What's the deal with the first gen mazdaspeed 3? Some people say it's shit, others say it's great...

What's the deal with the first gen mazdaspeed 3? Some people say it's shit, others say it's great. Some say it's unreliable, others say it's bulletproof like other mazdas.

Some made in Jay-pan, some made in Keksiko.

Looks wayyyy better than the mk2

I think cosmetically it looks damn beautiful
the engine is alright but it's a finicky bitch if you try to mod, but just stock these are pretty reliable

Pretty much like other mazdas. They would run forever if they wouldnt rust

what's the best gen ms3?

I mean there's only 2 and they are identical in every mechanical way so it really comes down to which one you think looks better

Gen 2 has a fair bit of chassis improvements if I recall, as well as a more reliable engine.

Bodystyle is desirable imo
Get one with a history in a salt-free state.
Check for rust
smoking turbos = bad
engines are pretty bulletproof, but need an aftermarket fuel pump or you could end up fucking it (most often by flooring it in 6th gear for whatever fucking retarded reason but it's still there) This is mainly an issue with 2nd gens but as I've never owned a 1st gen it's worth mentioning (not sure if they use the same setup, I'm pretty sure a MS6 does as well)
Check the Mazdaspeed forums (Tho forum culture is outdated and you won't find much for cars made after around ~13, cars before that are aplenty)
wwwdotmazdaspeedforumsdotorg
Basically if you buy it have atleast enough money to drop on a new turbo.

Or until the timing chain stretches out.

They're pretty unreliable, imo. Mostly timing chain issues and bad rust. WRXs don't cost much more money and are more or less as reliable, but you get AWD. The 2nd gen is the better model.

More likely your WRX has been hooned to shit and then spat onto CL than the MS3, tho there's a pretty good chance it was too.
That's kind of a big factor for some people.

The MS3 is what people into SRT4s hopped into right after it quit being built, so I doubt it.

There's still plenty of them hooned to shit, and a good amount of popped motors. I don't buy the hoon theory at all as a lot of the 2.3 DISIs that failed came out of CX7s.

And to be fair Subarus rust out pretty bad. Rear strut tower rust (on Wagons) which most people don't realize their car has until it leaks water into the back.

There's plenty of both cars hooned to shit, but my point was WRX is more hooned than an MS3. And SRT4 owners kept buying used Neons because there's so many of them, and most of those guys were looking for an "american tuner", not a turbo jap hot hatch.
Gotta realize I'm in the deep south and grew up with neonfags.

Not true
They only need a fuel pump to start adding mods. Just like most turbo cars
Speeds never had rust issues
The are not identical.
Not true

>no rust issues

how is that possible on a mazda?

are you just stating that mazda uses a whole different type of metal for their cars in order to get rusted or are you just demonstrating your autism around?

Mazdas are universally known to have rust issues

Mazda's are pretty notorious for rust issues.

Not really.
Not more than any other jap car anyway.
Plus ALL ms3 came undercoated.

>tfw no stock manual non-speed 3 hatch

What are you talking about?
I have a 5spd 3 hatch.
Even 2017s are manual

>jap cars

Well yeah, all of them up until the early 00s rust, except for maybe Lexus. Mazda just rust more.

>undercoating

Most cars in Europe are undercoated. It does fuckall, except prevent rock chipping and sandblasting the underside of the car, it doesnt actually prevent rust otherwise. Wheel arches will still rust

Mine 2005 3 has no rust.
Dont know what youre on about except memes

>he doesn’t know

Forgot picture

Anyone who lives in the salt belt knows how bad Mazda's rust.

where's that stupid faggot on Veeky Forums that owns one & thinks that it's better than a corvette?

I dont live in the rust belt. And anything rusts i the rust belt. So whatever

german cars dont rust in the rust belt

Oh?

MS3/3 MPS owner here.

Turbo blew up at around 110K/kms/70k miles. Replaced with stronger OEM unit, going fine.
Critical upgrades imo:
-Good tyres. Stock tyres are shiiiiiiiiiit
-Shocks/suspension
-Fuel pump if you're doing any sort of tuning.
-Cobb accessport for anything tuning. Pretty much a plug-and-play solution.
- Turbo downpipe for extra rumble

Had mine for nearly 2 years. Pretty reliable so far. Super practical and with ok MPG, around 23/25ish MPG. The Gen 1 appeals to my attraction to sleeper cars. Nobody knows that this car isn't a regular, run-of-the-mill Mazda 3, the only give aways being the rims, spoiler and the badge.

2012 Speed3.
Owner since 31000miles
Cobb APV3, downpipe, fuel pump internals, 3.5BAR sensor

Nothing negative to say. A critique would be that they tried to make the Gen2 more aggressive by making the clutch very on or off and an odd throttle map where it's quite pleasant then you're suddenly acellerating hard yet never moved your foot. Steering is a bit numb but sharp. At 140+ it gets a little "floating like." Maintenance isn't bad. No smoking turbo and I beat the shit out of it until 70K. Brake pads can be expensive if you opt for Mazda OEM. They're worth it though.

No rust. Wash your car whenever they stop salting and you'll be fine. NC,NJ,TX have been visited and or lived in since I've owned the car. Interior has a bit of noise issues in the sense that you hear the road noise terrible at highway speeds. Paint is good so long as you wash and wax at decent intervals. The hood scoop helps with boost temps.