Marco polo knew it kung fu

>marco polo knew it kung fu
what

is this true ?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_among_the_Mongols
aelarsen.wordpress.com/2015/02/05/marco-polo-a-clash-of-cultures/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It never comes up in any of Polo's works. But, sure, he was part of the Khan's court and if he wanted to handle himself well he might learn the ways of kung fu. Many European whites did so when they lived abroad in the Far East.

No but that series is GOAT, basically Rome in the East

Its a fictional historical story.

Just don't take the series as literal interpretation of how things really went.

I mean seriously. A Christian Crusader army in Mongolia when they haven't take the holy land back.

Still as fiction its pretty decent story.

I have never seen a show more offensive to history. When Kublai cut Ariq's head off I almost dropped it.

>an Italian enters the court of a Mongol Khan
>they are immediately able to speak perfect english to each other
what the h*ck

>Many European whites did so when they lived abroad in the Far East.
I thought the Chinese discriminated and refused to teach whites because they were so much taller and better built than race-eating peasants.

Technically they are speaking Chinese or what the fuck ever.

Its just it would upset a mainstream English audience to read subtitles.

>christian crusader army in mongolia

Lulz. I can see a pseudo nestorian prester john type situation, but this whole let's put crusaders in every historical era/locale is just plain retarded. Especially since they don't care about the subjective nuances of the crusade era, just using it as a pedagogical dead horse beating device.

To be fair, there were Christian Mongols

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_among_the_Mongols

But a European Crusader army is a bit too much. I kept watching though. Better than most shit they have on Netflix.

I just pretend its an alternative fictional timeline.

Repeat this to yourself "IT'S JUST A SHOW, MEANT FOR ENTERTAINMENT" until your delusion passes.

calm down and take your drugs nigger

If you pay close attention, you'll notice his "english" actually improves over time.

It's a nice touch.

I actually really enjoyed that the one mailed knight didn't give two shits about sword blows.

Didn't like that they had to make him slow and clumsy,

>If you pay close attention, you'll notice his "english" actually improves over time.

That's because the actor is an actual Italian who started learning English just after he was cast.

aelarsen.wordpress.com/2015/02/05/marco-polo-a-clash-of-cultures/

This entire show is historically inaccurate in various ways. From the costumes, to etiquette, and they even made a fucking black Maori dude play a Mongol.

Just stop taking everything in the show seriously.

>and they even made a fucking black Maori dude play a Mongol.
his mother was javanese or something in the show, if you're talking about kublais bastard

>his mother was javanese or something in the show

That still doesn't make much sense.

He's not that black, it looks conceivable that he's somewhere between mongol and javanese

When he stands next to one of the actual Asian members of the cast such as Benedict Wong or Claudia Kim, he may as well be a fucking Martian.

They really couldn't find an Asian or even half-Asian to play this character? I find that hard to believe.

Is the giant court of Kublai Khan accurate with him surrounding himself with europeans and people from central asia? I found that part neat, this half hostage situation where you can live in luxury in his city, yet you could be killed any second since you were essentially his slave. Any of this true?

>Is the giant court of Kublai Khan accurate with him surrounding himself with europeans and people from central asia?

Not Europe.

Not many Europeans actually made it to China, hence why Marco Polo's accounts are treated like such a prize and exotic item.

Central Asians, yes, there were a lot of Central Asians in the court of the Yuan. But many of them look similar to Mongols. Also there should be quite a number of Han Chinese in the court of Kublai, as well as Hanicized Jurchens/Khitans.

But they are surprisingly absent.

what about people from the middle east? Did they just leave them alone after Genghis sacked most of Iraq or were they incorporated into the empire with emissaries living in his court and such?

There were a few Persians and Arabs in his court, but not as much as depicted on this show.

Just pretend the title is Genghis and pretend Marco doesn't exist.

Prester John is literally the foreshadowed antagonist of season 3.

A happa wouldn't have the intended look and good biracial actors are even rarer than minority actors, because at least minority actors get jobs playing stereotypes.

Hostage guests were pretty normal back then.

>A happa wouldn't have the intended look and good biracial actors are even rarer than minority actors, because at least minority actors get jobs playing stereotypes.

The guy who plays Jinggim is hapa though and he looks close enough to Central Asian

>Its just it would upset a mainstream English audience to read subtitles.

But Narcos is 90% in spanish

But Jingim is supposed to look Mongolian/Han, not half Javanese. Yes, I know he's full Mongolian, but he's supposed to look a pampered Han Chinese princeling.

The other guy is supposed to look distinctly half exotic foreigner of some sort, like a bastard. He's definitely not supposed to look European, Chinese or Central Asian. The direction meant for him to be visually distinct and different from the other sons.

That only proves a happa would have been a miscast. Half-Asian isn't the right qualification for the role.

Did you notice that the US population where Narcos's intended audience is has a huge as fuck Spanish-speaking population?

Unlikely...

Also if you are curious the real Hundred Eyes A.K.A Bayan of the Baarin wasn't a chinese monk nor a kung fu master. He was a mongol (or possibly Turk) who was a general in Kublai's army. The name hundred eyes itself might've been a mistranslation by Marco Polo.

Pretend the title is Kublai and acknowledge Marco as the side character

So we are getting a bunch of evil fanatic Christian for next season assuming it will be made? Really... why they can't stick more to Kublai and his court history?

>Really... why they can't stick more to Kublai and his court history?

Because not enough white people for Hollywood.

Former American Latino here. The Spanish soap opera market was hypersaturated with Narco/Pablo Escobar shit for something like a decade until 2010 or so when the meme wore itself out and mostly died off. Now my relatives and friends in the USA see Narcos as a sort of introduction to the genre for Americans. It's very Americanized, I watched an episode and while a lot is well done some characters have accents that clearly don't match their nationality so that triggered my autism quite a bit (Mexicans playing Colombians, Chileans etc.). Definitely made for Anglo Americans.

>(Mexicans playing Colombians, Chileans etc.)

What's wrong with that...I mean the southern Latinos sound gay as fuck and that's not gangsta

I don't think it was meant to show the knight as slow and clumsy, but another attempt at showing 100 eyes' kung fu magic bullshit being faster than anyone can react too. I don't know why they have all this Crouching Tiger shit in the show when they literally released a sequel to that (with the same fucking actress) only months before.

>Prester John is literally the foreshadowed antagonist of season 3.
could be a fun plot to have him be in charge of some nestorian cult who are gaining influence in the city or something like that

There's over a billion asians that could play mongol leader, yet they chose a black.

What the fuck

>B-b-but history is waycist!
>W-w-we can't perpetuate that!!

Was Prestor John a white guy though? Isn't he supposed to be a mythical Asian Christian king?

Or could make it a straight out fantasy show. From what we see in S2, it's possible 'Prester John' might or might not has some sort of magical power.

Basically Game of Thrones in 13th century Asia. Lots of sex, not so much violent, decent production value.

It's a good way to introduce history of Mongol empire in entertaining way, but anything else it contains must be taken with a grain of salt. (Read: fiction)

>Muh SJW conspiracy!

That series is shit.
I really wanted it to be good.
I really love china.

>crusaders in mongolia

Seriously? I stopped watching it very early.

But this is different.

Spanish is not an alien language to the average american. They know it exists. They know that there is a huge population in their country that speaks. It is a very important issue in this election. Spanish is part of the USA.

Whereas Chinese is not even closely related to English.

Sad story senpai :(

Have you watched the three kingdom series (2010 version)? Production value is obviously cheaper, but better-ish story IMO.

The Chinese one?
I know it exists. But I didn't watch it.

>some characters have accents that clearly don't match their nationality so that triggered my autism quite a bit (Mexicans playing Colombians, Chileans etc.). Definitely made for Anglo Americans.

How is Wagner Moura doing? I remember in an interview he said it was tough to get the accent since he was Argentinian.

he is brasilian.

I like him tho.

Oh fuck I fucked up with the name I don't even know how. But yes, the point was pretend it's not about Marco and focus on Benedict Wong.