Would you consider owning a convertible? They seem pretty neat, but I'm wondering what the downsides are

Would you consider owning a convertible? They seem pretty neat, but I'm wondering what the downsides are.

I own three, and several of my family members own one as well. The only real drawback is that the tops and window seals don't last forever and you'll have to change them out every 10-15 years if you don't want water inside. Sooner if you don't have a garage or carport to park in.

>leave iphone in door pocket, laptop on backseat, dslr camera in the footwell, expensive sunglasses on sun visor.
>negro cuts through roof to steal the 13 cents in the cup holder

A -1% decrease in performance compared to the coupe variant usually due to chassis flex and added weight. (A difference that will almost never matter unless you're taking the vehicle 98%+ of its limits.) Otherwise, it's a personal/aesthetic preference

owned 2, one soft top and one folding hard top. soft top is noisier but the folding hard top is still a bit more noisy than a fixed roof coupe.

to me the folding hard top is the best of both worlds but Veeky Forums doesn't really seem to like them

Was it made to be a convertible? (Miata, Z3, Boxster, S2K etc.): carry on.
Based on a coupe/sedan: tons of weight will be added and the handling will be sloppy

wind noise mostly

>iPhone
Doing you a favor, honestly.

you look like a fagget.

Well if he actually stole it

I own one now and I fucking hate it, every time I drive in the rain and it drips through the weather seal I think about how amazing it would be to drive a car with a real roof. You want open air? Buy a motorcycle.

Maybe a rigid hard top. Folding hard top as well as soft tops are simply too fragile and failure prone. Preferably a targa though, the roofs of those actually fit somewhere in the car instead of having to leave them at home.

>Would you consider owning a convertible?
Depends.
In general no. My sister used to be an EMT and forever scared me away from convertibles when she told me about the first call she went on. Long story short, a 5.0 Fox Mustang convertible had wrecked, and the driver decapitated. Guess who tripped over his head while looking for it?

So yea. I tend to avoid convertibles like the plague. The convertible cars I will consider can generally be counted on 1 hand and are exceptions for one reason or another

What is the best roof option, and why is it targa?

The only convertibles I would ever consider would be cars that were originally designed that way
Good examples are the s2k, miata and mr2.

>cut half of dick off
>install half a vagina
Perfect!

T-top fags will ramble on about muh rigidity, but the bar is ugly and was introduced because of crash safety legislation to begin with, which makes it a cuck feature.

>implying traps aren't the best

>but I'm wondering what the downsides are
That Ferrari weighs 4000 lbs

3,200 lbs wet.

A moonroof is good enough for me.

Convertibles are lighter when they're designed to be convertibles.

""wrong""

I erroneously thought you meant the Ferrari I posted. My bad.

>designed as a convertible
>2 tons with a driver in the seat

step it up

They're also lighter when you cut out all the shitty half-assed OEM bracing and then cage it like you would have done to a coupe anyway. Makes fabricating the cage way easier, too.

Jesus fucking christ

Okay.

The rolls doesnt even pretend to be a performance oriented car though.
Its self-masturbatory luxury

Saab 900 convertible owner. Had a friend that rolled his. he was fine. I have pretty much stopped driving my triumph tr-6 until my kids are older as i will most likely have my head cut off if i hit anything larger than a squirrel.

Cutting the roof off a performance car seems like a bad idea to me. its a compromise, If it was designed from the start to be a convertible, like an mx-5 or boxster that is a different story, but when i see a 911 convertible, it makes me sad.

>those wheels

What in g-ds name were they thinking?

>Z3
is a chopped up e36 with an e30 rear suspension. z4 is ground up vert.

Big, shiny, chrome.

Roofs aren't as safe as you think they are on cars more than ten years old. I know a girl who flipped her 90s Volvo wagon. She'd be around 3 inches shorter now than she was before, if she could stand.

when a teenager stabs your softtop and drags a foot long cut into it

granted but it's still safer than rolling a convertible.

My first car was a soft top Jeep Wrangler. I loved driving it with the top down. It was down almost every single day from March to November. I wish I still had it. Not a very practical car though

>t the downsides are
>niggers
>tears
>reapairs
>rain
>sun
>elements
>other retards throwing shit at you in a fit of road rage.
>those niggers that thow shit out their windows or trah out without looking

>road rocks
>bird shit

I used to have one. Hated it in the winter couldn't see shit out the back. Took to long to put up or down too. Outside that was ok.

>tears
>reapairs
>rain
>sun
>elements
I never had trouble with these.
>road rocks
What?

learn to fucking spell and use "t." properly, you illiterate ass

>couldn't see shit out the back
I don't remember that at all
>Took to long to put up or down too
Yeah it would take like 10 minutes to put up the top if you were putting in the windows too

Only supercars look good in convertible form.
Ragtops are limited in top speed with the top up.

>Roll over and weight of car crushes your head

Well there's that

>Would you consider owning a convertible?
Yeah, but i'll tell you what type of convertible I wouldn't own.

This.

If that was single cab I'd be all over it

I assumed otherwise since it was its own model but you might be right. That said the Z4 is pigfat and numb, would not buy.

Hmm. A single-cab pickup convertible don't sound too bad actually.

I seriously considered an MR2 Spyder but I street park in a shitty part of town, it would have gotten slashed within weeks.

>Ragtops are limited in top speed with the top up.
Sure, to like 200 MPH. I'm guessing that's not an issue for literally anyone on Veeky Forums.

>not posting the superior convertible pickup

ultimate vert coming through

Getting flipped.

I had a Z4 for a year whilst I recovered from ankle surgery. It was American made, so it was a huge bag of shit.

Reasons:
>Automatic gearbox was atrocious - the only speed it could vaguely cruise at was 55mph which is pointless for Europe
>The rear suspension linkage design was so poor that it failed by 20,000 miles
>The electrical switching was worse than an Italian car in quality.
>Wiring was poor - the airbag light would come on for no reason whatsoever.
>the drainage channels were so poorly designed that water would go into the motor compartment, eventually drowning the motor in a bath of water. Replacement of the motor meant a full roof removal.
>Run flat tyres were of such poor quality that they always popped/pinched every six months.

I had the car from 6,000 to 25,000 miles and I was appalled.

Only positives I have for it was that it looked nice and the roof automatically opened and closed quickly.

If I only would drive it in the summer/fall? Yes.
If it was my daily, no.

I live in Maine. Snow is a convertibles worst friend.

My father's car has a removable hard top (it was an optional feature), and a soft top that complete detaches and can be stored in the trunk, he has had the car for coming up on 8 years soon and has never had either leak.
>Bonus points: try and guess the car

The worst part of a convertible is the rollover protection.

The best part is the fun.

I don't know about convertibles. I would say they're not the responsible choice, but also they're not bad either.

Nah. I drive a car because it has a roof. If I want to be in the open air and get hit by bugs, I'll ride a motorbike instead.
If I want to be out in the open air without protective gear and a full helmet, I'll cycle.

Weight.

No. I actually hate convertibles.

No car looks better as a convertible than as a fixed roof car. They're heavier and flexier (depends on the car but the difference can range from small to absolutely disgusting). I have a motorcycle if I want to experience open air.

>and a soft top that complete detaches
Clearly a piece of shit then. Otherwise I would've guessed Benz R129.

i've had 2 roadsters in the past 4 years

Loved em, but as much as i hate to admit i didn't do that much topdown driving because its always either too hot or raining.

I only ever drive with the top down at dawn or early in the morning

which is fuckin' great.

I get very paranoid when i take the hardtop off my car in the summer though. Afraid of someone slashing my top and trying to steal my ugly, aux-less oem radio.