Hey Veeky Forums, I've decided that I am going to drill some holes in my muffler so my MX-5 is louder...

Hey Veeky Forums, I've decided that I am going to drill some holes in my muffler so my MX-5 is louder. Is there any particular rule of thumb I should follow when doing this? Does it matter where I drill? I plan on doing it right on the muffler itself somewhere. Currently I am considering doing it from the bottom since that is the most easily accessible for me

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ieJUP9O9RG8&t=54s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ricer

If you trace your muffler under the car you should find a box eventually, drill through the middle of that to get the best acoustic derision.

Just get a new exhaust you autistic fuck.

From what I understand, it's best to drill the muffler directly as anything before the muffler has a direct impact on the factory air:fuel mixture. Muffler and beyond has no impact.

Why would I get a new exhaust? I don't want to pay to re-tune the damn thing. It's also a PITA to install. Drilling is much easier. I get the sound I want and I can easily patch it up in the future if needed.

If you're drilling holes in your muffler, why on earth do you care about a minor hp drop?

You are wrong. Drilling a hole in the box mentioned before makes it act like a turbo because it allows more airflow out of the engine, and thus allows more in as well.

>being this retarded

Holes in the exhaust typically sound like farts user. It might not sound good but if you want fart sounds then that's what it'll get you.

That is exactly what I want. My friend's 95 Corolla sparked an exhaust leak and it sounded amazing

lol are you too fucking cheap to get a $50 aftermarket muffler and an exhaust clamp from the store or $20 at the junkyard for one?

Sigh, well then there may be a small drain hole in the muffler on the bottom, just make it larger. There is no rule of thumb you're just drilling a hole in your exhaust so exhaust gas doesn't get muffled. To make noise you'll want to make the incision on or before the muffler. If you do it after the muffler it won't do anything. Just whatever you do do not drill into your catalytic converter, you'll go way too fast

You have to drill into the box the muffler attaches to. See

What box?

user just drill a hole in your muffler. If it's too hard for you you should not be doing it.

Just drill a hole on your floor pan and route your exhaust throught it.

Look, I'll be the first to admit that I am not very mechanically inclined but when someone tells me to drill a hole in a box and I look and see that there is no box, it makes sense that I ask what they are talking about

>falling for this b8

>not drilling the hole in the exhaust manifold

You get the same effect plus a 4hp power boost

>either a troll falling for another troll or a genuine fucking retard

I fell for the b8.

Are you a fucking retard? The giant piece down by the exhaust tip. Jesus christ.

>My friend's 95 Corolla sparked an exhaust leak and it sounded amazing

Holy fucking shit

What the fuck do you think the muffler is? When I say muffler, obviously I am talking about that giant piece. You think I am going to drill a fucking hole in my piping?

you are a retarded motherfucke. Get out of Veeky Forums right now you filthy fucker.

>don't want to pay to re-tune the damn thing

Are you actually mentally insufficient? Slapping an AutoZone muffler on there with a cheapo exhaust clamp would just make it louder, there would be no need to "tune" anything.

Buy a bunch of washers
Buy some long bolts that match the ones where your muffler bolts onto your car

Fit washers between the exhaust piping, and run the longer bolt through

Free loud exhaust and you can remove it once you realize you were a retard for wanting it in the first place

Just buy this if you're gonna be a cheap nig.

Alright guys, I am reporting back after my attempt to drill hole number one.

Apparently these things are not only made from steel but are thick as shit. I couldn't even make a fucking dent in it and I was using proper cobalt drill bits.

How the hell do I drill a hole in this thing?

Try using improper cobalt drill bits.

>not straight pipe

You're a pussy

But those just sound annoying.

This.

put a bicycle tire inner tube over the exhaust and secure with a clamp
youtube.com/watch?v=ieJUP9O9RG8&t=54s