Hey Veeky Forums thinking about getting my hands on a 1970 eldorado coupe with the un gimped 8.2 in it

Hey Veeky Forums thinking about getting my hands on a 1970 eldorado coupe with the un gimped 8.2 in it

The one I am looking at is completely straight and clean with 61k miles on it... how long did those motors and transmissions usually last for?

Exactly 48 years. Then they both blow up.

But seriously, great choice. Awesome machine.

I honestly can not understand the love for cars that old... you pay this extra premium because they are classic yet you could get your hands on cars made less than ten years ago that are faster, more comfortable, quieter, more efficient, easier to work on, much much safer and just better all around save for that old car aesthetic...

I just could not see something that old and smelly with the most cheap feeling interior ever being fun especially if it has been around this long.

Beautiful car. You've got good taste, man.

>more comfortable

Wwhy is the hood so long it makes me uncomfortable

Yes just because old cars had bench seats does not give them that wonderful sealed in feeling with so many different comforts as well as newer suspension and everything. Unless you just like showing off your old cars to people who actually like old cars then sure but in a practical point of view old cars are crap compared to new cars on the road for the purpose of driving and relaxing

I would much rather cruise than rattle around

Because it has a 500 CI 8.2 liter motor in it, one that held the title for largest motor in a civilian vehicle for a very very long time. It is a powerhouse, a monster that would dust even modern cars on the road today. It is beautiful

It's a 'murrican thing.

To which I say, fucking go for it, OP. Live the barge dream and let us live vicariously through you. Nobody fucks with someone driving a car over twenty feet long.

what asre you doing here

Ugh... all that power and it is front wheel drive. Sure you can spin your front wheels which is a novelty but you lose so much power and potential when you pull not push.

I agree with the sealed in feeling but if you do not want a comfortable calm car and loved the old muscle feel then go for it.

That is one crazy car. Probably the comfiest thing ever.

how....

Welcome to the club

>how long did those motors and transmissions usually last for?
Mine started losing compression at about 100k miles. It's pretty common for cars back then. That's why they only had 5-digit odometers back then. If the car ever did make it to having the odo read all-zeroes again, it lasted longer than even the engineers thought it would. Really the powertrain isn't very much a concern. Chances are if you have a problem, it's likely a vacuum line, fueling, or cooling.

>I honestly can not understand the love for cars that old
>save for that old car aesthetic
nigga, you just answered your own question.

Also, old landbarges aren't expensive right now. They've only recently started to show any appreciation at auctions -- even then, showroom quality examples really aren't pulling the same prices as classic Chevelle or Challenger cars. In the last few years, you can get them for 4-digits. Anything over $10k would be near mint.

If the caddie in OPs post is in that kind of condition no rust, relatively low miles with a good interior AND it has the original 1970 8.2 that was without the modification to make it less of a powerhouse I think it could easily break 4 digits... shame it is not a convertible that would make it worth in the 15k range

Amazing car. If you can get it don't wait.

You are narrow minded and ignorant. Have fun driving the same fucking car that everyone else has.

You need to expand your horizons young man.

Well, yeah, that's the point I was making: Nicer cars will go for more money. The car in the OP could easily make $15k at auction and probably go for more. However, most examples are not going to be in that condition and can be had for under $10k.

Also, there were no convertible E-body cars until the 7th-gen Eldo.

great taste user, true gentlemans ride

Because older cars look way better than modern cars. That's what all that love is about. Also, the opportunity to do more in the backseat or the front seat. Bench seats are super fun.

MPG?

No, GPM.

>you could get your hands on cars made less than ten years
>more comfortable
>easier to work on
bud...

>He doesn't know what the mink test is

Weebs...

Most comfortable car I have owned has been a '79 Thunderbird. Like driving an Ottoman around town and the highway.

The interior was extremely spacious. The steering was direct but without any undue effort. Tracking on the road was very good, slight slight slight pull to the right hand side. Airconditioning was still very cold and all electrical functions worked.

I would say it was more comfortable with 'gentler' road manners than the other cars the wife and I owned/own;

'84 Pontiac Trans Am
'94 Toyota Supra
'95 Holden Rodeo
'95 Ford Ghia
'96 Nissan Patrol
'05 Kia Carnival
'09 Toyota 70 Series
'13 Suzuki Jimny
'14 Nissan Navara D40

I would also say for all who tried, it was more comfortable than;

'99 Subaru Outback
'04 Subaru Outback
'12 Subaru Forester

If you like being boxed in to a plastic tupperware container (your wonderful 'sealed' feeling) surrounded by gimmicks that's quite okay. The Supra is quite like that. Nothing like sipping on a cool drink with a hot joint out the window as you roll around in a V8 armchair though.

Numerous. Probably double digits every once in a while

>tranny
Any good tranny shop can rebuild a hydramatic.
>engine
Any old geezer that has ever held a wrench can rebuild a 500 ci V8.

about three fiddy around town, maybe 10 on the highway if you're really careful

>easier to work on
You've never seen an engine before, have you?

Was it just because gas cost literally cents back in the day, or is that because engines fall apart over time?