Based in-laws are giving me their '86 Monte Carlo as long as I never sell it. Its a cream puff, so mechanical all good...

Based in-laws are giving me their '86 Monte Carlo as long as I never sell it. Its a cream puff, so mechanical all good. Recommend me some good upgrades, Veeky Forums that'll suit the car from now on. I'm white, so no ghetto shit.

I can already tell I'm changing those wheels (probably to spokes), whitewalled tires & tinting those windows.

Other urls found in this thread:

schwartzperformance.com/1978-1988-g-body-monte-carlo-chassis/
yearone.com/Product/wheels/nw1784slvs
youtube.com/watch?v=6BBUhFwMpJU
retromanufacturing.com/products/1985-88-chevrolet-monte-carlo-newport-1-5-din-direct-fit-radio?variant=31559040782
chevrolet.com/performance/fuel-newsletter/2014/issue3.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The only thing you should do is tint the windows, have the clear coat redone if it's not perfect, and exchange any trim piece or cloth that shows any wear.

Keep that shit in pristine stock condition, and treat her right afterwards. She'll be a peach.

>no ghetto shit
>tinting those windows

>I'm white
383 swap, carbureted, built T-350, converter, 3.73 rear gear, factory exhaust and appearance

Far from ghetto. Have you even SEEN what nigs do to rides like these??

What this guy said, keep it mint.

Tinting a G-Body screams "I'm either drug dealing white trash or a drug dealing nigger, why don't you stop me and find out?"

Even the audio system?? I imagine the stock systems in these old cars sound like total shit.

Then again, there's something very off-putting about new fangled electronics in old cars. They stick out like a sore thumb.

sell it and buy a honda

Replace the factory speakers with better aftermarket ones that are the same size but keep the factory head unit. Hide a Bluetooth receiver somewhere in the dash that way you wont be stuck w just a radio.

I wouldn't worry about a sub unless you get one small enough to hide in the trunk somewhere.

>G-body
oh the things I would do to it...

Personally OP, just swap in a 350 and start saving up. Once you have about 20-30k saved up, drop that thing on a Schwartz Chassis.
schwartzperformance.com/1978-1988-g-body-monte-carlo-chassis/
>Rack and pinion Steering
>based Ford 9" rear or IRS

Those are things (specifically the IRS, and rack and pinion steering) you can't do with a normal G-body frame. The geometry won't allow for it.

While a 350 V8 will assure you can build whatever the fuck you want. I recommend a 1986+ 350 for the 1 piece rear main seal that's less prone to leaking. Power-wise, 1996-2003 Vortec 5.7's might be the best choice. The Vortec heads on those are essentially LT1 heads for normal gen 1 SBC's.

>no ghetto shit

>spokes

I believe he means the car has steelies and he wants alloys.

454 big block is the only correct answer in this thread.

>lets make the handling even worse than it already is!

>m-muh handling

This. Steelies on this just doesn't suit it.

>buying a G-body for anything besides absolute maximum acceleration
>buying any GM or American car from the 1970s or 1980s for handling

Haven't you heard? All cars should be slow as shit but have semi-decent handling. Miata, brz, aw11 etc

Imo the 350 suits the car better, and has good potential.

>tint the windows
He said no ghetto shit

>They don't know what a small block is capable of
>slutsdyingoflaughter.jpg

whats wrong with tinted windows faggot.

keeps the sun out
keeps bro trucks with bright ass lights from blinding the shit out of you
keeps nignogs from seeing whats in your car
looks pretty gud

and if you are white you can have limo tints and never get ticketed

>spokes
FUCK NO. Put some Centerlines on that motherfucker. It'll look sick!

A nice radio would be killer, but for the love of God, don't cut the dash. Get an Old School Alpine or Kenwood tape deck. With a tape deck, it's easy to hack for an aux input. You just solder some wires to the back of the tape head inside of the deck. There's instructions all over the 'Net on how to do this. Don't go overboard, either. Get some 6.5" and tweeters in some Q-Forms kickpanels. It'll look dead fucking stock. In the back, a single 10" sub, all of which run off of a nice 4 channel amp, and you're golden.

>white you can have limo tints and never get ticketed
Depend entirely on car and location. Tinted Monte Carlo is ghetto-tastic everywhere all the time. Tinted new Mercedes on the upscale side of town is barely acceptable. That same Mercedes in 5 years in the same location means a home invasion is about to go down.

Face it, niggers have ruined tint like they've ruined scores of cool cars.

This is the type of tape deck you should get. Pretty much any Alpine 2 shaft, this is a 7168, but there were lots, or if you want a Kenwood, a KRC-3006 actually controlled a CD Changer. I *think* that Kenwood was the only 2 shaft stereo ever made by anybody that had that feature.

OP here. I tend to agree. Tenting these old G bodies just seems like the thing to do. Plus, the paint is already slick black (in-laws had it professionally done a year ago). It doesn't look it in the pics because its got water streaks from misty rainy weather.

Same with the white walls. Sorry, I'm not letting ghetto trash have those two. We had em first.

They come in shiny alloy?

t h i s

They're aluminum. A little elbow grease with some Mother's and they shine really nicely. Those particular ones just haven't been paid attention to in a while.

What a load of crap

This is 1000% a niggermobile.
You might as well go full retard and donk/lowrider it, there'll be no difference to cops and most other people anyways.

as long as he doesn't put 20" rims on it and hang a chandelier inside, it's pretty safe.

Barges are best stock. Don't fuck it up.

There's a fine line between niggermobile & old people car. It depends on where you are a lot & what you do to it. The people that drove this are in E Kentucky (not a nigger around for literally a hundred miles at least).

Anyways, I promise not to cross the threshold.

Moar!

>A nice radio would be killer, but for the love of God, don't cut the dash.
What if you get a reproduction dash and cut that in order to fit one of those Joying android headunits?

>This is 1000% a niggermobile.
and if you go the pro touring route like pic related?
There is pro touring aftermarket for them and is seems to be a trend that's white people only.

Pic related,

I've always been partial to the 80's stock car look for these older GMs. I think it looks much better than the other alternative which is to build a Pro-Touring, wannabe modern Camaro/Corvette.

Hey, OP. Why not a set of Yearone N90 wheels? They are 17" wheels that look identical, other than being bigger, to the original Monte Carlo SS wheels. But the larger 17" wheels allows it to use more modern tires and fit larger brakes while still looking original.
yearone.com/Product/wheels/nw1784slvs
Yearone even sells "Chevrolet" centercaps for them.

>17's
Not just no, but FUCK no. Big wheels on classic cars are retard level fucked in the head looking.

15's and only 15's. Not even 16's look good.

There's steel behind there. You can replace the bezel, but the steel subframe will be permanently destroyed.

Get a two knob. There ain't nothing wrong with them, and I'm telling you, people who know will be more impressed with a classic Alpine in that car than any Tron Had an Abortion piece of shit that you'll likely shove in there.

just throw the stereo in the fucking glove box and leave the factory one alone

OP, you should tint the windows. Don't go negro dark but just enough to be practical. It'll help protect the interior too. Maybe upgrade the sound system, nothing crazy though. Put whatever wheels you want but invest in good tires. Maybe look into the suspension and adjusting the ride height JUST A LITTLE. That car will make a good highway/town cruiser.

>i'm white
dirt track car

>17's are big now
wut.
they look near identical to the older wheels, but you can use modern tires. Which are a huge step up from the 15's.
youtube.com/watch?v=6BBUhFwMpJU

35% tint will look fabulous. It's just dark enough to notice and make a difference in daily driving, but not stupid looking.

if you're going to put new speakers, you can get retro-styled head units that wont look weird. Don't have experience with them, but would recommend getting one so the audio won't sound weird. Sub is fine, if you put it in a box and mount the amp somewhere that won't damage the interior.

There are plenty of 15's easily available that look great. P215/65R15's on that car are the absolute perfect size tire.

What about these? They look close enough to factory can come with everything but a touch screen, wifi, and anything ios or android related.

That's still a DIN sized deck, which means you still have to cut the dash to fit it. Uncool.

I forgot the fucking link.
retromanufacturing.com/products/1985-88-chevrolet-monte-carlo-newport-1-5-din-direct-fit-radio?variant=31559040782

thats pretty cool, but idk how much you'd be willing to spend. 400 bucks for a head is pretty expensive imo.

true, would not recommend this specific one. I was just pointing out that you can get styled units.

See:
There's the available retro styled unit.

Did the 86 have a DIN and a half opening like that? I thought for sure they hadn't done the switch by then and were still on 2-knob. If it's the big square radio and not the two knob, then the sky's the limit. Throw whatever you want to in there.

>Did the 86 have a DIN and a half opening like that?
85-88 they did. Technically 1.5 DIN.

Sell it and buy a 4 speed monte ss if you're going to mod it. Otherwise keep it stock

Get a license plate that reads "THECAPN" and get your Jesse Pinkman on, yo.

Well slap my ass and call me Sally.

OP: buy whatever you want. It's all cool. Just spend the $20 on a fit kit and a harness adapter. Or buy your shit from Crutchfield, and they'll throw it in for free.

>monte ss
>4 speed
Literally doesn't exist.

You can grab the pedal set out of a 78-82 A body like a Malibu though. It's a direct bolt-in swap.

>Well slap my ass and call me Sally.
now get on the bed. Ass up, face down.

There have been a couple on my local Craigslist

>383 and TH350
>not Vortec 5.3L or 6.0L and 200-R4

ok

[citation needed]

>383
confirmed for hating revs.
I'd build an SBC 302, but that's me. BTW, The 302 s a 350/327 block with a 283 crankshaft essentially. They're been known to rev over 8k

Which engine did it come with, OP?

15s have by far the best tire selection until you get to 18"+, thanks to cars like the Miata, MR2, etc.

LS swap the 305 v8 they normally have is a tired boat anchor. so it all stays under the hood. the great thing aobut the monte is its a B - body GM.

>B-body

No. B-body is the RWD Impala/Caprice. Pic related.

Monte Carlo was A-body when it was a fuckhuge land yacht in the early-mid 70s. Then from 78-88 it was G-body.

Except revs costs lots of money.

Worse, you're not spinning the shit out of hydraulic rollers without knocking the roller bearings out of them. So that means either solid rollers, which have terrible durability on the street, or solid flat tappets which are better on the street but still won't live past 50K miles and probably not 10K if you're after best performance. Spring rates for high revs are a killer.

revving from 7-8k is doable on a street budget. hydraulic rollers generally hit the limit at 8k so you can still make a screamer of a V8 that's streetable. Any higher though and you might as well just swap in an LT5.

>Monte Carlo was A-body when it was a fuckhuge land yacht in the early-mid 70s. Then from 78-88 it was G-body.
Yes and no.
78-81 were still called the A-body. Then in 1982, GM came out with the FWD A-body Celebrity, Cutlass Ciera, and Century. So the RWD A-body was then renamed to the G-body to avoid confusion.

The G-body name was also later used to designate a FWD chassis.

I would tell them to keep it.

>and if you are white you can have limo tints and never get ticketed

You will in Virginia. They give no fucks and toss out tickets like crazy no matter what skin color you are.

bump for OP and G-body discussion

They're insisting I take it & wanna do something nice for us. I told them to keep an eye out for a box Chevy (c10 & such) or a classic big body, "mom" got wind of it & said to take her car.

She even got vanity plates for this for herself so I'm not gonna be rude. Wanted to pay & they won't let me.

ignore that guy. There's a LOT you can do with a G-body. As the previous user mentioned, the way to not nigger it is to go after the Pro Touring style, which means updated the mechanicals to perform at modern level.

Here's one Chevrolet themselves did back around 2014/2015 to promote a new crate engine, the LS376, which was based on the LS3 6.2L V8.
chevrolet.com/performance/fuel-newsletter/2014/issue3.html

I know a black dude who did this but with a Hurst/Olds. Guy runs a garage here in DC.

>monte carlo
>ever

sounds alright. Remember. There's a big difference between black guys, and niggers.

G-bodies used 1.5 DIN head units, so it should be fine.

Op, I'd definately say a 350 and fuel injection of you're a real man, then intake, exhaust, heads, tune.

Also, you can keep the stock bumper covers for a stealth feel, or replace the front cover with pic related and a duckbill spoiler in the back.

>I'm white, so no ghetto shit.
>I'm changing those wheels (probably to spokes)
>no ghetto shit

i don't know what to say.