How the fuck are auto workers' wages so high?

How the fuck are auto workers' wages so high?

An 18 year old redneck can get a job at one of the Big Three making 40k/yr.

Implying 40k after high school is a lot

- Alberta Canada

40k usd with no college ain't bad

Without a degree it's pretty good. Depending on how much money in loans you've gotta pay back, $40k without a degree could be worth more than $60k with a degree. Also location is a big factor in the United States. $40k in rural Kansas is worth a hell of a lot more than $40k in NYC

>unions
>weak politicians

>$40k to stand in one spot all day and do a shit-tier repetitive job all fucking day long and then lose 6 months of pay when the factory retools and have people tour the facility watching you while you work and taking photos of you so they can remember that loser faggot putting the doors on at the auto factory, did you really read all thislol.

No thanks.

>tfw my college diploma qualifies me for 40k Canadian salary

Because they're unionised and unions look after worker interests. Good for them.

Are you implying that 40k a year is 'high'? That's pretty much the minimum you need to enjoy a middle class standard of living, and yes blue collar workers should at least be making that much. 40k a year really isn't much at all these days.

I'm in apprenticeship for working as a blaster, and expect to earn about $100k including that extra overtime that comes naturally with the job after I'm finished.

OP is cucked hard

>everyone on Veeky Forums earns over $40k
>everyone on Veeky Forums drives $2k shitboxes
Adds up.

inb4 "I choose to drive a shit car by JEWKEKSJWSRRREEEEEEEEEE"

>tfw my university degree qualifies me for a 120k canadian salary but they're not hiring
ChemEng sucked after 2013.

Unions

40k a year is high? Are you a literal jew?

40k as a start looks good.
In Germany its the average (41k BEFORE taxes) of all workers so for a young person who just started working its good

Same reason almost all the US auto companies went under back during the recession happening.

40k starting for an 18 year old right out of high school who's main task is to do menial shit eight hours a day is a lot of money.

Bull-fucking-shit

I work at a factory and the average wage is like 20 grand barely in a year, shit's fucking miserable as hell and the work is so damn depressing.

Auto workers have a big union with a powerful lobby.

a blaster?

Join the union, pay your dues. In five years you'll earn double that and have a job for life unless you literally kill someone at work.

If you really think 40k is a lot of money you're either a jew or an ignorant child

Called it If you think an 18 can earn more show me proof.

This is in Europe though. And if I don't kill the spear chucker working next to me in a year, I'll kill myself.

>tfw work for auto manufacturer
>tfw make more than 40k a year
>tfw no union

Glad i dont work for the big 3

Depends where you are, if it's france or germany and you're not in the union you must be genuinely retarded. In the UK the union isn't as powerful but production line workers still earn more than a car mechanic despite having an easier job(I know, I was one).

You can look up UAW wages and see what they bargain for. Rednecks are making 60k a year to do a job a robot could.

$40k a year is enough for a comfortable middle-class life in a lot of the US.

>tfw my degree qualifies me for $140k Canadian per year if I feel like working overtime

Too bad all the cities that pay the big money are shit.

>degree
>qualifying you for a wage
Is that what they told you when you signed the check? If so you should ask for a refund.

Find me a job that I could get right now that pays more than my current job does, but doesn't require a degree

>you can't

Working on an oil rig north of the arctic circle

Either way, how does that support your claim that a degree "qualifies" you to earn a certain amount? There is no official recognition in the hiring world that allows you to trade in your diploma for a certain salary. A degree alone qualifies you to earn exactly 0 dollars. I guarantee you there are people with your degree from your school that are unemployed, working at a coffee shop, or interning for free.

>hard labour in a frozen shithole for barely any extra pay

Hard pass.

And I see what you mean about "qualifying", but anyone that isn't autistic will know what I mean. It qualifies me to do this specific job, and this specific job can pay $140k a year.

>I guarantee you there are people with your degree from your school that are unemployed, working at a coffee shop, or interning for free.

Given what the degree is and the kind of job(s) you get with it, you'd have to be retarded, lazy, or both to not have a job after graduating. I had a job two weeks after graduating, most of my friends had a job within a month.

Dynamite