> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

First for java

>(embed)
Fuck.

A new cute-scene iv been working on.

(being the cutscenes that are going to be shown at the end of a world as the transition to the next adding a new animal friend that is saved and brought along for the ride at the end of each world).

Wheres the previous thread link?

>(embed)

>Source: developer.valvesoftware.com

Putting the "A" in AGDG :^)

Post your plans for progress during this thread!

>you're retarded for caring that someone else is retarded

i'll make one of those. and then launch a new demo.

>previous thread link
Double fuck.

Previous: Maybe this will help.

Who else /writing everything first before doing actual game dev/ here?

Making my "themer" class generic, so I can just slap a component on a gui control, and select something from a dropdown and it'll take care of setting the hover/normal/disabled graphics, colors, and text colors

OP forgot Lumberyard, our next-gen early access game engine.

I'm not writing but I have a lot of lore in my head, and my game doesn't even have proper gameplay.

It's a good way to make sure my scope doesn't get all out of whack is what I tell myself

Do you have reading comprehension problems?
You are a retard for failing to realize that he was not going for realism and that the way he made it gives players a cleaner presentation of the weapon.

Pretty much finished the moving and damage scripts, I can change how many tiles a projectile can move per turn and set different death actions and scripts for each kind of object.

Next I will set up a basic currency system and let the player build his own turrets.
After that I will make an energy system so you have to connect turrets to power generators.

If I'm not going to finish comfy jam in time, what do I do?

You can update entries after the fact right?

How the fuck do I get good at background props

>beaver using such a flimsy saw
So it's someone using a seemingly superior but ultimately worse tool holding them back?

>twitch

If you're making a souls-like, then you're already finished all the writing you'll ever need friendo.

Should we report this thread and make a proper one like last time?

The samefag shitposter is obviously here.

Added a cow, so now you can harvest milk. Working on a windmill so you can grind up some wheat, and bake some tasty bread.

Probably work on chickens and eggs next.

Almost done with a new mechanic to buy/sell items in the black market at different locations. Just need to add a UI for it now.

>tfw I only have two months left to finish my uni thesis and I'm working on my game at every chance I get instead.
There has to be a clinical name for this kind of retarded behaviour.

Looking good Bokudev.

Who else geometrically challenged here?
Spent the whole day figuring out cairo tiling, because I'm a shitty hipster and don't want to conform to the square/hex binary.

And what ended up being coded. Still debating whether or not I should rotate it so it spreads straightly along x and y axis like in the png's lower left.

I'd touch that cow

Yeah just pload what you have then you can update it when you finish

I mean it looks pretty neat but literally why?

>it works even after I intentionally broke it

If you're going to take it upon yourself to make the OP you need to put dome goddamn effort into it boy

misleading thumbnail !!!

I don't get what the yellow platforms on the left and right are supposed to be. Is that bird carrying a bunch of flapjacks?

>finish basic framework for battle system
>start working on character classes
>maybe get some placeholder character / monster models in

Oh shit it's Plok

I do both since I'm one of those "Had a story for ten years that I've completed. I've worked HARD on this." guys. The main story synopsis is completely finished and planned out, along with all of the main characters. I've only got to write side content and dialogue.

I was looking for alternative, more organic looking world representations and figured I wasn't smart enough for Voronoi / Delaunay stuff yet, so I compromised with myself and ended up with this.
Basically Goldbluming this and looking where this leads me.

-Make test Main Menu with buttons that actually work
-Model some Trees
-Start building the test scene up more
-Work on World Map

>Didn't write shit
>Deving for 4 years with a lot of problems
>Decide to finally stop and write down my shit

Work on my game design document

How do I make a comfy crosshair?

Round

The motion of your animations always looks so unnatural and shaky.

make sure they add on to each other like Halo 2

That's very nice of you, user. Thank you! Owls are cool, aren't they? At summer I always hear their shriek around the house as the young ones are calling for their mother.

I'm happy that that picture made you a little bit better for some time, user. I wish I could give you something more than motivational speeches and the fact that I've read what you've wrote and would gladly listen to more if you would like to have a heart-to-heart. Take care of yourself, user! Those soldiers of yours need you so they can come to life.

>feigns interest in your wellbeing even if it isn't real
I know you won't believe me, but I do care. I've been part of several creative communities before, but let me tell you, game dev ones are the best. I can not explain this feeling, but even running around in the simplest prototype of a project could be fun. How come? Because you can still feel the mark of the enthusiasm of the creator. That honest enthusiasm when they first grabbed a controller and told themselves: damn, one day I want to make something cool like this! And now the day had come for him. So even if it's just a bunch of colored boxes floating around, you can still witness a humble dream starting to get fulfilled, which is very heartwarming.

Stay strong, anons!

Kittycat and the nose of the kittycat is the point!

Funny you should say that

>hand holding
Absolutely disgusting

>tfw you thought having concurrent events happening at the same time, using the same data was a good idea

It's okay if they're just reads user.

>latching to the bounding box instead of non-0 alpha pixels

I'm sorry :^)

But user, that requires more computing power than our modern day computers can handle. Think about the 0.000*e-1ms he'll save if he used the hitbox instead.

Well he could just make a tighter hitbox/capsule. Avoiding pixel perfect collisions isn't just about performance, it's about getting rid of snags, having better normal information, etc.

There was a video posted here a while ago of some low poly forest house or bridge being made. It was in a program everyone here seemed to rag on and say they could do the same thing in blender in half the time. Anyone have it? It was a drag and drop process sort of. Working with the tilesheet.

Love the emergence in this game

Crocotile

Fixed a ton of issues with background units pursuing foreground units and vice versa. Most of the issues were caused by the fact that background units' sprite positions don't match their logic positions, so I just made it so they pursue their target's sprite position instead. Made two different tracer sprites for foreground and background guns

Also broke collision detection again

Crocotile 3D

Thanks

So what kind of gameplay is this gonna have in the long run, beyond just flying around, shooting baddies?

Something like Ace Combat mission structure?

Wow, you're back.

This game is so broken you can make a grenade launcher by combining grenades with a drill.

I'd like to do some kind of mission structure like Ace Combat, but since it's much faster-paced than AC just because it's 2D I'm not sure how well it would work

I think that's my biggest problem going forward is how I actually squeeze a couple of minutes of gameplay out of each level. I don't want to slow it down too much but right now I think it plays too fast, you could destroy a dozen targets in 30 seconds

Posting some progress. In the past 2 days I fixed the inventory system, added stackable ammo in two types, added a shotgun and pistol, added a knife melee, added openable containers, added enemy AI that can hear you and be alerted to your presence when it is hit by your flashlight or hears you making noise nearby, enemies behind walls have dampened hearing so you'd have to do something really loud to piss them off, like looking a heavy metal drum or firing a gun.

Pistol and shotgun can be fired "from the hip" by tapping the lmb, or the lmb can be held down to aim and increase accuracy/decrease spread.

Weapons are reloadable, enemies can deal damage to you, enemies can pathfind around corners but are taught to stay in their current room unless the play is visually seen

Juicy feature

>working on a game with another guy
>I don't work super fast nor am I the most disciplined but I try and do get progress
>other guy worked on it the first two weeks then quickly stopped
>works on it 4 hours a week even though he's got plenty of time
>absolute lowest on his priority list
>getting him to work on it is like pulling teeth
>"nah I gotta do something in 30-45 minutes so can't right now"
>if he does work on it he will eventually encounter a problem which he will give up trying to fix after 15-30 minutes
>this is for the very early concepting stage where rough placeholders are just fine
>can't imagine how it would be for when it's time to put in actual effort and meet a certain standard of quality in things (which means upping the effort and time by a factor 10)

At this point I'm gonna give up and pick a smaller scale personal project, there's not point. If I tell him, he'll say he'll work on it, and will work on it for a little that day but two days later it's back to square one. He obviously has no real interest in it because he doesn't use his free time to work on it nor to try and improve his skills in something related to it.

Rant over, back to devv- oh wait right, gotta figure out what to do now.

I don't get it.
My flood fill algorithm is slow as hell, but I don't see how I can optimize it.
Is C# just slow when it comes to large arrays (bigger than 1024*1024)?

Flood fill is slow.

It is possible for an array to be too big to be held in memory at once, you know?

>falling for the collaboration meme
If I were join a project, it would be an existing one that I could just step into and augment their manpower, not something very small where I represented half the team

You just need a better processor.

>but I don't see how I can optimize it.
Threads and cache sized blocks

Honestly man. Make a small puzzle platformer alone and release it for like 99 cents.

Let that guy know that you released an entire commercial game while he has gotten almost nothing done.

Some people have awful workflow

>array larger than 1024x1024
nigga what are you doing

I have this same problem except the person I'm working with is legitimately skilled by the most unreliable person possible.

>I'll have this done at X
>Not done
>I'll do it right now
>Never gets done

I don't understand how anyone can just say they'll do something and NEVER do it.

Just give up on your game dev dreams already, user. You're too depressed to make a good game, and even if you weren't, your best efforts would be nothing but garbage.

Despite all my flaws I made great progress today.
You will not drag me back into the bucket!

Then what the fuck would I do instead? There's nothing I want to do other than gamedev.

So many amazing indie games are being made by so many diverse people. Everybody has the ability to create a fun game to share with the world as long as they have the patience and determination!

I think everyone here except the asshole guy can and will release an awesome game one day, and I'm psyched as fuck to play them all!
(plz send me your games for free, anons)

Is it possible to make a legit art style out of mixels

It's supposed to be done once at loading. It'll be okay if it doesn't take to much time.

The grid is actually divided into chunks (128*128). Flood fill is performed on each chunk, then a last pass is made to check intersections. It's way faster than perform flood fill on a large grid.
I could make it multihreaded, but I'm not sure about the algorithm yet.

I keep on eye on ryzen.

Pathfinding stuff.

>not using a navmesh

I can already feel the comfyness

>I could make it multihreaded, but I'm not sure about the algorithm yet.
You really should.

Could be he's using a flowmap for masses of mobs.

Is using Source a bannable offence?

reddit garbage

And why can't a flow map use a navmesh instead of a dense grid?

Is is now that you doxxed and killed a man.

This will haunt me in my dreams.

im working with someone and i am the person you guys are talking about.
>Feelsgood.jpg

FUCK YOU

This will haunt me in my dreams.

not my fault you guys are so autistic about gamedev, i do it because i think it's fun. After the initial 2 weeks it ain't fun no more.

Not my fault that you're a loser.

Then stop pussyfooting around and tell your partner. Just dozing around and saying "I'll get around to it" instead of "I don't wanna anymore" is wasting time. Valuable time, because it isn't yours.

Best way to pathfind on a flowfield? I know about Euler's method and the Trapezoid method, but are there any better ones for games? I don't need great precision or anything so maybe there are faster, simpler ways of "finding" (path is technically already found, I just need to steer the actor along it) a good enough path.