Can I learn how to drive manual by using a steering wheel set and a simulator like Assetto Corsa...

Can I learn how to drive manual by using a steering wheel set and a simulator like Assetto Corsa? I don't have access to an actual manual car, since I don't know anyone who drives one. I know it's obviously not like the actual thing, but I want to practice basic movements and motions beforehand.

Many people have said switching from video games to actually driving a manual was a near seamless experience.

DEJA VU
I have seen this thread before

That's fucking stupid. It only takes a couple hours in a real car. If you haven't learned by this point in time it's kind of pointless. Manual cars are now obsolete and their numbers are dwindling.

Unfortunately I don't know of any pedals that emulate clutch grab. Even if there were some out there it would cost more than a shitbox with a real clutch.

Yeah I fucking bet. I'm sure they were real good too after trying the "real thing" after fucking their fleshlight. Even a $2m simulator won't give you the tactile feel of a car and actual doing something in the real world.

I want to practice in a real one but I literally don't know a single person who drives a manual here, it sucks. I really have no idea where I can go to learn.

honestly some of those fleshlight textures are better than the real thing.

What's the point in learning if you don't even have a manual car? Get the car first then worry about driving it. Manuals sound rare there so don't get your hopes up on ever driving one.

maybe like... a driving school? Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

They're not rare, I just don't have a lot of friends lol. I wanna learn the basics first before getting the car

I'm not sure about the cost, I figured I could just get a shitty used steering wheel set and torrent the game, but I guess driving an actual car is the best way to learn.

Pros:

-it will help you understanding the basics
-it will help you kinda learning the timings (if set up correctly which can be completely wrong in some games as default or the game is SHIT)
-it can give you some confidence in the real driving situations compared to have NEVER operated a manual transmission, not even simulated

Cons:

-you will still have to learn the real thing

don't expect it to magically train you but it will surely give you a tiny bit of help and it's fun in any case.

this man is correct

Getting one soon. What is the best one?

>but I guess driving an actual car is the best way to learn
I think if you want to spend the money and learn with a racing setup, then it's only worth it if you want to keep playing on it forever.

Otherwise just get a $2k or less miata and have fun learning with that. Plus you'll have a fun, usable car afterwards. Or you can resell it for exactly the same price

Heavenly and Mini-lotus but its really a matter of personal preference. I would avoid the classic and wonderwave. They are too boring imo.

Thanks m8

Hard Drivin was the only game I ever played that would let you stall out. even at that I was great at this game when I was 16 before I got my first car.

I guess the game taught me the principal of a manual transmission but is so different from the real thing that learning manual without playing the game would have been no different.

Just go to a dealership saying you'll buy a new manual car and get experience that way

I used the set up for same reason, drove on ETS2.
Actually helped a shit ton, just because you have some sort of muscle memory for what you have to do in order to drive.
You lack the clutch engaging feeling, but I was able to drive manual within 30min because of it.

This dude has it spot on. Can vouch 100% for this

Fuck off with your forum "we had this topic 4 years ago, thread closed!" mentality.

Truth.
>stoya
But in all honesty OP no it won't help with shit. And given the cost of all the shit you need to buy just to be able to effectively "sim race" you might as well just go buy a shitbox to beat on. It'll cost just as much, or even be cheaper.

t-this is one of those shopped "modern" car design pics right?

I honestly cant tell anymore

I SWEAR DUDE THERE WAS EXACT SAME THREAD

It will only help you with basic understanding how to corner and what to do.
Hardcore g27 gamer that has drivers license would be better on track than average driver even with more experience.

Random user here,
I've really taken a liking to driving over the past couple years. Really interested in learning manual and eventually going on to perhaps some advance lessons (whatever that entails). The idea of mastering the art of driving seems interesting to me, learning to drift, maybe even eventually going out onto the track one day.

Manual still viable in this scenario? Or is automatic and steptronic really taking over?

Look up the 8-bit miata videos. Dude won his first ever drift events after only ever practicing with racing simulation games

It's really not that hard or involved
Maybe rev matching is kinda hard but once you get used to bliping and shifting at the same time it's a non-issue
You don't need to heel-toe irl

Manual is just more fun hands down. And there will be plenty of old cars that will have them in the future.

And seeing how in many old cars manual increases value, it's a win win.

You can stall in GT6.

in assetto corsa, you can start manual car from standstill using gas pedal alone. it's shit.

games will not help you with manual, but that's not some kind of special skill. get a car, drive it, you'll get it right after couple hours. if anything could help you, i'd say LFS - it simulates clutch burn and stalls the car when you let the clutch go too fast on too low rpm.

You can stall in 50% of sim or even simcade games made in the last 5 years.

I have a g27 for the pc and a manual car. Learned on the car first, then bought the g27 for sim games.

For a

You'd learn far more spending $150 on a few lessons from a driving instructor than spending $150+ on a gayming wheel.

Yeah but then you don't have a gaming wheel.

What, am I to pwn noobs with a controller? The fuck do you take me for?

Most of the confusion people have with a manual transmission in the first place is the relationship between gear ratios and engine speed. This is something that video games demonstrate very well.
Actually moving the lever and pressing the pedal isn't difficult, it's being confident that you aren't going to blow things up by selecting the wrong gear.

Great post