Bought car with rolled back odometer. what do?

bought car with rolled back odometer. what do?

Other urls found in this thread:

dmv.org/vehicle-history/odometer-fraud.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

how old is the car?

At a certain point, mileage is less important than consistent maintenance.

have anal sex with your mother.

10 years old. The real odometer is actually 300k. It was advertised as 100k. Stupid I know but I really needed a car then.

It was from private seller. I really want to sue but i'm not sure how strong my case is and if I'll even be able to collect judgment.

>buyer beware

If u can prove that it was in fact rolled back then youd have a good case.

It was advertised 100k though. Isn't that enough?

if it was advertised at 100k but had 300k, thats not a rollback m8 and its something you should have looked at before buying it.

No, the odometer read 100k. I checked carfax and it showed 300k record.

thats illegal as fuck m8

sue the shit out of that guy and use the money to get a gud car

I asked him and he said he bought it like that. I'm not really sure what to do. I paid $7k for it but I'm sure it's worth half that much.

if a nigger steals a bike then another nigger steals it from him and sells it to you it doesn't change the fact it's illegal

>checked carfax after buying
jesus christ user.

if he told you the mileage was incorrect before you bought it then you are right fucked m8.

enjoy your high mileage car i guess

How's that illegal? What law tells me not to touch odometer in my car?

>if he told you
How will op prove that he did not told him?
How will you prove that you told guy that your car is total trash but he bought it anyway and then had buyers remorse?

u wot

Odometer fraud, also referred to as odometer rollback, is the illegal act of changing or altering the mileage readings on a vehicle to make it appear to have a lower total mileage. In the United States, odometer fraud is a felony offense.
Examples of odometer fraud may involve:
Disconnection of the odometer.
Resetting the odometer in any way.
Altering the numbers.
Replacing the odometer from a vehicle without providing required notice.

That's the point you can't prove it without some kind of evidence. Anytime you buy a car you're buying it as is. So op is pretty much fucked

in the end what really matters is what the guy wrote on the title when he went to transfer it to op.

if he put 100k or whatever than yea op can sue his ass

Ayn Rand libertarian retard detected.

So if you are a fifth owner of the car and then you sell it and get sued for odometer fraud how will you prove it was not your handy work?

Federal Law says so bucko:

dmv.org/vehicle-history/odometer-fraud.php

Although if the vehicle is over ten years old then its no longer punishable.

>bought car with rolled back odometer. what do?
You have a winning case for refund as it is a major crime to sell rolled back. You got to be sure the mileage is absolutely stated in the sales sheet. Contact your state attorney general website for info on what to do. My state website has info and so you might also look at other state websites for ideas on odometer fraud.

Yeah I was stupid.

He didn't. Why would I pay $7k for a 300k cars?
I have my own title now(it's alredy transfered to my name). It shows 100k yet Carfax show strings of records leading up to 300k.

Because he sold me the car as a 100k car with said price.

>if the vehicle is over ten years old then its no longer punishable.
That's interesting. How old is OP's car?

Caveat emptor

>Because he sold me the car as a 100k car with said price.
So he probably could have bought it from another guy with 90k on odometer, right?

It's 2007. Is it 10 years old? I'm not sure. And If I threaten him to go the police if not refund, is it extortion?

HALP.

Sue. You'll win 100% of the time but you'll have to give the car back.

You'll spend more fighting than you'll ever recover.
Just deal with your life.

I don't care. I don't want to deal with this piece of junk.

your'e fucked.

Tell me, OP how badly steering wheel, pedals and seats are worn out?

>bought car with rolled back odometer.
Seller claiming he didn't know is no excuse. Not knowing the law is not an excuse. That is why someone that sells a car "as is" cannot be protected against odometer fraud. A contract cannot be used to eliminate the crime of odometer fraud.

Odometer rollback is serious fraud. It also creates safety problems since people change their maintenance and inspections based upon the odometer.

Shame. Shame. Shame.

What if i sell car without odometer and say niggers stole it?

Is there any consumer lawyer that is willing to help me? Will the AG take up my case since it's only couple of grands in damage?

It's pretty worn out but this was my first time purchasing my own car so I couldn't tell the difference.

Again you're fucked, it might be worth calling a lawyer if you feel that you have a case but its past the limit of the law.

File the claim.
You don't need a lawyer for small claims civil case.

Well fuck you for not being cautious, welcome to the real world, jackass.

>not putting 7k on a new car

not just buying a 7k car

WEW LAD

I barely drive 15miles a day anyway so it'd be a waste.

thats what OP did and look what happened

WWWEEEWWW

>not getting 3 y.o. Toyota
wew

>waste

buying a fucking 300k mile truck is more of a waste user.

You can do whatever the fuck you want with your odo. The law comes in when you sell it.

Yea, I fucked up. I'll try calling Consumer Lawyer tomorrow and see what happen.

>see what happen
Large nose will poke out of your phone, that's what.

Does it have an odometer discrepancy on the title?

truth, my truck just hit 300k and it feels like it

idles like shit, shifts like shit looks like shit rides like shit

still runs though and i still use it to haul shit, but i sure as shit wouldnt buy a vehicle with 300k on it

>
It showed 100k(what the seller claimed) on the title. 300k on Carfax

the less miles a car has the more value it holds. this isnt always the case but generally speaking it is. no such thing as waste to buy a new-ish car and only drive it a few miles a day. next time dont fall for the used car maymay.

>dont fall for the used car maymay
Maybe just don't be a fool and check carfax before buying?

roll it forwards again

>It showed 100k(what the seller claimed) on the title. 300k on Carfax

What's the whole Carfax look like? If it has lots of 100k+ reports it may be jacked, but if one person somewhere was trying to type in 31k and hit 310k instead it will look jacked up. CarFax doesn't QC.

Take it to small claims court. You won't need a lawyer if you have obvious proof.

He said the interior is trashed, should not be in 100k car.
So far OP just told us story but showed no proof so we are discussing theoretical bullshit over here.

What kind of car is it? I feel like this is important...300k on a toyota I'd say live with it, but 300k on some POS I'd say drive it off a cliff ASAP and collect insurance.

Bump

The car fax have history from service every 6 months or so, leading up the the 300k milage, if that makes sense.

Honda.

I couldn't tell the differences in interios since

bump

So you're really gonna tell me youd pay 7k for 300k mileage? I don't care if it's a fucking corolla, that car is on its last legs

>fell for the mileage meme

Surely it will be much more hassle than its worth trying to rectify this? If the seller pleads ignorance and says he bought the car like that and didn't know until you told him then there is fuck all you can do about it and proving otherwise will be a nightmare.The legal fees associated with chasing this will negate any compensation, not to mention the time and effort involved.

It isn't the end of the world. $7k is not that much in the grand scheme of things, chalk it up to experience and move on. And in future, do checks BEFORE buying the car.

You 'needed' a car and paid 7k. God damn, you could have bought a fucking civic for 1k.

Check if engine is swapped.
Then check vin.

>all these fags telling you to live with it
Go file a claim or talk to an attorney, federal law says that if it's eligible you are reimbursed your attorney and lawyer fees if you win.
>but they can't prove he did it
They can prove he sold it without disclosing accurate information, akin to a grocery store selling spoiled milk.
If you sell a stolen car you are not innocent of the crime, you are charged or included in the charge.

That's called odometer fraud, OP. You can take legal action.

surely he'd say he didn't do it, and op rolled the clock back himself

It's amazing how many low mileage MK1 Ford Ka's are around.

I guess even Ford never expected them to get more than 99,999km

In Michigan, if the car is over 10years old the secretary of state doesnt give a shit about mileage.

There is a box next to the mileage on the title that needs to be checked if the number is not accurate. You may have a case if he wrote down the moleage and didn't check the box.

What car
How much