Is sufism just a very well disguised branch of buddhism?

Is sufism just a very well disguised branch of buddhism?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahab_al-Din_Yahya_ibn_Habash_Suhrawardi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samanid_Empire
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fundamentally incompatible.

No they aren't.

Dude worship God

Vs

Don't worship God, free yourself

Jesus "turn the other cheek, love your enemy" christ was also buddhist
Compare him to the "i'll fuck up your cities bevause you are having too much sex and i very much like floods" god of the old testament

Jesus said alot of things the buddha said, but just touched it up with god, the father and all this extra stuff to appeal to the middle east and jews.

>this is the state of Veeky Forums

Welp, I'll check back in another year on.

what the fuck

They are. If you said that Sufism is a very well disguised branch of Hinduism, you might be onto something.

It's a well disguised branch of Zumba.

Isn't Jesus supposed to come back and conquer the world in ISIS style at the end of the world?

I'd say it has more in common with Hinduism than Buddhism

It's Islamic Neoplatonism.

>Is sufism just a very well disguised branch of buddhism?
Sufism is not a separate branch of Islam tard. Sufis are either sunni or shia and they spend their life dedicated to God. Just because you read a couple Rumi poems doesn't mean you understand what something is fag

Sounds based desu.

>Jesus is a hippie

Nope

So is Druzism.

Are you retarded ?
They worship allah through tripping on alcohol and drugs.
Google zikr dance for an example.

>People think Sufism is only about Rumi misquotations and sick ass spinning.

>Rumi misquotations
Right in jaanam desu :(

Nothing about Buddhism is atheist

What's theist about buddhism?

Thats Fulttershy mate

How about actually reading the suttas and not based your knowledge off some flow chart meme a fedora cheetos eating neckbeard made?

Why do bronies have to ruin everything?

Eh, who?

Yes, and he also used violence when it was necessary and useful. See him beating the jews out of the templ. People believing he was some hippie is retarded.

Please go back to your containment board, or start behaving if you're to stay.

Sufism was predominantly developed in Greater Khorasan region of Greater Iran. In Greater Khorasan, there was a lot of Buddhist, Greek, Hindu, and Zoroastrian influence still present.

I'd say Sufism is eclectic and about gnosis within the Neoplatonic One, which is reinterpreted in a perennial way with metaphors derived from various religious traditions.

A lot of people aren't aware of this, but many Sufis used a lot of metaphors from Zoroastrianism. For example, Attar's Conference of the Birds uses a lot of imagery that is reminiscent of Manichaeism and Zoroastrianism.

Also, check this guy out:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahab_al-Din_Yahya_ibn_Habash_Suhrawardi

Finally, check out my pic which is by Mahmoud Farshchian, a Persian miniaturist who is inspired by a lot of Sufism.

Samanid Empire was an Iranian empire in which a lot of Sufi beliefs began to develop in Greater Khorasan area:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samanid_Empire

In a propaganda book written long after his death.

The same that people uses to say he was a peaceful good boy

What are you talking about, the core of Buddhism is atheistic. The Buddha himself said to his followers "be a light unto yourselves" as he was dying. The point is to come to this mystical understanding (nirvana) through personal contemplation, not reliance on deities. Mahayana Buddhism, which is theistic, became so by blending with indigenous polytheistic faiths in East Asia. For example in Tibet, one of the most heavily Buddhist countries, the old Bon deities became "aspects of the Buddha," and even there, in higher Vajarajana thought, they're not really considered to exist as gods, but as aspects of the mind

>Mahayana Buddhism, which is theistic
Not all of Mahayana Buddhism is theistic. Most of it isn't theistic at all, like Madhyamaka and Ch'an.

True, I hadn't considered that. However as a whole, Mahayana Buddhism I would say is far more theistic than Theravada, at least on paper. That's discounting all of the folk beliefs from Southeast Asia that have seeped in over the years. But like I said, those aren't native to Theravada Buddhist doctrine

>However as a whole
As a whole, I'd say Mahayana is not theistic. Here are three main influential schools of Mahayana: Madhyamaka, Yogacara (including Dharmakirti), and Sarvastivada. None of them are theistic.

No
It was written long after the rest of the bible