Other urls found in this thread:

simonschreibt.de/game-art-tricks/
poal.me/joj5q4
youtu.be/FPp4qb-phrA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first

>tfw learning calculus I in college
>no fucking idea why should I learn about it

You posted this in the last thread. It's not that fucking hard for one, and nobody cares, for two.

Why don't you ask your teacher? I'm sure he is qualified to answer that question

was it this?

simonschreibt.de/game-art-tricks/

Is there a Discord?

just like share it you fuck

no

there are at least two
ignore tripfag's abode, other one is okay if you avoid autism and misc channels

Could you link it? I was on the IRC but fuck IRC. It's an ancient shitty program.

Thank you for including the Source video game engine in the OP. It's sad that so many people here hate on it despite it being a good engine.

Some kind of 3D pinball where you throw your character in a sea of obstacles and hope it reaches its destination

cacti would be one of the things you would need to avoid

Think PAIN (PS3 game) but instead it's a much narrower world with tunnels and shit and you have to reach a destination, there would be levels etc

It plays like pokemons (the combat and shit) and maybe the world too but it's a survival game in a nonsensical world

Yeah I know I'm just too excited about it but I dont actually want to divulge it to the public

So I figured my game might be a bit too big and I want to make a smaller, free, maybe even HTML5-based game that allows me to get some traction with vidya making in general because experience never hurts, but also because I want my other game to be paid and I'd feel better if i published something finished for free first

So I got this Idea where the player gets a party of 4 randomized adventurers being played by awful players, in a background tabletop game where the GM is also an awful railroader, and the gameplay is basically them walking to the right (I even thought of a conveyor belt to signify the GMs railroading even further and because lol no walking animations) and fighting everything they come across (monsters, thieves, villagers, merchants, everything) because they're awful murderhobos, and this continues on until you either get a total party kill or you kill the end boss, and you'd get some upgrades and items here and there

The battle system would be similar to darkest dungeon both in mechanics and presentation (in terms of layout, mostly)

Is it something simple enough for me to make on my own in a month or two, or is it another very big project and I'm fooling myself?

>tl;dr is a browser game with 4 random characters going to the right and fighting random enemies doable in under 3 months?

reposting in new thread

What's a good, artistically simple setting for a fast-paced top-down shooter that isn't space?

>IRC is a program
are you more of an "ideas guy" or an artist?

Going for the rooftop parkour audience.

to answer that, rate your programming experience on a scale of "I've modded some games" to "I've written a language"

Programmer, Designer and Artist.

I just loathe IRC because it's fucking retarded.

It's like saying: "Why would I eat cake when I could also eat shit"

Desert, tundra, ocean.

>need a font for my comfy game's title screen
>literally the last thing I need to do
>dafont is down

use comic sans for maximum comfyness

just make one, how hard could it be? it's just letters

fontsquirrel

I've done a similar prototype in the past where you get randomized characters and fight randomized monsters in a turn-based environment, but without any graphical feedback (it was just text and numbers) so I have a somewhat approachable idea of what to do and I'd have to apply it to an environment with actual graphics

outta ten

Friendlily reminder: THIS is who you share this thread with

>been trying to figure out for weeks why everything in my UE4 project interacts weirdly with the framerate
>tick interval is in the level blueprint
>tick interval is set to 0 by default
I'm not an enginedev but why would anyone think that is a valid, default setting ?

This guy is so unsettling.

And?

Reminder to read your SICP today

>Lisp
No

>needing a "code cookbook" that spells things out in your special snowflake language instead of mastering underlying concepts
No

0 means it ticks every frame

what's your point

>Left mouse somewhere
>have to dev with a trackpad
It's so exhausting

I know, that's the issue, if it ticks every frame, the game's speed depends on how fast you're rendering the frames, right ?

I am afraid to begin working on a project I've always wanted to make because I worry that I will give up before it's done and that the time investment will all have been wasted

Only if you make it like that, read about delta time.

Alternatively use a Timer if you want consistent ticks based on seconds.

Progress

Now everything is simulated server-side.
Here player 2 on the right attempts to use a modified client to clip through walls

Which is worse, the risk that your time is wasted because your game didn't work out or the guarantee that your life is wasted because you were too scared to act?

>read about delta time
I'm going to sound retarded there but I've heard about it yet can't find any clear documentation like there is for, let's say materials.

>3D terrain (engine needs to be 3D)
>lots and lots of sprites (10k+)

What's the best engine? I'd rather not spend ages making my own. Bonus points if the language is C/C++ or similar. UE4 is out of the question due to TERRIBLE support for sprites.

Unironically your own.
>I'd rather not spend ages
Okay, you don't have to.

>special snowflake language
That's actually what Lisp is

>TERRIBLE support for sprites.
What's stopping you from using your sprites as simple quads with texture shifting?

Maybe you guys should try to learn properly your engine.

I don't know what Lisp is but all i can think of is how you have to define thcripth and thringth

>if (condition) { }
>elthe { }

use it when you want to make sure that time is consistent regardless of the game's running frame rate

like if I said
>Timer -= 10f
each frame, it might actually be different on different speed computers running the game

so you say
>Time -= 10f * Time.deltaTime
that way it always countsdown at the same real-time speed

It's more a core game development concept than a UE4 thing

Ok right, but then how exactly can I get a "real life second" using that ? I don't really understand "how much" a delta second is.

I'm not very surprised.

delta time is the time in seconds since the last frame

so if the frame is 1/60th of a second, and you multiply a number by the delta, that number will change from "x per frame" to "x per second"

Delta time is the time it took to render the last frame.

If your game is running at 60fps, it is 1/60 = 0.016. This is half as big as if your game was running at 30fps.

So by multiplying the rate at which something happens by this number, you can keep it consistent between framerates.
At 60fps, 'it' happens twice as often, but every change is half as big, so it happens at the consistent rate.

>tfw I regularly gain and lose ~7 pounds on a weekly basis depending on the foods I eat.

>he is doing an effort to improve his looks
I'm glad to share thread with that kind of guy.

>literally insane shitposter is fixating on literally insane unity-dev

so

Are there any puzzle games that focus around using light/darkness? I'd like to have a reference point for the game I'm working on.

ok! floor 4 is basically done.

hope u guys can make it : )

Use Google fonts. it's a collection of free fonts you can download

i think that dude made music for my game once, in exchange for a cheezeburger.

did you make this video just for this thread

Wasted a year helping a dead engine get some buzz, updating the wiki, offering money to help the engine. Yesterday a core dev told me to fuck off.

Realized engines are tools not religions.
Switched to Godot made progress in a few hours rather than having to re-implement the last years of progress in to a dead engine.

Plan ahead.
The more you plan ahead, the more you can predict all the struggle and realise you want to make a small project first.

select option

A) work on my game's battle system
B) start my 1500 word essay which is due in two days

yea

sign me up for this garbage right away

Next jam poll
poal.me/joj5q4
poal.me/joj5q4
poal.me/joj5q4
poal.me/joj5q4

This is agdg right here >comfy jam 3 entries

A recollection of shitty jams with barely any worthwhile submissions.
No wonder why this thread attracts people like the samefag insane poster.

If we're working on a game and the next jam fits its theme can we submit it? or does it have to be a game created entirely within the span of the jam?

The jam isn't over yet. If you weren't a retarded newfag you'd know that most people submit right before the deadline.

It is frowned upon.

Judging by the question you'll probably get called a whodev shill as well.

I'm still a nodev.
Just asking for future knowledge

>COPS
YEEEAAAAA

youtu.be/FPp4qb-phrA

>3 pounds

MOMMY I TOOK A HUGE SHIT

the point of jams is to make something within the time limit
showing off what you've been working on is what demo days are for

Ok guys, here is an idea.
Why do people not colaborate for a jam.
All GMer make a game.
All Uniter make together one game.
All Unreal dever make one game together.

etc...

so 50+ people are going to all make a unity game

What about enginedevs

Sounds good.

I saw one but I can't remember its name

the level only existed where the light was, if you walked into the darkness you would fall into the void

might actually finish a game then.

Engine Devs should reach an agreement on what language and what library they use.
So they are not splitted too much.

Like C/C++ and SDL or something.

C and SDL sounds reasonable since it's similar to C# and Java and every C++ programmer should know C

which looks the best?

C is newest, and has parallax scrolling backgrounds

>since it's similar to C# and Java

B

Are you saying it's not?

Of course it's not similar besides superficial aspects like the syntax.

What is the problem, user? I'm seriously asking, because in my experience, only people with some serious issues express hatred towards people who are having fun or enjoying themselves. But in case I'm wrong and you would like to truly argue about this topic, here's my counter argument.

Jams are for:
- practice
- have fun
- chance to collab
- chance to leave comfort zone and experience with new things
- learn time management

And, you'll be surprised, they are voluntary! No one is forcing anybody to participate or to play the games. You are not asked to leave your main projects, and those who do in favor of a jam, probably have the time to do so, or just got inspired by the theme. Other than that, occasionally jam games become main projects.

I don't see your point about the seemingly lack of submissions. I know that at least four more games are in the making for the jam, all comfier than the other. Which is a pretty big number if you think about it! /agdg/ is not that big of a community to begin with, people have jobs or school duties, so sparing time for a side project is a big commitment knowing how much time resource it requires. These guys are the true heroes of this place. They don't get frightened by any challenge, but rather answers the call, and they hold on to any opportunity when they can make a game, a new source of fun and joy for others.

They're all languages of the C family

>C-family programming languages is a loosely defined term referring to many programming languages sharing similarities, mainly flow-control syntax, but also in some other aspects.
It's pretty much meaningless.

>programming languages sharing similarities
Problem?

>Start modeling
>Absolutely hate it at first but start to get the hang of it and suddenly find it fun
>Start texturing
>Absolutely hate it at first but start to get the hang of it and suddenly find it fun
Anyone else like this? Even unwrapping UV's used to be a chore but now it's nothin'

I reckon C looks better, but B looks more fitting if you're going for a more authentic retro look.

C is only similar to C# and Java because of the syntax. It's a completely different language when it comes to actually using it. It's unmanaged and bare bones when it comes to features.

>C is only similar to C# and Java
I'm glad you agree with me. Now please leave the goal posts where they are

I think he is calling out the difference between C and C++. C++ being OOP language and C being not.

It's only similar in a completely insignificant sense.

C and C++ are far more similar than C and Java or C#.

I agree.
Also coding style of C++, Java and C# are kind of similar, because they are all OOP and also share a similar syntax.