/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

dorf edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Strange_mood
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Leather_works,
twitter.com/AnonBabble

One of my dwarves was possessed

help what do

Give them what they want, also read dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Strange_mood

Alright, so he wants to make something although im not sure what
Also my keep losing goblets which somehow are found right after in the hospital, im not sure if thats related

It's rarely possible to predict what he will make (though it will likely be something useless). But that's not important, what's more important is that he gets all his materials. If he doesn't get them, better wall him off, just in case.

Are they just lying around in the hospital or are they in a stockpile there? Do you have any patients?

Nobody was a patient, and they were on one of the beds, as well as a spilled pool of the wine that was in them
right now hes just chilling out in the temple

So the possessed dwarf hasn't claimed a workshop yet? That's not good... what are his highest profession skills? Do you have the relevant workshops?

I don't know how that could have happened. I don't recall ever having problems with goblets not being stored properly.

He's a leather worker, but I dont have a leather workshop or leather to use in one, so this may go badly

Okay built a leather works, dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Leather_works, he may not need leather per se, you don't know what he needs till he claims a workshop.

So, a female human poet went into my tavern and I wanted to catch her, so I got some unarmed dwarf assigned to attack her so she runs into a cage. But does anyone know why this doesnt work? Even though she never saw the traps (placed them after her arrival) she never activates the traps when she is fleeing and she is not even considered an enemy once she falls unconcsious from all the beating.

Anyone knowing how you can achieve this?

Also forgot to tell you this, but you have about 40 days from the start of the mood untill he goes insane.

Ok done, and now hes claimed it, hopefully I dont have to murder him soon, thanks for the help

Starting DF for the first time. I spent a few days reading starter guides, watching newbie let's plays. Wish me luck, anons.

>guards don't understand furniture
Hilarious.

Oh god yeah, I'm gonna do a full rebuild once the artifact stuff comes out anyways, but I figured I'd get as much of the bugs as I can out of the way now.

Does anyone happen to know how to make regional resurrection reactions work?

I've got the demon renaming and such going fine, found an art of cutting slab in the fort I started in, ha ha, yay, still having trouble getting the demiurges to secure a position in a civ reliably though.

Haven't picked a fight with an angel yet, though I found two of them beating up Incubus, poor fucker is running and dodging, then I run in and start hacking at them.

Have fun user
Remember, RTFW

thanks doc

Just had my first fight in my fortress between two dwarves in the tavern, blood on the floor is currently ruining everybodies good vibes

Loser is resting in hospital, he got fucked up pretty bad

Nice tileset, whats the big green M

probaly ur 'M'om

Dude got out of hospital and almost immediately got into another fight which he lost, guy just cant help himself

user is right: but only if your mom is a big dead dragon-like demiurge dude.

:(

Suck my dick

Did some more research on world map sizes.

In particular I looked up the size of human towns. Most of the time, it seems like they stick to 17x17 embark tiles. In some cases they get "squeezed" between other sites, in which case their size will vary, but 17x17 seems to be their "default" size.

This should translate to 1.632x1.632 kilometers.

Out of sheer interest, I decided to compare it with the size of the world map in GTA III. I failed to find any clear answer on the internet (there were many conflicting accounts), so I had to start the game up and take some measurements myself. In the end I got the map size data from GTA III, and I made a small infographic where I compared it to a town in DF.

Here's what I ended up with. Really makes you think huh.

What does that map assume each in-game grid square is? 2m x 2m or 1m x 1m?

2x2 meters per tile, as Toady confirmed.

It does sound a bit arbitrary (especially since two people can't share a tile while standing), but it's what we have to go by. It also makes sense since a bed fits in one tile.

This fucking guy just got into ANOTHER fight with a different dwarf and is in hospital again

Kill everyone else, he's clearly right and your entire fort is wrong.

bump

>having fun with micromanagement
>giving a fuck about anything but instant gratification (e.g. sieges)

As does a collosus

A collossus fitting in a 2x2 meter space doesn't sound that weird, to be honest (although imagining it fitting in a building with a 3 meter high roof does sound weird).

In any case, creatures can't really be compared to furniture, since the way in which they exist in and interact with the world is fundamentally different.

I always imagine every single floor looking like this desu

For larger halls, I usually ramp instead of mining. That way, you get more monumental halls.

You might have a ghost

Hold your horses there sugartits, I'm about to go eat breakfast and I might just need a toothpick, so you keep that thing hard for me, ok?

A large map is roughly the same size as the earth

Wait, are you guys serious with that? And I wanted to go visit that library at the other side of the map, yet I cannot even find a normal city with a shop right now

It depends on the map you generated, number of sites, civilization size/health, population and so on

>I'm about to go eat breakfast
I guess the American hours are just about to start.

What bothers me is that I always see you posting throughout the day. Are you sure you get enough sleep?

Judging from your earlier posts, you have both a detached house and a wife. Where in the world do you get the time to shitpost on BOTH bay12 and Veeky Forums, AND play DF all the time?

>Hold your horses there sugartits, I'm about to go eat breakfast and I might just need a toothpick, so you keep that thing hard for me, ok?
Y-y-you too

A large map is 257 world tiles wide. That means 197376 in-game tiles. If we accept the notion that one tile is two meters, we end up with about 395 kilometers.

The circumference of the Earth, however is more than 40 000 kilometers long. It's quite a bit more than the large DF world.

What? A large map is 257x257 world tiles

Yeah, so? It doesn't contradict my post. For simplicity's sake, I just used the width.

If one of the axes of the game world is less than 1% of Earth's circumference, then how in the world do you imagine the game world could be as large as Earth?

Where can I find the raws for mud? I've looked around everywhere but I can't find it. I've looked in material_template_default and all the inorganic materials, but still nothing. I need to change the color token of it because I thought I would be able to create verdant green underground pastures but apparently that's impossible without soil, as muddy stone just makes your moss shit brown.

Hang on.

tile: 2x2x1 m
embark tile (1x1 fort @15 z sky): 48x48 tiles, 96x96x~15 m
world tile (left most screen on embark), 16x16 embark tiles, 768x768 tiles, 1536x1536x~15 m

The campsite I'm in the middle of here covers 3x3 embark tiles, 144x144 tiles, 288x288x15 m

The bottom left patch of brown in your town map should be a 2x2 embark tile chunk, roughly 192x192 m, the central tower in the keep should be right around 15 or 18 tiles I think, the walls should be right about 50 tiles square, each one is at least three tiles thick, just for trivia purposes.

The travel map coordinates on a small world run from 0x0 in the top left corner to 815x815 at the bottom right, a large world extends down to 12335x12335 at the bottom right, and that should work out to ~394 km^2 I think?

Nah, I pop by and bump it or toss out a post between other shit, then like to take a break and shitpost while I study and whatnot.

>The bottom left patch of brown in your town map should be a 2x2 embark tile chunk
I think it's just one embark tile, friendo.

I measured the towns on the embark screen, and there they showed up as being 17x17 embark tiles (one embark tile wider than a world tile) wide. The "squares" of brown dirt on the map seem to coincide perfectly with those tiles. I mean, it looks like 16 or 17 of them would fit sideways on the map.

should I expect absolute fuckery if I use the alpha version for DFHack?

Yeah, I've been screwing around in the arena and overjudged the keep size quite a bit, it's right at 50x50 tiles or 1x1 embark tile for the keep, so that chunk of dirt is right about the same size.

No idea. I'm not using it yet, but from what I've heard, it's pretty safe. The biggest problems seem to be the missing scripts and plugins.

Nah man, that shit is good to go at this point, it's literally just a matter of them not being happy settling for calling the few missing things "good enough" but it's fine for end users and crazy fuckers who like to fuck the world over completely like myself.

(keep example)

Don't know of any missing scripts or plugins actually, there were missing globals that were annoying as shit until last month, and now it's all but totally updated.

>Don't know of any missing scripts or plugins actually, there were missing globals that were annoying as shit until last month, and now it's all but totally updated.
Is that it? Might as well give it a download.

I was just about to fall into a "want dorf, but not dorf" phase, and haven't played the game in almost a week.

Maybe having access to gm-edit can keep me entertained until the artifact release.

>Be beginner
>Decide to make some outside fortification
>Get some kind of castle mound going on, with wall, two towers at the entrance as well as fortified zone right above the drawbidge
>Pasture inside the ward, as well as trade depot
>Even start to dabble with the military system, get a squad of 6 marksdwarves going that I intend to post inside the towers and bridge fortifications
>Feels pretty satisfied with myself
>Suddenly remember that I one time read that I should make them on train one month on two else they'll always feel exhausted
>Do so
>They all fuck off from the archery range and go do their own shit
>Feels content
>Just as I'm done a weregecko pop up
>Oh shouldn't be too much trouble now
>The fucking thing jump over the back wall and start to fuck murderfuck two kids that were playing in the ward

Live and learn I guess.

The picture works well.

Going without gm-editor is easy until I get another hit and it's like a shot of smack after going through full detox.

>The picture works well.
It was literally my expression.
I wasn't aware were-things were able to jump over wall, how high should I build them?

Put a lip on them.

_#

They actually can climb up to that fortification quite easily, as you can climb diagonally upwards. What you want is either of these. The first stops climbing because creature's can't climb on floors, as only tree branches can be held from underneath. The second one is how I usually make my walls since it gives archers immunity to non-elite enemy archers.

___

Up to, yeah, but while I wouldn't say it is impossible, I've yet to see enemies jump in through fortifications while hanging outside.

I can grab the wall and climb up, indeed, but trying to go over from here is a pickle.

I've watched zombies climb down the side of a keep so they could go in through the door and up the ramps because I did this to hop in through the fortifications around the towers, they'll jump for lots of reasons, hell sometimes you'll catch them just jumping across flat ground, skipping or some shit, but this trick seems like it hasn't caught on yet.

what is rtfw

read the fucking wiki

There's nothing in the fucking wiki about whatever RTFW is you condescending cunt

I'm impressed.

I'll grab those magnetits

wuuut

Honestly speaking, if Toady ever feels like developing towns or cities to their whole potential, we could end up having really interesting stuff in the game

>My "protection" is actually just a straight fucking line and I completely forgot about climbing

By god can I be fucking dumb, but as I said, live and learn.
Thanks peeps

>Check back 8 months later
>still no Therapist
Did the update really break mods that much, or have the developers just moved on and I missed the memo? I really wanna get back into DF but I feel like I need to wait.

ReadTheFuckingWiki

>want to dwarf
>cant dwarf

go away for a year this time

only if you give me a well-worded, well thought-out and overall polite responce to my query?

If you read the latest devlogs and extrapolate, then you'll know it's going to take another year waiting for update. Just like with DF2014

You want me to copy the devlogs or confirm your need to wait?

The therapist update or the DF update?

Therapist devs have been working on it, it's not like they haven't made a memory layout for the latest update anyways.

DF. Looks like we won't be getting Therapist anytime soon. Something to do with missing symbols that Toady may release with next update.

Oh cocks. Time to hibernate again I guess.

I've heard the labor manager in dfhack is pretty good

Oh I don't care about the therapist, I never use it. I'm talking about the next DF update taking another year.

Why are people complaining about not being able to play DF until a mod updates?
Cant you just play without it?

they actually cant
I legit feel sorry for them

This summer.

It is, fuck all that extra program/sideways text nonsense.

It goes like this

>start up DF
>Remember I've done literally everything in it
>get sorta bored
>go to check devlog
>"Holy shit this feature looks so cool, now that I know its not in my current game it just feels that much more boring compared to the next version."
>Will to play dorf is kill

And then it repeats every few weeks.

Dfhack labor manager is a million times better than rapist for managing individual labors, but therapist is better for en masse labor management. Only thing I'd miss from therapist is being able to easily see the accurate physical attributes of each dwarf, so I can make sure my military is stocked with only the most robust of dwarves.

like what? i dont read devlogs, are we getting a new kind of wood

How many people must die before Toady updates the game

If toady just had a manual sorting function or different groups to sort in for dwarves and a way to assign labors to more than one dwarf at a time, I wouldn't even use DT.

people have been asking that very same question for almost 15 years now
Tales speak that there was a third dev and got kill

send him an email offering 1 blowjob for each hour he spends working to implement this feature

>implying Toady wants blowjobs from someone other than Zach or Scamps
lol

>Toady
>sexual stuff
nah

This

No, I live like a short drive away from his house.

no fucking way

How do you feel over the fact that he put your shithole on the map?

Silverdale isn't too bad, it could be worse. It could be Seattle.

We're getting secret agents and artifacts that people will fight over and NPC adventuring parties that will go on quests like the player does and also you'll be able to send squads of dorfs out of your fort to go and accomplish things.

Me again, this fucking madman just tried to fight the same guy again, got his ass kicked again and is in hospital, again

guy has started 4 fights and has been almost killed each time now