What is the historical context of modern Flat Earth Theory

What is the historical context of modern Flat Earth Theory.

Is it just a thought experiment that went too far?

I mean no one actually believes this, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TFsuOFoolW8
youtube.com/watch?v=UHkiZNT3cyE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the earth is flat

fucking atheists *tips fedora*

it's for conspiracists who are so contrarian they don't want to partake in all those popular conspiracies, who are like, soo mainstream and casualised

which are like*

all flat earthers I've seen arguing for it are believers in God and think the spherical earth idea is a grand conspiracy to make people lose faith

>What is the historical context of modern Flat Earth Theory
It comes from american religious fundamentalists with a particular literal interpretation of scripture

1 Chronicles 16:30: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable.”
Psalm 93:1: “Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm ...”
Psalm 96:10: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...”
Psalm 104:5: “Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.”
Isaiah 45:18: “...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast...”
Isaiah 11:12
12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH.

Revelation 7:1
1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

Job 38:13
13 That it might take hold of the ENDS OF THE EARTH, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?

th;dc lel

The Flat Earth Society was the Landover Baptist Church of it's day, a club for contrarians who loved to argue and who found the perfect tool for creating arguments in claiming to believe in a flat Earth. The internet has spread what was originally a knowing meme for snarky Britfags into a actual cultural phenomenon of actual grown adult humans who literally actually really believe in a flat Earth, thus proving two things: Poe's Law is universal, and so is human stupidity.

>Earth
>flat
>when we have mountains
The clues are there for fuck's sake.

Daily reminder.
youtube.com/watch?v=TFsuOFoolW8

wake up sheeple

youtube.com/watch?v=UHkiZNT3cyE

Has it ever occured to them that the Earth rotates?

I'm referring to the picture of course.

Everything has an ending, only the sausage has two

All the ones I've seen think NASA is trying to trick you as it's sponsored by the government

The weird thing about this is, it ignores the USSR and China,both of which confirm the NASA conspiracy for no obvious benefit to themselves.

>America is the same size in every picture except the one that's obviously taken at a different angle
>HURR DURR WHAT ARE YOU HIDING NASA

>Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken
>what are earthquakes

The Flat Earth meme is a "conspiracy theory" designed to distract, divide and discredit those who criticize the establishment.
It will come to the point when you won't be able to criticize NASA, or anything government related, without being associated with FE and instantly labelled insane.

I remember that for years YouTube had the standard conspiracy theories: coverups, hidden technology, and the more special ones being with Aliens, A51, hollow Earth.
In about 2014, the whole "Flat Earth" thing suddenly exploded, out of nowhere. People were getting flooded with flat earth video and comments. I know that trolls and psychos exist, but no way is this a natural thing and controlled in some way.

>historical context

More anti-Christian propaganda was created in the seventeenth century when historians invented what is known as the "Flat Earth Myth," which claimed that Medieval Christian Europe believed the earth was actually flat, a notion that was supposedly contested by Columbus. The myth was created as part of a campaign by Protestants against Catholic teaching. Historian Jeffrey Burton Russell claims

>"with extraordinary few exceptions no educated person in the history of Western Civilization from the third century B.C. onward believed that the earth was flat,"

and he regards that the myth gained currency in the nineteenth century due to inaccurate histories such as John William Draper's History of the Conflict Between Religion and Science (1874) and Andrew Dickson White's History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom (1896).

>Russell, Jeffrey Burton (1997), "The Myth of the Flat Earth," Studies in the History of Science (American Scientific Affiliation).

*tips fedora*

I find it hilarious how these people think the US goverment needs NASA to steal 0.5% of the federal budget. Like it wouldn't just be easier to make this amount go missing in the military budget with some criative accounting.

Seems to just be the most modern evolution of the sorts of crazies who believe in chemtrails and fake moons.

An interesting phenomenon online that I noticed is that entire groups "discover" new things to believe quite simultaneously, look at fedoras and anti feminism for example.

Christianity

>All the ones I've seen think NASA is trying to trick you as it's sponsored by the government
...In order to make you lose faith

>A conspirasy theory to end all conspiracy theories

Gotta admitt though,thats food for thought

Man, people realised the Earth was round for 3000 years ago. Why the fuck do retards walk around today believing it to be different? How the hell do they explain the fact that you can figure it out for yourself by traveling across the earth?

Kek

You do know there is an actual modern day group of flat earthers, right?