What was life like for servants in 1800's early 1900's in Britain?

What was life like for servants in 1800's early 1900's in Britain?

How common was full time live in servants?

What was social interaction like between servants and their bosses?

Would they commonly become friendly or would the class system not allow it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/results?q=servants britain documentary
youtu.be/7h-sNcwUSHk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I always wondered if servants of the well to do were seen as below, equal or better than the common people

Just watch downton abbey or some shit. Damn.

youtube.com/results?q=servants britain documentary
Here's a few hours of entertainment for you

I'd say the movie "Gosford Park" (written by the same guy as Downton Abbey) is a more realistic representation of the times.

Also, check out PBS' "Manor House" semi-reality show.

KEPT WOMEN
E
P
T

W
O
M
E
N

wat

You know the men had them dress in those cute uniforms for their sexual pleasure

work work work work work, then when some guy finally gets you pregnant you either marry him or go live in the slums

The uniforms were too cute

How does the British class system work?

Prossies specifically for NEETs.

>you'll never be a sickly young aristocrat with a personal maid in her twenties who tenderly cares for you, cuddles with you and fucks your goddamn brains out

How easy was class mobility?

I happen to be somewhat knowledgeable on this fascinating topic, so I will try to answer you.

>What was life like for servants in 1800's early 1900's in Britain?

It was a hard and thankless job, similarly to all other employment prospects available to low-class people. In a way, it was better though. They had a stable employment, roof over their heads and ate regularly, which was by no means guaranteed at that time. The pay was forgettable though, especially for lower grade servants.

>How common was full time live in servants?

Rather common. Before house appliances became common, all house works and chores had to be done manually. Therefore public institutions, rich people, even middle-class people hired servants. Often many sets of servants were employed. A wealthy nobleman would, for example, employ full staff in his townhouse in London, full staff in his countryhouse and several servants in his other residences.

>What was social interaction like between servants and their bosses?

What do you mean by "social interaction"? A good servant was expected to be polite, hear and understand everything directed towards them and fore-mostly keep their mouth shut.

Although there were, as usual, deviations from the norm, there was little space for familiarity. A master usually didn't care about his servants too much. They were often little thought of as more than replaceable house appliances. Servants, on the other hand, dreaded of being fired. Being fired usually meant the end of any career prospects, because no one would hire a house servant who cannot produce good references from previous employer.

cont.

continued

>Would they commonly become friendly or would the class system not allow it?

Again, it depends of what we consider as friendship. Old William who was the household's trusted butler for 45 years, could be considered a well-liked fixture, even friend. Perhaps in some rare cases, he could even be a confidante. But he could never be the kind of friend you would take for hunting with you, unless he would go there to perform his duties. Also, not the kind of friend you would take to gentlemen's club to discuss the prospects of cotton plantations in India.

>I always wondered if servants of the well to do were seen as below, equal or better than the common people

They WERE the common people. Their position might have been a bit higher though. Police would come if they called it, which most likely wouldn't be the case if some regular slum denizen tried the same thing. They were also fed, dressed and had roof over their heads, which was not so obvious for ordinary people back then.

>You know the men had them dress in those cute uniforms for their sexual pleasure

I know you are joking, but no.

>then when some guy finally gets you pregnant you either marry him or go live in the slums

If some rich guy would make a maid pregnant, she would be sent back wherever she came from with some sum to keep her mouth shut forever. Such father would never recognize children born out of wedlock. Victorian and Edwardian higher classes dreaded any form of scandal. And such scandal would jeopardize standing and prospects of both the family and the man in question.

>How easy was class mobility?

The only way upwards was through money or some heroic, captivating exploits. You could become wealthy and powerful in the spirit of capitalism, which earned you the respect of upper classes or even ennoblement. The other way was if you could perform some feat that would astonish the Victorian society.

>The other way was if you could perform some feat that would astonish the Victorian society

Any example? Maybe explorers, scientists and such or were those already mostly born into the high classes?

There's a doc on youtube that may be of interest to you.

youtu.be/7h-sNcwUSHk

I imagine it was like staying at a hotel.
You might exchange a few pleasantries with the maid, give her a tip.
But let's face it she's paid to change the sheets while I go out for lunch. I'm not going for a beer with her later.

Robert F. Scott comes to mind. A nobody who would end up socializing with the cream of the society.

comfy

Read Engels, the conditions of the working class in england

There was nothing comfy in being a servant.

>get to wear a beautiful uniform
>get to live in a giant stately home
>never have to worry about rent, food
>get paid decent money relative to skills required
>get to improve you baking skills

> How was life for servants
There's a reason none of them came back after WWI.

Actually, they disappeared only in the 1970s

How is this uniform perfect the apron is creased did they not have irons?

They did have irons, but not electric. Before the advent of electric appliances, irons had vaults for red hot coal.

Is the dessert the pudding or the maid?

Remains of the Day
>Read it, mud chucker

>work from before the sun comes up until after the sun comes down 7 days a week
>no official breaks, you're lucky if your food is lukewarm by the time you get to eat it and if you get the chance to sit down for a few minutes each day
>develop health problems due to intense work day in and day out

sounds awesome!