/rtsg/ - Real Time Strategy General

A New Beginning. We've been having constant RTS threads on /v/ lately. About time we start making it a constant thing, and start a proper general here.

Lets talk about RTSs. Whats your current favourite RTS? What is your all-time favourite?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_I_of_Brazil
steamcommunity.com/groups/RTSGeneral/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'll start with my current RTS:

Age of Empires 3

Currently playing offline: Grey Goo

All-time favourite: Red Alert 1 & 2

Is Age of Empires 3 actually good? I havnt played it but I got the idea from comments that it was a bit shit.

it really depends on what you like. i think aoe2 purists don't like it. for me, i didn't like having to level up your civilization. choosing your advisor is something i really enjoy from ensemble studio games.

Warcraft 3 is the only RTs worth playing.

Its not as good as AoE 2.

I think the problem is that the European, Asian and Native American factions are too different from each other. Its not like AoE 2 where each civilization was almost the same except for a different in technology, cosmetics and unique unit.

I guess in AoE 3 I sort of expected the Asian nations to be more like the European ones, due to some similarities.

Warcraft 3 is more of an RPG then an RTS. Its not a bad game, though.

It was a good hybrid. Its tragic that a good map on Warcraft 3 was what triggered the MOBA addiction.

>Warcraft 3 is more of an RPG then an RTS.
Seriously nigga?

>Warcraft 3 is more of an RPG then an RTS
Opinion discarded.

Not an argument.

The population cap in Warcraft 3 was real. You cannot amass the kind of armies you could in Warcraft 2. Or Starcraft.

Also, there was some emphasis on leveling up hero units, and equipping them. Its why the MOBA was successful - its kind of the closest thing you can ahve to a Multiplayer competitive RPG.

I'm not saying Warcraft 3 is NOT an RTS, its just that Blizzard could have made it more of an RTS instead of a bizarre hybrid.

If you're like me and are tired of speedyness and knowing the best build orders being the only "strategy" in RTS games, keep an eye out for this one.

>The population cap in Warcraft 3 was real
So it's the amounts of units you can amass and not what strategies you can use them for that makes an rts?
>Also, there was some emphasis on leveling up hero units
I never heard anyone complaing that DoW2 was more of an rpg than an rtt, because even units level up in this game.

>best build orders
>only strategy

I am really pessimistic about Sudden Strike 4 when I look at its predecessor and Blitzkrieg 3.

R8 my RTS backlog:
- Codename: Panzers Phase One (finished the German campaign, currently doing Soviets)
- Codename: Panzers Phase Two
- Rush For Berlin + Addon
- Codename: Panzers Cold War
- Desert Rats vs. Afrika Korps
- D-Day
- 1944: Battle of the Bulge
- Moscow to Berlin
- Stalingrad
- Cuban Missile Crisis + Addon
- Stalin vs. Martians

>I never heard anyone complaing that DoW2 was more of an rpg than an rtt
Which is funny considering it has even less population cap that warcraft 3 thanks to squads.

List of things I hate in RTS games
>hero units and abilities
>tech research
>faction level balance i.e. faction A is good against faction B which is good against faction C which is good against faction A
>cheating AI i.e. better stats and infinite resources
>resource-generating structures or strategic points instead of actively collecting resources
>bad pathfinding
>indestructible trees

Why are all the RTSposters so bad at the games?
Just play simcity with guns please.

>Just play simcity with guns please.

But that doesnt exist.

>Whats your current favourite RTS?
Blitzkrieg 1

>What is your all-time favourite?
Soldiers: Heroes of World War 2.

Is anyone else here hyped for Gates of Hell?

But that what people here apparently want to play.
They don't like aggression, they just want to build their little city and then 1A at the enemy base and win, despite condemning that concept in the same breath.
You also dislike micro intensive games and call them gookclick, when what you are proposing is the most disgusting kind of micromanagement masturbation in the genre.

>Why are all the RTSposters so bad at the games?
Because
>Just play simcity with guns please.

Why are you so sure about the kind of population that will inhabit a new general? Is this the famed high quality Veeky Forums posting ive heard so much about?

Because I was there for all those recent RTS threads which led up to this thing and it was always these posters going at it.
People who are bad at the game, who call the genre "comfy", when it's much more stressful to play than virtually anything else.

>Is anyone else here hyped for Gates of Hell?
What does it offer over MoW?

How the fuck did those jews get away with assault squad 2? Its barely even a remaster of assault squad 1 and they act like its a sequel.

More realism and singleplayer-focused. Soldiers Arena is the multiplayer-alternative.

Can this be a rule for /rtsg/?
Different people have different tastes, but we all have fun with the games we enjoy

>mandatory kindness

I don't think that would work.

This is not the way of Chaos.

That's not how this works.

I'm excited to play Halo Wars 2 and see if it's any better than the first one, which I enjoyed on console back in the day. I might get shat on for it by seasoned RTS players, because I'm sure it's casualized in some aspects for the demographic, but it's discussion nonetheless.

As the OP

I think we should mandate the rule.

Its the only way we can keep this thread alive. Just talk about different RTSs, and not judge each others tastes.

For whats it worth: the /sc2/ general is pretty dead.

Chaos is for pansy homosexual "men".

the /sc2/ general is literally just a chatroom which happens to be barely related to SC2.

Its like all the 'generals' on /int/.

I think a detailed OP with links to resources(beginner tips, tutorials, a wiki or some shit), and upcoming RTS releases/patches news should be at the top of our priorities

There is a place for pansy homosexual "men" under Slaanesh.

Keep it simple, we cant cover every single popular RTS game in detail.
Lets start with a pastebin, what can we put in it?

>links to various free RTS projects like OpenRA and Spring
>clear definition of RTS, what kinds of games should actually be talked about in this general?

This sounds good.

We just started. The last time I remember an /rtsg/ on Veeky Forums was in 2015, when it was merged with another general, and even that thread was dying.

In order to keep this thread alive, we have to keep it alive first. Then, we can worry about important OP things

Please do address the whole simcity with guns thing.

I don't want to tell people that they don't understand the fundamental concepts of the genre every single thread.

Im not actually making the pastebin right now, its 1 am here and Im going to bed.

You're playing with your Lego castle and this guy comes and disintegrates your tower with his microwave laser.
Wat do?

It's supposed to be more like SS 2

so it's less balanced/was less easy to balance, that's why it failed?

I saw stuff being thrown around like "high health units", but that cool ass dynamic menu and loadout was RPG as fuck, those concepts also feel ahead of their time when you see shit today with their loadout/card pregame mechanics

LEGO has an RTS?!!!! :o

There is the Tropico series, which is comfy as fuck.

Hey hey hey, I didn't say AoE 3 was a bad game. Its a good game. Great even, but its flawed.

>so it's less balanced/was less easy to balance, that's why it failed?

Sadly, yes. Because, you gotta think multiplayer. Why do you think people still play AoE 2, years after the game was made ? The multiplayer. Civilizations still keep getting buffed and nerfed - if not through patches, through the expansions the Forgotten Empires team is doing now. Thats a pretty big deal.

I have a suspicion that balance may have played a factor in the lack of AoE 3 multiplayer.

>cool ass dynamic menu and loadout was RPG as fuck, those concepts also feel ahead of their time when you see shit today with their loadout/card pregame mechanics
Not gonna lie, thats what I liked about AOE 3 too.

>i didn't like having to level up your civilization.
I thought it was a fun concept. I roleplayed an Empire of Brazil Portugese City - Dom Pedro Primeiro, the first Emperor of Brazil, was also a King of Portugal, AND a Brazilian revolutionary.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_I_of_Brazil

There's that lego battles game on ds, which is basically a simplified aoe. I don't think there's another though.

What do you think it would take to get Lego to make an RTS game

Money

agdg here.

give me your ideas for a perfect RTS, like a RTS focused on the hardcore players.

What would you expect from a new RTS to be engaging to you?

>being able to upgrade your home city with different visuals, items, and townsfolk
Literally one of the reasons I played so much

Same bro.

I think I got more out of it as a single player game, though, then as a multiplayer RTS. And even then, I wish the same options could have extended to the Indian and Asian cities.

But the real fun of having the home city was that it technically became an RPG - for your city, that is.

your fav unit?

>Lego RTS game
>by old relic
Just adapt the concepts of Impossible Creatures to a Lego RTS, albeit with greater complexity in the modern age

it would be hard as fuck to balance, but who gives a shit when its FUN

>What would you expect from a new RTS to be engaging to you?

>like a RTS focused on the hardcore players.

I don't have the time to hone my MManagement skills so I get btfo by better players, but from what I know

>Easy to understand statcards
>almost nil RNG
>intuitive pathfinding
>rush strat viability
>counter rush options
>Height advantages

as for
>What would you expect from a new RTS to be engaging to you?
The ability to still have fun in long drawn out battles
C&C generals for instance seemed to have high points scattered throughout all phases of its games, thanks to promotion trees and superweapons and the superweapon-oriented generals

pop caps are not an RPG thing and the game plays like a normal RTS just with heroes

Pops caps are an RTS thing though., and Warcraft 3 placed a greater emphasis on controlling smaller armies.

Lets put it this way: I think of Battle Realms as more of an RTS than Warcraft 3. And Both Warcraft 3 and Battle Realms had simialr elements.

However, the heroes in Battle Realms were NOT RPG units. Thats the difference.

Would anyone care for a Veeky Forums RTS group on Steam? I would make one. All I need is a good profile pic.

Wouldn't hurt.

I think the greater priority is actually keeping this thread alive.

It might be a good idea to monitor /v/ to check when they start an RTS thread. If there can be 100+ posters on a /v/ thread, it might be good to get some of them here.

Is this too meme?

>mfw playing WB for the first time
I have no idea what I'm doing, but is fun.

>tfw necromancer class doesn't get cold female voice in the hero editor

We just need to post the Veeky Forums link in every RTS thread we see on /v/ then.

>anime

Well we don't have the /int/ or Veeky Forumspotential of /gsg/ or /twg/, so our options are fairly limited for pictures

>/rtsg/ already taken
Welp.

SC2, but there's no widow mines and banelings

Jesus be more creative.

steamcommunity.com/groups/RTSGeneral/

Hero experience is essentially another resource you need to gather. It's most certainly an RTS

I wish I could believe this. I will wait till release and if it's good I might buy it during sale.

So what's the best CoH to get come next steam sales? Mostly interested in online play

The first CoH with Blitzkrieg mod. Vanilla multiplayer is barely alive and 2 is an unbalanced mess.

That I don't deny, I just think of Warcraft 3 as less of an RTS than its others.

Its a hybrid game. Its like, calling Deus Ex is a FPS. Which it is, but its also a stealth game. AND, an RPG. A pretty billiant RPG, in fact.

In that sense, Warcraft 3 is also a hybrid game - RTS, RPG and, with implementation of the map editor - tower defense, MOBA, and what have you.

>tfw TBS general never ever

There's /xcg/and /civ4xg/ Thats more than enough turn based

No, I want to focus on /rtsg/

Can RTT join too?

Sure, i guess.

Oh hey
good to see this general back alive
probably wont last very long though

Feel free to add some ideas.

We just gotta try.

If you see a rts thread in /v/, link them to this general

We had three or four RTS threads hit bump limit on /v/ so we decided that we should try here again. Personally I prefer them on /v/, because that's how you get new blood, but if we can actually keep it alive here as well, I don't see why not.

>play AoE2 with AI
>want to turtle and be compfy
>build walls everywhere
>AI sends ships and harrasses my villages and coastal buildings
Fuck this.

Play a land map then. Hell, if you really want to turtle, play black forest.

I really liked AoE3, except for the very tiny population cap.

I still like AoE2 better, but I quite enjoy 3 as well, but I say this as fag who only fights against the AI.

Really?
I dont visit /v/ very often so I wouldnt know
come to think of it, I havent been there for over 1 year now
atleast the one here

Welcome to the RTS genre.
Are you having fun yet?

>mfw when I discovered the "move to this position and automatically attack everything in your way" hotkey
Don't judge me.

Of course, it's been a while when I played AoE2 the last time though.

Now you need to discover it's doesn't properly 70% of time.

>tfw love maps where the city is intact at the start and you see how is fully destroyed during the battle
I feel like not many games do this

ded general?

I got a few ideas. But. Since its 5am where I live, ill mention one idea first, then mwntion the other when I wake up.

First. A question. Have you ever played comand & conquer 95? Or red alert 1?

I reinstalled EE recently to do the same and it's a constant fight to survive. The AI cheats like fucking crazy.

>You will never be comfy

You're dead!

RTS is not comfy.

Playing RTS is like playing chess while you have to juggle all the pieces, while someone is trying to punch your face, while you're solving complex math problems in your head

attack move, how fuck new are you

I really want to play company of heroes but it keeps crashing mid game.