water area?

Played DF for years now, always aching to get back but I get bored after three or four years. How do I start enjoying the game again?

>want to dorf
>cand dofr

eeeeeeeeryy tieeem D:

>DF 2026
>procedurally genned secrets
>complete a quest for your god
>gifted a slab
>You have learned the secrets of flight and theft!
>become Urist McShitbird, Keamancer

That thing you do in the game that is boring? Do something else.

Mega Projects. Adamantine Industry.
Increasingly elaborate death traps for useless, FPS-eating dorfs.

Dear /dfg/,

today i learned that bridges are a cheap and effective alternative to floors if one is building high walls.
I also learned that maybe i should have more than one architect on duty while i watched several stuck dwarves starve because i'm too lazy to build and unbuild staircases for them all.

>wants dorf
>actually doesn't want dorf
hmm, thought provoking

I forgot that I had pulled those levers. At least the bugbats left.

>bloodstone
>can't feed vampires

Give me some ideas on how to design a minecart meatgrinder which my dwarves can ride while shooting bolts and swinging axes. I need to blast some eurobeat while goblins get styled on.

>diorite
>can't stop time

www.isthatajojoreference.com

4/10

made me get-the-reference, but didn't make me laugh

>167416198
>167417647
I-it's not like I was trying my b-best or anything, you bakas.

>not even giving (You)s for the honest critique
Put the (You)s in the bag, Urist-senpai.

It's ok friend, I'll (You) you :)

>want to make a monster hunter mod
>too lazy to play monster hunter and learn about the monsters

Make some other mod instead.
>tfw you'll never get a strange mood and make a useless mod