/ORG/ - Off Road General

>4Runner vs Suburban: Suburban Wins Edition

zeemaps.com/map?group=2389619
discord.gg/SenfAyU
watracing.com/?product=off-road-general

ITT:
The map, Discord Server, and Stickers, so no whining.
Yellow YJ guy for sure this time
Where are you CC81PT?
Suburban general
Shitposting general

Other urls found in this thread:

grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/cambridge/1997-lexus-lx450-land-cruiser/1238906962?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't know what is more gay, "off-road" suburban or nigger donk suburban. Both are useless and retarded.

LOOK GUYS I AM ALL OFF THE ROAD AND SHIT xD

VROOM VROOM LETS GO OFFROADING

butthurt toyota fangirl that's never been in a Suburban detected.

HOLLY COW, BARN ON WHEELS CAN CROSS 4 INCHES OF WATER! CALL THE NEWS!

>off road
>paved surface
I don't see what point you're trying to make, but I don't think you're succeeding.

>implying

Enjoying the "I hate daylight saving" pre-Death Valley trip. Beautiful weather/scenery/wheelin'.

just like your crossover that you "offroad" over parking blocks?

You don't belong here.

Doing brake repairs later today, had a caliper piston sieze up, not sure why but I just got new front brake components anyways because they are long over due.

UAZ project is soon done
Only some interiour work and changing the accumulator left

Check to make sure you haven't overextended a brake line.

Explored some pueblo roads yesterday. Hiked some sandstone outcrops, dicked around at an old gypsum mine, and became acutely aware that I need new shocks.

New shocks? You need a new grill/front end nigga...

To add to the suburban awesomeness.

Showing jeeps and Toyotas how it's done. And they say suburbans can't flex...

More suburban, on 42s...

>sand dunes

>overlanding/camping

>trail riding

>rocks

>mud

A lot of people don't realize just how versatile a Suburban is.

>hating on the grill delete

I'm slowly fixing the front end. You can't really tell from the pic but that's a freshly installed bumper support bar up front. I'm going to paint the new fender this weekend and then start putting the rest of it together.

37 MTRs to 42 Pitbull Rockers?

Torn between 38.5x14.50 TSL SX and 42x15 TSL SX II.
42s obviously have a size advantage and deeper tread, but require another gear swap and a lot more trimming.

How bad are your eyes?

More tire is better then less with a long ass suburban. The 37" MTR military tires to 41.5" PitBull rocker radials. You definitely need more engine to spin those suckers in the mud... Ha

See attached pic for all the trimming I did with ~5" of lift and 41.5" pitbulls.

I was supposed to get glasses but never did, so very. Why?

Should be a better pic of the trimmed fenders with the larger tires...

Remember trimming is free, also gear more then you think you should with the bigger tire. I had 5.13s with 37s, worked very well, but with the 41.5s that gearing wasn't quite enough. But with the 14 bolt rear the lowest you can go is 5.38s. Which still would have been better, with the 41.5s. If you have a Dana 70 HD rear like I have now, that'll go under my K5, then you can gear a whole lot lower, like 6.17 or 7.17 low, but make sure you have an overdrive transmission with that low of gearing.

Engine is going to be an intercooled 6.5 diesel with an HX35 regardless.
Might eventually do 5.13s if I go with 38.5s but 4.88 should be plenty for now. Would definitely want 5.38s if I go to 42s.

I wish Interco would just make a 40x14.50R16.5 TSL SXII

All the lights.

They serve different purposes, not intended to all be run at once.

>I have five Hella 4000s for the roof too

I totally agree, if they made a 40" SX tire I'd buy a set this minute for my K5 build. I'd also like to see PitBull make the rocker radial, or bias tire in a true 40" tire for 16.5" wheels, cuz double bead lock wheels are the shit. I have a set of 24bolt H1 wheels for the K5 as well. Probably gonna end up with the 38x12.50 SXs for it then decide if I want to run 5.13s or jump up to 6.17s, fuck the highway mileage... LOL

40" would require trimming but I know it's doable at my lift height without taking out too much. It's more tire than the 38.5s, but still great for a 5.13 - 5.38 range.

The 42s would require a lot of trimming and I'm stuck with 5.38s still being geared a little higher than I'd like.

I'll probably end up sticking with the 38.5s. Oh well.

With the diesel wouldn't the 5.13/5.38s with the 42s work out great? I thought they liked lower cruising rpm on the highway? I had the 5.7 TBI motor.

4lo.com has a gear calculator, punch in the tire height, and all the other info and it'll tell you the true MPH or RPM at a certain speed. Really nice for doing quick figuring of gears and tires.

The 6.5 not as much as most diesels. The 5.38 would probably be fine but I'd prefer the extra power over 1-2 mpg on the highway.

I prefer the Grimmjeeper calculator.

grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Well lets put it this way, with the 37" military MTRs, 5.13s in the 1 ton axles, and 5.7 TBI I got 14.5 MPG on a 150 mile trip to Altoona. With the 41.5" PitBull rockers, 5.13s and the 5.7 I got 12.5 MPG on the same 150 mile route. Most of that was on the PA turnpike.

That's all GPS verified mileage, not the odometer miles, which were off with the taller tires and lower gears. Also filled up the suburban at the same gas station, Sheetz, in both York before I left and Altoona when I arrived.

Oh, I see.
Sorry the punchline took so long, had to go back to work.

>suburban wins
GM fags are this delusional

>better mileage than fzj80 on smaller tires
You're full of shit

Alright /org/, do you think I should get 31s on my truck? I'm running 30s right now (stock size) and I think 31 is the biggest I can do before I'd have to do some serious grinding and folding away of some pinch welds and plastic bits

I'll probably go with Cooper ATPs since they're aggressive enough for sand but still Highway-friendly. If anyone has any suggestions let me know, though:

tirereviewsandratings.com/cooper-discoverer-atp-tire-review-rating/

Stay btfo cuckrunner

Proper gearing for the tire size makes a huge difference in mileage. I don't need you to believe me, but those are the facts. I gain nothing lying on a Chinese basket weaving forum.

Until you have to make a sharp offset turn on the trail. That wheel base ain't going to help ya none boy.

Toyota fags assblasted this beast is better on gas than their stock Land Cruiser

Also remember that was all highway driving, 150 miles in one shot, no stops. I was more surprises then you when I filled the tank, I tried to add more gas because I didn't believe it shit off at 11ish gallons.

Call me back when your suburban reaches half a million miles on its original engine and transmission

How many times have you taken your 4Runner down a trail only to come across a corner that's too sharp for it, and turn around to go home thinking "Damn I should have bought a Samurai"

Fullsize GM trucks are among the most common light duty vehicles to make it past 1 million miles.

The 4L60s are aren't likely to make it to 500k but a 4L80 will.

Tbh it's not like that gen 4runner is much smaller

Plenty, enough for me to wish that I should get some rock sliders, I don't back down, mostly because I can't turn around, and it shows in the body damage I get. granted that the suburban is bretty good, especially in the overlanding aspect, but it's not a trumps all truck like you guys are trying to selling it to be.

>roburrito slap
are you in 717?

So you just deal with the little bit of body damage and get through it? Same concept in a Suburban.

It doesn't Trump all in that it's better than everything at everything. Your 4Runner being longer than a sammy doesn't mean that the sammy is better because it can do trails you can't, it just means you have to take a little more caution in a few spots to minimize body damage.

For any ONE thing you want to do, you can find a vehicle that does it better than a Suburban. But most people don't have the money or storage for fifteen vehicles so they want one that will do all of it well. The Suburban's ability to do so many things well is what makes it good. The price point is what makes it great.

Nice Xterra

I've never needed a vehicle as large as a suburban, the extra hugeness would just be wasted on me.

Very true and good points, but I still got to refute and say that the suburban it's too long which limits what trails you can go on, if I had to go chevy, a k5 blazer would be on top of my list, same as a suburban, but shorter.

You don't need to go camping either, but there you are.

Yes sir, reppin 717, York...

Has anyone here used a snatchblock or two to do a full 180 degree turn on a trail?

>mfw all this regear talk again
>mfw ill be breaking in my honeypig with fresh yukon 4.88s in just a few short days

why would you want to do this
im sure its possible but there is quite a lot that could go wrong...

But he does, and doesn't require a Suburban to do so.

You don't need to be such a whiny bitch, but here you are. See the OP.
>no whining.

>You don't need to be such a whiny bitch, but here you are.
lol you use this response to everyone you disagree with. not everyone who has a counterpoint is whining.

>you use this response to everyone you disagree with
No, just you. Point me to the last time I used this response, you whiny bitch.

im not that same guy but either youve used it in at least one other thread or it was someone else saying the exact same retarded phrase. either way its not very original.

>N-nobody needs a w-whiny bitch either!

Gold tacoma guy pls go. You've already been BTFO twice now...stop embarrassing yourself.

>You don't need to be such a whiny bitch
Sorry m8, my kettle isn't black.

Trade the truck for a proper 4x4, like a jeep.

shut up blue land cruiser guy
it's monday - shouldn't be drunk by now? :^)

Nah

What'd ya think of the tires, friend?

Coopers are great tires. And if you buy 31s chances are they'll actually be closer to 30s on the truck. If you want 31s, get 32s.

Idk I'm happy with my firestone destination A/Ts. They've worked well in snow, and rocks, not sure about deep sand though.

taylor pls
>implying im sober

Well I never see snow, but soft sand and rocks are mostly what I do. I like the Coopers because they have a good sidewall shoulder that digs when I air down

I was kinda thinking that too desu. If I go to the trouble of fitting 31s I might as well do it all the way and go 32, anyways

I've been eyeing this for a while and it's been a month now. High pricing for a vehicle with 250k on it but a rebuild at the 300k mark should keep it going.
>inb4 UZ swap it for muh delicious torque
>V8 sounds in a land cruiser

What's a fair price for this thing considering he hasn't moved it for a month? 3 inch lift with 33 inch KO2s and lockers in her is worth at least $3000 in aftermarket parts. I would've done that myself too anyway...

kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/cambridge/1997-lexus-lx450-land-cruiser/1238906962?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Seems like a lot. But maybe I just don't know as much. I'd pay 5k but would be willing to do 6 if everything was perfect

honestly his price isnt that far off considering the current market if 'minimal rust' is actually accurate.
if hg has been done i'd have no problem giving him his asking price (probably would offer $7-7.5k) if not id use that as a bargaining tool and open with $4.5-5k since that is a complicated service.

250k sounds like high mileage but i wouldnt blink about purchasing an 80 with more than that assuming it has been taken care of.

ur perfect

I'm more just really digging the body considering Onterrible. There's no quarter rust and I'm almost certain the undercarriage is better than most vehicles. Salt here rips your dick off so you gotta clean it at least once a week which is no doubt what this guy did if he drove it. Which engine do you have in yours and what's the story with the lockers / regearing?

desu, I'm just salty that guy 16 hours north of me sold his '91 for $2500 before I could book time off to overland up there. It had like a $1000 ARB bumper on it, too. Fuck.

I had Destination A/Ts before I got the goodyear wrangler authority A/Ts from walmart, and I didn't like the traction in the wet, especially compared to my goodyears. It was a good quiet tire though, it did ok offroad but with my open diff i found myself spinning on gravel often. The goodyears were about $20 more per tire, but I did go from a 245/70 to a 265/75 so that may have been a lot of the cost. Overall I love my goodyears, great traction on everything I've driven on so far, including red clay, snow and ice. Road noise is quieter than I expected for the tread depth, which is like 21/32" iirc. They clean mud out quickly too, which is nice.

fucking hell this thread is a shit show
the fuck happened to niceposting
why is everyone so combative
who gives a shit what some else drives

Hnnng, I like my ranger but I really want an 80 series. My parents used to have one and it was cool, one of my buddies has one too and it's pretty awesome. Pic related.
Really? In the rain mine have been great, considering the wet winter we got this year.

bless, lanc here

do you know mc?

Amen brother.

I also added 300 pounds to the bed at the same time as I got the tires so that may influence it. I'm not dogging on the Firestone tires, they served me well but I've really come to like the Goodyear tires

Taynger I use for work and am looking for an FJ80 or 60 for overlanding. Bae wanted to rent a vehicle to overland up north and it'd cost like $2000 for a 5 day Rubicon build rental. Might as well just use that money to buy a capable LC instead, desu. So my answer: get both (;

Unfortunatley, I wouldn't be able to get an older TJ if that's the case.

>those rear back seat windows
>dat flex
>the little chemtrails in the distance off the rising mountain
hnnng

Is that yours? How e z are engine rebuilds off the old FZ engines? Looks like there's around a $1000 more price difference between the lexus LX/GXs and the Land cruisers ):

I hear the 60s have major rust issues so I'd probably pass on those if they use salt where you live. Even here by the beach they get rusted out by the salt spray from the ocean.

fuck it im putting a name on for right now since its too tough to keep track of everyone in these specific side convos
fyi the guy you replied to wasnt me lol i said thisbut that said, i agree. if the body/frame are in as good of shape as he says that alone is worth its weight in gold.

mine has the 4.5 1fz-fe in it. same one all 93-97s have. as for my gear/locker problems, i had a driveline whine that i couldnt diagnose so when i took it in, he found pic related. since i needed a new gear anyway i decided to completely regear the truck and put a spartan autolocker in the rear.

>$1000 arb bumper
lol get ready for it. lc parts are so fucking expensive its ridiculous.
>mfw $900 sliders
>mfw $3,000 rear bumpers
>mfw $1,000-$1500 front bumpers
>mfw $1,200 roof racks
to do anything its like $1k minimum

that's a cool frog dude

Nigga please, I think you're doing it wrong. My friend had some dude out in the desert make his sliders for 400 and his front winch bumper for 500.

lol no not my truck. i have the blue one :-)
the 1FZ is fairly easy to rebuild as far as rebuilds go. theres a shit ton of space in the engine bay...relatively small engine in a big truck.
also fyi the lx450 (lexus 80 series) and regular toyota land cruiser 80 series are exactly identical except for side body cladding, a little bit of additional interior sound deadening, slightly different wheels on the lx. everything else is the exact same with the same parts.
down here the toyota 80 series usually goes for slightly more which is kind of weird im guessing bc hipsters love the 'heritage' but idk

info on the light bar replacement in your license plate holder?
how many candlepowers?

im talking about from all the mainline manufacturers, not custom. besides theres no way your friend had a custom front bumper made unless it was a tube bumper and personally i do not like those at all.

It was a tube bumper, look at

Its all fun and games until one person starts saying "my truck is (best/fastes/cheapest) and you're wrong" posting.

ah ok yeah didnt realize that was his truck
personally not a fan of tube bumpers, his actual looks pretty decent though all things considered.

r u trolling me
its working

i need some new pics