Cheapest way to 200mph

I thought of a fun idea: find the cheapest route to getting a car to 200+ mph.

I'm assuming some sort of V8 with a turbo. Maybe a corvette?

Anyone here get near that speed? I think the fastest I've ever gone was 160mph, but I'd imagine the extra 40mph gets exponentially more difficult.

Other urls found in this thread:

buffalo.craigslist.org/ctd/6026479451.html
boards.Veeky
youtube.com/watch?v=OVsetfAYaxg
youtube.com/watch?v=lLGPHl1o0bc
newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/6019903016.html
race-cars.com/carsales/chevy/1388770947/1388770947ss.htm
race-cars.com/carsales/other/1380246847/1380246847ss.htm
hendrickmotorsportscertifiedracecars.com/racecar-inventory.aspx
racingjunk.com/NASCAR-ARCA-ASA-SUPER-CUP-HOOTERS/182831245/NASCAR-Team-For-Sale-100-000.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why? You'd most likely run out of road on any public stretch of asphalt well before you'll hit 200.

Just a thought-experiment. Anyone going over 100mph on a public road seems like an idiot to me.

The cheapest way is to buy a car that can already do 200 mph

I thought top speed had more to do with the transmission and gearing

I sort of doubt that. Just a quick Google search shows 200mph cars as high end mercs, audi's, vettes, or vipers.

Those cars go for $40k+ used (except the vette). Maybe get a C5 with high mileage for $20k, but even then, I don't think it'll reach that speed stock.

True, but even if your gearing will get you to 200, it doesn't mean you have enough power to get there.

In that case then makes the most sense. It's probably gonna be the cheapest in terms of money AND time.

I know we're a car enthusiast board but let's be honest, the time and money spent building a car to go 200 MPH will probably die after the first pull.

If anything, buy a car with longer/more gearing (like the 7 speed the corvette has), and a car that is capable of a very high top speed. The newest corvette comes to mind, then slap twin turbos on it, some sticky ass tires, and call it a day.

buffalo.craigslist.org/ctd/6026479451.html

Here's an sl55 AMG for $30k.

Those supposedly hit 200.

$1 craigslist junker. Doesn't even need to move

Find a really big cliff

Roll off it

You have now hit 200mph for $1

Yamaha R1 or any other liter bike will get you close for about 8k give or take.

/Thread

Says 160 here, but 170 here : boards.Veeky Forums.org/o/thread/16761322#bottom

Well? What it is drumpfkin?

e60 m5 in auto are like 18k i think, manual 22-30k

Probably a fiero, $3000 with an NSX tranny swap, $6000, and a junkyard L's TT swap, $1000. Change rear tires to get to the correct diameter and reach 200.

These pukes keep posting shit from out of state and its annoying as hell.

Its bad enough i live in ny.

Dont imply i want to drive to ohio to try and get something cool

You can get a W211 E55 AMG for ~10-15k
Mod it for 3k and gain another 150hp reliably

youtube.com/watch?v=OVsetfAYaxg
Here's 208
You might be able to do it with something cheaper, but I mean this is sort of designed for it. Ideally just mod it to reach that speed quicker.

My old 2003 mustang GT did 160 with room to go. Throw a turbo on it and make sure it has gears for it. ~$10k.

There are turbo LS shitboxes running 7-8 second passes in the 1/4, imagine they could do 200 pretty easily. A lot of them are sub-$5k builds.

As you approach 200mph it gets exponentially harder. There's a guy making something like 900HP in his Integra purpose-built for top speed and he could barely touch 200.

A lot of modern 400+hp cars from the last decade or so can reach those speeds by simply deactivating the limiter. Although you probably wouldn't want to do it without suspension mods and the right tire choice and probably a brake package as well. After that, all you'd need would be a long enough stretch of pavement without traffic or cops.

Cars like the Pontiac GTO and certain AMG Mercedes have enough power to get to 200mph or at least very close to it.

That's what happens when you mod a car not built for top speed.

Honestly the cheapest way to 200 mph is to mod an already built purpose built car.

> Pontiac
> 200 mph
Lol no

>complete 2wd Ford F-250 with 460 $1000
>rebuild engine 572 with kaase heads and nitrous kit $7000
>strip all the sheet metal, shorten frame and relocate suspension mounting points $200
>fiberglass cockpit $400
>tires that will hold up $550
Less than 10 grand

The truck would rip it self apart at 200 if it could even manage to make it to 150 in one piece....

Assuming we're talking about a modern one, sure. Just push it off a tall cliff and grab your radar gun.

"Fastest I've ever gone". Not what others with their cars have gone. Also, 160mph in a 4 cyl. turbo is very different from 170mph in a turbo-charged V8.

Are you really this bored that you call me out on syntax?

youtube.com/watch?v=lLGPHl1o0bc

>sticky tyres
I think you mean tyres with a high heat rating, literally the only thing that matters at 200mph

>Buy shell of an old NASCAR for 5-7k.
>Spend 15-20k on egregious V8 drivetrain

And a body kit.

V12 BWM 8-series

200mph would be impressive 30 years ago. nowadays every faggot with 120k can hit it.
with modern technology going 300mph in ice powered car would gain you a lot of fame. that is, if you care

You were in that car therefore you went 170....

Don't flip flop you slimy fuck. I bet you do this every day. What a shitty personality.

What car is this?

>mfw all the pathetic responses in this thread

EZ Mode: 1999 Hayabusa. 194mph straight from the factory. ECU flash (free) plus a smaller rear sprocket ($5)

grand total: $7005

newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/6019903016.html

i dare someone to try and find a cheaper route to 200

E60 M5 with some small mods will do that easy

C5z06 with a turbo downhill. Usually run out of room but 200 can be reached

an airplane ticket

and how exactly do you plan on obtaining a used NASCAR shell then

Looks like a Mazda2...

Mazdaspeed 3

The OP said car, way to be a cocky cunt and fail.

Rx7 shell -5k
LS1 swap -12k
Supercharger 5k
22k all in, even hitting 600bhp with the right gearing and aero it will easily hit 200.

wrong, it will top out at terminal velocity ~120mph

2003 e55 amg, 10k
nitrous and limiter removed 2k

The internet, retard.

See:
race-cars.com/carsales/chevy/1388770947/1388770947ss.htm
race-cars.com/carsales/other/1380246847/1380246847ss.htm
hendrickmotorsportscertifiedracecars.com/racecar-inventory.aspx
racingjunk.com/NASCAR-ARCA-ASA-SUPER-CUP-HOOTERS/182831245/NASCAR-Team-For-Sale-100-000.html

Some of them aren't cheap, but 200MPH would be fucking cake with an unrestricted Daytona/Talladega car.

Motorcycle

Probably an E39 M5

This.

Take the limiter off and you'll be able to break 200mph.

>car

bingo

Buy a ticket for a commercial airline.

There's more to going 200mph than just power. You have to have aerodynamics to stay stable and not die at those speeds. Cramming a big engine into a shitbox designed for 100mph just isn't going to work without a fuckload of fabrication.

Corvettes will easily reach 200mph stock or with light mods like a pulley swap. Your going to need at least $30k for that.

The cheapest way would be buying a used dragster.

I wouldn´t drive it faster than 150mph, and I already don´t care about surviving.
Even a roadster like a Audi TT feels different at that speed.
How about LS-swapping a cappochino?
You would only need a verry long transmission/final drive ratio and maybe some aeromods for less air resistance and a bit downforce to corner at 200mph since every slight bit of curve gets realy tight at that speed.

-t. suicidal german

Bmw 840i?

The M60 will reliably hold 600 hp+ on a stock bottom end, and the stock gearing should be ideal.

Foxbody + Chinese turbos.

Is the Foxbody platform even capable of driving at this speed?
Im mean it has a solid rear axle and shitty suspension wich makes it extremely shitty in corners.
And at 200mph everything is a corner...

Yeah HE'S the one with the shitty personality

Yup that gto had a 350 small block. The LT1 or LS1 I don't remember

Why would you waste an NSX transmission on a Fiero?

any older meme benz or bmw will easily come close with the electronic limiter removed. $20k tops. next question kid

It's an Accord transmission. Honda's lazy engineering makes it easy to find a replacement.

Corvettes
200mph
stock
...pulleys.

Do you even realize how autistic you are?

If I had to guess I'd say he meant a camshaft swap.