Starting in rally?

ok, so i've been really interested in rally and want to become a driver. how would i start out? i was thinking maybe volunteering at rallys and getting to know people involved, or becoming a rally mechanic to get started. does anyone here have any advice for me to achieve this goal?

Other urls found in this thread:

sno-drift.org/
discord.gg/9CABP
youtube.com/watch?v=8mwFmJ15Us4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Get a manual shitbox and enter local rally events. You're bound to beat someone.

i don't really know where to find local events though.

I'm in the exact same boat. Only problem is I live in Missouri, and I haven't been able to find any events or clubs or anything rally related around here.

Same. In the same boat as you op, I have no fucking idea how to find rally events.
Starting to think there just aren't any in Florida.

i'm in florida, but i'm moving up north eventually. what other places do you think is a good area for rally..?

Theres the snodrift events in georgia

here's the link sno-drift.org/

Michigan, Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Maine, Vermont off of the top of my head.

okay, so i think i kinda have something planned out. i'm getting an subaru impreza, just like the one in the first pic, and i'm going to tune it, etc. then i'll participate in some local rally events and such, volunteer, get to know people and just keep working up.

And 100aw. Use untapped rally if you have an android phone for US rallies

Go watch the documentary "Easier Said Than Done". It's breddy gud.

100aw.org

5 seconds in google search

Consider that rally absolutely REKS your car.
Expect to sink the cost of car in repairs after just a few events.
Rally is ridiculously expensive.
If you haven't start off with shit like autox and ice track since they're cheaper and you get some experience.

knowing the events is great for starting, but knowing a good starting car is just as good.

Do not immediately go to AWD. You'll eventually learn to use the AWD to cover up your mistakes and would be slower overall for it.
Start with something small, FWD, and with an IRS.
Suggestions:
Dodge Neon
Honda Civic
Ford Focus
Mazda 3
EARLY 1993-1995 U think Subaru Imprezas. AWD was an option back then, so FWD Imprezas were a thing.

Once you mastered FWD, move onto a. FR car briefly to get the hang of oversteer. A manual V6 Mustang or F-body works well here.

Once you've got that down, THEN move onto AWD. By that point, you'll know how to use the understeer and oversteer to your advantage. A lot of people start off with AWD Imprezas then get pissed when they get beaten at the local SCCA rallycross event by someone in a based model Dodge Neon. It happens a lot more often than people would admit to.

Here how it goes in Europe, and everywhere else affiliated to the FIA

> Get a manual. Any would do, AWD a best.

> Hav it fit all the safety requirement inclunding but not limited to

- Complete barcage
- fireproof battery
- bucket seats
- quick detach steering wheel
- cross heart safety belts

> Find a good copilot. I said a GOOD ONE. This would be the hardest part.

> Train, then train some more. Then train again because you've worn off your brakes and tires.

> Register to nearest rally, preferably an amateur one, since the inscription fees tend to be far cheaper (One can register to a WRC event in the amateur category but the prices are insane).

> Prepare to get rekt by locals if you don't know the course by heart. Prepare to get rekt by richfags and their fancy car they barely handle, but sufficiently to leave you behind. Prepare to get rekt by wizzkids from driving schools homing their skills.

> Prepare to have lots of fun, some disapointements but also important teachings about humility, confidence, and human nature.

Do it OP. You won't regret it.

>Start with something small, FWD, and with an IRS.

I see your point, but he's not Takumi, and probably can't afford to have a FWD then a FR, then an AWD. He should get his hands on a good AWD and learn to drive it properly, which does not prevent him from learning the skills you described on some other cars.

Keyword in rally is money. If OP has lots of it, then why not, but otherwise he should think throughly about the car he'll get, and stick to it.

>He should get his hands on a good AWD and learn to drive it properly, which does not prevent him from learning the skills you described on some other cars.
no it doesn't prevent you from learning but the learning curve is that much harder. You learn to use the AWD to cover up mistakes.
You could honestly skip getting a RWD car, but definitely start with FWD and then move to RWD,

Hell, you could buy an AWD Subaru, weld the center diff, remove the rear driveshaft, and voila! FWD to learn on.

Then when you're ready to switch back, swap out the center diff for an unwelded one, then put the driveline to the back back in.

Florida?
Check out our discord, we have some people who do rallycross I believe.
discord.gg/9CABP

>You learn to use the AWD to cover up mistakes.

Most peoples do it because it's more convenient, indeed, but AWD also is (sadly, as far as i'm concerned) much more agile and suited for all-terrain.

FWD will prove quite unefficient on hard sufaces, and even if he'll learn some good tricks, he'll end up having to learn a whole new type of driving when he'll switch to AWD.

I don't know what you guys call rally in burgerland, but if it's the WRC type shit, he won't get any results with a FWD.

Source: I'm an avid rally enthusiast, and dated a rally driver (girl, should I precise).

All the euroshitboxes (106/206/Saxo/Fiats/Whatever) had their glory day in the early 00's ( i'm speaking on the amateur stage), and they've long been replaced by cheap AWD. It saddens me, but it's the truth, and apart from some episodic success here and there, FWD era is over.

That user is right, rally absolutely fucks your car.
Don't bother tuning it first, just get some coilovers and whatever else you need to make your suspension rally ready and maybe up your ride height. Once you get better and can drive the car fast and not fuck the car after the rally then start thinking of tuning the car. That is if you can afford to continue doing it after having to replace and fix it after events or during.

>Most peoples do it because it's more convenient, indeed, but AWD also is (sadly, as far as i'm concerned) much more agile and suited for all-terrain.
>FWD will prove quite unefficient on hard sufaces, and even if he'll learn some good tricks, he'll end up having to learn a whole new type of driving when he'll switch to AWD.
>I don't know what you guys call rally in burgerland, but if it's the WRC type shit, he won't get any results with a FWD.
FWD is perfect to learn on.

AWD CAN perform better IF YOU HAVE THE SKILLS FOR IT. You can't gain those skills starting with AWD.

We have Rallycross and Rally America in America. Guess what? FWD cars OFTEN place above AWD Subarus.
Example:
youtube.com/watch?v=8mwFmJ15Us4
That fucking FWD hatchback took had multiple podium finishes.
To put it in perspective, the Scion xD is essentially a slightly longer and boxier Toyota Yaris T-Sport, obviously modified for rallying.
FWD Neons are actually extremely competitive in rally here in the states.

>You can't gain those skills starting with AWD.

Well probably not if he's learning by himself. But who would blow thousands on a car, and don't learn how to drive it?

Also, I never said that FWD were bound to loose, but that it's rather rare because apart top notch pilots, in top notch races, your average joe will do better in an AWD. And there's no reason to believe that OP isn't one.

Maybe you don't realise the ammount of money needed to register a car under FIA conditions, or assume that everyone is a richfag, but should OP follow your plan, he's looking at two fully equipped car, for at least 50-60k. And I'm not including subsequent repairs, inscriptions fees, and eventual replacement of said car. And insurance. Because you'll learn to give your insurer drooly bj's if you ever want to compete in rally for a decent amount, or at all.

TL:DR life is not vidya or snowflakism. Get what works.

If OP wants to get any good, he needs to learn skills first
hence FWD before AWD.

But what skills are you refering to that he couldn't learn in a AWD but that would still be usefull in an AWD?

It's all little things that add up. Learn how to deal with then in a FWD car when the AWD won't save your stupid ass. Then you won't rely on the AWD to mask your stupidity.

Alternatively OP, listen to this guy, then get pissed when you never make progress or improve with faster times while being outperformed by real men with Dodge Neons.

Why spend money ensuring you never improve because your equipment is designed as a bandaid for your stupidity? That's just a waste of time and money for mediocre results.

>It's all little things that add up.

This is not an answer. What are the PRECISE skills that he couldn't learn in a AWD but that would still be usefull in an AWD?

> Then you won't rely on the AWD to mask your stupidity.

Okay champ, then explain why the WRC is run with AWD? So Ogier & Latvalla can hide their stupidity?

OP, this guy obviously is mad about something, and is letting himself drove by it's personnal feelings over reasoning.

Yes, FWD is an adequate learning plateform

Yes, AWD is a much better one if you are willing to acquire the skills needed to fully master one.

Simple as that.

>IRS

I'm pretty sure it's better to have an torsion beam setup to start on.