/domg/ Dominions General

Who knew this was the official artwork?-edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuklearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first
>Die and join the ranks of brave skeletons

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Previous Pantokrator

Other urls found in this thread:

dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=AbsoluteMAdMAn
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=FrogAndToad
drive.google.com/file/d/0B4FvijWNFs7UMmVkQ2JoSXk5YWs/view
youtube.com/watch?v=nCQXD7kokzw
youtube.com/user/Maerlande2/videos
youtube.com/user/tokshen
youtube.com/user/itsmu
youtube.com/user/Alcoway
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Tell me captain, if the Federation is so good, why are there no good Dominion 4 OP images?

There are, but OP's a faggot, as usual.

R8 my Yomi pretender
>N9 Bless
>E4 for Reinvig
>A5 for bags of wind/gale gate (debating leaving this at a A4 because as awesome as fog warriors is 50 gem dual booster Dai Tengu's are crazy expensive.)
>Turmoil for the Oni boost
>Luck to make the best of Turmoil and to meme
>Magic to get my midgame on ASAP
>Imprisoned since most major things I'll have this guy do won't be till around year 3 anyway (this one I'm not sure on because it would be nice to have a vine shield crafter for early thugging.

I've never have played Yomi before also so I have been trying to figure out how you're supposed to get to Dai Tengu native (or if it's even worth summoning them). I see they're self summoning and also an A2 Dai Oni can summon them.

But an A2 dai oni seems pretty rare. Is it worth empowering an A1 Dai Oni to A2 to summon them if you have a lot of air gems? I mean 500 gold and 30 air gems for a A2/D3/F2/E2/H1 chasis seems like a bargain compared to some nations thug options.

needs luck 3

Where can I watch the Community Clash?

Doesn't making it watchable make it super easy for other players to cheat?

How should I gear up Golems as MA R'lyeh (no summod)? I'll be using the helm slot for the astral booster for teleport.

Oh, and what are the best things to Wish for?

Wish for friends, it'll teleport land-breathing units onto your underwater capital.

Ahaha. Does it just choose x units at random? Any commanders? This sounds hilarious.

I have no idea, but it happens.

>Debug Mod:
>For testing battle formations and spells
>dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

Desura backup is kill my friend

It's the entire population of a province AND every single unit stationed there. To be clear, that includes every commander and mage. Units incapable of teleportation may be immune but I doubt it.

We're going to need better OP images if these threads are going to survive.

we need more unironic dominions fanart

mistformed tuatha facing scared shitless chaff when

There's a lot of decent art already; we just don't use it

Because Babylon 5 is better

I love this pic.

dump down to sloth 2, grab luck 3 magic 3
otherwise p good. Remember all you will be recruiting is 1 res demons or 4 res bakemono archers.
If you are taking the A5 almost entirely for fog warriors, I would say don't bother. Lategame yomi is mediocre at taking large armies to the battle, mostly because you are very good at casting RoS and you can easily make armies of dai oni + oni general and be immune. Fog warriors does let you take a greater variety of troops to battle, and if you can get a good blob of Shikome they will be very nasty with fog warriors + nature 9 + end of weakness/marble warriors + strength of giants.
Another way to approach fog warriors is E/S combo on your pretender. S indie mages are reasonably common (lizards and crystal amazons) and you can do some very fun communion tricks (earthpower + soul vortex + ironskin + phoenix pyre on your slaves is nice)

Stale your turns.

will do senpai

If I were talented would I be playing Dominions?

>it's an "only one guy in the game roleplays" episode

>it's a 'got bored of roleplaying after five turns and switched to communicating only in memes' teaser-trailer

Masuyuki couldn't sleep. He could barely eat; only half his bodyweight most days (more on weekends and mandatory drinking days). The army doc called it, ''A perfectly regular case of battle fright, nothi'' before Masuyuki swiftly and brutally killed the psychologist and devoured his body. Unfortunately, a bakemono called Beebo Grouwzer who had a habit for ground up astral pearls heard this heated exchange, and word got out. That was how you end up in some shithole, sitesearching and doing menial summoning tasks while the rest of the dai oni got to kill stuff.

In reality, it was worse than Masuyuki dared admit. Terrifying dreams haunted him. Toothless old men cackling at him and screeching, ''Dai Oni make poor super-combatants!'' Or the even worse one, about the bakemono rising up, creating their own governmental system, and the era of oni superiority coming to an end. He shuddered just to think of them

Reminder that your fourthturning turn would be here already if it wasn't for Ur.

But if I attack him, he'll probably ask it to be set to 48 hours.

He can ask, but will need a majority for it to be delivered.

Not going to lie those Dai Oni did a number on me, but not as supercombatants, but supercasters

One day Masuyuki was playing strip poker with the bane lord he had summoned a few weeks earlier. They were telling each other about all the badass wars and stuff they had done, and drinking heavily. Suddenly, a massive rephaite fell from the sky about a hundred meters away. Mauyuki set about summoning as many skeletons as he could, as quickly as he could. With him, the bane lord, and some skeletons, he felt they might be able to take this guy. The giant called upon the blessing of Semeyaza, and surrounded himself with a shield of magical fire. Then he flew over all the skeletons, and started trying to stab Masuyuki in the face. The bane lord quietly slunk away, before either the rephaite or Masuyuki could notice.
Masuyuki cursed his crap equipment. A skull staff, some weightless chainmail, and some flying shoes. Not ideal for a combat situation. The rephaite, for his part, was adorned with glowing jewelry, a baroque enchanted chestplate with matching helmet, and a sword which spewed gouts of flame. All of this, he was using to try to kill Masuyuki.

The skeleton hordes had caught up to the melee, and set about surrounding the Melqart and taking cheap pot shots. This he barely noticed, as his shield unraveled itself from his arm and set about immobilizing the skeletons with snaking tendrils of vine. The giant grinned at Masuyuki, as if to say;
It's just you and me.
Masuyuki punched him in the gut, his hand wreathed in pure energy. Surprisingly, this worked spectacularly, and a miniature geyser of pulped organs and blood sprayed from the giants back. Masayuki stepped back, then noticed with dawning horror the speed at which the hole was filling itself. The giant barely seemed phased at all, though Masuyuki noticed that he carried himself in a more defensive stance. He would need a distraction to do that again. The giant steadily rained blows on him, but he dodged them effortlessly, using his staff to turn aside some blows, ducking or juking others. Masuyuki swung hard, and connected with the giants head. It staggered back, and Masuyuki knew it was time to act. The skeletons, as one, grasped the vines connecting to the shield and pulled. It wasn't much, but just enough to pull it even more off balance. This was what Masayuki needed. He raced forward, his hand already glowing with energy, and uppercut the giant. The giants face was disintegrated, and the brain just visible through the shattered skull. One of the skeletons had climned the giants back, and now placed a rusty dagger against the brain. Already the face of the giant was half healed, one eye regenerated from nothing, the mouth and teeth reforming. The flowing flesh held the dagger in place, and Masuyuki needed no more invitation. He slammed his skull staff down on hilt of the dagger with all his might, and the giant dropped dead.
As Masuyuki placed the dragon helmet on his head, he felt his faith in Dai Oni supercombatants return. He had done it.

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=AbsoluteMAdMAn

Needs one more

I'll join as the last player in MAdMAn. How do I build a Shinuyama pretender?

good post desu senpai

Actually, forget Shinuyama I'm going to try Atlantis.

Game starto.

Good luck, nerds.

Not in this game you're not. Sorry kohai.
I'll start another one if you want, though. MA Atlantis needs to be played more, if only to highlight how shitty its troops are

beh, don't worry. I'll catch the next one.

Yeah, but if enough other people still want to play, I don't mind making the 'next one' right now.

I'm only in the one game right now so I'll play. But I don't think anybody else has been expressing interest in new games recently.

Imprisoned F4E4D5B2 Bakemono Kunshu w dom 8 and scales is pretty good. Minor E and D bless are good for your big sacred shamans (D bless helps with keeping diseased ones alive. In general use all shamans for combat or sitesearching, ubas are your labrats). F4 because it is cheap and Ench 6 is a given in year 3 for Shinu that is doing at all ok.
You can get O3S2H3G3L3
Alternatively;
Imprisoned E6S6 Nyorai.
You get 3 extra scales. Great for taking less sloth or magic scales. Bless is good for your shamans, but without disease protection of death bless. The extra reinvigoration and MR is better for your shamans who have cast hidden heart. Whether hidden heart is good or not is hard to say. The requirement for an unforted temple mountain is pretty hard to satisfy, and also makes it apparent where to go to kill it. On the other hand, you can build a fort on it afterwards. You can get shamans from lab+temple mountains, but it feels like weak synergy. All in all, it is a little tricky to use, but a 16 gem immortal with Bakemono shaman paths is hard to beat in gemcost.
Finally ignore all this and take an earth snek.

If I do go Shinuyuma soon I might try one of these. Is Sloth bearable? Aren't Dai-Bakemono expensive in resources?

>not posting pretender names

this game is so fun and complex but sometimes its kinda overwhelming, still love it. i wanted a strategy game with deep mechanics and gameplay to fill the boredom and make my crippling depression bearable but sometimes i am like hours thinking, reading the manual, checking dom4inspector and mulling over all the possibilities when playing a nation. i always learn something new, how do you deal with the overwhelmingly large quantity of information?
also sorry for the bloglike-post.

I have a job that involves overwhelmingly large quantity of information every day. Dom4 lets me relax and turn my brain off.

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=FrogAndToad

New game for MA Atlantis to have fun.

Pologio is banned

Is this you?

>game is named FrogAndToad
>zero caves for toads to make their good mages
gg

You're right. We cave rhinos now

biggame4u

To answer your question, you can actually reasonably expand with Kappa, but you can also actually get something out of not-sloth 3, unlike Yomi which basically only gets yet more of its 4res archers.

So, is it normal for Agartha to not be underground? Really roused me by swapping the mapfile at the last second.

It's the same map

>Do 20 tests confirming the start in the caves 100% of the time
>game starts
>this is no longer the case

Somehow I doubt this.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B4FvijWNFs7UMmVkQ2JoSXk5YWs/view

Was this the map you used to test? Because that's the map that is being used in the game.

Yup.

Well...

I don't know what to tell you about your start and tests, because that's exactly the map.

Really strange. Well, this will turn out either really well, or really poorly.

Just hope I'm not next to the cancer.

won't anybody please post the pretender memes?

Figured out what the issue is. The bonehead who made the map only set 1 cave start, when really there should have been 3 (4/5/3 all share the same number of land connections).

And since that cave has a throne, it made it impossible to spawn in caves. Thanks map maker.

Why are thrones even placed before players?

No clue, I didn't even know they were before this game. I bet that fucks up a lot of pre placements to be honest.

It was Elmokki.

I'm willing to do a restart, but there's I think 2 cave provinces on the northern end of the map so you shouldn't be THAT far from one or the other if you need caves to do your premium strat

Eh, a quick restart would be nice - its mostly certain things were decided in pretender selection based on a certain start loc (looks toward sloth scales)

The effective -10% income hit hurts too though. I was more just initially shocked it could happen at all, since I didn't know thrones were placed before players.

You got it my dude.

Are you guys not posting pretender names just to hurt my feelings?

I'm not playing in this game.

Thank you very much. In exchange, I promise not to bid like 200g on the mercs like I planned on initially.

The pretenders.

H-he's fast with that S3...

>Mari's pretender is named The Pannion Domin
>Sy's quadbless Mari was named The Pannion Domin
I'd rather start next to Ermor, desu

Don't worry. I'm not playing

Imma just say that I'm not Sy, but you're not wrong about wanting to start next to Ermor.

how much of a hp and strength boost do you get when you cast Enlarge?

The manual is a bit shit, but it and CONTRL-f are good.
I don't have manual or I'd post the answer.

Marignon you slow bastard you bottleneck us every turn.

Just kill him ingame.

Just kill him in real life.

just let real life kill him

I honestly dont get why Nazca isnt used more often.
They are fun as fuck and good.

expansion is difficult so people get discouraged from playing them when they test them out

I have an idea to make Atlantis work at least somewhat decently. I'll upload tomorrow. Nobody take them.

>Who knew this was the official artwork?-edition
Fucking everyone.

This better be some meme I'm not getting.

5 minutes Marignon you fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

just kill.

What the fuckshit is this advice. How does Undying-in-battles keep your idiots alive against disease. How the fuck does this shinu expand, with what, dai baks in sloth to a massive 6 provinces? regular baks dying to every kind of indie? Is that a goddamn dai oni summoner god? Order when you're clearly going up conj and therefore want to be able to summon oni? Building shammies but no Magic? Or do you mean sorcs?

sfhjdfkldsjaklsfjhispjeapodjkldgjsskjaakljgshlafsk

A fucking random event flipped the dom on my cap.
Fuck this game. I was totally making a comeback.

it's not so big and you can always use the dominions 4 mod inspector to browse content when you need it.

what you really need to learn are what are the most used spells, but you will quickly learn it after a few turns.

t. MokouMarignon

hello /domg/.
i want to start doing commentary and uploading shitty videos on youtube as my new game start.
what programs should i use on my craptop?
what kind of setup and format do you suggest?

how do i get over the fact my voice is cringey and i only have bad mics?

Your voice?

Confidence and talking to yourself. I understand the two do not usually go together.

Bluntly: don't pull a Sy and warble all over the place. Although Sy manages to pull his warbling off because it's cute.

>bad mics
Get a good one. They're cheap enough.

Dunno about software, but as for format it would probably be better to do a video for each turn after you've done it, so you can cut out the twenty minutes of carefully spacing communion slaves on the battlefield and just show the interesting bits.

You'll also definitely want at least a five or six turn delay on videos compared to where the game is actually at, otherwise you're giving information to your enemies.

I really like Nazca but already played it twice and I don't want to become Cirno.
When is waifu-ing a nation acceptable?

>how do i get over the fact my voice is cringey and i only have bad mics?

Do this.

youtube.com/watch?v=nCQXD7kokzw

Don't.

We have those already. What we need are in-depth discussions about decision making. About making nation builds and pretender builds, about judging units and commanders. About basic strategies like thugs/SCs, too. We don't even have those -- I had to figure that out through the power of this general's memery.
Genius.

>We have those already
no we don't. you can count english MP games uploads on the fingers of two hands hand, probably most nations aren't covered more than once.

>What we need are in-depth discussions about decision making. About making nation builds and pretender builds, about judging units and commanders. About basic strategies like thugs/SCs, too. We don't even have those -- I had to figure that out through the power of this general's memery.

we have some of those and i intend to talk about those topics along the video, but i can't help it if i am a shitter and the actualy 5 pros we have don't make videos.

I meant that they existed, not that we did not need any more. More would be good, just not as good as more tutorial-focused content.

I haven't seen those. D'you mind linking them?

>youtube.com/user/Maerlande2/videos
>youtube.com/user/tokshen
>youtube.com/user/itsmu
>youtube.com/user/Alcoway

>Maerlande2
>itsmu
>Alcoway (Sy)
These all do what you want to do.
>Tokshen
Same with him, except I also heard he has no idea what he's talking about.