How many units they would have sold if instead of the 1.3 Genesis rotary engine they had used a 2.0 or even a 3.0?

How many units they would have sold if instead of the 1.3 Genesis rotary engine they had used a 2.0 or even a 3.0?
Also,is it that bad?

The Renesis is the best na rotary made
Capable of 260hp with exhaust, injectors and tune. Stock intake manifold
Lasts 200k+ miles with literally nothing but oil and spark plug changes

Compared to the 13brew which in the series 6 rx7 made 255hp and caught on fire

You mean a 20B? Or like a 155 BHP 2.0L 4 banger?

Whole purpose of renesis was to have ultra lightweight engine for mah weight distribution.

Renesis had all sorts of problems with side seals because they don't get lubrication like the the apex seals and the side port exhaust design makes the seals work a lot harder than the freer flowing peripheral exhaust.

SkyActiv actually weighs less than Renesis. The new 16X rotary is supposed to use aluminum end housings instead of iron, so it will be around 100 pounds lighter.

> 200k+ miles
quotation needed,honestly all I've read until now gives me the idea these engines need care
>
I was thinking a more generic one,but I guess a RB20 would have been a great deal
Yeah I realized it because the weight is a great advantatge of this engine,and even with that in mind the rx8 is fat

is an rx8 a good first rotary if i want to learn about them and work on them? car will not be my daily so not too concerned on reliability

That or an FC- whichever you can get cleaner/cheaper (both if possible). Definitely stay away from the turbo models until you have some experience. You can always add an aftermarket turbo and make way more horsepower in the end.

If you can find a clean GTU or GTUs FC for cheap, jump on it.

Of course they need care. They are a highly strung engine.
But if you are willing to premix on a new engine, replace or upgrade your coils and pay attention to the little things it needs like going easy while it's warming up and redlining once a drive then they will last for in excess of 200000miles.
Many documented cases on the forums where the owners just follow some basic guidelines for them

I thought it was better to swap in a turbo rotary than turbo an N/A?

Nah, the stock turbos in both the FC and FD are tiny, so a lot of owner just upgrade their fuel system and swap the turbo(s) for something they can run at a much higher psi. The stock turbos in the FD (pre '99) can only handle about 12psi. The complexity of the sequential system is the main reason to not put the stock twins back in if they ever need to be removed.

>200k miles
>rotary

Happens all the time troll

You can still turbo an N/A rotary, they have less potential and slightly more complexity due to the 6 port design.

>Wikipedia
Ok then

I find the implication that anyone at Mazda was seriously considering putting a 15 year old engine in their brand new flagship sports car highly suspect.

>15 year old engine

Mazda still produces brand new housings and irons for 13b's and 20b's, they stopped making 12a housings in 2009.

Rotary tech hasn't progressed a whole lot, they could have reused the 13brew and no one would have given a shit except the epa.

>happens all the time

To one guy in a thread on rx8 club from 6 years ago.

And one other in Germany who religiously got compression checks and replaced apex seals when compression got low.

>rips image from thread, doesn't even change the photo bucket file name.

i would be driving one right now if it came with the mazdaspeed 3 engine

So youre just gonna choose to ignore all the other ones?
Ok
Stay ignorant

>Mazda still produces brand new housings and irons for 13b's and 20b's
Yes, they make them in short production runs for racecars.

>Rotary tech hasn't progressed a whole lot
Clearly you know nothing about rotary engines if you think the 13B-MSP didn't make a hell of a lot of changes from the REW.

>and no one would have given a shit except the epa.
That kind of counts for a lot. Plus, because of the way tax credits and shit work, they're a lot better off putting in an Ultra Low Emissions certified engine than a decades-old gas guzzler from a $100,000 luxury barge that never passed through US emissions testing.

And really, did you ever for a moment think Mazda would spend over 10 years designing a new engine and then say "oops, it's shit. I guess we'll just use the old one instead." If that ever happened, the RX-8 would have been cancelled and everyone involved in its development would have been fired (and then hung themselves). That's the way things work in Japan.

just ignore the retards
their only knowledge or ''experience'' is what they read in youtube comment sections or their highschool car meme page

Yeah most people on here exaggerate the amount of miles their favourite engine lasts

and everyone exaggerates the unreliability of rotaries because they are dead shits
the 12a and 4 port 13bs are 200k mile engines. this literally cannot be refuted
the renesis is also a 200k mile engine, but the amount of blithering fools (middle aged woman, brain dead brodudes, ignorant people in general) who are unable to change their oil more frequently than 10,000 miles or wait until operating temp is reached before limiter bashing creates a narrative that they arent bulletproof.

fun fact: the renesis lasts SEASONS in star mazda without a single hiccup before they start to slowly lose compression

its looks had more to do to its failure than the engine

just look at it.

Only reason people even buy RX-8s now is because they're poor man's RX-7, and they are cheap for a reason.

>Also,is it that bad?
it's by far the best sportscar for the price you can find

Uhhh.. it sold really well. The first 3 years of sales were great.

But it would have been better if they had the bugs fixed before it launched.
And if it was a 3 rotor with some sort of cycle/rotor deactivation to improve fuel economy.