I am really REALLY thinking about getting an MR-2 ZZW30

I am really REALLY thinking about getting an MR-2 ZZW30.

Other choice is a Miata NB.

I live in Greece, so I'm poor. I only have about 4,000 to spend on a car and I want something RWD. Also, we get raped on taxes for anything above 1,800cc.

Any thoughts?

Have a similar question. Choosing between an ae86 and 260z, both are pristine condition but the 260z is 10k more.

Also OP, 350z's are shit, get miata.

Oh you said mr2. Those are shit as well. Get miata.

Do AE86s in pristine condition still exist ?

U a shit

Go for it dude, they are great, but I would remove the pre-cat if I were you

AE86s value is skyrocketting, so even if it's modified, you will still be able to sell it.

I would buy the AE86.

Hey, thanks for the response.

I think I know the answer, but I want to hear it from you, what makes the Miata better?

I'm really biting my nails over this decision.

I talked to a mechanic about that. He said almost everybody (at least here in Greece) knew about that issue, and already removed them.

Also, have you had one before? How are they on the freeway. I pretty frequently have to take 3-5 hour trips for work.

That's one thing stopping me from the Miata. I'm worried about how the 1.6 will handle that.

getting an mr-s soon.
They're good.
Watch out for early ones that they don't burn oil, or have little power, these are symptoms of precat failure. Also del precats as soon as you get one.
Trick is to buy one with mint precats and precatdel them and you'll have insanely reliable mid fucking engined roadster.
its a god damned convertable, expect road noise

Yep. Found one the other day for 4000, only mod was a wood steering wheel and mad bbs rims yo

The miata is
>more reliable
>better platform for auto-x, driftoru, dd'ing and modifying
>tons of aftermarket and replacement parts, also still in production
>not mid-engined bullshit
>not a budget ferrari with down syndrome
Get miata. There's good reason they're used for motorsports and the mr2 isn't.

>more reliable
they're about as reliable, once precats are deleted mr2's can go like 50k miles without a single service if rust don't get to them
>better platform for auto-x, driftoru, dd'ing and modifying
mr2 outhandles the fuck out of miata due to midship.
Doriftu it is bad at.
DD as well if you need cargo space
both are as good for mods.
>tons of aftermarket and replacement parts, also still in production
Same for MR2 but miata has shitloads more aftermarket.
>not mid-engined bullshit
mid engined will BTFO your miata and is cooler because its way more dangerous. also has better weight distribution not nanny state 50-50
>not a budget ferrari with down syndrome
zzw30 is happier than na

It's reliable, tons of aftermarket and very proven. I personally like the interior a lot better and I think it's very much better looking than an mr2. We have the 1.8 here but it's been completely fine for me on the highway.

this.
w30 fag here miatas are fucking great.
Only reason I want a zzw30 is because its a fucking budget midship with toyota reliability and cute happy face that weighs literally nothing and has no pussy ass shit like cargo space

Kek chill
If he wants to deal with that unreliable garbage I could care less. I wouldn't get either one personally.

Also
>having to make your car illegal and smell like gas so it doesn't implode on itself due to shitty exhaust design
Heh

1.8 liter is available here, but they're expensive as fuck.

That's a problem I'm running into here in Greece. It's really hard to buy cool cars cheap. MR2 SW-20, RX 7 FD, Nissan 240 any time you see them for sale, they are either race cars or cost upward for 20,000 euros.

That said, on one of my test rides, the seller drifted the hell out of a 1.6 Miata, so I'm convinced I can have fun in it, I'm just worried about how it will run on the freeway at 120-140 km/h.

You really shouldnt be looking into convertibles if you have to drive for that long, theres lots of roadnoise and theyre fairly uncomfortable for long drives.

That, I can deal with. Besides, for sporty cars in my price range, all I git is 1.8 or 1.6 BMW 3 series, and FWD hatchbacks.

Does the bimmer have as bad of a reputation in greece as it has in germany/austria?

does the bimmer has a bad of a reputation in germany/austria as it has in estonia?

Nah, just boring. Every idiot and his uncle drives a BMW in Athens.

Other problem is the taxes. Bigger engine you got, more taxes you pay every year. Most people avoid anything bigger than 1.8 maaaaybe 2.0

That kind of engine isn't going to be much fun in a BMW.

If theyre only driven by turks who lower them and paint them gold, then yes.

The MR2's trunk is about the dimensions of a gallon size ziploc bag, and it has an engine notorious for drinking more oil than any rotary. It's not worth it even as a track toy except for the novelty of owning a crippled Elise that looks like a stubby Boxster.

I'd say 260Z, but holy fuck 10k on top of the price of an AE86 is a shitload of money unless you live in Zimbabwe. I'd either take the 86 or consider other options.

No FB/FC RX-7s or DSMs other cheap spoortscars? What about cars people don't usually think about like the Starion or 323 GT-X? Or how about stripping down an old GT like a Soarer or Biturbo? How much are Euro-only cars like the sporty Sierra trims or turbo Calibra?

RX-7 FC or FD are all expensive. I doubt there is a single one in the entire country that isn't heavily modified. We're talking 15-20k plus.

RX-8's are pretty cheap though. They just have a terrible reputation for reliability. The market's flooded with cheap ones, but they've all got bad compression.

DSM is a no-go because the motors are too big. Even with a 2.0, you're stuck paying 650 euros a year... for nothing. 2.4 and you're over a thousand.

stop talking about them. theyre still cheap

pay debts

>2.0L
>Too big
Haha, oh wow. Seriously, import a 12A FB if you have to. Then bridgeport it and turbo it with the money you save on taxes and enjoy your 500 horsepower.

I saw an RX-8 for 18k usd the other day...
No meaningful mods either, just clean with custom (but solid color) paint.

Ok, the noise is the most annoying thing, but from my experience it wasn't as bad as an NB, I would try to get the 6 speed (5 gears 1 overdrive) manual or SMT instead of the 5 speed, for freeway driving. The SW20 might actually be a better freeway car. The zzw30 is noisy

I own one currently, and it also has almost no storage room.

I regularly see rx-8s around here for under $5000. Under 100k miles too. I really don't think buying one is a good idea though, that price comes with baggage.