/indie/ - Indie And Obscure Games General

Rubbering action edition

Last thread:
>What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy,Cookie Clicker, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WP32taA2T2o
youtu.be/fwjoNFoOsPs
gamejolt.com/games/v-h-s-video-horror-story/230087
ghost-in-a-bottle.itch.io/octopus-city-blues
vltmn.itch.io/the-endless-express
machinestudios.itch.io/maia
j.itch.io/vampire-of-the-sands
dirigogames.itch.io/stowaway
vgperson.itch.io/libretta
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Whoops, last thread is actually:
Umihara Kawase is a series of platform games about swinging around on a fishing line, originally on the SNES, PS1, and 3DS, but they're all on Steam now. They're tough to learn but very rewarding, with a light relaxing atmosphere.

Great statement right before the thread died. We're not resilient, we're undead.

How long has /indie/ been a general, do you know? I've started a couple but only just pasting the last thread OP text.

Undead is fun.

Anyway, I actually brought Copy Kitty. I'm pretty excited, the game is pretty fun. A lot of power combinations plus fast action. Also developer is really working hard on it.

Here is a vídeo for those curious:

youtube.com/watch?v=WP32taA2T2o

Wed 08 Jul 2015 20:33:50 according to archives.

Wow, we're way older than I thought.

should i play vanilla stardew valley first? or are there any "must have" mods that don't change the game much

Aww yeah. Can't keep a good general down (for long)

Why is Yume Nikki fanart so damn good?

I just got Welcome To The Game for ~$3 AUD on steam. Only 10mins in, slow boil, tutorial dump and heavy handed one at that (this is your browser, this is your notepad, watch out for kidnappers and the serial killer ok byeeee!) But overall I like the atmosphere and rigid design.

If call it the thinking man's FNAF. I do love how it's a little uncanny... The way the house is designed very plainly along with the very minimalistic design of the computer and phone, even the curtains next to you. It's so plain and generic that is easy for it to feel like "this could be like you".

But like I said I'm only past the tutorial and clicked the first 10 links so far. So I'm not 100% sold on it just yet... lord knows other games could and indeed have done a complete 360° and walk out the door before do I'm not holding my breath expecting to much for a -$5 game.

Anyone played this? Thoughts? Tips 'n' tricks? Things you'd like to point out?

Haven't played it. What's the appeal of the FNAF and similar games? Does the storyline go anywhere?

>I do love how it's a little uncanny... The way the house is designed very plainly along with the very minimalistic design of the computer and phone, even the curtains next to you. It's so plain and generic that is easy for it to feel like "this could be like you".

Reminds me of the horror game Anatomy, which I highly recommend.

Honestly I've never really gotten into fnaf. I did the usual. Played 5-mins of 1-4 kept running into the same brick wall of too scary* to play so can't really tell if there's anything me to it. It just seems like it's made for youtubers and theorisation of its "plot".

*I don't find it as scary as much as it startles me. Its easy to be startled by a big REEEEEEE at every corner but it just means I can't keep playing it for too long. (See Yatzee Croshaw's: Zero Punctuation Fnaf video for more. Same opinion.

But yeah. I played each game for a few mins realized I don't actually ENJOY playing this GAME so I watch markiplier play it and matpat explain it (Game Theory).

>I don't find it as scary as much as it startles me.

Same here. Doesn't seem like there's much else to it.

Horror's a tricky genre.

it's not tricky it's just ruined by people trying to reinvent the wheel! :^)

I play most of my games headphones on:
Voices 90%
SFX 95%
Music 0%
Ambient 90%

More "realistic" adds to immersion. And I even do the same to horror games. (Yes I know the score/ost adds to the experience but I usually save it for my less invested; less immersed play through [things like the elder scrolls and the witcher are amazing and epic with music but its easy to project yourself when swords and other sounds are louder than a guy talking to you, as it should be, and the magical invisible orchestra aren't telling you when your being chased by smashing all the instruments together as the pianist slams down on the keyboard])

I say a horror game should scare you without the big " !!!! D U N !!!! " from the music. refer to resident evil 2 vs dead space 2. That's the comparison I make. They are both just as scary as far as action/survival horror goes but one is more soundtrack then atmosphere. I'm sure you xsn figure which one is which. (Only middle ground is DS2 had those damn air vents and RE2 had the windows... f****** crows!!!

>Music 0%

Madman 100%

I do that too sometimes. Max Payne 3's a very different game without the music. But I've never done it in a horror game. Outlast really annoyed me with it's !!! DUN !!! shit, wonder how that'd hold up without it?

It's the kind of game that attracts creative minds.

Oh its fucking great without it. The psychos usually yell some eerie shit we ever they see you anyway (not that you hear anything past the first 2 words before the aforementioned !!! DUN !! so it's just as good and in my opinion better. You start immersed and remain just as scared/startled by them.

*creeping around the corner crawling on the floor... camera out of battery no night vision* you hear a noise. You turn around and see a figure towering over you--

"T H E R E Y O U A R E"
"COME BACK HERE SO I CAN GUT YOU LIKE A FISH"
"OOOH I CAN TASTE THE BLOOD ALREADY"

I find re7 does this well with John/daddy the way if you open a door to a room he's in obliviously he'll just say a quick.
"WELL FANCY SEEING YOU HERE" and drop what he's doing to chace you while saying more things like that. "WELL SHIT, DONT SLOW DOWN OR NUTHIN, IM RIGHT BEHINE YOU BOI !!"

Forgot the tag.
Yeah obvious like I said some games with less realism or not ss much emotional investment can do with the over-the-top-90s-action-movie-epic-guitar-testosterone-booster but save that for the classic CoD 2 WWII shooters with the patriotic af trumpets of masculinity.

Surprised I didn't see this general sooner.

That sounds pretty cool, gonna need to try it sometime.

Respect the dead.

No!

Started Detention, seems pretty good so far.

Oh that game looks really interesting.

I'm liking it thus far. Surprisingly light on plot but what's there is good, very much your old school Silent Hill horror but with Taiwan history instead of psychology.

Will you promise not to die if I go to bed, /indie/?

No
I will also go to bed.

Card Quest can go here I guess, since nobody on /v/ wants to talk about it. Anyone else playing it?
Is wizard underpowered or do I just suck?
How is rogue supposed to deal with enemies (particularly bosses) with contact damage? Trick dodge just isn't reliable enough.
Berserker school on fighter. What's the point?

hello friends i am back, teach me

I think reading the codex 2012-2016 GOTY thread gave me permanent brain damage. And here I was thinking I would finally learn if Xulima (came in 25th place) is worth playing and why. It's been sitting on my backlog since an unfortunate failed roll during a GOG insomnia sale thread.

Mutants?

You better appreciate it, bitch.

Yo this looks fun. How randomized are the decks?

Your deck is determined by your style and primary and secondary weapons. Each one accounts for 4 to 6 cards, plus there's a couple of mill + stamina recovery cards that are always present. Equipment can be mixed and matched for varied playstyles. The other three pieces of equipment are supplementary items you can use in combat.

Any stardew valley fans here? Who is your favorite marriage candidate?

this is a penny general

we permit the lower breeds to marry haley too, someone has to do the dumb labor

Is Wild Eight any good or is it just another generic survival game?

Ah so you don't build the deck yourself. Interesting approach coming from stuff like baten kaitos.
Defenitely added to my wishlist.

Is it early access? Then yes it is generic.

Yeah, it is
It got its kickstarter funded like a year ago

La-Mulana 2 when?

Apparently it still gets updates for backers.

How long is Torment anyway? I haven't even seen like half of the companions yet but already have a blade I can most likely sudoku with at the end of the game. That's pretty funny.

GOOD
GAME

Torment? Longer than Fallout but shorter than most CRPGs. I might be wrong. It was longer for me because I struggled a lot

All I've been playing lately is KOTOR

Lol I tried playing that on my passcard DS (or whatever it's called).

Cable kept breaking after ~5 minutes, thought it was a bug... nope, just piracy protection.

Sounds like I still have a long way to go. Ah well. With Int and Wis maxed out the game basically plays itself. Except for combat, which is still kind of strange as hell. I am not completely sure spells do what they should be doing. At least I casted Elysium's Tears for the first time, Fancy animation, 9 blue meteors hit the target... for a grand total of 1 damage, and no one standing right next to him takes any damage at all. Weird shit, or maybe I'm missing something.

Eh it was OKAY. It was extremely okay. Like, perfectly "okay".

Dunno what I would think if I wasn't comparing it to Cave Story...

LMAO that is genious.

It's better than cavestory
Got a way better gameflow and the stories is not just generic jrpg stuff.

Here are two party members from my game!
Progress!

Cute but strangely erotic?

whut gayem

Kero Blaster
It has 2 kind of demos on steam with Pink Hour and Pink Heaven.

Yeah the character design in this game is kinda like that.

Enormous hips will do that. Can't say I don't like it, though.

Man, /indie/ has held a lot of important moments in my life, it's like a big story over the past year.

>the death of /irg/ and subsequent birth of /indie/
>greenlight
>time of constant threads
>creation of the booru
>the disappearance of welp
>the rise and fall of midson
>the arrival of chara-user
>the great drought of posters
>the /indie/ Renaissance
>the redeath of /indie/
>the (possible) second rebirth of /indie/

Do you have any specific fond memories of /indie/?

Speaking of greenlight. The program will get killed off and replaced with system that has no user feedback but a higher initial buyin fee than greenlight.
It all sounds like it will fuck over the small and awesome indie games, especially free ones on steam that won't get the additional exposure now.

Yeah. Looks like small indies weren't making enough money for Steam. Jews gonna jew.

I found it comfy when that autist (here's hoping it wasn't you) was blogging about playing that weird game with a bird as the MC.

Honestly wouldn't mind more of that, as weird as it seems.

reminder that CLASSIC GAME exists

Do you remember what game it was?

Hello.
I come from the previous thread.
Following its creator's request, I played and made a video of CLASSIC GAME. Enjoy, maybe.
youtu.be/fwjoNFoOsPs

I will watch this later.

What's the main draw of that game? Why should I play it?

reminder that TWOHEADED MUTANT exists

Are there any other good games like Shadow Tactics?

I'm really sick right now, /indie/.
Do you have any campy game suggestions to help cheer me up?

How about shadowrun? I hear the first from the new is ok but honk kong is really good.
Campy game?

>It's better than cavestory

I thought so too.

creeper world 3

Bump

>humanity had a great civilization
>trillions of people were killed by the creep
>humanity exists only by a thread, fleeing planet to planet until they discover a way to banish spawners
>spawners are teleported either far away, to some other dimension
>the creep will inevitably consume everyone in that universe or galaxy as well

a real heartwarming thought

Finished this. Highly recommended.

gamejolt.com/games/v-h-s-video-horror-story/230087

Here's a horror game I found for anyone into that

Late to the party but I just finished the Lisa series, great ride. I liked Joyful a lot too despite all the negative reviews.

Also glad that /indie/ is still alive

Who was your main crew though

Terry, Nern and Olan

I lost Nern to that guard in the bathhouse caves though

ghost-in-a-bottle.itch.io/octopus-city-blues

What do you guys think of this? It looks promising and is supposed to come out this year.

>guard in the bathhouse caves
Wait huh I don't remember anything like that, what happened?

I was referring to this turd

Hmm. Doesn't look familiar.

Wow that pixelart animation is awesome. The sound and style and all reminds me of Secret of Evermore somehow.

What are the best games from itch.io? It seems to be the new spot for indies but it's been hard to find good stuff there

I enjoyed this game

vltmn.itch.io/the-endless-express

You can search by genre last I checked. Just pick a genre tag, look at what comes up and download stuff.

The best stuff (I've played) from itch is also on Steam.

I mean, it'd be silly to do an itch exclusive at this point, money wise.

Just as a single data point, my game made 40x on Steam what it did on itch.io

This looks pretty cool, anyone played it?

machinestudios.itch.io/maia

This looks like shit, anyone played it?

j.itch.io/vampire-of-the-sands

I got this a while ago, it was pretty good

dirigogames.itch.io/stowaway

This, too, by vgperson

vgperson.itch.io/libretta

Yeah Steam seems better however they're killing off greenlight

This really feels like an Ib ripoff and I was pretty dissapointed. Is this still true by the end? That coupled with the random lag made me quit playing but I was thinking of giving it another chance, I like vgperson.

It's yet to be seen if they're killing off indies.

$100-$500 (maybe even as far as $1k) then indies will do alright.

$5000 though may very well be the end of casual indies on Steam.

>game made 40x on Steam what it did on itch.io
Of course you'll get more purchases through Steam, it has at least 4 orders of magnitude bigger userbase than itch.

Fairly similar to Ib, yeah.