Ok so why can't i just buy $10,000 worth of oil/gas tonight; store it in an isolated and cool environment...

Ok so why can't i just buy $10,000 worth of oil/gas tonight; store it in an isolated and cool environment. Then cover each barrel in an airtight lamination of some sort. Wait till 2025 and resell for ridiculously higher price and make it my retirement?

Other urls found in this thread:

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-03/that-time-i-tried-to-buy-some-crude-oil
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

because you could have invested in kneepads instead and started sucking dick for faster profit.

This is a business and finance board (re: cryptocoin shilling board), we're not chemists or petrochemical engineers, why the fuck would we know how you could make it work?

Because gas goes bad in less than a year, even with preservatives

Why do that when you can just buy shares of an oil ETF?

You have to buy futures, which is a contract to deliver oil at a certain price at a future date, this si because there isn't enough storage capacity to just buy the actual thing, and it is consumed too fast, unlike, for example gold

Oil or crude is hard to stockpile. A bbl of crude is 42 gallons and costs like $50. so a huge 500,000 gal tank full of WTI, is worth like $590,000 and costs like $760,000 to build. You would need to WTI to go to $100-120 to be worth it. When oil is that expensive coal gasification, shitty marginal tar sands, biofuels and nuclear power and thermal depolymerization turning obsolete human carcasses and old style computer monitors into light sweet crude.

What's makes you think you will be able to resell at a "ridiculously higher price" in 2025? Who or which company would buy unrefined oil from an user like you? I think crypto would give you a better return.

He means Natural gas (methane) and Oil doesn't go bad.

you can, go for it.

I imagine $10,000 worth of natural gas would take up a lot of space and buying that much "tonight" as OP said might get the attention of some bad people, but it doesn't degrade over time so if OP has the facilities then I don't see why not.

I have no idea where a normie would buy crude oil, but it's smelly and toxic and at $52 a barrel would take up a whole lot of space, so maybe not the best option either.

Do you have licensing for storing huge amounts of highly flammable liquids in your parent's basement? Do you have experience in working with oil/gas on an industrial scale?

No?

Enjoy getting fucked by the long arm of the law when they find out your storage is a massive firebomb waiting to go off and incinerate the whole neighborhood.

Crude oil is about as explosive or flammable as asphalt. Its totally useless unless its refined.

Because the oil price will never surpass $200, so at best you'd what, quadruple your money?

Plus, crude is useless. Only refineries will buy it, and what refinery will buy 200 barrels of oil from a citizen?

>be 2025
>driving around in my tesla, like 50% of americans
>see a crudely buil billboard on side of road
>barel of oyel - $100
>figure this must be some sort of historical museum
>decide to check it out
>find op, clutching his rusted barrel of oil, laughing to himself about it carrying him to the moon any day now.
>"but sir, all our space crafts are solar powered now."
>he screeches at me in a fashion similar to an agitated frog
>starts shouting "off my property, normie!"

this.

only reasonable thing to do is buy lots of diesel when its cheap and drive a diesel car for next 20 years

>tesla

when will this meme end

>will never surpass 200

>2028 oil is at 1000 dollars a barrel

>im on the moon

> your riding a bike.

why don't you just buy all the oil, then sell it at a much higher price?

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-03/that-time-i-tried-to-buy-some-crude-oil

>If you inhale hydrogen sulfide in a concentration of 1,000 ppm (0.1 percent by volume) for only a few seconds, you will be dead

>That [is] all good and well until you learn it’s not Bakken but Kurdish oil, under strict embargo. Well done [for] supporting ISIS

>It is at this point that I conceded defeat. Storing oil, it turns out, requires incredibly good ventilation and a rock-solid insurance policy, both severely lacking at my 400-square-foot New York apartment.

gas is very volatile so you will be absolutely fucked if where you store it isnt entirely sealed. keep all air out, oxygen and moisture can fuck stuff up. would last quite a lot time id presume before it starts reacting and chemical composition changes to the point its useless.

yeah unrefined is very nasty stuff.its basically a mixture of a metric fuckton of different compounds, not just the nice hydrocarbons of a few lengths you want. which is why crude is fucking black and not clear and ranges from extremely runny to stupidly viscous.

Maintenance is a pain in the ass. Go to work for a refinery if you want to know how to do it right.

Exxon Mobile, Praxair, Air Gas products are but a few who specialize in various oil and compressed gas products.

It's pretty freaky in that H2S takes your sense of smell out first so if you catch a big whiff of it, rotten eggs, then can't smell it, you might already be dead, or worse, turned into a vegetable. I think oil workers earn their pay especially considering most of the new workings are sour.