Is there any circumstance in which grip ISN'T faster than slip on paved roads?

Is there any circumstance in which grip ISN'T faster than slip on paved roads?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yEEEGOdmqGA
youtube.com/watch?v=37qjVcriuUw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

On paved roads? No.

yes, when an 86 is racing

on really low grip car in a tight turn a tiny bit of doriftu to get the car pointed at exit will be tiny bit faster.

switchbacks on tarmac rally and high speed sweepers on motorcycles.

youtube.com/watch?v=yEEEGOdmqGA

Look at how every time he's on the throttle he's using it to steer the bike, This isn't like a drift though, it's sliding the bike just a little to get it to turn more.

When your tires are bald from the first 80% of the race

you have to slip a little to get the most grip

Sweaty S2K man had it right. You should be right on the edge of slipping to be fastest.

Depending on your tires about 5% slip angle are your maximum grip.
That is why you want your car to get neutral into the corner too have 5% slip angle on front and rear tires.

Get hydrated, God Hand

If your car has a giant tail and front finn you coud theoreticly gain latheral accelleration with a higher slipangle due to a higer angle of attack on the finns, wich would give you aerodynamic latheral force instead of tire grip.

I haven´t seen any car where this would actualy apply yet, so it is just hypothetical.

When the end goal is popularity and a sponsorship drifting is faster

>latheral force

Get hydrated, God Hand

Get Hydrated, God Hand

Get hydrashu, God handru

Did I misspell something?
My english isn´t that well...

cars with low torque output, and very peaky engines will benefit sliding around very tight corners to keep the rpm up in the power band if the tires are the exact kind you need. too grippy and you won't be able to spin them, not enough grip and you'll spin your tires instead of accelerate. go-karters will often do this. i also saw a video of the """drift king""" talking about hitting apex markers on purpose to upset the balance of the car causing the wheels to spin and keep the rpm up. He's also a shit at getting good lap times so i question this method.

yes, in a circle

GET HYDRATED, GOD HAND

There is a techique around for insanely small powerbands, wich was used extensivelx in the 70s moto GP 50ccm class where the driver used the clutch to keep the engine in the extremely narrow powerband.

But these where insanly high strung engines making power (15-30hp) at about 15.000rpm or higher and only had a 700rpm powerband.

There is a reason why F1 monoposts nor endurance cars go for dorifuto!

The fact is your tires will always slip, albeit slightly. Look at superslowmotion replay clips of racecars going over bumps.. you can see that they are not following in a straight line but that they are sliding sideways ever so slightly even without their tires slipping from the lack of traction.

There is one good exception and it is apparent when it comes to 4wd rally cars - if you can point your car into direction where you want to go and use excessive power to push your car into that direction, it may be faster than going slowly and relying on lateral stability and careful management of slip angle. This is more pronounced on lose surfaces than on tarmac even though it works there in some sense too.

Some systems with active dynamic braking can pivot front of the car and let the end swing around adding to push-in effect but that is negligible in racing applications as you are using brakes (wasting kinetic energy).

You meant lateral, but you wrote latheral, and lather is the bubbly stuff soap makes.

Lateral = sideways
Lather = soap suds

a good example is my s2000, if i go around a very tight corner in first, if i try doing it full grip, my rpms might drop to 4000, which is way below where my engine makes any power. then exiting the corner i will have to painfully wait for the rpms to climb again before i start to accelerate quickly.

if i spin my tires however, i can keep the power band around 6000rpm, which is where i need it to be on corner exit, and waiting for the tires to regain traction is much quicker than waiting for the rpms to climb again, it just puts more strain and wear on the car.

That being said this is a very specific example that works for my car.

Somehow initial d managed to get it right when they were discussing god hands technique, it seems to be the absolute fastest way to drive an s2000 on tight roads, little bit of slip and keep the power up, but not enough to lose speed.

not that guy but I've never heard of lather and I've been shitposting on Veeky Forums for 10 years. how is this possibru.

>bike doesn´t stay outside
>bike stays next to my bed
pic related

Read the back of a shampoo bottle sometime

ayy nice simson

youtube.com/watch?v=37qjVcriuUw

i used to do this in gt V in the classic beetle. trying to drag race it was shit so i just slipped the clutch at redline until i could shift. Self-made CVT

Usually you stop doing that once you hit peak torque in a gear.

The English language is so vast that there's bound to be words you've never encountered, even after ten years. I'm a native speaker and I still find words I've never heard before every month.

These don't look like paved roads to me.

Holy shit, read a book.

>There is a reason why F1 monoposts nor endurance cars go for dorifuto
Both bad examples. Formula cars are incredibly reliant on downforce, which they will lose if they yaw more than a tiny bit. Endurance racers are obviously focused primarily on endurance, and races are won and lost by less than the time it takes to perform a tire change.

Most of what I find are technical terms or Latinate words people don't use outside of academia, senpai.

Fuck off God Arm.

Manuals and didactic lit. don't count.

Get Hydrated, God Hand

Get Hydrated, God Hand

underrated but true

Guess WHY the rely on downforce or what for that downforce it. What does it prevent... if going sideways was any faster than sticking it.. they would dump that drag-inducing downforce and keep sliding like Takumi with tofu. But they don't. Because grip is faster and to keep grip you need shitloads of downforce.

Get hydrated nip nong ching chong

Yep It's so that they can get it straight faster and accelerate out of the corner earlier.

i assume liftoff oversteer and letting the back step out on a FWD is faster

As long as you don´t have ludicrous amounts of understeer, you will be slower.

why would grip ever be slower?

I stand corrected

Now I am intersted, how could you drive faster in a given circle when your tires are not utilising 100% of their maximum grip?

driving into the future turning angle predicted by your slip

in a circle you can keep this angle and simply accelerate beyond what grip can get you.

i explained that poorly. basically in a circle, the best line is always inside. so there's no cheating to find the best line, you drive into it with all your power.

But your lateral force is lower if you exceed about 5% slip angle, wich means your g force gets lower, wich means you can´t corner as fast.

that only matters when you have to get out of the turn- shifting your weight.

in a turn you simply accelerate, putting more g-force behind you.

it's a balance, drift too much and you'll slow down, but stay gripped, and you'll be locked into a wide angle around the track.

>*in a circle

In a circle you would actualy get slower when exeeding about 5% slip angle.
But you loose lateral force when you accelerate since you increase your slipangle
pic related shows the maximum acceleration your tires can handle vs slip angle

further explanation- you want to be a little bit slower while slipping, but accelerating through it, pointed into the turn, and riding a smaller line toward the center of the track.

if you have too much grip, your top speed will be throwing you sideways, rather than the angled drift.

you're wrong cause you keep failing to visulize my point. the fastest line is on the inside, it doesn't matter if you're a little slower.

slide your car out and power through it, then you can ride the inside.

In a circle both cars would take the same line, wich means both experice the same latheral force at when driving the same speed.
But the car driving closer to the 5% slaip angle can handle more latheral force and is therefore faster.

also when I say "slide your car out" I'm not talking about initial d drifting. too tight or too loose on the track are both flaws in a racing oval. you want to ride the knife's edge of losing control

>In a circle both cars would take the same line
holy shit you're retarded.

If the circle is the same diameter for both, both take the same line. (atleast with the front wheels)

no, nigger. fuck off now

Wich different line could you possibly take on a circle with a given radius?

the line created by the geometric difference in the slip you fucking retard. If your back end is out, you are on a fundamentally different line than someone using full grip

you're such a fucking nigger. I'm pissed off.

So the grip focussed car can take the circle on the inside relativel to the drifting car?

No, the opposite. The grip focused car will have all forces pushing laterally, keeping him on an outside line relative to a drifting car at the same speed (using more engine power). because THAT guy is directing the energy lost in the slide into correcting his direction. His back end has to work harder, but he can drive into forces the grip focused driver cannot- utilizing the 'drift' angle.

This ONLY works on an oval where you stay in the turn. In natural turns (Corners), you want to maximize the speed at which you leave the turn so you can accelerate on the straight and overtake. On an oval track, you can be a little slower and perpetually on the inside.

It's a different racing philosophy.

Watch NASCAR. You'll hear the drivers discuss how tight or loose their car is. They're discussing grip in the turns.

The gripfocussed car has can handle higher acceleration due to the optimised slip angle, so it can corner with about 10-20% more acceleration.

If you step on the throttly you loose these 10-20% total acceleration and move outwards or slow down.

for comparisson look at the position of both styles of driving on the slipangle/total acceleration chart:
the total available force from a low slipangle is higher than from a high slipangle

true nigger. still arguing like they're on the same lines

fucking nigger. I knew you were a nigger, but I posted real information anyway. God damn it. Fucking nigger.

I am Fahle, not a negroid.

Back to topic:
The circle shaped road is the same for both cars, so both have to pick retty much the same line.
The grip car however can move its centre of gravity closer to the inside since its rear end doesn´t swing out at a high angle.

Also you still have to explain me how a car can possibly turn faster with lower total acceleration, as far as I know cornering faster means higher acceleration.

in what fucking barbie ken dollhouse fantasy land can a grip nigger stay on the inside line of a track, stay as fast as everyone else, and not slide out to the outside? you're a fucking absolute nigger.

The grip focused driver can stay inside the track since he utilises the maximum total accelleration (about 1,1G for good tires) of his tires, shown in the picture above.
If someone would use a higher slip angle he would would loose total acceleration (about 1,0G with the same tires) and couldn´t stay on the track.

m8, not even in time attack on the Nürburgring in the Karusell corners would it be possible for a drifter to outcorner a grip car.
If it would be possible, someone would do that.

>nigger crew can't even fathom a track that's too fast for grip

CIRCLE

By incresing your slipangle (drifting) you decrease your total available tire grip (diagramm above).
If you step on the accelerator wheith nor more available grip, you change the vector of the applyed force, but keep the force itself the same sice you only have limited grip.
When you lower your cornering force, you increase the cornering radius.
When you increase the cornering radius at the same cornering force you need more time for the circle.

with a lot of fwd cars you want to upset traction to turn

Take a bath