Rubicon: do I really need the Hard Rock?

What features that come with Hard Rock do really matter for offroading? And is there a way to find a more detailed list than on Jeep's "build your own"?

And, is it possible to remove features from any model? (I sure don't need the "premium audio system" off road and might be just fine with crank windows, to name a couple).

Why the fuck do you need the Rubicon? It's the most expensive of them all.

Lol jeep

The rock rails are nice, and the sway bar is good. I wouldn't consider an SUV that didn't have locking differentials, so that is meh. The skid plates would probably need to be upgraded, along with other shit

Tbh if you go buy a 90s YJ/4runner/etc for 5-6k and drop 12k on mods/replacing parts it would be much more of a value unless you absolutely need to have muh touch screen. Coming up on 40k for a new offroader just doesn't make sense to me personally

I've got an 05 Wrangler RME with a lift I'll let go of for 10k. My off-road adventure days are behind me. Better value, better machine, more dependable if all you're doing with it is off-road use.

Fiat just can't make a quality anything, hate to say it. I'd love to upgrade to a JKU, but I don't want to spend money on useless garbage. The new Heaps are all great in theory, but in practice they just don't hold up.

Long live the last of the True Jeeps, the TJ's.

>
>crank windows
Can you even have crank windows on JK?

>sway bar
(disconnectable) it's not specific to Hard Rock, though, it starts on Rubicon, yes?

>new
If something is fucked up in my car, I want to be the person that had done it and knows exactly how bad it was and how thoroughly it was fixed.

Old cars come with all sorts of quirks. I bought a car once (interestingly enough, from a preacher's son - only I didn't know that at the time), checked it thoroughly for all sorts of problems known to me, only to find out AFTER I gave the fucker the money that the door lock on the driver's door doesn't work, and find out when I got home that the hood handle was broken, then I realized why the fucker was so eager to pop the hood for me when I said I wanted to open it - he did it with pliers. Not to mention that three wheels were of one type and the fourth was of another.

None of that mattered because those were small things compared to the general condition of the car, but they didn't improve my opinion of how rotten the general populace is. Hence, new stuff for me, and we'll age together.

>buying a JK

come on man, don't play yourself.

If you wanna be Chad af, you gotta get the Hard Rock, brahs. In green. Baller right there.

>speaks incoherently
>wants to be understood
pick one

Show me one offroader comparable to JK that comes with a stick in US, and I might just change my mind. Trucks not eligible.

Get a Sport S and build it you fucking pussy

Don't do what this dummy said. It's a waste of money.

Afraid that might not cut it. There's not much but rocks where I am, and that crawl thing on Rubicon is simply not available in lesser trims, as well as the disconnectable sway bar - if I'm reading the manuals right, that is.

But, if I can build something better than Hard Rock out of the Rubicon by adding stuff I need and removing stuff I don't, then that's what I need.

Lol cause you're gonna wanna pay for a Dana 44 swap rite

>waste of money

6 speed, front and rear Dana 44s with electronic lockers, mud terrains, etc. all stock.

you guys are fucking idiots. WHY DOES NO ONE ON Veeky Forums ACTUALLY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CARS???????

oh yeah, and quick disconnect sway bars. all from factory. you guys are so stupid

>ACTUALLY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CARS???????
OP here.

I do. Just not the jeeps. Therefore, stupid questions. Gotta start somewhere.

>6 speed, front and rear Dana 44s with electronic lockers, mud terrains, etc. all stock.
I suppose you're talking about Rubicon and Rubicon HR?

What do you mean by mud terrains here? Doesn't click together with the context.

>quick disconnect sway bars. all from factory
Link, please?

>stupid
Not stupid. Uninformed. Your help is appreciated.

If you don't know what any of that is, why would you buy it? Look up all of those terms and see what they are, and wonder if you're going to use them. And if you don't care what any of them do, but you just want a Rubicon, then yes you want the Hard Rock edition.

>If you don't know what any of that is, why would you buy it?
I actually do already. However, as you can imagine, there's A LOT to know about Jeeps, and it's difficult to know all of it at once, so any help I can get is useful.

>Look up all of those terms and see what they are
Do you have any idea how long the list of the options is and how deeply it is hidden? Just the 2016 JK manual is 687 pages long, and this is just standard stuff, barely useful. So far, I've found over thirty optional components, and good fucking luck figuring out in which combinations they can be used and what packages they come with - and Jeep's own site sucks at that.

>And if you don't care what any of them do, but you just want a Rubicon, then yes you want the Hard Rock edition.
As a matter of fact, I can afford just that. But I didn't get there by spending my money indiscriminately, therefore I won't.

So, help?

I'm not going to spoonfeed you. Go to pavementsucks.com and lurk there for a few years like I did. You'll get a better grasp of the information. Basically the Rubicon uses hardware that is good for going anywhere, now figure out what makes it so special.

>pavementsucks.com
Now you're talking

>Rubicon
>now figure out what makes it so special
I already did. Look at the OP - all I need to know is the options difference between Rubicon and Rubicon Hard Rock, in one place. Like I said above, Jeep doesn't make it easy, and I'm not sure all this information is published. Believe it or not, every fucking Jeep dealership in 20 mile radius already knows me by first name, and instead of running to greet me in hordes, the fuckers scatter and pretend to be very busy when I'm entering the door, 'cause they don't have answers for me.

Op, I have a 10th anniversary Rubicon with the same features as the hard rock.

It's great if you are not planning on keeping it mostly stock. The bumpers feel solid, the winch placement is decent (a bit of a pain relocating the vacuum pump) but overall it's a solid combo. You can mount the AEV tire carrier and fuel tank on the rear bumper too. I'll find some more pics of the kit tomorrow.

If you are planning on doing a lot of modification just get a set of aftermarket bumpers and rails to suit your needs instead..

Sounds like your dealerships suck if they can't even tell you the difference.

Get tread lightly membership, wait for the 2% below invoice eligibility and custom order from a dealership that knows their shit. Sure it'll take a couple of months but you'll get a vehicle made for your needs exactly the way you want it.

>dealerships suck
Not just Jeep. Once you get to the right side of the bell curve, life starts to really suck because you're able to identify problems other people are just oblivious to.

>if you are not planning on keeping it mostly stock
I'm a bit confused - did you mean if I do keep it mostly stock?

>The bumpers feel solid
Been thinking about that. I've dealt with plastics in my other hobbies, and learned to respect it a lot, for one reason - it may be a bit less strong than steel, but it springs back keeps shape even if it cracks. I am not risking bending it into, say, a tire, and rendering the vehicle immobile (happened to one of my friends on a street car). Are steel bumpers really better for offroad use?

>planning on doing a lot of modification
I'd rather spend time offroading than working on it if I can help it.

Well it's a little late but yeah. If you don't want to bother changing much these are great.

>Steel over plastic
I've gotten into spots where the steel is better. I doubt a plastic one could nudge a fallen tree off the road, handle the winch and also survive some scrapes with rocks. These are expensive enough that you can just get a stock bumper and replace it with an after market including fitting if you destroy it.

Do you have a 4wheel parts store in your area? Maybe drop by and have them price out an aftermarket alternative for you.

>Use it not work on it
Yeah if you want to pay for convenience, go for it. I did that with mine and haven't regretted it. Driven all up the Rockies to Canada, Moab, the Sierras, up to the Arctic ocean and it's never given me trouble. Everything fits together nicely.

It's best to start with a Sport model and upgrade differentials / axles. You save thousands, get ste same engine, trans, and interior, but get the best aftermarket diffs, axles, and suspension with the ratios that match how you drive.

How do you feel about LSD's user?