There is no reason to buy automatic transmission.Manual is

There is no reason to buy automatic transmission.Manual is
>cheaper
>faster
>better performance
>better mileage
>better for off-road
>easier/cheaper to fix
I does take time to used to,but after you learn it you can unlearn it.There is no reason drive auto unless you a woman or gay!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8lEYaTvvq4g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I basically got handed an automatic, I can drive a manual but I see both sides to it. Manual is more involving, automatic is just so much less to think about. This thread gets made on Veeky Forums every day but I don't think it was ever a real argument among car enthusiasts, just a way to make people that don't drive a manual regularly feel bad.

Manuals are more fun and cheaper to replace, but let's be honest here op, a modern auto usually has better or just as good gas mileage, and can go just as fast, and most off-road able cars have lower gear crawling that doesn't give up much over a manual.

But is your manual /comfy/ like an auto?

Estimates for most cars show this. I was looking at the Mazda 3 hatch and is a few mpg more to get the auto.

Still want the manual but I think slushboxes are less common now.

What is this, 1992?

The girl I'm seeing drives a 5 speed 1999 Jeep Wrangler. I feel so fucking silly not having ever driven stick before.

I've read about how to do it but I've never actually gotten to try it first hand. It's emasculating. Would I be a little bitch if I had a girl teach me stick?

Not if you have her drive stick with your dick

>I don't know how to do [thing]
>Is it unmanly to learn [thing]?
No, you fucking dumbass. What's unmanly is asking whether it's okay to gain knowledge. Ask her to teach you.

>Estimates
Keyword here.

>tfw getting new manual so I can finally make fun of autotragics

>Everyone laughs at you when you stall at an intersection or is pissed at you for taking 10 years to start moving from a dead stop.

>implying I don't already know how to drive a manual.
Liberal fag pls go and suck dick in your autotragic

After owning a manual truck and now driving an auto truck, here are my 2 sheckles.

Performance wise, shit doesnt matter. In fact, auto is probably better.

Reliability: no comment

Manual is more fun, but thats the only advantage. But it gets in the way of road head. Therefore, auto wins.

>calls me libfag
>2/4 cars i own are exempt from emissions
>implying i don't have a 10 gun safe with 14 guns in it 4 feet away.

>But it gets in the way of road head.

than a dual clutch 6 speed? no? k.

This. It's only unmanly if you end up being worse at it than her after practising.

No pressure.

>cheaper
>better for offroad
>cheaper to maintain

No? K.

After having a manual for 10 years I can't stand autos now.

>Stomp on the gas in automatic....
>wait 2 seconds to downshift
>finally accelerate

It's nice having final control of exactly when I am going to accelerate. You can get the process started ahead putting it in neutral and giving the engine a rev, but still be able to change your mind.

>Stomp on gas in automatic
>after 1/2 second change mind and let go
>1.5 seconds go by
>2nd gear, REAHhrrr.. back to 5th
>*car lurches awkwardly*

This. Went back to driving an auto for work for a while and it was worse than I remembered it. Granted it was a van, so the tranny was probably shifting about as garbage as a slush box could.

Automatics are for people that don't plan ahead, is my view.

>"oh, but shifting takes longer in a manual".

Not true.. Shifting already happened before you needed the downshift, because I'm not a terrible inattentive driver and am able to anticipate what gear I need before I need to use it.

>stomp on the gas
>mechanical kickdown forces downshift immediately
>instantaneous power

Last night I was stuck in traffic between 8-11 PM with all exits closed in that 5 mile stretch. Not sure if I would have killed myself with a manual or it would have been more tolerable because there was more to do. So much auto creep.

The choice to shift through paddles or at least a greater variety of PRNDL choices needs to exist in autos though.

>>better mileage

My eCVT says hello

>PRNDL
PRND21 Masterrace.
even my old Volkswagen let you choose 3, 2 ,1 ,or drive on the 4 speed auto.

My 8th gen Civic has PRND321. Drop that fucker into 3 on a twisty road, and you can have slightly disappointing fun.

A direct drive with reduction gear meets all that criteria. The best transmission is none.

>decide to see what this whole manual meme is all about
>I have a friend that's a total Veeky Forums-tist, has a riced out integra with various /osg/ and touhou stickers all over the back
>he's willing to teach me
>i bring my girlfriend along because she's curious about it too
>Me: "Hey user, how's it going?"
>Him: "y-y-you too"
>Me: "lol what??"
>he's kinda awkward but whatever I shrug it off and let my gf in the back while I get into the passenger seat
>Him: "S-s-so In order to get moving, lift your foot up from the clutch pedal until the RPMs drop slightly and apply light pressure to the accelerator. Balance the light downward pressure on the accelerator with slowly releasing pressure on the clutch pedal. You will probably have to do this several times blah blah blah...."
>me and my gf are rolling our eyes
>Me: "Holy shit man haha, we came here to learn how to drive manual, not do rocket science like Preston from Big Bang Theory lol"
>my gf giggles
>friend is getting flustered
>Me: "Haha sorry man, go on"
>Him: "S-so now you take the gear shift knob straight down from 1st gear into the bottom left..."
>Me:"Hold on, what the hell are you doing?"
>Him: "T-t-the gear shift..."
>Me: "Haha you're telling me you have to touch the car's dick to get it moving? Haha just like me, right babe?"
>my gf is now giggling uncontrollably
>friend is getting visibly red and is now starting to tremble and sweat
>I realize this is a waste of time
>Me: "Haha hey man actually you know thanks for taking the time to show us this manual thing but I think we're good, let's just meet up at the movie theatre"
>i can see his lips quivering like he's almost so angry he could cry
>Him:"o-o-ok"
>me and gf ride in my GT-R to the theatre while friend follows behind

I felt kinda bad embarrassing him like that especially since I know he has a crush on my gf so I make it up to him by buying him some popcorn

MAN IF YOU LIVE IN FUCKING CITY AUTO IS SIMPLY BETTER BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORK A CLUTCH IT IS DRIVING: EASY MODE
MANUAL IS JUST TO PROVE YOUR MANLYNESS AND HOW MUCH YOU ARE IN TOUCH WITH YOUR CAR
GODFUCKING DAMMIT BENCHRACERS GET A FUCKING LICENCE AND STOP JERKING OF TO YOUR SUPREME FORSA SHIFTING SKILLS

I mean, what kind of nerd puts this much effort into a shitpost?

I have an auto Integra and it fucking sucks man. Plan on swapping out the autotragic for a manual tranny w/ LSD

My Acura TL has some sort of Manual-like automatic option where I can shift gears at appropriate speeds. Is that similar to a regular manual?

is manual the wrong choice for me if i practice a stop-and-go driving style (left foot always feathering brake)?

i have auto in traffic
gotten me almost in accident multible times
autos a shit
autos only for people who can't race and think manuals are for hardcore fuckers only to get crushed by their car when they are too retarded to operate an auto.
If you want something with a mind of its own ride the bus

don't forget
>car can't get stolen if the thief doesn't know how to manual tranny

Not a fucking chance. That's just a "suggestion button" for the transmission. Usually there's over a second of delay before the transmission actually shifts.

Not everything needs to be manual though, That's just autistic. Yeah sports cars should be and maybe cheap commuter shitboxes. Automatic is fine for cruising type vehicles, minivans, pickup trucks and lazy people that don't give a shit.

Lady I know had her manual camaro stolen, thief couldn't drive manual so he put it through a fence and into a wall.

pasta

how does one fuck up that bad

>2/4 cars i own are exempt from emissions
>He lives somewhere that does emissions testing at all
You're a libfag.

Manual Focus and Fiesta are faster than their DCT counterparts.

>cheaper
Not necessarily.
>faster
Wrong
>better performance
Again wrong
>better mileage
Not neccessarily
>better for off-road
What makes you think that?

A few of those aren't really true anymore. And better offroad was never true

>Crawling in a manual while off road will often stall the engine
>fuel millage on newer, computer controlled automatics handle fuel economy better than humans

Aside from that, yeah, manuals are better.

One more thing that's note worthy, Dual clutch transmissions are MUCH faster than human controlled manuals. Although after spending a day in a Porsche Carrera S I feelthe dual clutch takes a little away from the driving experience. It's nice to shift at the touch of a button, but there is just something satisfying to the feeling of executing the perfect shift.

>not operating three sticks at once
fucking pleb
youtube.com/watch?v=8lEYaTvvq4g

>truck

>>not operating three sticks at once
i do tho

Having driven both for over 35 years. The manual is fun to down shift and control better specific tasks.
Modern day automatics do everything a manual can but faster than a human operator.
Its really about what you want. When im in traffic , off road, or carring a gun i prefer my automatic truck. When im cruising around the city or playing around , a manual has great moments.
Paddle shifting is fucking awesome just throwing that in there.
Manual shifting a truck sucks balls especially towing.
Manual keeps you more in tune with your motorcycle if you have one of those too.
Anyway , just have fun whatever you do.

I've stalled twice (not including learning) in the 9 years i've had my license. One of them was because my foot was wet from washing my car then my foot slipped off the clutch pedal, other one was a pure accident at high altitude trying to go up hill also.

>>easier/cheaper to fix
Not when you have to replace the clutch along with it, which you should, because it's going to suck dick when you're stuck on the side of the road again wishing you had in the first place. Like switching out a burnt out headlight with 2 instead of 1 sort of feeling

If you are constantly riding the tail of he car in front of you and braking like a retard you're going to hate driving manual. You need to learn to give a couple of car lengths of space and just take it easy on the gas when you're in heavy traffic. It's really ridiculous to watch city traffic when you're a manual driver because everyone is always riding too close and mashing on the brakes constantly. I hardly ever brake unless I am coming to a stop because I try to just stay in second and first gears and just keep a distance until the traffic gets moving at a good speed.

I've stalled mine maybe 5-6 times in 3 years. Most if not all of them are because my car lets the RPMs dip really low when you off-gas and on-clutch.. As if it's too slow to react to give it some idle fuel.

What that means is that if I start to move in 1st, then have to let off and coast/stop (maybe the guy in front of me didn't take off from a light, whatever) the RPMs dip to about 500, and when I let the clutch back out I lolnotorque into a stall that wouldn't normally have happened at 900rpm

Gained a new respect for truck drivers who have to do this. I used to be one of those guys that would change lanes and take up some of the space they leave themselves in traffic, but after driving manual and leaving extra space in front of me, I try not to change in front of the truck unless I have to. I used to think they were just lazy, hadn't ever thought about it.

>Cheaper:Yes
>Faster: No
>Better performance: No
>Better Mileage: No
>Better for off road: Doesn't apply to half this board.
>Cheaper to fix: Yep.

corolla?

Well, it's also because they know that people are going to cut in front of them - so may as well just go at an even pace and go with the flow.

I imagine that it's what it's like being the biggest animal around. You can just do the things you're going to do and ignore the fuck out of everyone else because NO ONE is going win in a chicken fight with you.

Yeah, sure, maybe of some dude did a dick maneuver and you hit him or they hit you and through some technicality they COULD pin you as at-fault... but who the fuck is going to risk getting mauled and maimed/killed by a big rig for that? It makes no sense. So as a big rig in traffic, you'll just crawl along at 5mph and everyone else either has to follow suite, get around you, or wait for a chance to get in front of you.

>faster
>better performance
>better mileage
wow, are you stuck in 1978?

Depends on the car company. I have a CVT 10th gen civic and the CVT is better than any other company. It's faster than the manual with the same engine and has better economy.

Engineers don't even want manuals anymore since the driver no matter how skilled with be slower and get less out of the engine. CVT or auto for everyday and paddle shifters or or sequential for racing. It's been over 20 years since there's been a manual top end race car.

By modern auto you mean a heavier dct? Yeah, that might be a little faster, god help you if it breaks though.

I'd rather have a seamless dogbox like they use in motogp, or that one transmission that only saw one proof of concept drag race.

Anyways for the most part, autoshifters are for mpgees and luxury, and manuals of any sort, whether or not you use the clutch(es) yourself, are for actually knowing how to drive.

Nice top speed gaylord

>Honda CVT
>Better than a Subaru CVT
naw brah, honda buys them from a third party that Kia and Nissan also buy from. it's some chink shit

>be burger
>shitty authoritarian goverment spies on everything you 100% of the time
>can kill you with your car
>can't afford basic healthcare
>spend 89% of your money paying your student loans
>your debt 1000000% of your gdp
>99,9999999999% of your cars are auto
Why are you even trying?

>and manuals of any sort, whether or not you use the clutch(es) yourself, are for actually knowing how to drive.

Sadly this is slowly being proven untrue. As more and more people get on the roads, manual drivers have higher, insurance costs on average and often pay less attention on the road and provide less fuel economy. Some companies suggest auto because modern autos and cvts can't be broken since the computer is running the transmission.

That's actually subaru with 3rd party for some models. It's slow and clunky as shit i've test driven quite a few before choosing mine.

The current gen is in house produced CVT by honda is made by them for the current gen of civics.

I actually own a 10th gen civic, dingus.

>I own a civic
>you're the dingus
lmao, can't make this shit up

What do you drive? Let's have a car off.

2002 honda cr-v, fight me. Which subaru's have 3rd party trannys? Asian market?

What about a car that I want to take on 300+ mile road trips at least once per month?

>There is no reason to buy automatic transmission.Manual is
>>cheaper True.
>>faster Debatable.
>>better performance Generally, but debatable.
>>better mileage Wrong. Modern automatics win the MPG category.
>>better for off-road Wrong in most cases.
>>easier/cheaper to fix True, assuming you don't burn through clutches like TayTay and boyfriends.
>I does take time to used to,but after you learn it you can unlearn it.There is no reason drive auto unless you a woman or gay! You can bait better than that.

what gears am I supposed to be accelerating on?

I'm still trying to wrap my head over the idea that i actually downshift to a lower gear if I want to accelerate, and I'm guessing gear 4 and 5 are just for coasting?

I almost instantly shift from gear 1 to 2 since it seems it's useless outside of starting (at least on my Mazda3) and I mash the throttle on gear 2 and 3 whenever I want to accelerate quickly.

How do I improve? Week 3 of manual here.

/90s Civic poorfag m... muh RACECAR transmission general/?

You were half-right with there being no excuse not to learn how to shift but the rest of this is 90s Civic Amerilard shitposting. Congrats, you're now on par with teenage girls from Yurop in terms of automatic prowess.