/twg/ - Total War General

gael edition

FAQs and General Info
pastebin.com/gZ1T9VCN (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)(embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Warhammer introduction to MP Lords and Heroes
pastebin.com/hPkPujTB (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)(embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)
To update: Never pick anything other than Morghur as Beastmen.
Necromancer heroes are top pick right now while raise dead is still broken as fuck.

>Empty Steam Groups
steamcommunity.com/groups/totalwargeneral
steamcommunity.com/groups/twgmp

>ACTUAL Total War News
!
!
If you've been living under a rock these past few months, Shortbrindal is free now.
Waiting for Bretonnia (Late Feb, stop asking, previews and shit should be mid Feb)
!
We have battle map creating tools now. Only land battles and only for custom/custom mp games. Siege battles may be a possibility in the future but they're practically covering their ears and screeching at any mention of using modded maps to improve the campaign.
!
!

Mods -- twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?2191-Total-War-WARHAMMER-Modifications
>Recent
Update Info -- wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_WARHAMMER_Update_5
>Recent
DLC (good goy) -- store.steampowered.com/app/534331

Suggested Mod Pack (You can pick and choose from the list, Suggested by user):
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=817040576

NECESSARY Mod Packs
steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198005554297/myworkshopfiles/

previous thread: (Cross-thread)

After sailing for what felt like ages 2 turns is 6 irl months, doesn't seem terribly realistic, we have come ashore at what looks like a prosperous land

(embed)

The next city over has the name of the greatest man to ever live, seems like a fitting place to claim as our home!

First for barbar invasions

>Playing Vampire Counts.
>Realize that Bretonnia has been destroyed.
>Figure it was the Wood Elves.
>Notice Marienburg has 14 settlements.
>Middenland and Talabecland took out everyone other than Marienburg and Ostermark (who are down to 1 settlement) while I was genociding the Dwarfs.
>My Dwarf genocide pulled my reputation down with everyone other than Marienburg.
>Kislev went almost 100 turns unmolested until Archaon spawned in.
This is the last time I kill the Dwarfs before claiming the Empire Provinces. I'm just glad I noticed it before they started declaring war/breaking treaties. Most of my armies are balls deep in the badlands.

Playing Durthu in the NEET elf mini campaign is a joke right? Everyone gets massive late game armies by turn 40 while you have useless dryads and at best some treekin by then because you have to build defensive in all your settlements. Add to that that every fucking elf faction declares war on you all the time. I saved on turn 57 and had to go back 15 times by now. Feels like pic related

Huberto?

what is this?

My enemies are many, my equals are none

In the shade of living trees they said Athel Loren could never be conquered

In the land of vampires and necromancers, they said Sylvania could never be humbled

In the realm of chaos and snow, they said Norsca could never be tamed

Now they say nothing, they fear me, like a force of nature, a dealer in thunder and death

I say, I am Franz! I am Prince and Emperor!

>he said nothing about greenskins
>gets his ass chopped off by goblin

>no historic tw game for years
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH ROME

He's trying to poop again user

Okay, how do I fight non-humans as a Vampire? I can only raze their towns, right? And my provinces can spread corruption only to adjacent ones. So I can safely create one-province-wide safe zone and then what? March across provinces after provinces of attrition?

The gods will differently, however. As to which gods, nobody can say for sure.

Raiding prevents attrition damage, but some vampire characters can spread corruption in local provinces. If you can get corruption high enough, attrition will be disabled, so chanelling stance can help bring troops back up to strength. However, that takes a while, so there may be a fair bit of bouncing back and forth between a safe province and the front lines.

Remember the Rome 2 release? Good, now you don't wamt historic titles anymore.

GONNA STAB

Rome 2 became okay after a metric asston of patches though
Also Shogun 2 and Attila were perfectly fine even on release, WRE was literally shit-tier before but that was probably intentional anyway

After an uneventful auto-resolve battle, Dimmidi is ours, and with it - the gems that it produces.

usually lack of corruption will only be an issue in norsca and the badlands, as most dwarf provinces are close enough to human provinces to get to 50% corruption with some effort. For norsca and the badlands raiding and rotating armies in and out to avoid attrition is usually the best strategy if you really feel the need to purge them (I usually do this late-game, if ever).

>implying

If that was the case most would have stopped at empire, or even M2

None of these games were the sequel to ROME

The local population seems to be slightly annoyed at the arrival of a new KANG

who /no hope/ here?

Stuff

>We Bret you're pretty excited for Bretonnia - we are too. In the meantime, enjoy this screenshot.

it's trebuchets that shoot pegasus knights?

Not noticing any new units here.

One was the game directly after Rome and broke everything that worked perfectly in it, and was the sequel to M1 which was damn good.

we peasants now

Is that a spear chucka?

Alright, the GOD IS DEAD spam is legitimately unnerving.

Should I get Warhammer from Humble Bundle for $12?

gray infantry unit?

yeah

Yes.

Pilgrims maybe? they were shown during Festag and that resolution doesn't help

If the WRE is supposed to be the "best empire" then how come it's always the first one to fall and how come in some campaigns the ERE even manages to survive?

>meagre fertility
>no port is sight
You fucked up, kid

Because it's too good for this world user.

>No new units

What a shame

I want to be dominated by a best elf!

what are these guys circled here - they don't have the usual blue/red peasant color scheme

As the populace revolts over and over, and as the KANGZ from the east converge like vultures upon our freshly-founded KANGdom, we finally get to the point of this campaign...

Probably battle pilgrims

Stop saying KANGz,you're playing Alans

why does it keep spamming it though?

Here we go, the Garamantians are upon us

I have not yet turned this land into a proper kingdom worthy of that name, for now it's still just a KANGdom

Because the WRE were for the most part the original romans and their dominions, over hundred of years of ruling without any defined opposition had made them a lazy bunch, more eager to waste their money on debauchery than to actually manage properly the empire as it had no immediate threat in every direction. So when the nomads came in in waves it kind of fucked the WRE hard as their border patrol as by then been reduced to a bunch of levies only there by principle and wouldn't actually be able to defend their fort from any respectable force. Afterward it was like domino as the WRE struggled to keep power while fighting both the invading nomads that seemed countless coming out of bumfuck nowhere and their own client states that saw in that newly found weakness a chance for sovereignty. Kind of like trying to prevent a house of card from falling apart when you have 4 person poking stick at it.

The Eastern side were for the grand majority client states of Rome, with many of them holding them in reverence as they allowed them to rule their own shit more liberally than the Seuleucid and countless others before them that only sought to insure their subservience by crushing all resistance and dissidence. In comparison, the Romans were pretty nice fella who only asked tribute and if given actually respected their words and fought for you. So most of them were more than eager to live upon the beliefs and way of doing things that allowed them to survive in the first place.

Basically the eastern side adopted the original Romans way of doing things while the actual Romans had started to fall to decadence and ennui by then.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH ROME

Wew, a Begotten reference, that was unexpected

Looks like grail pilgrims in the gray/brown. I can't really tell if the men at arms in the picture are spearmen or a potentially new variant. A Sword or mace version would be cool.

>So when the nomads came in in waves it kind of fucked the WRE hard as their border patrol as by then been reduced to a bunch of levies only there by principle and wouldn't actually be able to defend their fort from any respectable force.

This was actually by design, the limitanei were meant to serve as a light holding force on the frontiers of the empire, which would buy time for the other parts of the army to respond to threat wherever it occurred as part of a defense-in-depth strategy, which was necessary given how much land the romans had to defend

Breastmen got fucking wrecked in 8th edition holy shit, why did they take out everything?

It was done by people who didn't really give a shit about them

Hi!

I'm Ian, and today on forgotten weapons...

At I first this looks like a joke to me but the more I look at the picture the creepier it gets. At this point I'm pretty anxious at the thought of some inhuman figure with hollow eyes shows up out of nowhere and bang my window while screaming "NO MORE HOPE NO MORE HOPE". It's fucking pitch black outside, there's no traffic at this time because night and I'm alone in my home.
Fuck

Nice info, didn't knew that bit, doesn't sound like the best of system if you're attacked from more than one flank but I suppose that wasn't supposed to ever be a problem from the roman point of view, given that no bordering empire or nation would dare start shit with them.

>the KANGZ are upon us

what was the FPS like in that battle?

>Boot up Rome 2
Im not sure about historical accuracy but... WHERE ARE THE AXES?

I counted Thracian Falx and axes for Armenians and one pair of clubs for Gauls.

Was good axe rocket science in that era?

55 or so
They just had reinforcements, it wasn't like there were literally 12500 niggers on the screen at once
In this battle there were and it was like 9 fps when the battle started

Is this DEI for Atilla or some shit? Its got the ugly ass unit cards and ridiculous easy mode kill counts down.

Pretty sure they're Battle Pilgrims, see pic.

It's FotE
And no that's because I'm using endgame troops against literal tier 1 starter units
I didn't even give them any ranged or cav

>I can't really tell if the men at arms in the picture are spearmen or a potentially new variant. A Sword or mace version would be cool.

It's hard to tell due to the low resolution, but they don't seem to have any spears (or halberds for that matter). Probably a sword-and-board version.

what's difference between sword and mace in this game? and are there axes?

In the new Zelda? Nobody knows yet, we haven't seen much of the game.

If weapon has armor piercing statistic it ignores half the armor.
Thats how it works in Atilla anyway. On the other hand Warhammer is based around arming Dwarfs with axes and hammers so id imagine they took that out.

A mace (or morningstar in the rulebook) essentially gives a charge bonus. Since flagellants are in the game already we can assume it boosts WD with not much ap and a decent charge bonus for an infantry unit.

in attila, maces and axes both have bonus vs infantry and better ap than most sword units. I believe maces also differ in one of the stats that the game doesn't show like weapon reach or attack intervals

>Total War Warhammer follows the rulebook
Dont be silly, theyre all designed around the same base game.

As you can see Dwarf Axes dont ignore armor like the Falx does for instance.

In Warhammer every unit does a certain amount of "normal" damage and Armor piercing damage, you can see exactly how much of each by hovering over the weapon damage bar on their stat card. The armor piercing damage ignore armor completely and the normal damage is affected by armor

A unit that is listed as "armor piercing" is simply one with a high ratio of Armor piercing damage to normal damage

What a fucking slaughter

It was uncomfortably close too, the anvil barely held on long enough

>8hp
is that why combat is so fast?

Wrong.
As you can see "armor piercing is extra modifier" that ignores half the armor for soft damage.
Melee Damage AP is unavoidable damage that some units excel at.

You combine all health modifiers and you get hp per soldier.
29+8+57 - 94 hp

Not sure about speed.

But CA kind of does to a point. Dwarf warriors have a choice of handweapon/shield or great-weapon. Although its an ax and in any other game that would be an AP unit, but in Warhams its not because a handweapon does not have the armor-piercing rule.

Forsaken and Flagellants have maces (I forget what Forsaken are technically classified as but I mean look at them), and those units have higher charge bonuses as well as increased normal weapon damage.

FUCK

This is actually fucking risky now

falxes don't ignore armor, they just have higher ap. I'm pretty sure the armor piercing yes/no is just there for autoresolve, similar to how some infantry have a "mounted yes" note that simply means they move farther on the campaign map

>Melee damage so is unavoidable

This isn't true in warhammer, there is also physical resistance and ward saves.

>Wrong.

Except I'm not wrong.

Units like Crypt Horrors that have "Armor Piercing" listed as an ability on their unit card still have armor piercing listed as "No" on Honga.

In fact looking around on Honga I can't find a SINGLE unit that has "Yes" on their unit card for Armor Piercing. Even dedicated AP units like Chosen with Great Weapons and Cairne Wraiths have "No"

It is ENTIRELY about the ratio of AP damage to normal damage. As far as I can tell the entire feature you are talking about has been removed from Warhams

Forsaken don't have maces, they're listed as "Sword infantry"

They don't have swords either though, they have sharp bits at the ends of their mutant arms.

Flaggelants are listed as "Mace Infantry" and Crypt Ghouls are listed as "Cudgel Infantry"

Those are the only two with maces or mace-like weapons

guys its not that hard weapon damage is split into normal and ap. Normal damage will be modified by armor while ap damage goes through armor but can get modified by physical resistance and ward saves. Worked the same way in R2 and Atilla.

Any bonuses are treated as ap damage

To a point yes but thats simply damage that always go through.

AP damage is unavoidable if the weapon hits.

Armor piercing means Base Damage counts armor as a half when you roll die die.

Melee Attack and Melee Defense governs the chance to hit. If the formula is the same as in Rome 2 and/or Attila, it is around 40% base chance to hit, with each point of Attack above Defense giving +1% chance to hit, and Defense above Attack -1% chance to be hit. So unit with 60 attack and 20 defense attacking unit with 40 attack and 40 defense will have with each attack 60% chance to hit (60-40=20 40%+20%=60%) and vice versa (40 attack against 20 defense 40-20=20 40%+20%=60%).

Cap is 90% top and 10% minimum.

Then if you hit the guy AP damage applies and soft (base) damage counts vs armor by a dice roll. ARMOR dice roll that is.

Thing that game doesnt say to you is attack interval - Great Axe Marauder and Empire Halbediers which have attack speeds of 4.6 and 5.5 respectively compared to the average of 3.8.
Keep that in mind.

ALSO SHIELDS!
Shields will absorb 25 to 50% of ranged soft damage so feel free to pepper great weapon assholes.

There are peasant swordsmen at the upper far left. They are to the left of the white figure (Fay Enchantress I would guess) and to the right of the grail pilgrims.

>Armor piercing means Base Damage counts armor as a half when you roll die die.

This doesn't exist in Warhammer.

>ignoring the 400 melee damage ap right above the bit you circled

Warhammer threw armor piercing out of the window then and focused on AP bonuses instead.

Atilla focuses on armor piercing with Axe units and such.
Indeed.
They gave it 400 AP damage instead.

GET KEKED REBEL FUCKING SHITS

This truly is a fight for survival

So according to honga, shields give a ton of armour in warhammer. Is this true? It would explain why the unshielded gors do so badly

Forsaken don't function as normal swordsman either, they have a semi-ranged attack like halberds.

Why would anybody recruit the Great Eagle instead of the Forest Dragon, I don't understand what the point of this unit is.

Also, why is the elfs skirmisher cav (or every single one of them really) so laughably weak. Their stats are good but they always take ages to fire and they just can't rack up any kills.

user can I ask why exactly you, the Alans, are in the middle of the fucking desert?

That seems redundant, why do they have a flag for armor piercing and straight up armor piercing melee damage?

>bonus vs elephants