Crossovers are the best car option for active young people

Seriously...Name a better option...Also no wagons since the U.S has something against affordable wagons.

>Also no wagons since the U.S has something against affordable wagons.
That something is the fact that station wagons have to meet the same fuel-efficiency standards as regular sedans, and SUVs get classed as "light trucks" and are allowed to have much worse mileage/emissions. It being much cheaper to meet the looser efficiency standards, SUVs are what gets built and sold.

Wait..you mean something that is pretty much a sedan has t abide by sedan fuel standards? WOAH SO UNFAIR.

And suvs are pretty much light suvs...most of the are built on truck platforms anyways...at least they used to be.

Sedans and hatchbacks are pretty big nowadays and compact crossovers tend to be lifted hatchbacks. If people knew what they actually need they would go back to sedans and hatchbacks.
Also retarded CAFE standards favor trucks and bigger cars.

HATCH
BACKS

>most of the are built on truck platforms anyways...at least they used to be.
Not for the past like 10 years.
>lift up a hatchback
>it's now a truck

its called a sub compact u fuccboi

I spent 5 years with a sedan and as much as I liked it I really needed a crossover. It was like playing car jenga everytime I needed to do something. If you are a plain jane nobody who has no real outdoorsy hobbies and doesn't really do anything but commute to and from work I would 100 percent recommend a compact sedan...midsized if you do moderate highway driving.

Actually I don't even really have a"real" crossover...I have one of those lifted hatchbacks that get classified as a subcompact crossover or light suv...that would depend on locality though.

What do you drive, Satan?

I have people in and out of my car all the time. It's really useful to have a crossover so it's easy for them especially in the back seat.

Plus I really like the way it rides and handles.

>It was like playing car jenga everytime I needed to do something.
I don't know that feel.

Are you bragging that your jalopy literally becomes useless once you add a bike?

I am an active young person and my 86 is fine.
Can fit all my camping gear in it, gym bag etc.

Why would I need a crossover?

For the last 15-20 years, the basic strategy for selling cars to Americans has been to dress up one kind of car as another.

It started with the SUV craze. People liked the capacity and ride height of the earlier truck-based SUVs, but not the truck-like handling characteristics.

Mini-vans provided this on a car chassis with handling to match, but mini-vans are uncool. Thus, carmakers started building "SUVs" on car platforms- basically restyled mini-vans.

Then the gas crunch happened, and everything started scaling down. Newer SUVs were made from lifted hatchbacks, and the "crossover" term was coined as a catch-all for these gourd-shaped turds.

It wasn't just crossoverss, either. Some hatchbacks got smooshed into ridiculous "sedans", and even sub-compacts were adorned with 4 doors. Fuckers even chopped the D-pillars off wagons and added a liftback so they could call them "4 door coupes".

tl;dr you drive a crossover because makers of cars for Americans have turned every-fucking-thing into a crossover

Because the crossover is probably faster

What the fuck is this thread

Are you an automotive marketing person trying to convince young people to buy crossovers? Why would you do this?

You can buy the crossover that:
>gets worse gas mileage
>has worse handling
>all the downsides of a sedan and all the downsides of a larger SUV

or a hatchback:
>better handling and MPGs
>looks better
>doesn't have the downsides of a larger vehicle

What does your crossover do that a comparable hatch doesn't? Get a rack for your bike, so you've got room for your shit.

Don't even say anything about going "offroad", anything that's not a BoF SUV or Truck is ass for offroading.

This is why it's fucked up:

> wagon = car = car fuel efficiency standards
> wagon lifted 3" = crossover = SUV fuel efficiency standards

i drove a nissan qashqai for a while (2-3 weeks)
and honestly?

i get the crossover thing, at least as to why these things sold so much. the 2.0dCi M9R engine with the auto box? its probably the polar opposite of an "enthusiast" combo but it goes decently, is smooth, and is just "soft". steering is light and it is so easy to maneuver in the parking lots, tight streets etc.

so basically? given the option i would at least consider a crossover. something like a GLC 43AMG, other than the ugliness, would be amazing. probably wouldnt be my only car but def would be my daily if i had the money.
a macan is probably even better...

Did someone say lifted, 4x4 wagons for affordable prices ?

I know nothing about active young people.

I'm 23, slightly autistic and I drive a 25-year-old land barge.

>Name a better option
suicide. why would a crossover be more practical for "an active young person" than a golf? go on, I'm really interested.

more room
not a shit tier VW

A twingo

>more room
nice meme

You can fit more shit in a bigger car.
The Golf is a tiny car.
An active young adult needs room to store all his eXtreme sports gear.

there is no extreme sport that is better served by a crossover than a small hatch due to things like roof racks

Crossovers can have roof racks too and fit more shit inside.

Checkmate athiest.

everyone I know that owns a SUV is crippled or fat or afraid of driving and needs the high sitting bus rider position

Fit what? I can get 4 snowboards, 4 adults, and 4 days worth of supplies for those adults in one little 5 door, a crossover is a joke for pleblord teens who think a ridiculous center of gravity brings them safety

A crossover can fit all of that, and then some more by virtue of being larger and having more room.

Checkmate athiest.

> crossover
Peasant

Yet you'll never take it off road, you'll never use it as the "sports" UV it's called. And will probably never actually fit the bs that all SUV and crossover owner say they put in their cars.

It'll just be another DD car that clogs up the roads and takes you to the cafe. Don't forget that most if not all of these new crossover cars are based on a front wheel drive platform so have fun taking it of road without getting stuck.

>Yet you'll never take it off road, you'll never use it as the "sports" UV it's called.
Crossovers are not SUV's. They are taller larger cars. They are not meant for offroad.

>It'll just be another DD car that clogs up the roads and takes you to the cafe.
No one cares about your autism or what you think is appropriate for other people. People can and will buy whatever the fuck they want. And you'll just ineffectually and pointlessly sperg out about it on the internet like a loser.

My malamute doesn't fit in the boot of my hatchback.
The wagons that are offered to me aren't to my taste.
The crossover seems the best option. CX5/Sportage/CHR/whatever else is in the segment.

Are Jeep Grand Cherokees Crossovers? I see a bunch of Mexican kids drive these around a lot.

As a car enthusiast, I'd hate to live in America

The 1 ton truck is the best vehicle for an active young person.

>Tons of space to put things
>Can get crew cab for all your babies and shit
>Can go off road to cool camping sites
>Can suck at driving and hit every curb and speed bump without issue
>Safe in the case of an accident vs. other vehicle.

>man-puking-from-several-orifices.jpg

but they aren't bigger inside, they are just lifted and get shitty plastic panels. a wagon is roomy, a crossover is not.

>Crossovers are not SUV's. They are taller larger cars. They are not meant for offroad.

So why on God's green earth are they marketed as off-roaders? If you think I'm lying, then answer me this. If they can't go off the road then why do they need to be raised? Other than the fake SUV aesthetics and impressing the Joneses.

Hatchbacks are gay, sorry bud.

I want a Golf all-track

With the rear seats down you can fit a hell of a lot in my golf, and it's not a shit tier car m9. It's got decent pickup 170hp177lbft and a manual... Better HP than any of it's competitors from 2010 (other base model hatches and compact sedans)

No

What about that weird segment of subcompact crossovers that really are just lifted hatchbacks. Hrv, Trax/Encore, etc etc etc

A hatchback? I don't understand the question.

>cheaper
>drives better
>weighs less
>more fuel efficient
>subjective but looks better

lol @ this guy needing a "crossover" to do stuff outdoors.

If you wanna do actual offroad stuff, get something like a jeep/tacoma/frontier/4runner.
If you're just gonna drive down gravel roads to trailheads, get a sedan.

Though you're a pleb, so you'll get the vehicle that combines the worst of the two for that extra 2" lift. That's OK, crossovers are made for people who don't really care about the driving experience, and don't actually need to do any thing like real offroading or towing.

Oh yeah, pic related.

Crossovers have been done right way before they became an excuse to skirt government regulations.

Now they're fucking cancer.

Talking about cars and owning
>This

>name a better option
>also don't name the better option because reasons

Wagons. They're pretty much the best option for most use cases.

Please, explain what's wrong with the Si.

>inb4 muh hp

unnf

Because a lot of off-road applications aren't nearly as demanding as the lifted truck crowd likes to make them sound and it looks good in ads. A lot of people buy crossovers to better deal with snow, and the off-road rep helps sell them.

No good camping or hunting spot allows trucks off of designated roads.

Its not fucked up and you know why? Because when you lift something it creates more drag, and when more drag is created, fuel economy goes down

So while it maybe a lifted wagon, it should still adhere to the regulations set forth for other lifted vehicles

Because you basically own a Honda that is no better than an EX. Its redundant. You fell for the meme. The 2 door civic is insanely inconvenient .

>Buy a crossover to deal with snow
>Don't buy winter tires
>Get in a wreck anyway

>No good camping or hunting spot allows trucks off of designated roads.

Then there's no excuse to own a crossover if you're just driving down unpaved roads.

You're approaching this backwards. The idea is to decrease overall national fuel usage, not to push more vehicles into a low-mpg class.
Manufacturers are using it as an method to bypass the EPA fuel efficiency standards. Rather than engineer a sedan that gets 35 mpg, just jack it up a bit to put it in the "light SUV" class, and your 25 mpg flies.

It should be that they're held to the same standard to encourage consumers to buy the more fuel efficient sedan.

Also I'm not trying to be a dick and rag on your car. I honestly like SI's. The fact that your telling me "oh crossovers are useless" " I drive this and its so much better" is incorrect. While you might be right about being able to put around on gravel and dirt paths on the way to camping its probably THE WORST application to do some with.

After owning an 08 Civic EX Coupe, I can agree its probably the most annoyingly inconvenient car I've ever had.

>2006 Civic Ex: 140 bhp

>2006 Civic Si: 198 bhp
>upgraded suspension components all around
>limited-slip diff
>turbo is literally a bolt-on

Yeah they're basically the same.

I guess it depends on how often you do that. If I went camping out there every weekend, and I didn't own my WD21/could only own 1 car, I'd probably get an 09 era Outback H6. I just really dislike the higher-up positioning of crossovers for driving.

What did you find inconvenient? The rear seats fold down and it can hold a lot, also 30+ highway MPG.
I guess if you had kids it would suck.

If you drive a crossover the image it conveys is that you aren't into cars at all and generally have bad taste.

add a few mawds and a tune to a nomal civic

get 250hp WEW LAD

add a turbo to a Si

get 350hp WEW LAD

Plus if you're going to spend the money on hopping up a base model civic, you could just get the Si to begin with, and not be living with a continual project.

Crossovers are like the Leatherman of cars. Doing a little of everything is what they do best.

yea but it costs more

and if we want to play that game, just go get a fucking shitbox vee ate mustang and already have more power

There is no image. It's just thoughts in your brain.

Then get like 18 mpg and have the handling of a motorboat.

It's quick, nimble, efficient, and reliable. Not so practical or good in deep snow or offroad.
I didn't just buy it on impulse, it was basically the best cross between a DD and fun car at my price point.

Or you can call them what they truly are which is a jack of all trades and a master of none

>some people don't understand tires
>ergo crossovers are bad
flawless logic

>Then there's no excuse to own a crossover if you're just driving down unpaved roads.
Interior space, ease of getting in and out, and aesthetic preference.

this, new hatchbacks are as big as wagons used to be. so get a hatchback. its what I did upgrading from a 35 year old station wagon, and the space is just about the same.

lol

crossovers are the dunce cap of cars

fucking based.

>social perceptions are not a real thing
Ever wonder why people treat someone who drives a Ferrari different than someone who drives a Honda?

I drove the new 2017 Honda-CRV AWD and fell in love with it, higher ride height than peasant sedans, more ground clearance, cushier suspension so I don't feel the shitty roads honestly whats not to like? The not as quick acceleration isn't a factor since I have traffic signals every 1000 feet anyways

>He doesn't drive a full sized sedan
Kek

I fell in love with my rogue loaner car. I can only imagine how much better every other crossover must be compared to the Nissan.

>this mental gymnastics

Indeed user, while everybody else is playing catch-up to make shitty knockoff crossovers, Subaru is honing and perfecting their craft.

There is literally no reason to buy anything else besides an Impreza Outback Sport or Crosstrek if you're in the market for a crossover.

Same except with a Honda hrv. Though I would hate it because MUH SEDANS but its honestly great. Its a lifted hatchback basically. Its been 2 months and no regrets yet.

Why not just get a truck? You can do truck things and you have the benefit of not looking like a faggot or an elderly, possibly mother.

Typical truck bro comment. Not everyone has a small penis tyler.

I'm sorry an S10 owner fucked your wife m8

>Bragging about owning an s10

You wouldn't?

All young males should experience the joy that is a muscle car

When the fuck do you need so much cargo space or passenger room

go to bed grandpa and fuck up our future again tomorrow

or
>you can buy a 20 year old suburban/truck for peanuts from an old white guy and have no car payments
>and pay somewhat more in fuel

This is the problem with the younger generations. All the chemicals turning them into low test nu male cucks.

Every young man should want a fast loud car to lay chicks in. Truly the red pilled patricians choice.

go play with your jewculus rift or something you worthless faggot

Maybe if I lived in a trailer park but since I don't, no

>Every young man should want a fast loud car to lay chicks in
>dude muh dik lmao

This is why half of all western marriages end in divorce.

nice bait but you can get laid in a yaris if you can spit game.

>you're a weeb because you don't want to fuck around all day to drive in around straight line really fast.

a van. is the correct answer. think about this sports cars only have 2 seats. but you can put a bed a van cant do that with a cuckvette or a cuckmaro or cuckline gtr. who says your van has to be bare bones poverty pack?

because a van has lots of room lots of room for sounds and big tv as well as bed...

shilling is real

I like my Mazda CX-5.

Z-zoom zoom.

the letherman of cars? owned by hipsters with vagina beards (cos pussies have hair too) and no real subtitute for a tool box...

I looked at the HRV and felt it was just too small for me but it is pretty much a wagon with higher ride height

Get yoself a golf sportwagen. They are under 25k optioned and come with a turbo motor and stick shift.