Subaru General /subs/

Post em up, faggots.

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2391932
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck off with your vapemobile, faggot. Subaru a shit.

samefag

>tfw not sure if I want to v7/v8 EJ207 STi swap or keep my E36 M3

Are used WRXs turning into the 4th Veeky Forums meme car behind shitbox 1990s Civics, Miatas, and used BMWs?

Eyyyy saabaru. I guess if you've really got a hardon for subies, the 207 swap is worth it.

Most likely, junkyard parts from wrecked WRX's are quite plentiful and easy to find, not to mention relatively cheap.

03 Legacy Station Wagon any good? Theres a really cheap one on sale near me.

see if the headgaskets have been done

Oh yeah i just saw all of the complaints about it. Is it a good car otherwise? I dont need a wagon but i want one for some reason.

My 05 this winter

Aside from the headgaskets and possibly the power steering pump taking a shit, they're pretty reliable. If you live somewhere where they salt the roads, watch out for rear quarter panel rust.

Fuck off, this isn't NASIOC

Why is the Crosstrek the most underpowered vehicle in its segment? A turbo is really all it needs to feel alive. 200hp and the same torque is all it needs.

Which is why a Forester XT sounds so right.

Stop trying to make every goddamn thread a general.

Because we can't get the diesel here.

Count if it's the wife's car?

No truck because I drive tow truck...

Sold it back in 2014. Going 173 mph with less than a grand in mods is awesome.

I now want a 90's 2-door impreza with a full 2.5 STi swap including lsds.

my 02 wrx lol.

I miss the snow. Controlled drifts for daaays

Is there a way to swap in an I4 while keeping the AWD?

who here hates the oem touch screen?

my friend/associate recently bought a bone stock 05 sti, silver with gold bbs wheels.
He threw a cobb port and an invidia catback on it.
Its pretty dope, but he's too much of a faggot to post here so whatever

>mfw all my normie friends are telling me YOOO AWD WEATHER BROOO now that its snowing

>i'm on summer tires that can't turn or stop for shit and don't want my 15 year old rust free car to rot out like every other one in the area with missing quarter panels/fucked rear strut towers

i hate the snow meme

I'm Holding off buying a new subie until I see what they do with the 2020 STi.
I was talking with one of the rally guys and they were saying that the Tribeca might make a comeback, and if it does, that will hurt Subaru from making a new 2.5L DIT with the new EPA shit.

>ITT Poor fags who can't afford an Audi with Quattro.

(You)
My 19 year old shitbox with 183k on it is still more reliable than any VAG steaming pile of tightly coiled dogshit could ever dream of being. Not to mention it isn't ugly because Subaru can actually design a car without using the same exact fugly grille that Audi has copy and pasted on every car they've made since the early 2000s.

Also haldex a shit.

Only Quattro Audi worth buying was the RS2 and i'm not going to lie, I am indeed too poor to pay 70-100k for a 90's AWD wagon so a GT Foz it is.

Hiya :0

Alright I'll bite, The only good REAL AWD all the time cars the audi has made are now prices above 70k and are in the previously owned section, Haldex isn't that great and when coupled with VAGs quality (something I know all too well), it makes for a shit tier car.
Tell me, what modern Audi from 2000 on has had a perfect quattro system that isn't bogged down by VAGs issues?

I wouldn't kick a B5 RS4 out of my garage, but they were all sold only in Europe and still go for 20-30k Euro.

But nope can't think of any good Audis after it. The V8s are pigfat with timing chain/oil consumption/carbon issues, the B8 S4s are understeering pigs or explode diffs, and its worse when you're paying $50-70k for one. Maybe a RS3/TTRS?

>Forester
>Clear Coat has completely failed
>Colour is literally coming off with heavy rains/general wear
>Body isn't great so not really worth the cost of getting a re-spray

Worth vinyl wrapping or plasti-dipping?

>i'm on summer tires that can't turn or stop for shit and don't want my 15 year old rust free car to rot out like every other one in the area with missing quarter panels/fucked rear strut towers
You pulled those dumb rubber strips off the fender well lips right? I don't know what year they stopped putting them on but those are basically the cause of the rust problem in that area because Subaru is literally retarded and doesn't understand how things like water work.

I do agree with you that driving in the snow is massively overrated because of all the fucking salt on the roads ruining your car.

What's a nice clean headunit that would suit a blobeyes interior nicely.

needs to have USB and aux and no disc drive

Maybe, I don't mind small cars, but I really like manual, what drove me to buy mitsus and subies in the first place.
I drive a modded GTI currently (a dead r32 in the junkyard was my savior) and wish to go back, though, I wouldn't mind if I had a S1 sitting in my garage.

Oh and what are some nice tires to get if I want to splurge a little

my size is 215-45-17

BFG's

This, the sport comp 2s are amazing, especially for the price.

Mine still has them, but I drove it up from Florida. Still has the zinc plating on most of the bolts underneath, only corrosion is on the battery tiedown and front lower control arms.

Its not even really the well lips that kill them in the long term, but pic related.

The undercoating cracks and ends up retaining water against the welded nuts for the seat latches or the random open hole that's there on side from the factory. A ton of salt state 02-07 Impreza Wagons have that and most people don't find out until its bad enough it's letting water into the cabin or the strut towers fail since that area is covered up with trim/carpet.

forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2391932

You'll probably have it sricking out in front of the car bc of where the transaxle starts.

I doubt it. Just move the radiator

The lip where the rear quarter meets the inner unibody is a prime place for rust to start when the strips are on because they retain moisture and salt right next to a point where the panels aren't joined as well as they should be. I know that's what happened on mine because the paint bubbling runs right from the edge of the fender well back into the rear quarter by the fuel door while the strut towers are fine. That side was also the one that still had it's rubber strip on when I got the car whereas the other had fallen off at some point and has zero rust despite 14 years in the salt belt.

I want a 2.5RS, but most of them in SoCal run close to $8k and that seems pretty hard to justify to me.

the 2.5RS' i found in nyc are like close to 4k and i think thats really ridiculous for me

4u

Hey guys. Looking at a used 2016 wrx limited. 12k miles and even comes with an extra set of wheels that have brand new snow tires on them which would be helpful where I live.. Car has factory audio upgrade and keyless entry. It's a really clean car. Turns out the guy who owned it just traded it in for a minivan. The car looks brand new.

I currently have a 2011 mazdaspeed 3 that I'm debating trading in for the wrx.

Dealer was asking 30990 and I talked them down to 28k.

What do you think?

>Hey guys. Looking at a used 2016 wrx limited. 12k miles and even comes with an extra set of wheels that have brand new snow tires on them which would be helpful where I live.. Car has factory audio upgrade and keyless entry. It's a really clean car. Turns out the guy who owned it just traded it in for a minivan. The car looks brand new.

>I currently have a 2011 mazdaspeed 3 that I'm debating trading in for the wrx.

>Dealer was asking 30990 and I talked them down to 28k.

>What do you think?

you in the wrong thread for this question

I lied. im drunk and cant manage my tabs.

test drive and see which you like better

I wouldn't pay more than 27k personally, but test drive it to see whether you like it or not first.

recommend me some mudflaps for my 04 wrx.

how much is too much to spend on some?

Just get rallyarmor classics. For $100, they're pretty durable. The pu flaps are nicer looking and won't get pitted by rocks, but you risk running over them when backing up down an incline.

Pioneer MVH-X370BT

Checked

Don't bother with mudflaps if you're going to lower it, otherwise just stick with rallyarmor classics. The polyurethane ones are $40 more for a shiny finish and they're floppier, the opposite of what you want.

Why should I buy a wrx over the a4?

looking for something used in the uppers 20s.

I, too, found myself torn between a WRX and an A4. Similarly priced, both AWD sedans, etc. I picked the A4 - it was a nightmare in terms of reliability, and ended up being an enormous expense despite frequent preventative maintenance, and having purchased it at 40K miles. Totally ridiculous - I owned a rotary that was more reliable.

Just my two cents, but it stands out as the worst car decision I've ever made.

I have heard similar... I am attracted to the German aesthetics and refinements.

Maybe a good compromise is getting the WRX limited.

This is the only spot i have on my Subaru

In my experience, Subarus are good reliable cars. The only thing midly difficult about them is doing the spark plugs because the engine layout gives you very little room to work with unless you jack up the engine.

i dont get this spark plug meme. did it last weekend for the first time in my 2000 impreza GT. on the left side you just remove the air filter box and thats it. the right side you need to remove the window washer container and the battery and you're good to go

that ones kinda ugly bro but thanks anyways.

What are BFG? are they any noisy? what causes tyre noise anyways

BFGoodrich brand tires. The sport comp 2 is kind of noisy over 40 mph but nothing you can't cover up with either a nice exhaust or turning up your radio. Well worth it for their performance and for the price though.

The tire noise would be caused by the tread pattern design. More space between tread blocks and bigger tread blocks are noisier at high speeds, one reason all terrain tires are not recommended for highway use. Most quiet tires have much smaller tread blocks with much more siping.

Can confirm subaru is making a new truck but it wont be out till 2018/19

Head gaskets and timing belt. Basic maintenance is all you need after that.

Any reason I shouldn't get a BRZ? What are its worst problems and issues?

No aftermarket unit is going to be aesthetic, man.

Dumping.

1/4

Bone stock '02 Impreza WRX Wagon

2/4

3/4
My little dude is cooler than me

4/4
Gotta change the dash lights to red

>recaro booster seat

Fuckin' nice

No reason not to have one. Don't cost much different than a Graco seat or any of the other brands.

Thinking about getting a 2016 wrx. How roomy are they for putting a toddler in the back? My current Honda Insight second gen works but you have to scoot up the front seat to give the child foot room.

I was thinking about a new 2017 WRX premium because I wanna good AWD daily driver sedan in manual with heated seats because winters in NY can suck ass

Is this a good idea or should I consider other cars?

My professor bought a 2016 as his family car, you most certainly can fit a toddler seat back there.

You can find a relatively new A4 Quattro, but if you're buying new, the Subaru is pretty much the only one in its class.

Its a good idea, how many AWD cars under $30,000 new are there?

Let alone manual turbo AWD. If you want used you can look at a IS/GS350 AWD or G37x/Q50 3.7 AWD but that's really it. Or a used WRX STi/Evo X.

Pretty roomy, but you should go to the dealer and find out.

>Its a good idea, how many AWD cars under $30,000 new are there?
tons of AWD cars

how many AWD sedans are there? not many without blowing loads of money. let alone a manual in this day and age with a turbo. I can get any AWD SUV those aren't hard to get but I hate SUV's and crossovers and I like the small sedan looks.

Its a very unique car I like, too bad Lancers aren't made anymore because I'd consider them

I'm the one that posted those pics and i have an '02. It's roomy enough.
I've seen tons of stuff about how the newer ones are great for compromising between a fun, family oriented car though.
My kid is only about a year old, so I'd imagine that the bigger he gets it's gonna get a little tighter.
My wife has a 2012 impreza wagon that is the main family car. We never all ride in mine so space isn't an issue for me. That's also why the headrests are all off.

The WRX is a complete meme. I'm annoyed that I bought one. It's a cheap economy car with a turbo. The suspension isn't that great, the engine is unimpressive, the steering is numb. The only time this car is any fun to drive is when there is snow on the road.

pic related, my Memebaru.

Ayy I got one for my son. I like em.

>It's a cheap economy car with a turbo.
dude its nothing like the other dumb economy turbo cars. Those other ones have ridiculously small displacement comparatively and make no where near the horse power. Hell none of them are AWD either

I forgot crossovers exist, but yes Manual AWD Sedans/Wagons would've been a better idea. Alternatively AWD cars that aren't totlaly soulless.

WRXs are popular because they have their niche. I'd personally just get a base model. Sunroof and heated seats aren't worth it to me.

>wut iz focus st
AWD is a fucking meme. The only things AWD does is make sure you have nothing but normalfag understeer, a little extra traction when the snow is really deep, and enough traction from a stop to blow the fuck out of our transmission and/or clutch if you try to launch it.

Anything else people say about AWD is a meme.

>AWD is a fucking meme
can you find a reason for why something is bad instead of just calling it a meme? Because it doesn't help anyone figure out what the fuck you want.

>understeer
holy fuck dude you have a WRX in manual, use your clutch to stop understeer.

>traction to blow the fuck out of your transmission
do you even snow drive in the winter? Holy shit where do you get this crap

>launch it
launching in any car is bad for the transmission you dunce. Retards like you are the reason why subarus got the meme of glass transmisison

Tell me more, I would love a Subaru truck again.

GOAT

You didn't even read my post.

>use your clutch to stop understeer.
What are you even talking about here? You're just making shit up.

>>traction to blow the fuck out of your transmission
>do you even snow drive in the winter? Holy shit where do you get this crap
Your reading comprehension is fucking terrible.

You saw that picture of MY WRX in 6 inches of snow.

>launching in any car is bad for the transmission you dunce.
And especially bad in a fucking Subaru. What is your god damn point? The ONLY fun thing you can do with this car in dry conditions is launch it because it will do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds if you abuse it. Anything else you do in this car is fucking boring unless you have snow on the ground or loose gravel roads.

These cares are HIGHLY overrated.

then where do you live, I'll but that subaru off of you, you clearly don't like what it has to offer.

>You didn't even read my post.
I quoted 4 of your complaining points of course I read it. Its full of misinformation.

>What are you even talking about here? You're just making shit up.
When turning or experiencing understeer, you press the clutch in to kill power between the engine and tires this causes the car to turn more sharply than intended which is understeer. You can't just let your foot off the gas because the engine is still powering the tires, the clutch removes it like shifting into neutral.

>my WRX in 6 inches of snow
thats not 6 inches dude your car is on top of the snow its at best of 2 inches. Would you rather have Front wheel drive or rear wheel drive in the middle of the snow? because you'll have way less traction than with AWD.

>especially bad in a subaru
no its not, the glass transmission meme come retards running the fuck out of their cars the same way the headgasket meme started. They'd red line every fucking day then whine when their cars shit the bed.

I like the steering and visibility, and the high grip levels on mine.

Its also quick when the turbo spools.

>intended which is understeer
oversteer

Colorado. Land of the Jewbaru. I'm glad I don't live in upstate Jew York anymore because none of the WRXfags here try and wave at me because every 25th car is a WRX of some vintage.

>tfw I haven't taken any pictures of my car since I bought it new because I hate it

>no using the brake to reel in understeer
Fucking kill yourself and learn to fucking drive.

>Fucking kill yourself and learn to fucking drive.
Yea but why kill speed with the brakes more than you need to when you can just kill power to the tires to cause oversteer. Even then why should I have to tell you to use the brakes. do I have to tell you to start your engine before?

I live in the northwest, 1 in 10 is an STi up here, I'll trade you cars, my DD is FWD.

>having kids

You cucked yourself m8, Please say It's your wifes son

9/10. Would reply again. You got me pretty good.

fellow baja owner here, waitiing for money to get right so i can start working on my car. where'd you get the tints? and is the visor a legacy or did you buy a special baja one?

that isn't mine. it's off of some baja facebook page.
Mine is here:
Sold it last year though since our son needed the back seat and my german shepherd needed a place to ride.
Was replaced by this:
A legacy one should fit i think. Legacy stuff fits the baja 9/10 times if i recall.

The legacy/outback hood is exactly the same. It fits.

Off to NASIOC

are you that guy that ran from the cops in the panhandle?