Hey guys, I'm new to Veeky Forums, but I have an interest in cars...

Hey guys, I'm new to Veeky Forums, but I have an interest in cars. I've been on Veeky Forums for a while but just haven't been on Veeky Forums. Do you guys have any advice for getting into cars and stuff? Where should I start?

>sticky

>Do you guys have any advice for getting into cars
probably by leaving Veeky Forums quickly
they dont know anything and argue about cars they never will own

Sticky main image is 404

What are you looking to get into with cars? Do you want to learn more about them generally? Are you looking to get one? Looking to learn more about a certain car scene? Once you narrow down what you're interested in, you can start seeking out more info about it

I tend to disagree with that statement. Veeky Forums refines your taste in cars pretty significantly. When I came on this board a couple years ago, I barely knew the difference between a v6 mustang and the gt.

But now I work in a reputable auto retailer and can take most of my car apart and put it back together again.

Veeky Forums is like tough love, you can never win, you'll just always be a little bit less shitty than the next guy. Not to say I learned anything about how automobiles work on here, but I definitely learned how not to be a cringy fucktard when talking to experienced enthusiasts. Some would say the latter is more valuable.

Buy a rotary

YouTube is the best place to get into cars these days. Anything where entertainment is the focal point and not mindless stat listing will be easier for an uncultured normie to get into it.

In the past I'd have just said go to a race or buy a fun car but 90% of this site are poorfag scum that can't buy their own clothes.

sticky is 404'd lol

it was posted like 3 years ago or some shit dude

AMMO NYC
eric the car guy
south main auto channel
chemical guys
scotty kilmer channel
chris fix
velocity
autogeek

If you lurk in the more technical threads here, and most of the generals, you'll pick up a lot of knowledge

avoid the board-at-large, though. Benchracing is rampant and toxic

I think this is a good explanation. O is a good place to break the ice. Learn the vocabulary. More than anything it makes you learn where to find stuff for yourself.
The questions that don't deserve their own thread threads are the most helpful place on this board- as long as you take the answers with a grain of salt. It's like having a mechanic friend to ask someone questions.

I just want to learn about them in general. I want to kinda just want to understand them more. I'm looking at cars right now, but am not looking to buy. Pic related is a car I think looks pretty cool.

Watch Initial Dick, it's how most of the fags here started out

>watch initial d
>research what was realistic what was not there
>buy a car
>lurk threads
>if post has something like "1/4 mile time" or "lap time vs other car" in it, you can safely discard the post

Thanks guys for all of the help.

No it hasn't.

In that case, you could do things like watch car-related shows (top gear, initial d, etc). It can help you get familiar with different types of cars and lingo. You can watch youtube videos on how different parts of cars work as well. After watching a bit you'll start to gravitate to cars that interest you more and you can start learning about more specific things related to those cars.

That makes sense. I've been getting into racing games recently. I just got DiRT Rally and might get a wheel. Do you think a game that immersive will help at all with car knowledge due to all of the types of cars and stuff or just help in general?

Yeah any kind of exposure is going to teach you stuff.

Cool. I didn't expect this positive a response. Usually threads like this just get me yelled at or warned for a ban.

if you are going to stay on Veeky Forums, avoid being an elitist bitch and you are going to be fine

For someone getting into cars, I highly recommend the forza series. Forza 2 and 3 really got me into cars, and those games are very easy to play and absolutely filled to the brim with car knowledge and facts and background.

You should get into forza horizon 3. Funnest game out of the bunch. It's a racing game but also a sandbox. Really fun with friends too.

Okay, sounds cool. Would you recommend a racing wheel? I'm really torn about it because DiRT Rally is really hard on controller. The only issue is I don't have much experience with a manual transmission.

I actually play everything with a controller
>inb4 pleb
So you should have no problem. But getting a racing wheel and pedals (with clutch) and manual shifter would definitely make the experience much better, if you're willing to spend the hundreds on it.

Also, dirt 3 for the 360 is really fun, if slightly older alternative to dirt rally if you want to race with a controller

>The only issue is I don't have much experience with a manual transmission.
You can easily learn by playing these games. That's how I did it. First in forza, then I watched a little YouTube and learned in real life. That was last year. Been driving a manual ever since.

I think a lot of Veeky Forums boards are the same way honestly.

I'm a regular on /p/, and that board taught me a LOT about photography, photo technology and honestly made me a way better photographer from when I started.

But you have to take nearly everything with a grain of salt, wade thru the shit and realize that the guy tearing apart your photos might not have even touched his camera in 2 years. He might even be intentionally trying to get you to give up on yourself, it happens all the time.

I got Dirt 3 before Dirt Rally because people said Dirt Rally was too hard. I just got Rally because Dirt three didn't have enough rally driving only.