Given that the car's power comes from energy obtained from igniting gasoline...

given that the car's power comes from energy obtained from igniting gasoline, what is theoretically the most powerful engine possible? it seems like >400hp cars are pretty commonplace now

Top fuel dragsters make 5 digit hp using traditional cylinder engine design. I think rockets or jet engines hold the highest hp numbers.

Depends what you want to move and how long you want the engine to last. A top fuel motor makes ~11000hp from 7 liters. People do 1000+mile trips with 3000hp drag cars. 1700+hp crate engines are readily available and are completely streetable and DD'able.

If it weren't for emission bullshit we'd have production 600hp hothatches and 1500hp hellcats, Way to go California and Europe.

the more air that passes through the engine the more 'powerful' it is.
depends also if you are measuring how much torque it produces or work done.

yeah lets melt the icecaps already what could possibly go wrong

commuters are worse

you're pretty stupid aren't you?

>being retarded enough to live at sea level.

I'll be fine here. btw a 1500hp perfectly tuned engine is less damaging to the planet than a 2 stroke scooter now multiple that by a couple billion. And yet we have to have 900 catalytic converters on our cars and still get blamed for fucking up the planet.

>yeah lets melt the icecaps already what could possibly go wrong
Mind telling us what you know about climate change and what percentage humans are responsible for?
>i'll wait

look a climatologist happens to be looking for an argument on the car board of a taiwanese basket weaving message board!
Oh wait no, you're just a random dickhead who knows less than the cunt you replied to.

if you were able to use nuclear fusion that would make the most powerful engine

>not having an engine that runs off quasars

How many years out is that map projected? Looks like Seattle metro is all underwater

humans are going about it all wrong

>MFW ocean reclaims California

BRB buying as many diesels as I can to roll coal with.

Emissions has literally zero to do with the problem. CAFE averages are what set the upper bound.

Also, just because you can doesn't mean you should. Companies actually have to keep daily driving in mind because most people will never rev past 4k. It's easy to throw turbos at the problem until you get 1000 horsepower but then you have a car that drives like shit because of the turbo lag.

I'm so tired of Veeky Forums pretending to know the first fucking things about cars.

>Turbo lag
>ever a problem in daily driving

Spotted the guy who's never driven anything but his mom's automatic Accord

You know it used to be called global warming, now it's called climate change.
Really activates my almonds

Don't give a fuck. Go clean some illegals' feet you Commiefornian.

That's why you twin turbo big V8's. Run the wastegates fully open with 0 boost and you still have a 400hp NA engine.

>LL Sunshine uniform
>Mari wig
>didn't style it like Mari's hair

what's the point?

HAHAHA Great lakes Water front property master race

our "beaches" are stinky though

Not the guy you replied to, but I'm pretty sure his point was that most people only drive automatics cars and don't rev them very high. For the majority of car buyers, turbo lag is a problem, so carmakers pander to that.

Or you target 700 horsepower and you have a truly usable powerband.

>Silicon Valley, shit parts of Cali underwater
>Shit parts of the country under water including the east coast
>LET IT BEGIN

Probably somewhere over 109,000 BHP.