youtube.com/watch?v=29gxsPrU9nE
youtube.com/watch?v=eRr1EBAR8G4
youtube.com/watch?v=bZRBByP-2Ik
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>supercharger instead of another fucking turbo
>3 door as god intended
>multi-piston brakes
>bucket seats

It's everything good about the Fiesta ST except better in every way.

>Toyota Gazooo Racing Masters of Nurburgring
Literally who names this shit?

DOHB'D MAEG ME ANGHRY, THDEVN

JUTHD DOHB'D

>tfw my daily produces more horsepower than this piece of shit

go on a try your hardest you microshit mobile.

>faster and more hp than a 86/Brz

aaahahahah

Wait, you're telling me that a FI 4 cylinder has more power than an NA 4 cylinder????

still get smoked by yaris because your car is pig fat

>not coming to north america

this must be one of the cutest things posted on Veeky Forums for a long time
TWONGI poster don't need to apply.

Bitch

stop it! it'll come here, I need it to.

Except turbochargers are objectively better than superchargers.

U wot m8

>3 door ONLY

I LOVE YOU BASED TOY YODA

>still get smoked by yaris

yeah sure man. if getting smoked is a another term for being stuck in my rear view mirror then that's something I can agree with you on.

>straight line

yea until a turn comes up and the yaris flys past you with EUROBEET blaring

>Steering wheel from the GT86

THEY TOOK THEIR FUCKING STEERING WHEEL LMFAO!!!1!

Never gonna happen, say the fuckin words.

youtube.com/watch?v=CLQb0y6FgCg

wtf I love the yaris now

Not when it comes to throttle response. I prefer having no lag and not having to keep the boost up.

>turbolag vs no turbolag and more exclusivity

Well meme'd my friend.

Car sounds like it's VIOLENTLY throwing up and crying at the same time

Fuck off benchracer scum

yeah sure man, if flys past is a another term for being stuck in my rear view mirror then that's something I can agree with you on.

Do you know what anti lag does?

youtube.com/watch?v=FcgeFvw6I9U

yes. And there's a reason you will NEVER see it on a production car.
You may not have heard of it. But there's this thing the public demands of their cars all the time. It's called reliability.

Your precious turbo can't top a blower in terms of reliability. And anti-lag just doesn't work on the street.

My neighbour's fart cannon on his 1.5 litre Focus sounds better than that. Why does it need to sound like it's farting and vomiting at the same time?

Yeah, significantly reduce the life of your engine by putting fuel in the turbo, which is why they aren't put on mass production/street legal cars.

No it doesn't you crazy faggot.

seriously, wtf is with the noise it makes while slowing down? Whats with the wierd whistling sounds and all the puffs?

I'm hearing it rumble right now and trust me, it does sound better...

>Do you know what anti lag does?

I know what it does not:
Get installed on production automobiles.

No warrantied car is ever going to have factory anti lag. Anti lag is brutal on turbine wheels and manufacturers aren't in the business of buying you new turbos under warranty.

Funny because I agree with you that turbos are better, but you're smoking crack if you think a factory car sold at a dealer will ever have anti lag.

>TF2 meme images

Your shit taste suddenly makes sense.

Theres a difference between the overblown lawnmower sound a fartcan makes and the absurd amount of different noises a rally car produces.

lol ok big boy

Can someone explain to an idiot what the difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger is? As i understand it, turbo raises hp while a supercharger raises torque?

show us a production turbo car with anti-lag then.
Oh wait.
You can't.
Because manufacturers don't want to replace turbos every few thousand miles under warranty.

Rally version is a smile

Superchargers and turbos both raise HP. They both do this by compressing air before it goes into the engine.

The difference is turbos are driven by the exhaust while superchargers are driven directly by the crankshaft.

wait, what? they are actually going to put a supercharger on a 3 cilinder block??

That's because they don't have too

It's a 1.8l 4 cylinder, the 3 cylinder is the new Fiesta ST.

>TFW you don't know common car related phrases on a turtle racing board

I'm still waiting for a price before judging it. A Fiesta ST is and a hardcore Clio RS Trophy is 30k so if this Toyota is priced between the 2 I'm good.

So does my minivan. That means nothing

shadow the yarishog

You're wrong.
Turbos and superchargers both do the same job but in different ways. That job is force more air into the engine.
more air = bigger bang = more power

A supercharger used a belt and pulley system driven by the engine's crankshaft. either lobes or screws (in the case of roots and screw types) or a compressor wheel like a turbo (as seen on centrifugal superchargers) to compress the air and force it into the engine.
Here's an animations of a GM LSJ, which was a 2.0L ecotec I4 engine equipped with a intercooled roots type supercharger from the factory. It was used in the 2004-2007 Saturn Ion Redline, and 2005-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged.
youtube.com/watch?v=14MaYSMPc1c

Meanwhile, a turbo uses the exhaust gases to spin a turbine, which spins another turbine via a shaft. the other turbine wheel compresses the air and forces it into the engine.
youtube.com/watch?v=29gxsPrU9nE

Now there are downsides to both.
For superchargers, the downside is it's connected to the engine. This means that to make the extra power, there IS a noticeable measurable parasitic loss, so superchargers will make less power than a turbocharger at the same boost levels.
On the upside, a supercharger is connected to the engine, so response is snap your fingers immediate.

In the turbo camp, there are also downsides. Turbos are not directly connected to the engine. Turbochargers have what's known as lag, which is the time when you're waiting for the turbines to spin up to proper speed. This is why driving some turbo cars, you put your foot to the floor and nothing nothing nothing noth-HOLY SHIT! when the turbo kicks in. Anti-lag is a solution that keeps the turbo spooled up at all times by injecting fuel into the pathways and ignitings it, shooting flames through the turbo to keep it spinning at max rpm to eliminate lag. The problem is this system is extremely harsh and reduces turbo life significantly.

Antilag.
It makes little explosions, don't worry about it.

Thanks brehs, and they tell me you dont learn anything on Veeky Forums.

Just when I've given up all hope, Veeky Forums surprises me...

You win 1 Internet.

dang classy doggo...

is that going to be the actual paint job or what

+1 to this user. He knows what he's talking about.

Superchargers, in my opinion, have more of a cool factor. And they sound ten times better.

also, personal preference, I prefer superchargers.
There's something about that goddamned whine that just tickles me.
youtube.com/watch?v=eRr1EBAR8G4
youtube.com/watch?v=bZRBByP-2Ik

>serious, well-explained, well-thought out post on Veeky Forums that is actually correct, with examples
The only thing that could have made this post better is if it got trips. Assmad gm fangirls btfo, gtr > corvette, c7.r cant into finishing nurburgring

Superchargers and turbochargers have pretty much the same result; they both give your engine more torque and horsepower, but they do it in different ways. The whole idea behind both of them is to draw in and compress more air so your engine can create more power (more air = more usable oxygen = more powerful combustion through compression).
Superchargers are considered simpler since they're installed on the side on an engine without having to get into the exhaust system. Basically when you apply throttle with a supercharger installed, the engine's crankshaft will turn as normal, but it has a belt attached to it that powers a pulley on an air compressor (the supercharger). The air compressor draws in air and compresses it just before it enters the intake manifold. Since temperature increases as pressure increases, this means that the compressed air will be hotter when it enters the intake manifold and so it won't combust as efficiently. You need an intercooler between the supercharger and intake to cool the compressed air before it is mixed with fuel for the best combustion. Also, the supercharger requires engine power to operate, but the extra power it generates is greater than the mechanical loss, so there's a net power gain.
Turbochargers are similar to superchargers (turbo is short for turbosupercharger, but no one calls them that) but use the exhaust gasses as their power source instead of a belt and pulley. The gasses move a turbine that powers an air compressor just like a supercharger. This also requires an intercooler. Since the engine doesn't have to directly power a turbo, there is no engine power loss and you can generally get more power form a turbo because of this. However, installing a turbo requires disassembling the exhaust manifold while a supercharger is an easier install.
Both of them operate at extremely high RPM. They vary a lot, but superchargers spin at around 50,000 RPM while turbos can spin at over 200,000 RPM.

>yfw the guy who wrote that post is a GM fanboy
I also have no fucks to give about an unreliable automatic only Nissan.

Cool tumblr meme image breh.

superchargers=REEEEEEEEEEEEE

turbochargers=PPPPPPPSHHHHHHHHHH

I'm just going to step in for a moment and correct some common misperceptions:
>Turbo "lag" (spool threshold)
What people commonly refer to as lag is actually the spool threshold. Because of the way a turbo works, below a certain RPM they make little to no boost pressure, and then rapidly ramp up once they hit that RPM. In comparison, positive displacement superchargers like Roots, twin screw, and scroll type superchargers generate peak boost at all RPMs, while centrifugal superchargers (basically a turbo compressor attached to a belt) increase in boost pressure linearly with RPM, so instead of having max boost at idle like a positive displacement type or at a certain threshold like 3500 RPM, they don't make peak boost until redline.

>Lag
Lag is caused by two factors: rotating mass, and intake volume. Rotating mass is simple: a turbocharger rotating assembly takes time to spin up in response to increased load, giving a gap between a change in load or RPM and a change in boost pressure. This is generally not an issue except with ridiculously huge turbos, like 1000+ horsepower Supras and Evos and the like. Multiple smaller turbochargers can fix this issue at the cost of increased complexity. Superchargers also add rotating mass, but because they're always outputting maximum boost pressure, it's rarely noticeable. You will usually only notice it when revving the engine with no load, such as when rev matching, and even then the added power is likely to have a greater beneficial effect than the added rotating mass.

The other concern here is intake volume. When a compressor begins to increase pressure in the intake system, it happens as a pressure wave that expands back from the compressor outlet. The larger the volume of your intake system from compressor outlet to intake port, the longer that pressure wave takes to reach the engine. If you have a roots blower breathing straight into the intake ports of your head, you have very little intake volume,

(1/2)

(2/2)

But if you have a centrifugal supercharger sending air through a series of tubes to a large intercooler and then back to a manifold or surge box and then down the runners to the head, you'll have as much or more volume than a typical turbo system.

>Power potential
So, we see that turbos and centrifugal superchargers have some potential issues that positive displacement superchargers don't. The upside to a turbo system is that it has a much greater operational range (a supercharger's range of RPM is inversely proportional to its boost pressure, while a turbo can make a set amount of boost from its spool threshold until the compressor housing itself becomes a flow restriction), less parasitic loss, and higher efficiency.

With this in mind, an intercooled turbo system can make substantially more power than a non-intercooled supercharger system designed to minimize intake volume. This is less of an issue on an enormous V8 that's already making hundreds of horsepower before forced induction, but important for little 3- and 4-cylinder engines that are maybe only putting out 100-200 horsepower by themselves.

Now, remember those centrifugal superchargers that had all the drawbacks of both turbos and positive displacement type superchargers? Here's where they make themselves useful. They have a much greater ability to make boost at very high RPM than positive displacement superchargers and much less drag. In fact, a centrifugal supercharger will actually cause less loss than a turbo, because you can use a free-flowing tubular header without a huge compressor wheel blocking up flow. You can also set the maximum compressor speed much more precisely than a turbo, allowing them to run closer to the edge without taking the risk of shitting your compressor blades through your built engine that cost you tens of thousands of dollars.

(3/2)
In conclusion:
>Positive displacement superchargers are always making peak boost (unless they're clutched, in which case they're on/off) and are often set up for no lag, but have less potential maximum power
>Turbochargers do everything great as long as you keep them over the spool threshold (which isn't hard) and don't build yourself a dyno queen (actually quite a bit harder; power is seductive)
>Centrifugal superchargers are best if you want a balls-out maximum horsepower build (although the packaging of an enormous compressor wheel that has to be attached to the crank by a belt can get interesting), responds well to the same mods as an NA engine, and also works great if you want a lot of power at the track but also want to putt around town without tanking your fuel economy or risk hitting the spool threshold of your 120mm turbo and launching forward as you near-instantly make an extra 600 horsepower.

pls no why can't we have the cool shit

Civic Type R comes out in a few months

>fwd
oh well, you can't get everything

Go Speed Racer go.

anything connected to the exhaust robs the power to create a strong vacuum in the cylinders

you either don't understand turbo, or you were deceptive in your post when citing the parasitic nature of a supercharger- ignoring the same flaw in the turbocharger.

>anything connected to the exhaust robs the power to create a strong vacuum in the cylinders
I wanted to mention that but I ran out of characters and didn't want to make a second post about it. Turbos also have a parasitic loss due to the restriction they pose to the exhaust, but it's nowhere near as pronounced as a supercharger's.

So show us one.

Not him and it's not the same thing as a "conventional" anti lag, but I've read a few months ago of press releases from Volvo in which they were developing a new air compressed anti-lag system to use on their high end engines.
Basically you have a small air tank that stores compressed air and releases it in the exhaust just before the turbine to keep it spinning when needed without using fuel or decreasing the turbine's reliability.
I don't know if this thing is already in production or not, and also Mercedes was developing something similar IIRC, but well..I guess that's the closest to a traditional anti lag you'll probably ever see on a road car

>u cant unsee

SUBADOOOOO IMPOSSIBRUUUUUUUU
WATCH MEE DREEEIIIFTOOOO SENPAIIIII